• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's amazing to me so many people don't get this. I've been playing Mercy a lot more the last couple days and I'll have matches where I won't die or die just once the entire game. I can't believe it. It's like I'm invisible sometimes to the other team.

This has been the case for team based pvp since the dawn of time.

so is the gaf community pretty open to new players here (pc)? i wanna get this but it seems VERY team/objective based so i dont wanna go in alone most of the time.

There is a direct correlation between teams that instantly all lock in offense characters and players who are complete trash. This is probably also why my Symmetra winrate is so good - I only pick her when I'm already on a team that made smart character choices.

Whenever I play pub matches, I always wait to be the last person to choose if I can. If I get a generally balanced team, I pick somebody that helps the team out overall. If I get a team that has no cohesion and/or is ill-suited for the objective, I choose whatever character I want and use the match to go trophy hunting instead.

ClLFQEqWAAAc-oc.jpg

deffinately saving my gold I guess

have 4k in gold, I am ready.

so is the gaf community pretty open to new players here (pc)? i wanna get this but it seems VERY team/objective based so i dont wanna go in alone most of the time.
Everyone I've played with has been fairly chill, and tolerant of new players. The only thing to bear in mind is that GAF loves to win every single game in a stack. As long as you're responsive to feedback and willing to change hero at decisive moments then you should be fine.

abundant

It's amazing to me so many people don't get this. I've been playing Mercy a lot more the last couple days and I'll have matches where I won't die or die just once the entire game. I can't believe it. It's like I'm invisible sometimes to the other team.

Conversely, it sucks when you play a team that knows what they are doing and has a Reaper or Tracer hunting you down for the entire match.

Apathy

Don;t play against me. I make a suicidal beeline to healers to make them scramble, their teams rarely care, they are too busy trying to kill my team

Everyone I've played with has been fairly chill, and tolerant of new players. The only thing to bear in mind is that GAF loves to win every single game in a stack. As long as you're responsive to feedback and willing to change hero at decisive moments then you should be fine.

alright, thanks. is everybody using a mic or is text chat fine too?

Conversely, it sucks when you play a team that knows what they are doing and has a Reaper or Tracer hunting you down for the entire match.
Blows my mind when I'm being shot down by a reaper and my team mate doesn't even look around to help me. My health gauge is right on your screen jerk.
alright, thanks. is everybody using a mic or is text chat fine too?
Usually in game chat, occasionally discord with the people I play with. No requirement for mic but useful to be in discord to hear calls.

LiK

It sucks to be constantly killed by one player who seems to ignore everyone else to come after you. When I was doing well as Zarya, this dipshit Junkrat player kept hunting me down with Rip-Tire. All my deaths from that game was just his Rip-Tire. Guess he got sick of me killing his team lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
It sucks to be constantly killed by one player who seems to ignore everyone else to come after you. When I was doing well as Zarya, this dipshit Junkrat player kept hunting me down with Rip-Tire. All my deaths from that game was just his Rip-Tire. Guess he got sick of me killing his team lol

Save your barrier. ;)

abundant

It's actually a trick that only a few know of ever since that myths video.

I'm kind of surprised Blizzard didn't fix this exploit already with the latest patch. Now that the Reaper KOTH and Symmetra Dorado exploits are fixed, this seems to be the only big one left (for now).

Baliis

Oh good, I'm not crazy. Was asking about this last night.

I never dropped below 60 pre patch, but now I'll sometimes drop to 50 in the character select and 40-45 during hectic moments.

Azoor

I'm kind of surprised Blizzard didn't fix this exploit already with the latest patch. Now that the Reaper KOTH and Symmetra Dorado exploits are fixed, this seems to be the only big one left (for now).

It wasn't as well known as those up until recently.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745196110#post-7

Kaplan on replays
We very badly want to give players replay functionality. Our engine is built so that it works. It actually works internally, which sort of pains us because we know how badly players want the feature. Right now, even though the game was architected with replays in mind, it's a non-trivial amount of work to make it a player-facing feature. What we have internally is not scalable to 10 million+ people.

We do have a lot of knowledge around the studio from our other games in regards to getting this functionality into your hands someday. Right now, our roadmap has us working on Highlights improvements first before attempting to tackle replays (same people work on those features).

tl;dr: It's a big goal for us but a tremendous amount of work so not on the immediate horizon

Hopefully it includes an export feature, although that seems unlikely.

Craazyville

Neo Member
I was honestly kind of hoping for new skins this month, but it sounds like we've got a bit of a wait still.

There is a direct correlation between teams that instantly all lock in offense characters and players who are complete trash. This is probably also why my Symmetra winrate is so good - I only pick her when I'm already on a team that made smart character choices.

I really need to consider doing this.....I mostly play as Mercy and I'll be damned if Zenyatta isnt an auto-loss. If that robo-tool is on my team its a wipe. Maybe I'll have to kick it over to Soldier 76 when I see Zenyucky.

rsniper59

Neo Member
Finally added my username to the GAF list. Hoping to see some of you online! I've been mostly playing with randoms, with a few games here and there with friends. It's much better with coordination...

Mupod

That's the problem. I used it and he waits for it to go away or when I'm fighting his buddies to kill me. Dude was relentless lol

I've had those rare Junkrats that circle me with their tire until the barrier wears off.

It's usually not an issue and it's more funny than anything else. The only times I can't kill it are when I'm at 0 energy. I still at least have time to put some distance between myself and my team, if he only gets me that's almost in our favor anyways.

Sometimes I get so pissed off at a Mei getting lucky and catching me with my bubbles down that I start going after them exclusively. For some reason she only pisses me off on Zarya, and only because I feel like I shouldn't be dying to that character.

This FPS stuff explains a lot. Over the last couple days I felt like I had to work really extra hard to get my aim right. I've been playing more tanks than usual since it requires less tracking, which is the only reason why my W/L ratio hasn't plummeted a ton, although it has dropped a bit.

I also had 2 days of basically all time low KDAs.

Strider

I had fps issues at first after the patch but I swapped from Fullscreen to Borderless Windowed at it runs the same as it did pre-patch now... Definitely weird though.

Ullus

One time a Roadhog hooked me as a D.Va when I had my ult ready. And he was standing right next to two of his other teammates. It was fun to watch them from from "Ha ha!" To "Oh shit!"

Bating as D.VA is so much fun. Ever more so if the Roadhog, or his teammates, starts raging in chat.

Just keep practicing landing your hooks. Eventually youll figure out "the trick" to it, and start landing them more efficiently. There a little anticipation on it. Try and predict where the opponent will be when you throw the hook. If youve ever thrown a football before, i compare it to that. You dont want to throw it directly to the reciever, you want to throw it to where they will be when the ball gets there. Same with the hook. If youre super close to the enemy though, you can usually just aim and hit shift and get them reliably.

My one big tip is that when you do hook someone, try and take a step forward before blasting them. Make sure your reticle is covering their body/head. By taking that one step forward before immediately shooting them, you can usually one shot almost anyone in the game. By getting closer, you increase your damage (obviously). However, some characters you want to blast immidietely (reapers, tracers, meis) because they can counter your hook by phasing out. So in those cases, the quicker the better.

The most important thing, constantly spam your heal. Its become second nature to me at this point. But ALWAYS use your E. Always.

Another HUGE tip. You can counter almost any ultimate. Reaper's Die Die Die, hook them out of it as soon as you see him. You can save so many people by doing this. Same with Pharra, get your sky hooks ready and pull her before she can rain justice from above. This goes for alot of characters, but the hook can be the ultimate counter to some of the best ultimates in the game. Make it your duty to counter those characters.

Thanks. Didn't know the bit about stepping forward a little after a successful hook. The handful of games that I did get to use Roadhog I was hitting a hook percentage of at least 65%+. I usually play Lucio so I have a pretty good handle on aiming where targets will be at. I actually hooked a reaper out of his ult on my 2nd game playing as him.

You might be getting lucky then. When I play Lucio the whole team stops what they're doing to put me in the ground. It works to my advantage though, since I'll kite them all over the map, leaving the objective open.

Reinhardt's shield will take a bunch of damage from it. It just doesn't have damage falloff. If you're within X distance, you're going to take 1k damage(or whatever it is).

I don't think that's true. The drop off distance is just further away than you would expect.

Otherwise i'm not sure why it would have a knockback effect but no damage at further distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom