• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

oh my GOD.

I'm the only person on my team attacking the objective.

I'm out.

This game has been out for weeks.

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THIS YET.

It's probably time to just face the fact that Overwatch has a really dumb community. I mean, of course, there's variability in such a large group of people, but the mean competence is that of a turtle on its back who also happens to be severely brain damaged. Even the competent people have started to just fuck around more, going 6 of one hero, going only for trophies, playing Symmetra without turrets, etc. That's just what this game is. Hopefully, ranked mode restores the smallest amount of sanity.

patchday

Had a really great night myself. Got PoTG with Hanzo. My teams were A+ quality, nice balance. I didnt even have to play Healer role once. Guess I'm getting grouped with cream of the crop now

So I just double dipped on the game. Just picked it up on PC.

To be level 1 again. And no costumes.

Gonna add everyone from the master list. Hope to get some late night games in.

R0ckman

It's probably time to just face the fact that Overwatch has a really dumb community. I mean, of course, there's variability in such a large group of people, but the mean competence is that of a turtle on its back who also happens to be severely brain damaged. Even the competent people have started to just fuck around more, going 6 of one hero, going only for trophies, playing Symmetra without turrets, etc. That's just what this game is. Hopefully, ranked mode restores the smallest amount of sanity.

I adamantly do not agree with people who say that match making is fine in this. My wife immediately had problems starting this game, the players she said she was matched with were either too dumb or too skilled.

This is dollar store mm.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well keep in mind that I am talking about zarya as a solo tank on defense. When paired with another tank, I think that is a different story because you have essentially redundancy built in. Your team is less likely to succumb to a push if you have another tank alive in case you die. Zarya and most tanks just synergize really well anyway. Zarya + another tank is one of my favorite things to play in terms of tanking.

I feel like that is true for most tanks.

Rein is the only one I'd be comfortable with solo tank. Winston in a pinch maybe, but only in KotH.

patchday

I adamantly do not agree with people who say that match making is fine in this. My wife immediately had problems starting this game, the players she said she was matched with were either too dumb or too skilled.

This is dollar store mm.

did you explain to her how matchmaking works? The game doesnt know your mmr when yopu're new so yes you'll probably get gutter. But if shes as good as seems to think she is- she should rise fast. That's how MMR works.

also suggest to her to just play Weekly Brawl at beginning!

R0ckman

did you explain to her how matchmaking works? The game doesnt know your mmr when yopu're new so yes you'll probably get gutter. But if shes as good as seems to think she is- she should rise fast. That's how MMR works.

also suggest to her to just play Weekly Brawl at beginning!

I don't think skill and knowing how to play the game are completely interchangeable really. She was able to explain why the people on her team were failing, like not grouping up, ignoring the objective etc.

I became part of the problem just now.

My team was so shitty that I just started playing Toblerone and Tracer to screw around.

I love this game, but there's a problem with the matchmaking that I really only feel like I have fun with a pre-made group.

Blizzard

Banned
Any time someone is frustrated with their team, just remember -- what motivation does someone have to win? You gain:

• Some additional XP (which you don't really need once you have tons of levels)
  • Some personal satisfaction (which you may not care about)
  • Possibly some skill/teamwork improvement (which you may not care about, particularly if you're chasing an achievement, practicing a new character, trying something specific, or goofing off)
  • A minor tick on a statistics page (which you may not care about)

Or to put it another way, once someone has already won 200 games in a non-ranked mode...what difference does one particular game make?

Once ranked mode gets added, we'll see what happens.

I feel like that is true for most tanks.

Rein is the only one I'd be comfortable with solo tank. Winston in a pinch maybe, but only in KotH.

Yeah, I think ideally you want to double up, which I went into length on the original post that sparked the convo. But for pub play, you can't always get the ideal outcome because you got randoms or maybe no one wants to play a tank etc., which was also the focus of the original post.

I think 2:2:2 is a good starting point because even if it turns out you don't need two tanks, you can easily switch out in this game and likely still have a strong core group. Like if they're running bastion, you might want to switch out a tank for a pharah or junk rat.

If ranked mode is what it takes to get people to push a payload then bring it on soon! Seriously. Why does nobody push the damn payload?

If they put in stopwatch people will be extra motivated to get that payload rolling, since at 3 people it moves at max speed. Sometimes I'm playing zarya sitting on the payload watching my energy level drain slowly. People also need to learn what characters are best to sit on the payload or if it is even worth playing aggressive while the payload is going uncontested.

Any time someone is frustrated with their team, just remember -- what motivation does someone have to win? You gain:

• Some additional XP (which you don't really need once you have tons of levels)
  • Some personal satisfaction (which you may not care about)
  • Possibly some skill/teamwork improvement (which you may not care about, particularly if you're chasing an achievement, practicing a new character, trying something specific, or goofing off)
  • A minor tick on a statistics page (which you may not care about)

Or to put it another way, once someone has already won 200 games in a non-ranked mode...what difference does one particular game make?

Once ranked mode gets added, we'll see what happens.

If someone is not interested in trying to win, I'm not sure why the hell they're playing this game, and I actively wish they would sell their copy and never come back.

Got a quadruple kill using Pharah's Ultimate in sync with a Zarya's ult who pulled in a bunch of enemies.

But do I or the Zarya get PotG?

Noooooo

It's a Reaper killing two dudes with an ult in a completely pedestrian time of the match.

Fix that PotG, Blizzard, this shit's dumb. How can you not highlight amazing moments of teamplay?

Got a quadruple kill using Pharah's Ultimate in sync with a Zarya's ult who pulled in a bunch of enemies.

Noooooo

It's a Reaper killing two dudes with an ult in a completely pedestrian time of the match.

Fix that PotG, Blizzard, this shit's dumb. How can you not highlight amazing moments of teamplay?

They should have a teamplay POTG category but right now they do not, so that double kill from reaper may have out scored each of your individual scores, in terms of POTG math.

If they have a POTG category, the highlight intro should be custom for the two or three that contributed, but that'd be way too much work I think lol

kubricks

It quite hard for a computer algorithm to work out what us human thinks is "cool"?
Working out max DPS of the match is much easier in comparison.

Not sure how they can fix the PotG... what sort of criteria should they include in the calculation and then is it implementable?

Blizzard

Banned
If someone is not interested in trying to win, I'm not sure why the hell they're playing this game, and I actively wish they would sell their copy and never come back.
Some of the reasons should be pretty obvious. Please forgive another list:

• Maybe they're trying for an achievement, that particular game.
  • Maybe what they find fun is how a certain character plays, rather than winning per se. I'm competitive, but some people just enjoy playing, win or lose.
  • Maybe they're learning a new heroine/hero, that particular game.
  • Maybe they're goofing off with a friend on voicechat.

Because the reward for winning is so low, all these reasons are valid in my opinion. It's not like they're doing a competitive mode where every win moves you on a ladder.

LiK

I really wish people would push and stop running away. Bubble all I can and its useless if people just don't go for objectives.

kubricks

There are times when I just simply want to try out heroes I am not familiar with, or practice those I am not good at, or I am just chilling out with friends.

It sound like you need to enter some team/tournment of sort and stop playing public games altogether.

Apathy

Noooooo

They could just make it so that POTG isn't a single ult. Like it would have to be a combo of 2 or ore ults at the same time to trigger that being the POTG, otherwise choose the best none ult moment.

I meant at the end of the day it doesn't matter, I don't know why people put so much value in POTG, it gives you nothing. Hell when I get mine and it's just a tire kill I'm like bleck, I could have done better. My non tire POTG are always more interesting

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Some of the reasons should be pretty obvious. Please forgive another list:

• Maybe they're trying for an achievement, that particular game.
  • Maybe what they find fun is how a certain character plays, rather than winning per se. I'm competitive, but some people just enjoy playing, win or lose.
  • Maybe they're learning a new heroine/hero, that particular game.
  • Maybe they're goofing off with a friend on voicechat.

Because the reward for winning is so low (there isn't even a League of Legends style "win of the day"), all these reasons are valid in my opinion. It's not like they're doing a competitive mode where every win moves you on a ladder.

There is a win of the day bonus of +1500XP everday

No one is saying " No Fun Allowed", but seriously how are you going to get better if you don't learn how to push
Do you think a sit back Widowmaker while it says "Overtime" is the best time to chill and get a random kill, while everyone else is rushing to get the point

Were not asking to give 110% if you can't win go back to the jv CoD farm, but for fuck sakes at least work with your teammates and see what's transpiring around you

If they want to goof off they have Weekly or Custom Brawl to enjoy, hell they have a bot mode up to hard difficulty for you and 5 other players to go fuck around in

Quick Play at least you're going to put a little effort into the battle when choosing it
Ranked Play will be Serious Mode, but not fun you putting in effort and your teammates just sitting back till like last 30 secs then rush in cause now they don't care for their precious KDR

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good lord. I lose to Hard bots more than humans.
6 person push is real
bruh I just want to shot rockets
Anyone who plays Reaper should be ashamed of themselves. There's literally no character more embarrassing in every way than him.
Someone has to shoot the tanks when McCree can't. Sorry he's the only person who can.
I like playing Reaper and use the throat slit intro + anime turnip spray

ramyeon

My bad, I didn't know about win of the day 1500.

For the rest, I think some people know HOW to push the payload, they're just not always interested for the reasons mentioned.
This is team based though. You're more than welcome to go and practice heroes with your friends or AI but if you're playing online in a team then you should at least be playing the objective.

Lucio is really hard to play on CP maps. There's just so much nuance to playing him. I don't think there's another support that's as difficult to play as-

ClHrrDsVEAEEtXw.jpg:large

Kappa

Bruh. Only bronze objective time, as a Lucio? C'mon.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My bad, I didn't know about win of the day 1500.

For the rest, I think some people know HOW to push the payload, they're just not always interested for the reasons mentioned.

Then why the in the blue fuck choose Quick Play

Most of the Trophies you do need require teamwork
Some are solo oriented
It still requires you to push hard to get the right setup to achieve it

Hey Bob let's play objective mode, but don't go for the objective
KOTH same thing why not push into the point its the main point of said mode...

Blizzard

Banned
This is team based though. You're more than welcome to go and practice heroes with your friends or AI but if you're playing online in a team then you should at least be playing the objective.
I don't want to belabor the point, but I'll point out again: From an abstract perspective, ask yourself why this is true? Who gets to decide how a player "should" be playing? With the limited modes currently in the game, and the issues with player vs. AI, there are some obvious motivations I listed for people to sometimes ignore normal teamplay.

Obviously this negatively affects some players, but a game isn't a system of morality where there's a strict right and wrong. Instead, a game is something that's probably intended to be fun, and what's fun is different for different people, maybe even at different times. If what's fun for the most people coincides with what a game encourages and what game modes are available, then great.

Imagine it as a sort of "fun economy". Blizzard can affect the experience by adding things like ranked mode, but ultimately players determine the experience by choosing what's most valuable (fun / ranking / whatever) to them, or leaving the game entirely.

Some people may want their own definition of fun to reign supreme, and all those who disagree to leave completely, but ultimately some compromise will probably be reached instead.

Then why the in the blue fuck choose Quick Play
Because the only alternative is vs. AI (obvious problems compared to playing against real humans) or custom (not enough people) or Brawl (obvious limitations).

Once ranked is added, then I'm more in agreement. Instead, it's casual meets competitive, and everyone is in the same melting pot.

While we lost a bunch of them, I had a really pleasant set of games yesterday with strangers. People were so uncharacteristically friendly and helpful. People were asking to relieve others of their roles if they wanted to. People were complimenting eachother and even the other team on good plays. It was nice.

Anyone who plays Reaper should be ashamed of themselves. There's literally no character more embarrassing in every way than him.
Nothing is brings more shame than seeing yourself on the Play of the Game highlights as a Symmetra or Torbjorn. Half the time you're just sitting there reloading your weapon, or walking to a health pack. Good turret placement and upkeep takes plenty of skill, but it still feels bad to see a congratulatory clip of you doing nothing.

Dragner

Yesterday I tried new things...but still have to pick mercy a bunch because nobody picked healer. Tried Reaper(didnt like it), Junkrat (loved it) and Tjorbjorn (was ok, but I didnt do much, got POTG just smashing my turret).

Overall my mmr is garbage because I lose a lot and my teams are dumb as fuck. 90% of the time my loses were because my team just sucked at killing or they picked wrong heroes and got countered a lot. Still lots of fun.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Tracer is usually easy for me, shield and lob grenades. The spread usually scares her off or kills her. Mei is the worst when I'm playing Zarya though. Reinheart is also tough to fight, he pins her so easily and I don't know if the shield stops his hammer. And Zen's orb.

Yeah Tracers scare easy enough, I suppose.
I find getting close to Reinhardt with his shield up is often quite effective at disorienting him, and you can get a cheeky barrier up while training your beam on him to do some damage. Gotta make sure your team is nearby forcing him to keep his shield up though, because like you say his charge presents a risk.

Well keep in mind that I am talking about zarya as a solo tank on defense. When paired with another tank, I think that is a different story because you have essentially redundancy built in. Your team is less likely to succumb to a push if you have another tank alive in case you die. Zarya and most tanks just synergize really well anyway. Zarya + another tank is one of my favorite things to play in terms of tanking.

Makes sense. Kinda like playing Zen when there's another more mobile support.

I'll keep that in mind as long as you keep in mind that she's actually pretty cute.

It quite hard for a computer algorithm to work out what us human thinks is "cool"?
Working out max DPS of the match is much easier in comparison.

Not sure how they can fix the PotG... what sort of criteria should they include in the calculation and then is it implementable?

I mean they go with DPS, and the DPS on that instance was quite high. I'm actually legit confused about how it wasn't PotG considering the magnitude of damage that was done was considerably higher than what they actually did pick.

I peeked over at my personal Highlights section and the moment was right there. Obviously it was able to recognize it was noteworthy, but for whatever reason the game picked the Reaper. I think the math they're running on is just borked.

They could just make it so that POTG isn't a single ult. Like it would have to be a combo of 2 or ore ults at the same time to trigger that being the POTG, otherwise choose the best none ult moment.

I meant at the end of the day it doesn't matter, I don't know why people put so much value in POTG, it gives you nothing. Hell when I get mine and it's just a tire kill I'm like bleck, I could have done better. My non tire POTG are always more interesting

I almost never care about PotG but that was a legit "HOLY FUCK THAT WAS AMAZING" moment, even had some people sounding off in chat. Even popped Pharah's "kill 4 enemies before touching the ground" achievement and everything.

Repo Man

Kudos to you sir for being such a nice person. You wouldn't want to know the things I wish in my mind when I get teamed with the sort of players you described. Hint: its not a big bowl of ice cream for everyone.

Heng

nice gif though.
Looks great.
One thing people don't consider though for the POTG aspect is that the one that is picked is picked because they did more damage. Like once I got a quintuple kill and got like 4 kills at 100% damage dealt and 1 at like 80%. Even if someone got a sextuplet in the same match, but only finished off weakened characters, I'd get the POTG because mine had a bigger numeric impact and that's just the math being math I guess.
Yeah I think his ult was well deserved since we were struggling with the last push. At least I'll have this gif now. :)

That's amazing. I've been playing a little with Reinhart but I haven't been able to pin anyone yet.
It gets a lot easier with time. I had trouble with it too til I started aiming for where they're going instead of where they're currently standing.

Another highlight from me, except I'm using Hanzo and I got 5 eliminations. I stole potg from a junkrat who stopped their last push with a triple kill. Feels good :)

Ketch

I played a shit ton of TF2 back in the day, a lot of it on the GAF server. I never raged about teammates in that game like I do in this game.

Maybe it's because I knew most of the people on both teams? Or maybe because TF2 is not so much about countering the other teams comp, or maybe I was just more layed back then?

Anyone else experience this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom