• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

I don't know, I probably wouldn't have voted for you either. Not because you're a Tracer, but simply because I appreciate a good tank or healer so much. I don't usually vote for any offense characters (and this comes from a person who often plays offense myself). That Reinhardt and Mercy did great jobs judging by that video. I always appreciate when someone goes Mercy on a level like this.
Normally I vote healer too. But if someone gets 4+ golds I find that pretty significant and usually vote that. Especially if the match ended so quickly.

peakish

Well, we won. It was just a very stressful and close game so there were ample opportunities to revive.

Ult management is surely one of the hardest things about playing Mercy. She gets it so often that people often waste it on single deaths but then they don't have it when they need it. Conversely, countless opportunities are wasted in the name of saving an ult with a very short charge time.
Yeah, it seems like the most difficult thing to get good at with her. I know skilled players keep track of enemy ults and use her to counter them (of course in a sense everyone should think of this). If Reaper hasn't ulted in a while they stay out of LOS and go in for a large res directly afterwards. At the same time you don't want to wait for the perfect opportunity at the cost of some smaller res's in between.

I know this is something I need to get much better at.

Kamion

Man, I really wanna be good with Dva because the hit and run "rush people with the boosters" thing appeals to me, but I'm awful at it, haha...
Actually I'm awful with all the tank characters, I really ought to learn one.

EDIT: speaking of underappreciated heroes: Symmetra. Easily. She can be such a beast but no one really notices.

ramyeon

Got appreciation this time :) And my most eliminations again. 42 or something last night, 44 tonight. Feels good man.
dxyhFsV.jpg

UYVM076.jpg

Ztt9CQI.png

Man, I really wanna be good with Dva because the hit and run "rush people with the boosters" thing appeals to me, but I'm awful at it, haha...
Actually I'm awful with all the tank characters, I really ought to learn one.

EDIT: speaking of underappreciated heroes: Symmetra. Easily. She can be such a beast but no one really notices.
once her draining beam kicks into overdrive it melts everyone who tries to rush you, she works the best at choke points and ambush spots

aravuus

Lol, finally decided to try and start learning other heroes and of course I had to get matched with some truly toxic individuals for the first time since I bought the game. They made it abundantly clear to me that I suck, which shouldn't really come as a surprise as this was like my fifteenth match or something lmao. First time ever playing support and tank, too.

Would love to know how good the game thinks I am right now, since the lowest level player in that match (aside from myself - I'm lvl 7 I think) was 25. Rest were anywhere from 30 to 70. OW matchmaking seems to be overestimating me a bit at the moment lol.

It's funny how you can tell the outcome of the match about 20s into selection. I feel like some Pharah so I pick Pharah, other guy goes Lucio, cool. We get Reaper, no big deal then we get another Pharah and I'm like, "Oh shit". Next dude picks Soldier. Lucio thinks fuck this shit and switches to D.Va. Last person to join is D.Va.

I can't play a full game as Pharah anymore.

ramyeon

havent even played tracer since beta I dont think lol. need to give her a shot
Never played the Beta and personally didn't like her when I first tried her out, but once I got the feel for it no other hero really compares in so much as the adrenaline rush I get playing her.

El Sloth

Banned
We just defended the payload from the last checkpoint for 7:30 minutes (pushed it back myself to the previous checkpoint).

I botched two rounds as Mercy big time; I felt really bad. I was going for overtime and I missed the square by a pixel (jumped by mistake) when the enemy team was pinned by our Rein's ult. Then the next round, I go for the square at the last second and I used Mercy's ult to revive two or three teammates. Surprise! I did it just an inch before the square and we lost.

I really like the game, but I want to get into groups. I am still reluctant about playing because of my 130-150 ping; it is just unfair especially when I use hitscan characters. Right now in quick play, it is rare for me to not be forced to pick anything not support/tank; it is really boring the shit out of me.
don't be afraid to pick whatever the hell you want occasionally, especially if you see your team going double sniper or something. You'll go crazy if you just constantly try to fill the holes of your randomly made pick-up team. When I see that my team has no real interest in playing together and just want to do their own thing I do the same. Those are the moments when I try out some offense character I havent had the chance to play much, or bust out Zenyatta whom I just find tons of fun to play. I love his buff/debuff playstyle. And the hit sound for his zen balls of death is really satisfying.

You guys shouldn't run yourselves ragged in quickplay and remember it's okay to just say fuck it and play whatever you want every now and then. Fuck it, be the third Widowmaker or Hanzo! Save the anger and exasperation for the incoming competitive queue where I'm sure people will continue doing the exact same things lol.

patchday

Never played the Beta and personally didn't like her when I first tried her out, but once I got the feel for it no other hero really compares in so much as the adrenaline rush I get playing her.

just tried her earlier and did bad. But did get a good ult off when our Mei froze the enemy. High skill cap champ I think

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Lol, finally decided to try and start learning other heroes and of course I had to get matched with some truly toxic individuals for the first time since I bought the game. They made it abundantly clear to me that I suck, which shouldn't really come as a surprise as this was like my fifteenth match or something lmao. First time ever playing support and tank, too.

Would love to know how good the game thinks I am right now, since the lowest level player in that match (aside from myself - I'm lvl 7 I think) was 25. Rest were anywhere from 30 to 70. OW matchmaking seems to be overestimating me a bit at the moment lol.

Levels mean nothing really they got matched with you because they suck the level just means they've played longer than you really.

R0ckman

This is like a whole different game in group play, had a BLAST win or lose with my full group and made a couple of new friends from people we fought. Fought a team that drove my group crazy running double reapers!

This game is straight up trash in solo play, which is a shame.

ramyeon

This is like a whole different game in group play, had a BLAST win or lose with my full group and made a couple of new friends from people we fought. Fought a team that drove my group crazy running double reapers!

There are times when solo play has frustrated me but I also have a lot of fun in it too. Just depends on a bunch of factors.

Wouldn't say it's trash.

It's funny how you can tell the outcome of the match about 20s into selection. I feel like some Pharah so I pick Pharah, other guy goes Lucio, cool. We get Reaper, no big deal then we get another Pharah and I'm like, "Oh shit". Next dude picks Soldier. Lucio thinks fuck this shit and switches to D.Va. Last person to join is D.Va.

I can't play a full game as Pharah anymore.

Two Pharahs are pretty cash, man. I was in a game yesterday where two of us went Pharah and they couldn't get the payload around the first corner on Route 66 because we were chain bouncing everyone off the edge or ruining them with way too many rockets.

Fugu

Yeah, it seems like the most difficult thing to get good at with her. I know skilled players keep track of enemy ults and use her to counter them (of course in a sense everyone should think of this). If Reaper hasn't ulted in a while they stay out of LOS and go in for a large res directly afterwards. At the same time you don't want to wait for the perfect opportunity at the cost of some smaller res's in between.

I know this is something I need to get much better at.
I time my res with big ults but I also tend to take any res of two players or more unless I think we're about to wipe.

patchday

lol (I agree its bad for people that play bad solo)

aravuus

Levels mean nothing really they got matched with you because they suck the level just means they've played longer than you really.

I know there's a hidden MMR that does all the matching, not the level, I just figured that people who've played the game for 20, 30 hours would almost by default be so much better than me that I'd never get matched with them.

Then again, as soon as I switched back to S76 during the last third of the match, I started wrecking shit again so I guess they really weren't very good players.

Really? I see more "gg" than anything. "EZ" seems rare for me. Anecdotal I guess.

I saw an ez yesterday from one of our team after a hard time winning in Numbani defense (they were steamrolling us until the last checkpoint when I went hide mode and chose a tobojorn, something im not proud of it and only do if Im going to lose at the end of Numbani, because Ive seen other teams do the same agaisnt me and works really well).
I read it, and because im not very familiar with competitive game lingo I said, I hope that doesnt mean easy, because that is just flat out wrong.

R0ckman

lol (I agree its bad for people that play bad solo)

I actually try to help my solo play teams in the chat, but typically only one or two people listen. I very rarely see people use chat either. On the rare ocassion its either trash talk or people saying "GET ON THE ****ING OBJECTIVE!"

In group play, everyone is making jokes and having a blast. It really is a different game.

patchday

After 75 hours of solo play I can only say 'lolwut"?
Yes, sometimes you are in team with bad players who don't care about objectives, but only sometimes.

some people just like to get carried I guess. although my premade I formed with some friends lost for first time yesterday. granted usually we have 5 people rather than just the 3

Torbjörn is pretty much a guaranteed POTG for me (on defense levels, at least) :b

Just use Molten Core when the enemies are at your point, your turret is in a good spot and get in there with your wide-spread gun.

R0ckman

After 75 hours of solo play I can only say 'lolwut"?
Yes, sometimes you are in team with bad players who don't care about objectives, but only sometimes.

I'm hardly getting any decent matches, I also consider matches where the enemy team being terrible as bad too.

I think I'm at 100 something hours now? I think I should take break though.

kromeo

I see Torb potg probably third most after Hanzo and Bastion, they're just very rarely the player actually doing anything impressive

kromeo

I think the hardest are Mercy and Zarya because of how they play. But doable.

I'd say Mei and Lucio are probably the two I see least often. In fact for all the complaining about her Mei is probably the character I see used least overall
after Winston

Mupod

New PB with Reaper. Really, really close game. I love when games get real like this :)

I finally had one of those long stat-padding KOTH matches. I usually play Lucio on KOTH but this time I was Reaper so I got to do some nutty stuff. I think I ended with 59 eliminations (was only silver, even) and 45 objective kills.

Funny thing is most of that match was just round 1. I was at 45 eliminations before round 2.

benzopil

some people just like to get carried I guess. although my premade I formed with some friends lost for first time yesterday. granted usually we have 5 people rather than just the 3
Some people like to get carried, some people like to carry. If someone want everyone to be excellent in the game, then of course playing solo is bad. I always try to do my best and even if we lose, c'est la vie.

El Sloth

Banned
My favorite Torbjorn POTG was me sitting on top of a health pack point waiting for it to respawn while my turret got 4 eliminations. The whole POTG is just me staring at the doorway. Good times.

mikemandey

Is there any way to avoid high latency servers? Or is it completely random? I usually get around 20-30 ms ping but there were some cases when I got connected to a server on the other side of the world. It was literally unplayable (around 200-300 ms ping).

I'm in South East Asia btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom