• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

random teams are starting to bug me more and more. Hoping competitive catches the interest of my friends because it's more fun with them, but they don't play every night.

I keep thinking I should catch up on UC4, guilty gear etc...then I boot up Overwatch again.

So this happened to me today.

We somehow, through all odds managed to win.

I know I got the ultimate quote wrong :(

he actually does say 'gaze into the iris' but not during his ult.

also I just noticed I'm quoting a post from a few pages back but hey whatever I wanted an excuse to post this.

https://youtu.be/_7UWGL82Mn4

spiritfox

Is there any way to avoid high latency servers? Or is it completely random? I usually get around 20-30 ms ping but there were some cases when I got connected to a server on the other side of the world. It was literally unplayable (around 200-300 ms ping).

I'm in South East Asia btw.

The SEA servers are part of the Americas region so you'll sometimes get unlucky and get matched with an Aussie or US server. If you want more reliable ping Asia might be a better region, but it's mostly Koreans and Chinese.

Forkball

That's like, core man. It's what makes her so much fun.

I honestly had no idea her dash could go up in the air like that. I thought it was like Reinhardt's but with more steering. I've actually seen D.Vas do it in games, but I thought it was some sort of propulsion thing, like how you can clear gaps with Reinhardt's dash. I didn't think you could just suddenly fly up in the air from anywhere. It's ironic since DVa is one of my most successful characters. THE FLOODGATES HAVE BEEN OPENED

charsace

I don't know why I am getting grouped with people of much higher levels than I am today. It is the same shit; they don't counter-pick, can't kill bastion and won't heal or go tank. I had five shutdowns in a row and those gold medals and epic ratings I am getting don't mean shit.

I honestly don't see myself getting too much into this. There is no point in playing competitively if I don't have friends, and my connection sucks because of the international servers. I quit fighting games for the same reason (kinda time consuming with the high skill ceiling too).
I'm glad I'm not the only who sees this. I am lvl 41 and I get matched with 60+ and even people who are above lvl 100 and a lot of these people don't understand how to play or how to work as part of a team. Shit is baffling to me. I've seen lvl 120 something Pharah's who don't go after turrets or use the flying ability at all. They just camp the starting choke point and spam rockets while grounded, hoping to get a kill. I have picked Reinhardt, thrown up the shield, and have had ppl tell me to move out of the way. And these were high lvl players.

benzopil

It's actually interesting how competitive mode will look like on consoles. On PC you have text chat and can communicate by using it, while on consoles you only have voice chat and nobody uses it now. What do you think, will people start to talk in competitive?

ramyeon

It's actually interesting how competitive mode will look like on consoles. On PC you have text chat and can communicate by using it, while on consoles you only have voice chat and nobody uses it now. What do you think, will people start to talk in competitive?
I sure hope so.

patchday

if they want to win, yes

Nyx

Capturing point A on Hanamura as Tracer, from zero to cap and no enemy bothering to go have a look.

A Torbjorn had a lvl 1 turret nearby but I could hide from it behind the bell.

Sometimes I really wonder how many people are playing TDM on purpose or just don't seem to understand the concept of these gamemodes...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Capturing point A on Hanamura as Tracer, from zero to cap and no enemy bothering to go have a look.

Sometimes I really wonder how many people are playing TDM on purpose or just don't seem to understand the concept of these gamemodes...

Some teams just get WAAAAY too aggressive and push up ridiculously far right up in people's spawn doors. I always hate seeing that on my own team, there's really no reason to go beyond the big door on Hanamura, it'll just get someone picked off and during a push you're already down a person.

I do love doing this on Volskaya A as Genji or something, go around the left side right onto the point and pull everyone back. I still barely see anyone actually cover that part.

kromeo

I think there's just too many people stuck in the mindset that win or lose individual kills is all that matters

ramyeon

Some teams just get WAAAAY too aggressive and push up ridiculously far right up in people's spawn doors. I always hate seeing that on my own team, there's really no reason to go beyond the big door on Hanamura, it'll just get someone picked off and during a push you're already down a person.

I do love doing this on Volskaya A as Genji or something, go around the left side right onto the point and pull everyone back. I still barely see anyone actually cover that part.
Yeah I hate the mentality that you have to meet the team at their spawn point. Heroes like Tracer and Reaper are fine for doing that as they're best off flanking or attacking the enemy from behind but it's unnecessary for the whole team to do so.

Mupod

I feel like I'm the only one who plays Reaper as Objective Man and Designated Mercy Protector. He's not bad as a flanker type but he's no Tracer, also gets owned by turrets. I always do super well as him playing him by sticking with the team. Nothing is worse than Tracers and Winstons coming after you as a healer and Reaper can deal with those easily.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could choke people through the monitor, game is about 5 seconds from starting and our Mercy swaps to an attack Widow leaving us with no healer (I was the tank before someone tells me to switch to healer).

Hyun Sai

It's funny how people just looked at the hard numbers of the McCree nerf tuesday and just presumed it wouldn't be enough because in perfect situations with 100% aim and not bullet wasted he was still killing Tanks in one combo.

Now in practice it's not that easy anymore ^^

So this game looks pretty cool...
I don't know anyone interested in it though, how is playing with randoms?

It's not awful if someone takes the lead. Orrrr you can play with my playgroup. We have 10 or 12 people we cycle through whenever we have time. Add me I'm
usagi#11589

Edit: Assuming NA and PC. I always forget there are other ways to play.

Hyun Sai

If you are a calm and collected person you will do just fine. I suggest at least to learn to play one hero in each role though (Attack, Defense, Tank, Support) and be very active in the decision making area.

patchday

it can be tough at beginning since newbies dont really know the team comps and matchups. So definitely higher difficulty than your avg shooter but highly rewarding once you've dedicated some hrs.

If you do get it- I recommend starting up in Weekly brawl. This week's is Soldier 76 giving you good chance to master him

Normally I vote healer too. But if someone gets 4+ golds I find that pretty significant and usually vote that. Especially if the match ended so quickly.
Yeah, four or five golds, or MVP, will get my vote almost every time. You don't seem MVP very often, but it really does mean a consistently dominating performance.

Wow they did a job on Mccree. His damage was really all he had.
Have you tried clicking the left mouse button?

Yeah, four or five golds, or MVP, will get my vote almost every time. You don't seem MVP very often, but it really does mean a consistently dominating performance.

Have you tried clicking the left mouse button?

i don't get your digs, you realize you can switch heroes any time you hit h right?

this isn't an mmo.

The people you so desperately hate are probably playing pharrah or junkrat right now.

Kysen

What is going on with the matchmaking system, 4 games in a row I've been put into a losing game. Waiting upwards of 30 seconds or more for a match.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just got something that I thought was impossible. Getting a POTG with Mercy with something else than ressing 3-4 people at once.

I simply got it by killing a Pharah while she was doing her ult. Was kinda underwhelming lol.

Wow they did a job on Mccree. His damage was really all he had.

Main fire is incredibly strong and he got a reload buff. Blizzard didn't want FtH to be his main move like it was. It's a little harder to take out beefier characters, but it didn't really make sense for him to delete those characters entirely to begin with.

Tawpgun

Obviously they wanna make microtransactions money, but they really have to reduce duplicate weighting or make the payout for them a lot higher

xPixels

Neo Member
Q: I know a lot of people have been asking for a d.va buff and limiting the number of duplicate heroes on a team, so what kind of gameplay/character changes are y'all hoping for in the next couple updates?

No_Style

People care about POTG way too much considering how kill influenced it is. I've seen 3 worthy POTG that decided a match in the 100 matches I've played.

Also, is it just me or east coast PS4 GAF fallen off? I used to see my friends list filled with Overwatch and now it's 2 tops?

Auctopus

In order to achieve that ~50% win rate, this game's matchmaking is so basic.

Oh you won last match, you can play with all the level 7s on your team this round then.

Zemm

I'm torn on if they should limit heroes in competitive mode. On the one hand someone shit might pick widowmaker or something, but then if you have two widowmakers you're going to lose anyway. Whereas playing against two Winston's is really boring. I'm leaning more to limit the heroes to 1 per team in competitive mode like the tournaments are starting to do, then have Blizzard balance the classes around that, so things like Winston's shield can be buffed.Things like that where they no longer have to balance around there being 2+ of a character should help.

Main fire is incredibly strong and he got a reload buff. Blizzard didn't want FtH to be his main move like it was. It's a little harder to take out beefier characters, but it didn't really make sense for him to delete those characters entirely to begin with.

It's not even mcree vs tank characters, it hurt him a lot against other characters. I'll probably opt to play any of the other offensive heroes over him, reaper is a much better pick in every way now imo. Mccree is a weird character in that his whole thing was being a glass cannon, and now the gap between him and the other offensive heroes is non existent. I mean you can make him work, but it'll be a novelty like DVA is right now. I don't see the issue with mcree being a tank melter because it's not like he offered anything more than just damage, and there aren't a ton of tank melters in the game already.

What is going on with the matchmaking system, 4 games in a row I've been put into a losing game. Waiting upwards of 30 seconds or more for a match.

It's probably just an unlucky streak for me, but the last game for me had all sub 30's on my team (even a level 7) versus all +30's and a 99.

I know it's purely a time investment for rank but I'd think whatever hidden mmr they'd use would be more calibrated? It's probably something dumb like team queue's are given an artificial mmr boost even if they're all completely new.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played D.Va since the first day and figured I'd give her a go, I'm doing a day of my least played heroes today so her and Hanzo will see some play from me.

yIRp0EJ.jpg

And obviously our Lucio with 58% on fire gets MvP because he clearly did more than me. Oh and we lost, naturally.

aeolist

Banned
Q: I know a lot of people have been asking for a d.va buff and limiting the number of duplicate heroes on a team, so what kind of gameplay/character changes are y'all hoping for in the next couple updates?

i think her survivability is fine, she just needs better/more consistent damage. if they reduced her weapon spread just a bit and increased her movement speed while firing i think she'd be in a good place.

Mccree is a weird character in that his whole thing was being a glass cannon

How is he a glass cannon compared to any of the other 200 HP or less characters? His flashbang is basically an out against anyone who gets near him.

Zenyatta is the only character in the game who deserves the glass cannon title imo.

MUnited83

For you.
In order to achieve that ~50% win rate, this game's matchmaking is so basic.

Oh you won last match, you can play with all the level 7s on your team this round then.

tell me about it. Join a match, it's a match in progress, and it just finished on a defeat. 3 of the team players are under level 10.

leave game leave game leave game

R0ckman

It's not even mcree vs tank characters, it hurt him a lot against other characters. I'll probably opt to play any of the other offensive heroes over him, reaper is a much better pick in every way now imo. Mccree is a weird character in that his whole thing was being a glass cannon, and now the gap between him and the other offensive heroes is non existent. I mean you can make him work, but it'll be a novelty like DVA is right now. I don't see the issue with mcree being a tank melter because it's not like he offered anything more than just damage, and there aren't a ton of tank melters in the game already.

It's probably just an unlucky streak for me, but the last game for me had all sub 30's on my team (even a level 7) versus all +30's and a 99.

I know it's purely a time investment for rank but I'd think whatever hidden mmr they'd use would be more calibrated? It's probably something dumb like team queue's are given an artificial mmr boost even if they're all completely new.

Though I have no issues with McCree now and so okay with him with the same results most of the time, I agree. Its a lot more effective to grab a reaper and just hold the fire button while closing in on an enemy. Fought a team that went double reaper, I guess because of the McCree nerf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom