• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Yesterday finally got some PoTG's. Both with Soldier 76. After a few hours in, I'm finally getting a hang of this game. Start to recognise counters and stuff, beginning to know the layouts of most maps, ...

Only thing is I am limiting myself too much to a few heroes I'm pretty good at (Soldier 76, Junkrat, Tracer ...) I need to force myself playing the others too, to get a hang of them, but it's too tempting to return to the usual suspects when you still struggle with the abilities etc.

Having a real blast with this game though. I'm not a big online shooter fan, as I am easily bored by the repetition after a while, but this just feels too good and has enough variation. It also isn't as frustrating as a Call of Duty can be, as smart play is as important as skill. And, in this game I don't give a fuck if I loose or win (allthough I allways play the objective, and love winning), I just wanna have fun.

peakish

Yeah I think his ult was well deserved since we were struggling with the last push. At least I'll have this gif now. :)
It's a great gif!

There are probably a ton of extra variables they could add or reweigh to make POTGs more exciting but it's always going to be difficult for a computer to pick out an exciting moment for humans to watch. I'm often more interested in plays that break standstills or finally capture points, like a push that finally gets the payload moving when close to the time limit and the game or section was won by that push. Then again, the further away from the final moment this push happened, the less impressive it will seem to observers who have to transport their mind into a limited view without a lot of the surrounding context of the play. In that sense it will bias towards less great looking plays which may have been more critical for the game and people will keep whining.

I'd love it if they could add shared POTGs for eg. Zarya/Mei + someone else and weigh towards those, but that would probably be way off and less important than fixing the more immediate problems with the algorithm.

I don't envy their design team for working on this system but if they can fix it they'll probably feel great.

Just had the absolute worst night I've ever had in this game. I've been gone for about 1.5 weeks on vacation and was expecting the community to level up but it seems they got worse. Out of the 15 games I played I only won 2. Most of team comps were Toblerones on attack and tracers on defense.

I'm not saying I'm the best player ever but I do have enough common sense to realize when something isn't working. How often are there GAF groups looking to team up on PC? Usually playing at night PST.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I played a shit ton of TF2 back in the day, a lot of it on the GAF server. I never raged about teammates in that game like I do in this game.

Maybe it's because I knew most of the people on both teams? Or maybe because TF2 is not so much about countering the other teams comp, or maybe I was just more layed back then?

Anyone else experience this?
I think I could carry harder in TF2? Not sure tbh.
Never got nearly as upset, probably due to finding myself in more situations with fewer outs (Ultimates, 3v1, inability to disengage) and more time to win a skill fight?

ISOM

Just had the absolute worst night I've ever had in this game. I've been gone for about 1.5 weeks on vacation and was expecting the community to level up but it seems they got worse. Out of the 15 games I played I only won 2. Most of team comps were Toblerones on attack and tracers on defense.

I'm not saying I'm the best player ever but I do have enough common sense to realize when something isn't working. How often are there GAF groups looking to team up on PC? Usually playing at night PST.

Tracer on defense is not bad. Try having Hanzo and Widowmaker on your team on attack.(at the same time) :(

zonezeus

Playing against Torbjorn + Symmetra + Bastion on Hanamura (or to lesser extent on any other map) is a definition of hell. Seriously, I'm bloody sick of Torbjorn's turrets especially, I hope he'll be the next to be nerfed.

I played a shit ton of TF2 back in the day, a lot of it on the GAF server. I never raged about teammates in that game like I do in this game.

Maybe it's because I knew most of the people on both teams? Or maybe because TF2 is not so much about countering the other teams comp, or maybe I was just more layed back then?

TF2 classes generally have a higher skill ceiling, so it's easier for a great player to carry.

TF2 pubs are also 12v12, so there's more room for bad players and unnecessary classes on a team. There's a reason pubs went from 8v8 and 6v6 to 12v12 after a few months.

jeemer

got some potgs last night which felt good :) found myself using a bit of d.va, bastion, torbs and pharah. i also realised that i genuinely enjoy playing each of the support characters in this game.

i feel like the main reason overwatch is more inherently frustrating when the team doesn't work together is just because it's limited to 6v6. even 1 person not pulling their weight is much more obvious than in a tf2 12v12, or 10v10 etc.

i didn't play the beta so I've been playing the last couple of nights trying to get to grips with things, but i'm going to have to take the next step and add uk/eu folks from gaf tonight. when a team works together in overwatch it really feels great, but i can only deal with rolling the dice on pugs so many times in an evening.

got some potgs last night which felt good :) found myself using a bit of d.va, bastion, torbs and pharah. i also realised that i genuinely enjoy playing each of the support characters in this game.

i feel like the main reason overwatch is more inherently frustrating when the team doesn't work together is just because it's limited to 6v6. even 1 person not pulling their weight is much more obvious than in a tf2 12v12, or 10v10 etc.

i didn't play the beta so I've been playing the last couple of nights trying to get to grips with things, but i'm going to have to take the next step and add uk/eu folks from gaf tonight. when a team works together in overwatch it really feels great, but i can only deal with rolling the dice on pugs so many times in an evening.

Ill be on tonight. 9 ish GMT
Are you on PS4?

ElyrionX

Two Winstons were creating absolute hell for our team on Route 66 defense last night. I was Genji and it just wasn't working. We had Hanzo and Widow and Torb and no one was changing their character despite us getting rekt. So I switched to Reaper who I had only played once or twice before since I figured he would be better at the kind of range Winston operates at. It worked like a charm. I wrecked the both of them multiple times and stopped dead their push for a good few minutes. Unfortunately, they were smart enough to switch to McCree and something else so they still managed to win the game. But still it felt good to singlehandedly make a very bad situation better just by switching to a counter hero.

Meanwhile, our Widow never switched the whole game and at the final defensive point when they had a mass of heroes pushing the payload, did not even manage to get one elimination and even in the dying seconds, did not bother to grapple to the payload to try to buy us some time while we respawned.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Now that Mccree is nerfed.... can I play it without being ashame of myself?
I really like that character lol.

(I played it last night and.... it felt more or less the same? I guess the damage reduction didn't make a whole lot of difference other than in professional tournment perhaps?)

He's my most played hero, before the nerf I was running around with basically impunity to kill anyone 1v1, and often 1v2, now I can still do that but I actually have to play well, before I could miss half my FtH shots and still secure the kill, but now I have to hit them all to kill a Reaper for example. The nerf will really hurt bad McCree's but good McCree's will still do just fine. I can definitely feel the difference vs tanks, Roadhog 1v1 is impossible now unless he's truly terrible as you cannot kill him in stun/fan > roll/fan anymore (565 dmg vs his 600hp), so you need an additional reload and if you have time to do all that before he kills you then he's dog shit tier and you'll rarely find anyone that bad.

Had one of those Overwatch nights seen others talking about in this thread - 7 games, all losses. They were fairly close but all losses.

The only one that really stings was King of the Hill on Ilios, the round where the point is right next to the cliff. We were in Overtime and about to lose and after a massive battle on the point, everyone on their team was dead except for a Junkrat standing in the point and everyone on our team was dead besides a Lucio skating around outside.

What does the Lucio do? Skate around outside the point, firing in at Junkrat, until the Overtime bar expires and we lose.

WHY.

Azoor

Playing against Torbjorn + Symmetra + Bastion on Hanamura (or to lesser extent on any other map) is a definition of hell. Seriously, I'm bloody sick of Torbjorn's turrets especially, I hope he'll be the next to be nerfed.

There are ways to deal with such situation, like having a sniper get them while he is behind Reinhardt's shield, or if you know the map well you could use a Genji to swiftly dal with them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Had one of those Overwatch nights seen others talking about in this thread - 7 games, all losses. They were fairly close but all losses.

The only one that really stings was King of the Hill on Ilios, the round where the point is right next to the cliff. We were in Overtime and about to lose and after a massive battle on the point, everyone on their team was dead except for a Junkrat standing in the point and everyone on our team was dead besides a Lucio skating around outside.

What does the Lucio do? Skate around outside the point, firing in at Junkrat, until the Overtime bar expires and we lose.

WHY.

I'm convinced like 70% of the playerbase don't fully understand the overtime mechanic.

TheBear

Really having trouble getting into a group. Are there no Aussies playing this game? How's the latency if I jump on with a US group? How do you guys get groups going?

It's a bit tricky, yeah, but there are many ways around this. Widowmaker and Hanzo is one approach. I personally don't play sniper, so I'd pick Reaper, Genji or D.Va and flank from the left side. You can quickly make your way over the wall and get inside the house and then on to the point. D.Va takes out Symmetra's turrets easily, and Genji takes out Torbjörn turrets and Bastion (as long as Torbjörn doesn't have his ult ready, of course).

Banzai

I wonder where all the dumb no skill overwatch losers hang out on the internet, since this thread tells me neogaf consists solely of people who are the only ones on their team that know how to play the objective.

kidding.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If ranked mode is what it takes to get people to push a payload then bring it on soon! Seriously. Why does nobody push the damn payload?

This is why I'm happy to continue playing on teams with my friends.

ElyrionX

I wonder where all the dumb no skill overwatch losers hang out on the internet, since this thread tells me neogaf consists solely of people who are the only ones on their team that know how to play the objective.

kidding.

People who care enough about a videogame to talk about it on a forum tend to be the ones who are more motivated to get good at it.

ramyeon

Really having trouble getting into a group. Are there no Aussies playing this game? How's the latency if I jump on with a US group? How do you guys get groups going?
I'm in Australia and playing on PS4. Haven't had any connection issues really. A few hiccups here and there.

kromeo

lol that team raging at me for not getting on the point in overtime, because a solo mercy is going to buy so much time against a full team...

That feeling when you get several PotGs as Symmetra. Now that she's clicked with me, she is so damn strong. I think a lot of people don't know how to handle an aggressive Symmetra and it becomes very easy to put them in panic mode when I melt through 3 of their team members in a couple seconds. Also I caused one guy to lose his shit when he very stupidly kept trying to attack my 6 turret bunker as Winston. At one point he even used his ult and I still melted through his health like it was nothing and I'm pretty sure he gave up on everything.

Ain't nobody suspect the Symmetra.

peakish

kidding.
Selection bias. It's easy to notice bad team players but not those pulling their weight.

Son Of D

Another legendary! This time for McCree. Hasn't been nerfed yet on console so maybe I'll abuse that fact hehe.

I'm convinced like 70% of the playerbase don't fully understand the overtime mechanic.

Likewise. I've seen times where I'm guarding the payload on defence and the enemy team just run away from it to regroup, not realising that by doing so they're letting the overtime timer go down.

Can a kind soul link me to the website where I can see my ranking?

http://masteroverwatch.com/

peakish

lol that team raging at me for not getting on the point in overtime, because a solo mercy is going to buy so much time against a full team...
I mean, there's a point in never giving up but if the rest of your team is far away it realistically won't make a difference. Depends.

I hope that no-one chewing you out for it has ever left a game before the results screen.

kromeo

I mean, there's a point in never giving up but if the rest of your team is far away it realistically won't make a difference.

I hope that no-one chewing you out for it has ever left a game before the results screen.

All 5 of them were back at the spawn point, I just like having a laugh at other people's rage

Repo Man

Just played a game where my team ( myself included ) struggled to counter pick heroes a bit so I stumbled on this RockPaperShotgun guide on the subject and thought I'd drop it here for anyone who is still learning all the ropes.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/09/overwatch-character-counter-list/

Its probably been posted before but I must have missed it and its probably not the most in-depth guide out there but its pretty well written and compiled so its easy to follow and understand.

scoobs

I just came across a level 245 player on PC. That's gotta be the equivalent of 10 hours a day since launch. I haven't seen anyone remotely close to 245.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just came across a level 245 player on PC. That's gotta be the equivalent of 10 hours a day since launch. I haven't seen anyone remotely close to 245.

http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/level

278 is currently the highest, without a doubt he's feeling the effects of playing so much. When I did the HWL grind in WoW I was playing literally all day apart from food breaks and I felt so ill after awhile.

Bluth54

When you have 12 players per team it's not that big of a deal if one or two people on your team suck or are goofing off. When there's only 6 people on your team just one bad team member can be a disaster.

Nyx

That feeling when you get several PotGs as Symmetra. Now that she's clicked with me, she is so damn strong. I think a lot of people don't know how to handle an aggressive Symmetra and it becomes very easy to put them in panic mode when I melt through 3 of their team members in a couple seconds. Also I caused one guy to lose his shit when he very stupidly kept trying to attack my 6 turret bunker as Winston. At one point he even used his ult and I still melted through his health like it was nothing and I'm pretty sure he gave up on everything.

Ain't nobody suspect the Symmetra.

Winston should have destroyed your 6 turrets in 2 seconds, his gun is the best for clearing Sym's turrets imo.

But yeah, Sym is my favorite too! :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My problem with zenyatta, if i pick him no one else will go healer and if there's already one they'll change to something else.

I have this problem with Zarya too actually. I don't want to use her as a main tank much, I like double tank with her, same with Zen as an additional support.

But the moment you try to do that someone backs off.

Seriously, I'm bloody sick of Torbjorn's turrets especially, I hope he'll be the next to be nerfed.
He won't be. The problem Blizzard have is that one Torbjorn is sort of underpowered, but if you stack four or five of them with something smart, it becomes an absolute hellscape of MOOOOLTEN COOOORE unless the opposing team all switches and all coordinates to deal with it. It's a nightmare to balance while hero stacking is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom