• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does no one vote for Tracer on the results screen? I had almost 50% of my team's kills, the majority of them objective kills and no one voted for me. They all voted for the Reaper who had less kills. Seems to be a common theme whenever I do well with Tracer. Funny, since I think she's one of the heroes that takes the most concentration and energy to play..

Because, if you were running a good tracer, they hardly ever noticed you. You were picking off kills on the objective, and harassing the team, but all your teammates ever saw was a sticky bomb now and again. People always assume tracer is weak, but she is offense for a reason. Her DPS can be insane. Unfortunately, most people don't know that, so they will instead vote for the reaper who saved them from a sticky situation or two, instead of the Tracer who nipped the enemy pushes in the bud.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why does no one vote for Tracer on the results screen? I had almost 50% of my team's kills, the majority of them objective kills and no one voted for me. They all voted for the Reaper who had less kills. Seems to be a common theme whenever I do well with Tracer. Funny, since I think she's one of the heroes that takes the most concentration and energy to play.
They don't know what they've got til it's gone.

2Pv8F4y.gif

We just defended the payload from the last checkpoint for 7:30 minutes (pushed it back myself to the previous checkpoint).

I botched two rounds as Mercy big time; I felt really bad. I was going for overtime and I missed the square by a pixel (jumped by mistake) when the enemy team was pinned by our Rein's ult. Then the next round, I go for the square at the last second and I used Mercy's ult to revive two or three teammates. Surprise! I did it just an inch before the square and we lost.

I really like the game, but I want to get into groups. I am still reluctant about playing because of my 130-150 ping; it is just unfair especially when I use hitscan characters. Right now in quick play, it is rare for me to not be forced to pick anything not support/tank; it is really boring the shit out of me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Been playing more widow now that she isn't auto picked for every game (though Hanzo still is for whatever reason) and i can confirm that I'm a terrible sniper. Still fun though. Got a couple of shutdown potg from pharah. Poor pharrah.

aravuus

Weird, no matter what I do with the graphics settings the framerate still hovers around 100. Can't reach 144 for the life of me.

Not really seeing that much difference between low and ultra, either.

Anyway, best way to learn new heroes? Check out guides (like these http://overwatch.metabomb.net/hero-guides) and just, well, play them, I guess? I'm really enjoying my time with S76, but there have been times where I would've been a much better asset to my team as a support or tank hero, so I suppose I should learn to play as some others too.

hbkdx12

The problem is the computer only uses 6 characters and the exact same tactic of rush in as a group in every game, it gets boring quite quickly. The cheating on hard isn't exactly very subtle either
yeah it's not perfect but it's probably not meant to be. if these things weren't issues i probably would never touch quick play at all. I did win two matches on hard difficulty with pubs once. It did feel pretty awesome.

Just because Mercy is the heal beam hero doesn't mean she's easy to play. I actually find her one of the most difficult heroes to play really well because you have to always be aware of when the enemy team have their aoe ults up and you have to almost play like "a wimp" at times to stay alive. That said if your team doesn't provide enough protection she will die no matter how good she is. Mercy can be annoying to play with randoms.

You should just try playing more Lucio. Imo he's much easier hero to play than Mercy. It's hard to play badly with Lucio.

This is a large reason why i like mercy as much as i do. I like the fact that ideally i can hang back but still positively contribute to the team.

I may need to play with the sensitivity some more but i really suck at landing hits with lucio. And as nitpicky as it sounds i really hate the fact that his ability that increases his damage has that short 2 second window where you can't shoot. I'll typically find myself in the middle of combat and think "shit, use the damage increase" and i'll do it and then i'll stop shooting while he does the animation and it drives me crazy every time.

game is so weird. I have like 5 heroes I don't have a single skin drop of any kind for...and I have 2 heroes that have had 5 skin drops or more. Weird RNG man.

LiK

It was fun playing as Mercy tonight. I was healing so much and even had some great kills. I killed a McCree, Reaper and Soldier all three in a row. Those guys must've been pissed to be outgunned by a Mercy lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It was fun playing as Mercy tonight. I was healing so much and even had some great kills. I killed a McCree, Reaper and Soldier all three in a row. Those guys must've been pissed to be outgunned by a Mercy lol

My favorite Mercy PotG I've had so far was killing reaper in a 1v1 right into a triple res.

Her gun is really not too bad, you can do similar things with Dva's pistol to just cover some area.

Nyx

Next to usual suspects like Genji or Tracer I seem to have a lot of problems playing Junkrat...

While ''on paper'' he sounds like one of the easiest heroes.
Half of the times I even waste my Ult with him and when I'm trying to sneak in some grenades from the backline it feels like all the enemies kill me superfast.

Almost embarrassed to pick him and learn, maybe I should try some AI games first lol.

LiK

My favorite Mercy PotG I've had so far was killing reaper in a 1v1 right into a triple res.

Her gun is really not too bad, you can do similar things with Dva's pistol to just cover some area.

Yea. I found that as long as you stay mobile and confuse them, you can kill them with Mercy and D.Va's pistols pretty well.

Also had a funny encounter where I was low on life as Mercy and a Soldier was chasing me and I ran away and circled around a pillar until my team saw me and rushed in to kill him. That was hilarious. I hope I saved the clip. I saved a couple cuz I had some good plays in them.

Just had 4 Mei's on my team for defense, they took turns consistently ice walling the two possible entry points the enemy team had on Hanamura temple. The timer Just ran out and the enemy team couldn't do anything. It's so stupid.

peakish

Why does no one vote for Tracer on the results screen? I had almost 50% of my team's kills, the majority of them objective kills and no one voted for me. They all voted for the Reaper who had less kills. Seems to be a common theme whenever I do well with Tracer. Funny, since I think she's one of the heroes that takes the most concentration and energy to play.
I mostly only vote for enemy tracers because that's when you might see their impact in a game. Especially playing as Mercy or some other squishy and the team does a poor job backing you up.

Just had 4 Mei's on my team for defense, they took turns consistently ice walling the two possible entry points the enemy team had on Hanamura temple. The timer Just ran out and the enemy team couldn't do anything. It's so stupid.
What about the other four entrance points? Edit: Sorry I'm stupid, first point.

LiK

Ouch, I think her ice wall should be far weaker and take less damage. It should be an obstacle for some saves but it shouldn't last as long as it does and it's also too strong.

dorisdelay

Neo Member
I play on XB1 and PC, and I've noticed that people play differently on each platform. On PC people seem more focused on pushing / securing objectives; the difference on console is that players appear to just be playing a deathmatch in any game mode, aiming for kills and picking classes that can't really push or defend. It's weird.

Antiwhippy

With a 4.5s duration and a 10s Cooldown it really shouldn't be possible.

Plus dva can fly over the wall even.

Also people know it can be damaged to break right? Just camp a few bastions at the front.

kromeo

Yea. I found that as long as you stay mobile and confuse them, you can kill them with Mercy and D.Va's pistols pretty well.

Also had a funny encounter where I was low on life as Mercy and a Soldier was chasing me and I ran away and circled around a pillar until my team saw me and rushed in to kill him. That was hilarious. I hope I saved the clip. I saved a couple cuz I had some good plays in them.

I quit McCree out of shame for a while once after losing a 1 on 1 with a Mercy

Solution: D.va can fly over it. Pharah can fly over it. Winston can leap over it.

Also, there is no objective point on Hanamura with only 2 points of entry. Point A has 4 entry points. Point B has 5. They just needed to change classes. It's important to always be prepared to change classes in this game.

With a 4.5s duration and a 10s Cooldown it really shouldn't be possible.

Plus dva can fly over the wall even.

Also people know it can be damaged to break right? Just camp a few bastions at the front.

Anyone who did we had two roadhogs, me and another to grab and kill. It just happened again but with 2 mei's instead just on the main entrance, so only certain characters could come over the opening and died very quickly to 2 bastions.

Antiwhippy

Anyone who did we had two roadhogs, me and another to grab and kill. It just happened again but with 2 mei's instead just on the main entrance, so only certain characters could come over the opening and died very quickly to 2 bastions.

Should have gotten a few genjis too to pick off those bastions.

Probably a crapshoot in a pub scenario but that doesn't sound particularly hard to beat.

SumGamer

Dealing with multiple Torbjorn in a random team Quick match can be quiet annoying. How long would it take people to learn not to stream in one by one.

I need some advise in attacking Hanamura. I usually fall into Support or Tank role as team mate wouldn't really hesitate to pick both Widowmaker and Hanzo at the same time. Attacking Point A feel quiet difficult when dealing with multiple turrets in the open. The gate and the small room usually covered by Mei or high damage output hero.

How should I deal with this situation?
Do I switch from tank (Reinhardt) to attacking hero to slip past the defense and deal with them? Sniping turret would also be an option here if there weren't already WDM/Hanzo.
However, this would leave the team without tanking hero to direct defense attention.

I tried switching to D.Va then fly in and cause some disruption but usually the defense has fire power to deal with the mech super fast. This game can feel quite helpless sometime.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dealing with multiple Torbjorn in a random team Quick match can be quiet annoying. How long would it take people to learn not to stream in one by one.

I need some advise in attacking Hanamura. I usually fall into Support or Tank role as team mate wouldn't really hesitate to pick both Widowmaker and Hanzo at the same time. Attacking Point A feel quiet difficult when dealing with multiple turrets in the open. The gate and the small room usually covered by Mei or high damage output hero.

How should I deal with this situation?
Do I switch from tank (Reinhardt) to attacking hero to slip past the defense and deal with them? Sniping turret would also be an option here if there weren't already WDM/Hanzo.
However, this would leave the team without tanking hero to direct defense attention.

I tried switching to D.Va then fly in and cause some disruption but usually the defense has fire power to deal with the mech super fast. This game can feel quite helpless sometime.

Yeah, I'd swap to tracer or something in that scenario, it's easy for her to zip through the main door and distract/clear the back.

Rein is always solid but if the team isn't fully supporting him then his shield isn't actually being used too well. I feel your pain with all the sniper heroes though, having multiples is just UGH. It's worth nothing that even if you disrupt and clear your team still needs to take advantage of that and push up, so sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Braag

Because they're newbs who think just because they don't see you, you haven't been doing your job.
Yesterday I was playing as Genji in King's Row, I was on the enemy Bastion and Widow all the time, so we were able to capture the point and push the payload to victory fairly easily, only near the end we slowed down a little because the enemy spawn point is right next to the payload, but we still won. I had gold in kills and longest kill streak on result screen. What do I get for it? Some asshole says "get carried Genji picker" in the team chat.

Should have gotten a few genjis too to pick off those bastions.

Probably a crapshoot in a pub scenario but that doesn't sound particularly hard to beat.

They tried, probably just weren't very good, I mean remember we also had me (a Roadhog), really easy to just wait that out and then they're really easy picking in addition to a mercy. It's still just to me a silly thing that's allowed to happen. I'd like them to add a unique hero mode.

Is it sacrilegious to say that i enjoy playing against the AI more than other people? :/

Not really but PvE modes need a lot work. I can see why they wanted to launch with what everyone could understand was focussed as a competitive team game since things like LoL and CSGO are so big. The AI/scripting on the bot matches doesn't seem interesting enough though and honestly they should create new enemies just for this mode instead of having a handful of characters with AI control. The game is popular enough to justify a lot of funding for things like this now. There were plenty of shooters in the past where people bought them and only ever played against bots and still thought that they got their money's worth from them. Bots and dedicated community servers are two core things from the genre that are lacking.

peakish

Hanamura is just really bad map design. The second point is good except for the 2CP problem of the defense spawning so damn close to it, but the first point has only four entrances, all in a small area and visible from the point. Two of these points are only available to flyers, a third also to climbers and Mei. It's the most boring type of choke point.

Volskaya has a cool flanking route which can help with splitting up the defense. Anubis has two side doors, each close to the main entrance and in separate directions. The door also has more vertical space. They're not great but definitely better than Hanamura.

Not to say that any of these are super difficult to breach since the defense has a long respawn route, they're just a pain. Against Mei ice walls you could get a couple of Bastions to shoot it down like suggested above. But coordinating something in limited time with randoms is easier said than done.

patchday

during beta there was a lot of tracer hate cause she was so overpicked

peakish

I wish there was an easier way to just boot up a map to jump around on it than the tedious custom game process.

Well, 19 resurrects in one game is a number I'm not likely to see again soon...
Nice. Or was it a terrible team? The ups and downs of playing Mercy ...

Fugu

I wish there was an easier way to just boot up a map to jump around on it than the tedious custom game process.

Nice. Or was it a terrible team? The ups and downs of playing Mercy ...
Well, we won. It was just a very stressful and close game so there were ample opportunities to revive.

Ult management is surely one of the hardest things about playing Mercy. She gets it so often that people often waste it on single deaths but then they don't have it when they need it. Conversely, countless opportunities are wasted in the name of saving an ult with a very short charge time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyQ__Lxg2Ww

This is what I mean. I feel like I performed pretty damn well in this game (Ignore me getting stuck on the signpost several times towards the start), contributing a lot to making it a short as it was. And no votes. Only vote at the end is my own haha.

It's tough being Tracer.

I don't know, I probably wouldn't have voted for you either. Not because you're a Tracer, but simply because I appreciate a good tank or healer so much. I don't usually vote for any offense characters (and this comes from a person who often plays offense myself). That Reinhardt and Mercy did great jobs judging by that video. I always appreciate when someone goes Mercy on a level like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom