• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksan

Well the current meta I see at least 50% of games that's obscenely effective is multiple Torjborn's or multiple bastions on defense, with a tank (Usually reinhart)/healer. I'm fine leaving Bastion as is, if they make each character unique to a team.

I just started playing Overwatch, but I simply don't understand how they left that balancing element out.

LOL

R0ckman

Meta?

Pro players never play Torbjörn. One Bastion happens occasionally, but it's really rare. You'll be hard pressed to find someone in a Overwatch tourney using "multiple Torbjörn's or Bastions".

Bastions only really appear on lower levels and lower mmrs. When I first started playing this game, I used him A LOT because he was really effective. Now? Useless. He's extremely easy to counter. Trust me, when you level up, you're going to stop seeing Bastions. Torbjörn's remain though. They're also easy to counter, but they're still really, really useful against un-organized teams.

The MMR is jank in solo queue, I rarely see him but when I do he is still giving people problems. And people are ignoring him, when I do group he rarely appears at all.

I'm talking about general play (The vast majority of players) and how it essentially ruins the fun for everyone. It's in every other fucking match and without coordination, which you cannot have with randoms (I've tried) they just run in an get annihilated until the timer runs out. It's stupid, easily solved by making characters unique.

Again: you've just started playing Overwatch, like you said yourself. Don't you think it's a little bit too early for you to be judging the balance of the game or the meta of it? Once more: when you get more playtime, level up, and get a higher mmr, you'll change your mind. Everyone does.

And no. "A vast majority" of players don't play him. It's not in every other "fucking" match. Try to counter him! As you level up and get more playtime, you'll start getting matched with people who've also learned to counter him, and then you'll rarely see him again.

I think one of the difficulties with balancing a game like this is that the game is played both by newcomers and veterans and in organized teams and un-organized teams, and it's hard to balance a character for all these audiences. Rookies always complain about Bastion being OP, and veterans complain about him being too weak. I guess that's just how it is.

The MMR is jank in solo queue, I rarely see him but when I do he is still giving people problems. And people are ignoring him, when I do group he rarely appears at all.

When someone switches to Bastion mid-game, it can have the element of surprise and kill a bunch of people. Once that moment is over though, he's a goner. Never seen a Bastion survive for long.

I see so this is going to be a git gud thread huh

How would preventing people from having multiples of a character on a team be a bad thing, if anything it would add more variety and force people to play characters outside their comfort zones occasionally. As it is, I at least see 2 Junkrats or Phara's per team depending on the map as it is when they aren't all stacking on characters. (Keep in mind this is group playing, I play with 2 friends so we always get put against pre-mades).

Again: you've just started playing Overwatch, like you said yourself. Don't you think it's a little bit too early for you to be judging the balance of the game or the meta of it? Once more: when you get more playtime, level up, and get a higher mmr, you'll change your mind. Everyone does.

And no. "A vast majority" of players don't play him. It's not in every other "fucking" match. Try to counter him! As you level up and get more playtime, you'll start getting matched with people who've also learned to counter him, and then you'll rarely see him again.

I think one of the difficulties with balancing a game like this is that the game is played both by newcomers and veterans and in organized teams and un-organized teams, and it's hard to balance a character for all these audiences. Rookies always complain about Bastion being OP, and veterans complain about him being too weak. I guess that's just how it is.

How do you counter a Capture zone entirely surrounded by bastions or Torjborn's that have 360 degree coverage of each-other with randoms who can't coordinate. I can counter one, maybe two with Genji, Phara, Zarya etc. But not 6.

I have 11 hours of play, I think that's enough to see if something is kind if idiotic. I personally don't even like not being locked into characters though... so maybe this game just isn't for me.

How would preventing people from having multiples of a character on a team be a bad thing, if anything it would add more variety and force people to play characters outside their comfort zones occasionally. As it is, I at least see 2 Junkrats or Phara's per team depending on the map as it is when they aren't all stacking on characters. (Keep in mind this is group playing, I play with 2 friends so we always get put against pre-mades).

I wouldn't take quick play too seriously. Just enjoy it for what it is and do what you want, learn the maps and characters. The meta wont properly appear unless you are playing professionally or in the higher ranks until the competitive mode is implemented.

People seem to be increasingly toxic the higher you climb the MMR ladder. I'm having to mute+block+avoid at least one player every match.

On the bright side, last 3 loot boxes I got Bedouin Genji, Sunyatta and Bloodhardt.

I find that sometimes the pub community is absolute cancer, other times they say nothing and very occasionally they say something that doesn't make you want to slit your wrists.

ksan

it's more your usage of meta, when you're obviously wrong, just gives me flashbacks to sc2 and dota

That was my point, I'd like to see character stacking restricted. Unique hero's.

Look. Hero stacking has been discussed tons and still is, even over at Blizzard. Maybe there'll be no character stacking in the competitive mode, who knows.

Anyway, you can still take out all of those turrets. I assume you mean on something like Hanamura Point A where snipers can't really get them (except Hanzo's ricochet)? You stand behind the wall and use Pharah or Junkrat. D'va can use her ultimate, and can also tank them pretty well herself. Bastions? Hanzo's ultimate will take care them, and Genji too. McCree will do some work too if it's applicable. If McCree can take out one Bastion before he dies on Hanamura Point A, then his life was worthwhile as Bastion will spawn further away. On other levels with more open points, multiple Bastions and Torbjörns are not much of a concern since everyone with decent range can have a field day.

I play with randoms all the time and it's kind of a hit and miss with this. Sometimes we have zero problems taking out multiple Bastions or Torbjörns, and sometimes it gets tricky. But most people just know what to do at this point.

Again: you'll learn in time, don't worry. Like I said, I think balancing for both newcomers and veterans is difficult.

Look. Hero stacking has been discussed tons and still is, even over at Blizzard. Maybe there'll be no character stacking in the competitive mode, who knows.

Anyway, you can still take out all of those turrets. I assume you mean on something like Hanamura Point A where snipers can't really get them (except Hanzo's ricochet)? You stand behind the wall and use Pharah or Junkrat. D'va can use her ultimate, and can also tank them pretty well herself. Bastions? Hanzo's ultimate will take care them, and Genji too. McCree will do some work too if it's applicable. If McCree can take out one Bastion before he dies on Hanamura Point A, then his life was worthwhile as Bastion will spawn further away. On other levels with more open points, multiple Bastions and Torbjörns are not much of a concern.

I play with randoms all the time and we it's kind of hit and miss with this. Sometimes we have zero problems taking out multiple Bastions or Torbjörns, and sometimes it gets tricky. But most people just know what to do at this point.

Again: you'll learn in time, don't worry. Like I said, I think balancing for both newcomers and veterans is difficult.

They aren't stacked, they surround the point. Hanzo or Genji's ult might, might get two at best.

They aren't stacked, they surround the point. Hanzo or Genji's ult might, might get two at best.

Well then that's even easier. On Hanamura Point A you can just flank them from the left side with Genji, D'Va or Reaper. Other levels offer flanking options too, and different characters will have different uses.

There's always a successful strategy.

Can someone give me a quick overview of the allegiances of the different heroes lorewise?

http://kpfightmaster.tumblr.com/post/145339033366/overwatch-more-like-oversnot-hahahahahahaha-i :)

nOoblet16

Well the current meta I see at least 50% of games that's obscenely effective is multiple Torjborn's or multiple bastions on defense, with a tank (Usually reinhart)/healer. I'm fine leaving Bastion as is, if they make each character unique to a team.

I just started playing Overwatch, but I simply don't understand how they left that balancing element out.
You won't get the "meta" if you just started playing it.
Play some more until your MMR is higher, obviously you'll run into scrub mode games and considering you just started playing it you don't really know what to do against them.

Bastion is a non issue, so is Torbjorn. Every person who is new to game finds them OP and it has been the case since the day the game has been available to play. Yet both heroes are barely used in high level games...and never picked in pro games.

nOoblet16

How do you counter a Capture zone entirely surrounded by bastions or Torjborn's that have 360 degree coverage of each-other with randoms who can't coordinate. I can counter one, maybe two with Genji, Phara, Zarya etc. But not 6.

Depends on the map and number of bastion/turrets.
Name me and I'll tell you how.

Most capture zones allow turrets to cover 360 degrees but means they are out in the open and also can be shot at from range, if they are not then they are in some corner and don't have 360 degree coverage.

You won't get the "meta" if you just started playing it.
Play some more until your MMR is higher, obviously you'll run into scrub mode games and considering you just started playing it you don't really know what to do against them.

Bastion is a non issue, so is Torbjorn. Every person who is new to game finds them OP and it has been the case since the day the game has been available to play. Yet both heroes are barely used in high level games...and never picked in pro games.

I don't ever plan to play this game competitively, I had enough of that Vitriol during my Gold days of League of Legends (Played solo Ranked so never went above gold II or so). I picked up this game to have some competitiveness but more just have fun playing around with friends. Like most players I only plan to play casual matches.

Dreavus

In my experience most teams police themselves with no dupes, aside from the occasional double Widowmaker in non group games. It doesn't feel like much of an issue in casual play. People like being unique on a team and will shy away from doubling up. I frequently see someone pick, see that someone else is already that character, then promptly swap.

When I get cheesed we usually lose because they were the better team anyways. Or we punch through and it's awesome.

PC perspective though. As always with the Torb and Bastion discussions, perhaps it's more difficult to counter on console.

Hyun Sai

The stacking Torbj will likely be adressed by Blizzard on console, it's obvious there is a problem there, as it's much much easier to set up than to counter in Pubs. After all they adressed the stacking Winstons in the Beta.

In the meantime, players frustrated by this can just avoid control maps attack when they see it (Hanamura, Anubis, Vosltaya), Torb stacking is much less a problem elsewhere. When leaving at the character select screen, it doesn't add a leaver penalty.

The thing about stacking is there are always the ones who just went along with it but aren't particularly good with that character. Once you find them, it gets a bit easier to crack the wall

Win every match tonight (and win nearly every one this morning), seems that blizzard said, too much luck, and started putting me on games that were already started, the first one was in Numbani but at least it had some minutes on the clock to enter with Dva and win the game in the end, but the last match they put me on Hollywood offense, 60 seconds to end, and the crappy team hadn't even touch the first checkpoint yet, of course, mcree, 2 hanzos and a bastion.

Got my most useless character Roadhog (I dont know how to play with him), got to the checkpoint even and captured till the first point until I was killed, they still were all in the starting theater doors without moving, called them worst team ever on the mic, and cut my loses (let the match finish, got my exp, and shut down the game).
Its like Blizzard wanting to fuck my win ratio of the night. Fuck them.
But seriously, they need to stop putting players on already begun matches, much less matches with 60 seconds left on the clock and still on the first checkpoint. Make a limit at least, like 4 minutes.

Ertai

It's not a non-issue, it's a real issue. In pro they're countered easily because teams work together, in quick play it ruins the game for those teams that aren't coordinated. Both teams can play without coordination but the torbjorn stacking ones will win because the turrets do all the work for them. Especially when combined with for example Symmetra.

Just because it's not an issue in pro doesnt mean it doesnt need to be fixed. Not all 10 million players play pro and it's up to Blizzard to find a solution to the problem

Can someone give me a quick overview of the allegiances of the different heroes lorewise?

Widowmaker and Reaper are Talon. 76, Torbjorn, Genji, Mercy, Tracer, Winston, McCree, Reinhardt, and Mei are Overwatch. Pharah was going to join Overwatch but it disbanded. Everyone else is part of their own gangs or factions or whatever.

nOoblet16

It's not a non-issue, it's a real issue. In pro they're countered easily because teams work together, in quick play it ruins the game for those teams that aren't coordinated. Both teams can play without coordination but the torbjorn stacking ones will win because the turrets do all the work for them. Especially when combined with for example Symmetra.

Just because it's not an issue in pro doesnt mean it doesnt need to be fixed. Not all 10 million players play pro and it's up to Blizzard to find a solution to the problem

Well I'm not in the pro scene and it's a non issue in the game I play.
High level =/= pro or vice versa.

The solution is already there, people just need to get better at implementing them, which is why you don't see them in high level games since with experience people know how to tackle a situation.
Blizzard isn't going to do anything about players not being able to play or not knowing what to do, that's like changing Hanzo's and McCree's ult because new players keep getting killed by it.

El Sloth

Banned

I have 11 hours of play, I think that's enough to see if something is kind if idiotic. I personally don't even like not being locked into characters though... so maybe this game just isn't for me.
depends on the map and where, really. But for one, you can simply take out the turrets and Torbs from outside of the turrets' range with Widowmaker. I assume Hanzo works just as, but I haven't really played that character. Characters with lots of splash damage, like Pharah and Junkrat are pretty great at making Torb's life miserable, especially if they keep sniping his turrets before he gets a chance to level it up. Depending on where the turret is, Pharah might also be able to destroy it from just outside it's range from the air. Any character can safely focus down Torb's turret from behind a Reinhardt's shield.

Against multiple Torb's it's nice to have Zarya with Rein since she can not only do some good damage to the turrets with alt fire, but she can protect Rein with her bubble after his shield inevitably breaks and he has to find cover to recharge it. What's more Zarya's alt is nice for scooping alk the Torb's into one spot to be focused down by your team. Other than that, Genji, D.va, and Winsto also do well against him. Mei's ice wall can be nice to just bypass them.

nOoblet16

Even if you can't snipe from outside the range you can be in turret range and shoot from behind Reinhardt's shield. The turrets fire slow and don't do enough damage to break his shield quick like Bastion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The big thing with torb stacks is the molten cores. The normal counter to him like using shields get ripped apart by the amount of damage he does with his gun, and the entire team can be alternating it and building it up while stacking armor all over the place. It's super annoying if the torb's are actually coordinating well and placing turrets far enough apart.

depends on the map and where, really. But for one, you can simply take out the turrets and Torbs from outside of the turrets' range with Widowmaker. I assume Hanzo works just as, but I haven't really played that character. Characters with lots of splash damage, like Pharah and Junkrat are pretty great at making Torb's life miserable, especially if they keep sniping his turrets before he gets a chance to level it up. Depending on where the turret is, Pharah might also be able to destroy it from just outside it's range from the air. Any character can safely focus down Torb's turret from behind a Reinhardt's shield.

Against multiple Torb's it's nice to have Zarya with Rein since she can not only do some good damage to the turrets with alt fire, but she can protect Rein with her bubble after his shield inevitably breaks and he has to find cover to recharge it. What's more Zarya's alt is nice for scooping alk the Torb's into one spot to be focused down by your team. Other than that, Genji, D.va, and Winsto also do well against him. Mei's ice wall can be nice to just bypass them.

Sure, you kill a couple but they are inevitably back before you make any progress, therefore a successful strategy.

nOoblet16

Sure, you kill a couple but they are inevitably back before you make any progress, therefore a successful strategy.

Which is why you kill the little man first or around the same time as turret.
Plus if you push at the same time when the turret was destroyed then it doesn't matter if he sets up again because it'll be level 1 and in a bad place..while being under enemy fire. Basically you have to gain territories.

When you play solo queue and people are just playing who they want for the most part, sometimes a healer isn't chosen. What I don't get is sometimes people will repeatedly spam "We need a healer!" in the chat mid-game. This happened today and we wasn't even losing. We ended up winning actually with no issues. So whilst a healer might be nice in most situations, no we didn't need a healer so either choose one yourself or only suggest it if we're being rolled on.

nOoblet16

When you play solo queue and people are just playing who they want for the most part, sometimes a healer isn't chosen. What I don't get is sometimes people will repeatedly spam "We need a healer!" in the chat mid-game. This happened today and we wasn't even losing. We ended up winning actually with no issues. So whilst a healer might be nice in most situations, no we didn't need a healer so either choose one yourself or only suggest it if we're being rolled on.

We need a healer is an automatic response...not a written one.

I believe it's the chat wheel response when you select "I need healing".

Also, I think it'll be a long time before people get used to the idea of switching characters mid match. People just ride picks that aren't working until the game ends.

I've been having issues lately on attack on watchpoint: gibraltar. After the second checkpoint there is a chokepoint with two tiny doors on the left and right and doors up above. How the hell do you push at this point? I just played against a team with hanzo and widowmaker and they just ate our health as soon as we walked into the open. I wish the big payload door at this point would remain open, it's real tough to rally a team after getting crushed a few teams at this section.

Which is why you kill the little man first or around the same time as turret.
Plus if you push at the same time when the turret was destroyed then it doesn't matter if he sets up again because it'll be level 1 and in a bad place..while being under enemy fire. Basically you have to gain territories.

But there's 6 of them, that's my point.

TFW a hanzo and a genji are both bitching at you for playing lucio rather than mercy.

Seriously, we had a roadhog trying to solo tank into turrets on anubis. And I suggest we need a reinhardt or zarya, and they bitch at me for playing lucio and not mercy. If they really cared about mercy, they should have ran mercy. I don't get this entitled mentality that they should get to play what they want to play and everyone else should play what they want them to play.

Next round I say fuck it, and I pick hanzo. They then bitch at me for picking hanzo because the other guy wants to play hanzo.

Why did I get paired with these scrubs? Because I wanted to play with a friend and his MMR dropped me into that play field.

I ended up sticking around for another a match after my friend left, picked hanzo, they bitched again because his friend wants to play hanzo. So instead of changing his pick, they all picked hanzo and continued to bitch saying I'm the one trolling. Then even the opponent team is bitching because we're all playing hanzo, tbf I don't blame them.

tl;dr: Was playing lucio and ungrateful DPS bitched I wasn't playing mercy

What they really mean is " I need a Mercy to change my diaper so I feel safe playing badly"

El Sloth

Banned
I believe it's the chat wheel response when you select "I need healing".

Also, I think it'll be a long time before people get used to the idea of switching characters mid match. People just ride picks that aren't working until the game ends.
to be fair, it's not something that's present in most games. It's not something thst comes naturally. Heck, I still sometimes forget I can just switch to counter some annoying character or strategy.

to be fair, it's not something that's present in most games. It's not something thst comes naturally. Heck, I still sometimes forget I can just switch to counter some annoying character or strategy.
Yep. That's why I said it'll be awhile. It's a fresh concept. Not even in TF2 was class changing a big thing, though you could do it.

El Sloth

Banned
But there's 6 of them, that's my point.
you slowly push them back, as a team. Inching forward together without getting impaitient and running into the open. Reinhardt's shield is very helpful. After every death they still need to waddle back from their spawn to set up a turret again and then hammer away at it for a good few seconds before it's actually a threat again. Remember you can keep shooting level 1 turrets while a Torb is hammering away at it to deny him from leveling it up. When the waves of "MOLTEN COOOOOOOORE" starts it's better to just hang back a bit, unles you're, like, Genji who can reflect that all back on some poor unsuspecting bastard.

Really, the best way to handle a bunch of Torbs is to catch them at the beginning before they can start setting up and digging in their heels. Lucio and his speed boost is very helpful for this.

Right now it looks like this (to my knowledge):
Overwatch: Winston, Tracer, Torbjörn, Genji, Mercy, McCree, Reinhardt
Talon: Widowmaker, Reaper
Junkers: Junkrat, Roadhog
Helix Security: Pharah
Vishkar Corporation: Symmetra
Korean army: D.Va
Russian army: Zarya
Shimada Clan: Hanzo
Independent: Soldier 76, Lucio, Zenyatta, Bastion, Mei

Reaper and McCree used to be part of the Blackwatch division of Overwatch, Widowmaker is implied to have been the brainwashed wife of an Overwatch agent. Zenyatta used to belong to the Shambali order, Soldier 76 used to be on Overwatch but is now a straight vigilante. Genji was part of the Shimada Clan. Bastion is basically this leftover combat unit from the Omnic war. Mei used to be a member of Overwatch, but once she came out of cryostasis, she became an adventurer on her own.

Also, it's likely Sombra (the upcoming character) will be allied to Reaper.

If you want a breakdown into good/evil it'd be like this:
Evil: Widowmaker, Reaper, Junkrat, Roadhog, sort of Hanzo (the Shimadas are a crime syndicate) and Symmetra (Vishkar is pretty unscrupulous)
Unknown: Bastion
Good: The rest

That said, there's some arguable stuff here (e.g. while Lucio is a freedom fighter, his equipment is stolen), and it depends on the angle of interpretation. Overwatch is illegal, so technically all the people who fight in its name are vigilantes and thus criminals, i.e. evil in the eye of international law, although they do good.

catspit

I just grabbed myself a pair of Gold's (PS4 Wireless headset).. haven't used them yet and was curious what a good preset sound profile would be good for overwatch... or a good custom one for most games?

ksan

so, mad cuz bad, and you reject opinions from ppl who try to help you, i was right
i mean, just think about it, its obvious that stacking multiple stationary heroes isnt a good idea

Ok, how about this, when you knock bastion back he should come out of turret stance. When you chain him he does, so why not monkey mode with Winston or Zarya's ult?

Ok, how about this, when you knock bastion back he should come out of turret stance. When you chain him he does, so why not monkey mode with Winston or Zarya?

Considering how bad bastion is to begin with, think about all the knock backs in the game. Every explosive has a knock back. Junkrat grenades, pharah rockets, soldier 76 helix rockets.... bastion would never be able to actually turret mode, and those 3 characters are already pretty strong vs bastion.

Yeah I know they're not manually writing it, but they're selecting they need healing when there's not a healer on our team. What is spamming it going to solve? This player did it repeatedly. I mean, it's not hard to see there's no healer on our team so they obviously wanted someone to switch to healer and it wasn't even necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom