• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
I love seeing double Genji as Winston. It's like easy mode. There aren't enough people who will ever get good enough with him, and be playing with another really good Genji, to make it an issue.
The best is when they see they can't get away and then decide to deflect.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Lets get this out of the way. D.VA on defense as a solo tank. Is shit. Roadhog as on offense as a solo tank, also sucks. Those are my two biggest pet peeves for tanks. Hell, Zarya as a solo defense tank... is pretty bad too. Winston and D.VA are not great solo tanks.

It depends on several factors such as the map, team composition, and to a lesser extent team skill. I've been Zarya as the lone tank on Anubis on a few occassions where the enemy team didn't even make it through the main archway. All you need is a half-decent healer and some people to help harrass the frontlines and get your charge up.

You can't really make blanket statements like that. That's what makes this game's meta (non-competetive at least) so varied and entertaining. I like to play D.Va on attack if no one else has gone tank. She can do serious work on payload maps, especially Route 66.

I find Mei really annoying; She just shits on Reinhardt.I might have to be more aggressive with hammering her face but that is hard when she groups up with people. I had one chasing me (notified my team to deal with her) and healing with that shitty i-frame move whenever I fuck her up (pin might kill her if she is low on HP); I used the ult and got her to a pixel and then viola! She uses that move and she's back at full health. She failed to freeze me during overtime because I circled around and jumped over the payload--I kited her ass like a shitty A.I. Those previous three games were amazing even though the second one was me as Widow with a
Hanzo
that refused to switch; we somehow won without a tank (Zenyatta player help the team). I am getting consisted reccs and epic ratings with my Lucio. I still need to play more with offense characters and try Bastion/Torbjorn for once.

I should try characters individually now. I have a couple of characters that I must learn to counter certain opposite team compositions.

Winston is the man...or ape. Just dash in on a couple of overzealous low HP offensive characters and they are dead. I eat bad reapers and Genjis for breakfast.

cHinzo

D.Va and Roadhogs are great tanks for attack imo. Reinhardt too, but I don't like them on defense tbh. Winston gets destroyed by Reapers btw.

I had trouble against a double Zarya comp with a Lucio/Mercy as support. The uptime on those shields made them insanely tanky and they did so much damage. How do you even kill two Zaryas as I usually have trouble killing only one, let alone two.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It doesn't heal full health, btw. If you think it does you haven't been paying attention.

She also can't freeze through your shield, so if you're facing her solo you should be able to out-dps her even if she freezes you once because she needs to get within your range. I usually don't bother soloing reinhardts.

Apathy

"hey you have a positive win percentage and yesterday you had win streaks, well here, today enjoy losing and being paired with the most toxic players this game has to offer" - Overwatch matchmaking

On the bright side, I love trolling toxic little kids. Making them baby rage is fun as I see my win % go back down to 50%

It doesn't heal full health, btw. If you think it does you haven't been paying attention.

She also can't freeze through your shield, so if you're facing her solo you should be able to out-dps her even if she freezes you once because she needs to get within your range. I usually don't bother soloing reinhardts.

She freezed me through my shield. I don't know why but it did; I am almost certain it wasn't her ult. I have a bad connection so that might be it. I am just amazed at how I stunned her with ult, almost got her and she uses that shitty move. And yeah she doesn't restore her full health but she recovers a large amount of it--something like %40-60?

Edit: when she starts freezing me when I am shielding up, I just get stuck and can't move. I am not sure if she is moving to point blank range but I never manage to kill her fast. Then again, 150ping so I can't do anything about it other than practice how to deal with them.

Edit2: I read that you have to jump while shielding up. I will go ape-shit if I every see solo Mei charging at me.

It depends on several factors such as the map, team composition, and to a lesser extent team skill. I've been Zarya as the lone tank on Anubis on a few occassions where the enemy team didn't even make it through the main archway. All you need is a half-decent healer and some people to help harrass the frontlines and get your charge up.

You can't really make blanket statements like that. That's what makes this game's meta (non-competetive at least) so varied and entertaining. I like to play D.Va on attack if no one else has gone tank. She can do serious work on payload maps, especially Route 66.

Just because something works a few occasions doesn't mean it's actually good. I've won games with all offensive characters. Hell, I won ranked games like that. That doesn't mean it's a good strategy at all. I am not saying zarya solo defense tank never works, but that it's not good to work enough. Anything can work. I've won games, even in ranked, with absurdly bad team compositions. The fact that something works every once in a while just doesn't justify it.

Zarya suffers perhaps the most from a death and on defense that means you're at the sufferance of an attack without a tank for a good 20 seconds. And regardless of whether you walk back, teleport, or get a revive, you're starting at 0 charge again. Reinhardt can charge back, winston can hop back, even d.va can fly back. And roadhog often has an element of surprise when he hits the field again, and at least starts at full strength.

You can't just look at it from the perspective of just completely out killing, out damaging and pure out skilling an opponent team who refuses to adapt. You should try to gain meaningful advantages against your opponent through your composition, to maximize your chances of victory. Because after all, you can win with a 6 man hanzo team. But when you do it's because your opponent team was completely outskilled and clueless on how to play the game.

DrArchon

Oh my God, every single fucking match on attack I see some guy lock in a sniper and never try to push the objective. All the do is sit back and get kills. And not even helpful ones like Bastions and Torb turrets. Jesus Christ, what does it take to get people to understand that none of modes in the game are Team Fucking Deathmatch? Is 1 in every 6 players just stupid, because I'm basically guaranteed to see one person as a shitty sniper in every match.

Antiwhippy

She freezed me through my shield. I don't know why but it did; I am almost certain it wasn't her ult. I have a bad connection so that might be it. I am just amazed at how I stunned her with ult, almost got her and she uses that shitty move. And yeah she doesn't restore her full health but she recovers a large amount of it--something like %40-60?

Edit: when she starts freezing me when I am shielding up, I just get stuck and can't move. I am not sure if she is moving to point blank range but I never manage to kill her fast. Then again, 150ping so I can't do anything about it other than practice how to deal with them.

No, she definitely shouldn't be able to freeze through shield. She can walk through the shield to freeze you just like any enemy can walk through his shield to damage him, but by that point you should start swinging.

Also yeah, it heals 140ish, but that should take 2 swings by reinhardt.

Like seriously though, you should have people behind you to attack mei anyway.

Apathy

Edit2: I read that you have to jump while shielding up. I will go ape-shit if I every see solo Mei charging at me.

She will on freeze a rein if she is up close and her gun passes the shield. if that does not happen she only freezes the shield (little icicles) but not the player

Just had someone playing Pharah get sniped right out of spawn and quit only to rejoin as a spectator and then spend the entire game shitting on me while I was messing around with Genji, trying to improve. I love people sometimes. I also love the report feature. ;)

Sorral

I love seeing double Genji as Winston. It's like easy mode. There aren't enough people who will ever get good enough with him, and be playing with another really good Genji, to make it an issue.

Yup, and I find it really hilarious when they ult while there is a Tesla Coil stuck up their mechanical asses. I play Genji a lot and even I know when to get off him during a match, but some people rather lose than switch.

No, she definitely shouldn't be able to freeze through shield. She can walk through the shield to freeze you just like any enemy can walk through his shield to damage him, but by that point you should start swinging.

Also yeah, it heals 140ish, but that should take 2 swings by reinhardt.

Like seriously though, you should have people behind you to attack mei anyway.

My team helped me the last game; I asked them to take out Mei in the chat. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen even if you wait for them to spawn and spam the chat with group up with me message. Some people just like to roam around far away from the team and not make use of their healers and tanks. I like to stick around Rein with Lucio and we almost always get reccs/cards for healing, objective time and damage blocked.

Antiwhippy

My team helped me the last game; I asked them to take out Mei in the chat. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen even if you wait for them to spawn and spam the chat with group up with me message. Some people just like to roam around far away from the team and not make use of their healers and tanks. I like to stick around Rein with Lucio and we almost always get reccs/cards for healing, objective time and damage blocked.

Haha yeah, I feel your pain.

Especially annoying if you're playing against a team that has really good flankers but your team is just running everywhere else and not looking out for your flank.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Everytime I see a Hanzo PotG, I'm amazed how some of those shots instakill people. Like people are aiming at a person's general direction and he gets a kill lol.

He has tree log arrows

Sometimes playing him you really go how the fuck did that arrow hit that person
You have to shoot near the person and it goes off

Man, the past few days and nights have almost made me want to quit this game.

I don't usually rage, either. It's just been such a fucking drag to play quick play in a way that it hasn't been up until lately.

legbone

yep, i play lucio mainly (i do switch it up a lot though, trying to learn every character so i can be proficient with each of them, yeah wishful thinking probably) and i love it when there's a good rein on the team. love rolling with them especially when defending.

Hanzo is so handsome cute.

casual_hanzo_by_monorirogue-da66pxa.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just had one of the most amazing symmetra games on defense in kings row. Mainly because I had over 80% teleporter uptime with 22 people teleported by the end.

Nope. This does nothing if your team is not coordinated to protect you and keep the others torj occupied. You'll get one, maybe two turrets then get destroyed.

Yeah. I play Junkrat all the time and it's an uphill battle if your team isn't pulling their weight. There has to be an extended cooldown if the turret gets destroyed. It's crazy that you can take out a turret and another is up in three seconds. Or at least give them a set range or cone of sight. Because right now, they're nuts.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Got my 300th Victory, 555 Games played
Roughly 55% win rate

Solo like 80%, Group up with GAF 20%

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Always fun to be the only tank throughout an entire game with no support and then when someome FINALLY changes from McRee or 76... They change to Pharah and Hanzo

I just had one of the most amazing symmetra games on defense in kings row. Mainly because I had over 80% teleporter uptime with 22 people teleported by the end.

I love playing as the Goddess on Kings Row. Super easy to hold down the point.

I have been playing more Zennyata this week. He finally clicked for me. So many eliminations, and pulling clutch ults feels great.

This. Good Toblerones can only be countered by coordination on the enemy team and everyone knows that is a nightmare on pubs.

Torbjorn is rarely an issue for me when I solo queue. It's a bigger issue when I play with a premade group where people don't understand their roles for the heroes they pick. This actually seems to happen a lot less often when I play with randoms, but for some reason when I play with gaf premades... ugh.

When I play with good players (I run with a few groups now, some picked up just by friending people from solo queueing), torbjorn is a very easy hero to deal with 90% of the time. Also, when I am solo queued with a torbjorn or bastion on my side, I know I am likely to lose that match because the characters are frankly not that good. And I am happy about that result. I hate turrets in FPS games where they are too strong.

Xeteh

What is it with the fucking gimmick teams today? I saw a few handfuls since the game launched and in 5 matches today I've seen 2. That shit gets old fast.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love playing as the Goddess on Kings Row. Super easy to hold down the point.

She really is the goddess, my favorite thing is jumping into team fights and just beaming people down while they ignore me until it's too late, I can imaging them saying, "lol this laser tickles lemme focus on this tracer fir-WHERE DID MY HEALTH GO?!"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What is it with the fucking gimmick teams today? I saw a few handfuls since the game launched and in 5 matches today I've seen 2. That shit gets old fast.

We lost to a 5 Soldiers / 1 Mercy team today on Route 66, couldnt really find a way to counter it before they blitzed us. Hadnt seen a gimmick match since like day 2 of the game's release to be fair (PC)

She really is the goddess, my favorite thing is jumping into team fights and just beaming people down while they ignore me until it's too late, I can imaging them saying, "lol this laser tickles lemme focus on this tracer fir-WHERE DID MY HEALTH GO?!"

I even started playing as her on Payload Offense. I switch to her for the final push so I can get the teleporter up. It's very effective at getting everyone back onto the front line, and turrets can help protect you from flankers. You need a good team to pull this off though, you'd get wrecked if you tried this with a weak solo q team.

Trey

Great read from competitive reddit on how Solo Q is a better way to learn things than we think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...proving_while_solo_vs_improving_with_a_group/

fuck that. if you're carrying a bad team, it's because the team you're playing is a bad team as well. Finding success in solo queue is either having the grand fortune of teaming with decent players, or reinforcing bad habits that will quickly get exposed in legitimate play against players at or around your skill level.

R0ckman

God damn, game has become impossible in solo que. ALWAYS getting dumb teams, and I mean constanly, not people being very good agaisnt us, but teams when even working together being terrible, 10 seconds left, WHY THE **** IS EVERYONE BACKING OFF THE PAYLOAD AS I RETURN?

kubricks

Now that Mccree is nerfed.... can I play it without being ashame of myself?
I really like that character lol.

(I played it last night and.... it felt more or less the same? I guess the damage reduction didn't make a whole lot of difference other than in professional tournment perhaps?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom