• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I love tanking, especially on defense, all my teammates run away from the objective and die and I'm just there sitting on the point.

and then i die
Have you tried killing the enemy instead?

Tips for roads to victory:
1) Kill their fucking Rein (Flashbang over shield or Reaper pewpew or Junkrat spam or reposition Rein away from team)
2) Yell at your team that you have a rectangle and they dont

80% WR

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zarya is quickly becoming my favorite character in the game. She's mentally exhausting to play though, lol.

Getting off a perfect barrier on a teammate that's about to eat a Fan, then melting the McCree, by gawd.

She's the next hero I want to try to focus on playing more. Though I like comboing her with another tank and people usually back off unless I'm in a full group.

milena87

I've started playing with my brother and I'm really liking the game so far.

I've been a support player since Dark Age of Camelot, so Mercy and Zenyatta are my favourite characters to play. However, I'd love to try Zarya the next match I'll see someone else pick Lucio or Mercy.

Anyway, last night we played a really satisfying match: we were almost defeatead attacking on King's Row and with 30 seconds to go I tell my brother, who was playing as Rein, to go inside the first point while I used my ult as Zenyatta. We manage to destroy the turret and scare off the enemy while the rest of our team arrived and we pushed the payload to victory :)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Have you tried killing the enemy instead?

Tips for roads to victory:
1) Kill their fucking Rein (Flashbang over shield or Reaper pewpew or Junkrat spam or reposition Rein away from team)
2) Yell at your team that you have a rectangle and they dont

80% WR
But then we won't have a tank. :(

And I always go for support or tank when I'm playing offense.

Been playing around with Zarya lately. If you have a halfway decent team she is an absolute beast. Learning to dance in and out of combat to maximize damage absorption and energy charge is the real key with her. God people just melt if they let you get to maximum charge. Had several matches where it felt like I was an unstoppable juggernaut.

She's the next hero I want to try to focus on playing more. Though I like comboing her with another tank and people usually back off unless I'm in a full group.

I love comboing her with a Reinhardt. Gives you a shield to duck behind when you're own is on cooldown and you can shield him after a charge to make sure he doesn't melt too quickly under any potential crossfire.

grimmiq

I'm getting to the point where I'm finding I enjoy certain characters on certain maps/modes so much more than others, unless the team is terribly lopsided. 23-0 with D.Va on Lijiang with gold objective time/kills. Hanamura Defense with Symmetra is fun too.

Didn't have a great match as reaper, and our team didn't do well on one map. I was in a party of 3 so the pubs kept spamming the quick command wheel saying we need to defend the point over and over again. at the end of the match, one of them says that I was awful (which I was, but he was pretty terrible as well from what I saw), but then started going into the match channel saying that they should report me for "trolling/afk".

felt like I was playing dota again. lol

The more I play this game, the less fun it becomes. It just feels so not fun when a single ultimate can just wreck your push/defense and in some cases, there's very little one can do to defend against it.

I initially thought the whole everybody is OP so nobody is OP strategy kinda worked, but it is just not gelling with me.

router and it's nightly maintenance. luckily i won the game before it decided to go off. man. last few days been so much losses. idk what's up.

ramyeon

The more I play this game, the less fun it becomes. It just feels so not fun when a single ultimate can just wreck your push/defense and in some cases, there's very little one can do to defend against it.
The more I play the more I realise this isn't true. Ultimates can be devastating, yes. But only with good timing.

The more I play the more I realise this isn't true. Ultimates can be devastating, yes. But only with good timing.

TBH, I'm specifically talking about Reaper's ulti. Any good reaper can literally turn the tide of the game almost single handedly.

Every other character I know how to deal with but how does one deal with a character that can just drop down from above, press Q and kill 2-3 people within 1-2 seconds.

EDIT: Literally every other Ulti is something that can be worked around, countered or just avoided all together but this fucker's ult is just so annoying.

I initially thought the whole everybody is OP so nobody is OP strategy kinda worked, but it is just not gelling with me.

Almost every ult in the game is avoidable or has a counter and is telegraphed by the voice call out.

Ferrio

Banned
TBH, I'm specifically talking about Reaper's ulti. Any good reaper can literally turn the tide of the game almost single handedly.

Every other character I know how to deal with but how does one deal with a character that can just drop down from above, press Q and kill 2-3 people within 1-2 seconds.

EDIT: Literally every other Ulti is something that can be worked around, countered or just avoided all together but this fucker's ult is just so annoying.

Zarya shields, a mei wall, a mercy ressurection, rein shield, a lucio ult, or just shoot the stupid fuck.

Zarya shields, a mei wall, a mercy ressurection, rein shield, a lucio ult, or just shoot the stupid fuck.

Great in theory, but his damage output usually means that if I'm a mercy/lucio that's anywhere near him when he ults then I'm already dead by the time I can react.

Again, it's good Reaper players that's the problem. Shitty reapers just try to do something stupid like walk up ultis or something but good ones just surprise you from behind or above which is extremely difficult to anticipate or work around in some situations.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mm, ran into a couple of teams that realises just how good double winston is.

Luckily bastion counters them for now.

Great in theory, but his damage output usually means that if I'm a mercy/lucio that's anywhere near him when he ults then I'm already dead.

Again, it's good Reaper players that's the problem. Shitty reapers just try to do something stupid like walk up ultis or something but good ones just surprise you from behind or above which is extremely difficult to anticipate or work around in some situations.

If there is a Reaper on the enemy team don't cluster tightly together. He can't wipe you if you aren't in a death circle for him to drop into.

kromeo

6 Mei's on defence is a good laugh, that ice wall maze...

If there is a Reaper on the enemy team don't cluster tightly together. He can't wipe you if you aren't in a death circle for him to drop into.

Reaper is the main player I always try to be aware of how long it's been since he last used his ult,if you haven't heard die die die in a while he's almost certainly busy trying to sneak in the side or back

hbkdx12

Is it sacrilegious to say that i enjoy playing against the AI more than other people? :/

I really like playing support. I immensely enjoy playing as mercy but my experience has been a bit tumultuous. When i get targeted by the enemy team i feel like a sitting duck more often than not. I know this is partially by design given how strong of a healer Mercy is but if i get cornered alone i'm dead and if i beam to a teammate, more often than not they're knee deep in action that makes it all the more easy for me to get killed. I don 't really care about dying in and of itself but having it constantly happen combined with the run up back to the objective makes me feel ineffective in regards to helping the team.

The problem is that there's just not a lot of hereos im particularly good with. I don't have the necessary pin point precision aiming necessary to be good for the team when coupled with the unpredictability of playing against human players. So playing as hereos like mccree, hanzo or even lucio feel daunting.

Playing the larger tankier characters like D.VA, winston and roadhog just feels like im just throwing myself into the fray only to be eviscerated in a matter of seconds.

Then you have what i'm calling your "specialty" characters that seem to require a very particular playstyle if they're to be used effectively (Mei, tracer, zarya, zenny, symmetra)

I feel half way competent as reaper but being able to remove myself from combat when taking damage can be tough. Using the phase shift ability, i usually end up with people who follow me to wherever i go and wait for me to re-materialize before trying to finish me off.

I understand most of this can probably be boiled down to not using hereos to the best of their ability (git gud!) and not playing with pubs but it just feels like im up against a wall in terms of my enjoyment when playing against other people. As i'm sure can be imagined, when playing against the AI it's not hard to be competent with each hero as the AI is more predictable and team composition and even teamwork isn't really all that necessary however this means the skill ceiling playing against the AI caps out at about 30 mins so it doesn't take long before it feels pretty boring like you're just going through the motions

I like that Blizzard lets you level up when going against the AI but the obvious slippery slope here is that as i increase levels with the AI, jumping back into quick play is likely to pair me with players who are more skilled so it all feels very damned if you do damned if you don't.

Tl;dr: I hate that i suck at this game.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I am playing Overwatch on PC with my PlayStation-controller. I tried the keyboard and mouse but it just feels not good. The only reason why I am playing on PC is because all of my friends are there.

Anyway which heroes do you recommend me to play with on PC with my controller.

The ones that I have tried and worked pretty good: Mei, Mercy, Reinhardt, Lucio

The ones I tried and didn't work with a controller: Soldier 76, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Tracer

--
Do you guys have any recommendation of Heroes that will also be quite playable with a controller? (no I am not switching to keyboard and mouse)

Is it sacrilegious to say that i enjoy playing against the AI more than other people? :/

I really like playing support. I immensely enjoy playing as mercy but my experience has been a bit tumultuous. When i get targeted by the enemy team i feel like a sitting duck more often than not. I know this is partially by design given how strong of a healer Mercy is but if i get cornered alone i'm dead and if i beam to a teammate, more often than not they're knee deep in action that makes it all the more easy for me to get killed. I don 't really care about dying in and of itself but having it constantly happen combined with the run up back to the objective makes me feel ineffective in regards to helping the team.

The problem is that there's just not a lot of hereos im particularly good with. I don't have the necessary pin point precision aiming necessary to be good for the team when coupled with the unpredictability of playing against human players. So playing as hereos like mccree, hanzo or even lucio feel daunting.

Playing the larger tankier characters like D.VA, winston and roadhog just feels like im just throwing myself into the fray only to be eviscerated in a matter of seconds.

Then you have what i'm calling your "specialty" characters that seem to require a very particular playstyle if they're to be used effectively (Mei, tracer, zarya, zenny, symmetra)

I feel half way competent as reaper but being able to remove myself from combat when taking damage can be tough. Using the phase shift ability, i usually end up with people who follow me to wherever i go and wait for me to re-materialize before trying to finish me off.

I understand most of this can probably be boiled down to not using hereos to the best of their ability (git gud!) and not playing with pubs but it just feels like im up against a wall in terms of my enjoyment when playing against other people. As i'm sure can be imagined, when playing against the AI it's not hard to be competent with each hero as the AI is more predictable and team composition and even teamwork isn't really all that necessary however this means the skill ceiling playing against the AI caps out at about 30 mins so it doesn't take long before it feels pretty boring like you're just going through the motions

I like that Blizzard lets you level up when going against the AI but the obvious slippery slope here is that as i increase levels with the AI, jumping back into quick play is likely to pair me with players who are more skilled so it all feels very damned if you do damned if you don't.

Tl;dr: I hate that i suck at this game.

Your level doesn't impact matchmaking.

Antiwhippy

So I am playing Overwatch on PC with my PlayStation-controller. I tried the keyboard and mouse but it just feels not good. The only reason why I am playing on PC is because all of my friends are there.

The ones I tried and didn't work with a controller: Soldier 76, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Tracer

--
Do you guys have any recommendation of Heroes that will also be quite playable with a controller? (no I am not switching to keyboard and mouse)

Winston, symmetra.

whyman

--

Torbjörn works pretty well. I can play him as an offensive hero as well but that takes some practice.

Biltmore

Banned

--

Winston, easily playable with a controller and fun as hell to boot.

Antiwhippy

Really? so it's all random?

And if so that means the leveling is only there to facilitate the loot boxes?

Level is the level, but MMR determines your skill through more than just your level. You can lose 100x in a row and still get to a pretty high level.

kromeo

The problem is the computer only uses 6 characters and the exact same tactic of rush in as a group in every game, it gets boring quite quickly. The cheating on hard isn't exactly very subtle either

I really like playing Zenyatta but I can't help but to wonder why Blizzard deemed it necessary to give him 50 health less than the other support characters.

ramyeon

Why does no one vote for Tracer on the results screen? I had almost 50% of my team's kills, the majority of them objective kills and no one voted for me. They all voted for the Reaper who had less kills. Seems to be a common theme whenever I do well with Tracer. Funny, since I think she's one of the heroes that takes the most concentration and energy to play.
I really like playing Zenyatta but I can't help but to wonder why Blizzard deemed it necessary to give him 50 health less than the other support characters.
To balance him. He can deal way more damage than any of the other support characters. I've seen good Zenyattas destroy teams.

Rad-

Just because Mercy is the heal beam hero doesn't mean she's easy to play. I actually find her one of the most difficult heroes to play really well because you have to always be aware of when the enemy team have their aoe ults up and you have to almost play like "a wimp" at times to stay alive. That said if your team doesn't provide enough protection she will die no matter how good she is. Mercy can be annoying to play with randoms.

You should just try playing more Lucio. Imo he's much easier hero to play than Mercy. It's hard to play badly with Lucio.

200 would make him OP considering his DPS is insane but I agree that something to make him more survivable would be nice (though I guess the Widowmaker nerf did that). I'd like a small speed boost to his movement.

Why does no one vote for Tracer on the results screen? I had almost 50% of my team's kills, the majority of them objective kills and no one voted for me. They all voted for the Reaper who had less kills. Seems to be a common theme whenever I do well with Tracer. Funny, since I think she's one of the heroes that takes the most concentration and energy to play.

I generally give votes to no matter what hero but it's easy to get high elimination count with Tracer considering you get a crap load of assists (also count as eliminations). Maybe some people don't vote because of this? I dunno, just guessing.

LowRoller

Everyone hates tracer, she's like a pest who refuses to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom