• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

is it me, or have the POTG's gotten worse? Before it might've been a bit much 'BASTION AND OR TURRET KILLS LOTS', but now it's a bit more diverse, with a bit more underwhelming plays.

Ah, it will be tweaked with every patch, I suppose.
Yeah, I got a POTG last night and it was underwhelming and I was embarrassed.

Depending on how good they are.
Backline harasser or bastion counter if they're just alright, fucking ninja god that makes me want to alt F4 if they're good.

x100000 lol... People crying about McCree's OP fan the hammer never rolled with or went against truly skilled Genji players. They can fucking team wipe on their own when given a few heals.

PuPPeTeeR

Neo Member
They need a character with an invisible camo super. Go semi invisible predator style for 10 seconds. But firing your weapon obviously makes it easier to spot you since people can trace the bullet tracers.

It would also be cool to have a healer that worked via supply drops. Dropping health packs and armor, more effective than other healers but the supply drops take more time.

I love that health packs idea: kind of like trollbjörn, but way more useful!

DrArchon

I'm having trouble sticking people with Tracer's ult. I feel like I'm right up in their face, but when I toss it out it doesn't stick 'cause they're moving all around and it just lands on the floor. I'm clearly missing out on kills because of this (and I'll never get the cute spray if I don't improve) so can anyone give me tips on sticking dudes better?

ElyrionX

Played Widowmaker on Hollywood attack. Wasn't working out too well. Last 30 seconds and we could barely get a foothold on A. Switched to Tracer and secured A in overtime. Proceeded to steamroll them and got B in like 2 minutes or so. My Tracer ended up with 28 eliminations (gold medal) and 54% kill participation LOL.

vypek

I'm having trouble sticking people with Tracer's ult. I feel like I'm right up in their face, but when I toss it out it doesn't stick 'cause they're moving all around and it just lands on the floor. I'm clearly missing out on kills because of this (and I'll never get the cute spray if I don't improve) so can anyone give me tips on sticking dudes better?

Are you literally in their face or just flanking them? Zip around and get them from behind without them noticing you. Try sticking on slower characters too

LiK

Played Widowmaker on Hollywood attack. Wasn't working out too well. Last 30 seconds and we could barely get a foothold on A. Switched to Tracer and secured A in overtime. Proceeded to steamroll them and got B in like 2 minutes or so. My Tracer ended up with 28 eliminations (gold medal) and 54% kill participation LOL.

Are you on PS4?

I've stopped attempting to stick anybody that isn't large and/or stationary in my pursuit of that trophy. Too much mobility and latency/tick rate stuff in terms of sticking a smaller person. My best luck has been sneaking up on Reinhardts/Bastions and just plopping one on them. And don't toss it unless you're right next to them. Tracer does not have a very good quarterback arm, the thing has no range at all.

BigDug13

Console right? Widow is tougher to use and a good Tracer is nearly unkillable because you can't get your sights on her as easily.

DrArchon

Are you literally in their face or just flanking them? Zip around and get them from behind without them noticing you. Try sticking on slower characters too

I've stopped attempting to stick anybody that isn't large and/or stationary in my pursuit of that trophy. Too much mobility and latency/tick rate stuff in terms of sticking a smaller person. My best luck has been sneaking up on Reinhardts/Bastions and just plopping one on them. And don't toss it unless you're right next to them. Tracer does not have a very good quarterback arm, the thing has no range at all.

Yeah, I think I've been trying to hit support characters and snipers with it too much. I should just use it on tanks and Torbjorns. That's a much better strategy.

Does it automatically kill when it's stuck on someone, or does it just do a ton of damage? I feel like I always die when I get stuck, but does it guarantee a kill on, say, an armor boosted Roadhog?

vypek

Yeah, I think I've been trying to hit support characters and snipers with it too much. I should just use it on tanks and Torbjorns. That's a much better strategy.

Does it automatically kill when it's stuck on someone, or does it just do a ton of damage? I feel like I always die when I get stuck, but does it guarantee a kill on, say, an armor boosted Roadhog?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure about the damage it does. I stuck Bastions, shot them a little and rewound or blinked away.

nOoblet16

The community has become so damn toxic in my experience, it's always insults and nothing else. We didn't have a healer so I switched from a tank to a healer, 30 seconds later some guy changes to healer and yells at me for switching to a healer and not playing a tank..wut?

Then we get to the 2nd point in Anubis, everyone is trying to attack from the middle path and characters like Tracer and other flankers standing behind my shield instead of you know flanking. I decided not to go mid path because there was a symmetra at the end using her alternate fire constantly, I go to the side and people desert me because they didn't wanna go there. So I mention what's the point playing tank if you dont get behind me and some guy calls me blind and the other says something else. I go to the right and ofc because the other team has 2 pharahs and right side is an open flank we get taken out easily.

I mean if you want to do something then say in the game, not at the end of it or when we are about to finish. I'm not gonna know what you want to do if you don't tell me especially if I am playing a character I never play because no one else picked it despite the fact that there's an obvious need of it. And surely there's a better way to convey than insulting someone in the first sentence ?

I've had a Roadhog survive a bomb before. Wiki says it does 400 so that should kill most everyone except for Roadhog/Winston, and even then if you shoot them right after sticking it should be enough.

cory64

x100000 lol... People crying about McCree's OP fan the hammer never rolled with or went against truly skilled Genji players. They can fucking team wipe on their own when given a few heals.
Genji is a 3 star character, he's allowed to be slightly OP in the right hands. McCree is supposed to be a mid-skill character but he's effective in almost anyone's hands and performing roles outside of his kit right now, that's where the problem lies.

I just want to win a fucking game. I derive zero enjoyment out of doing well individually and still losing, so consistently getting put on shit teams is beyond infuriating. I just lost seven games in a row while earning 3+ gold medals each time. There are no words for how much I hate that. I'd much rather go 0/10 playing the objective (and trust me, I've done that) and win than whatever the fuck the matchmaking is doing lately. This game will never surpass TF2 in my mind simply because of the lack of a server browser.

-Don't charge off when your team is depending on your shield. In fact, don't charge off often unless there's an oblivious target because they can dodge him pretty simply.

-Avoid turning around in the face of an enemy team if one person gets behind your shield and shoots you if you have a team behind you, that's what your team is for.

-Don't be afraid to melee when things get too hard to contain

-If your team refuses to get behind your shield/make use of you/support your push, don't play Reinhardt

Thank you. I hate when I'm doing a Mercy/Bastion/Reinhardt combo and the Reinhardt turns to block a flanker, giving the other five enemies a clear shot.

nOoblet16

I've had a Roadhog survive a bomb before. Wiki says it does 400 so that should kill most everyone except for Roadhog/Winston, and even then if you shoot them right after sticking it should be enough.

D.Va and Reinhardt will survive the bomb from full health. D.Va will also easily get away after the bomb, and Tracer's gun barely hurts her and it doesn't even tickle if at distance (due to armour).

Attacking on Hanamura really is the worst. Map needs a complete overhaul.

A good defensive team will absolutely lock down that first checkpoint. The map requires coordination and communication for the attackers, it's as simple as that.

Personally, I love sneaking in as Genji through the "window" on the upper left side of the entry way, I dash out of range from any turrets/bastions, go around back of the checkpoint and report what I see to teammates. From there, we adapt. Junkrats and Farrah's are super useful to eliminate turrets/bastions, which are always holed up there, especially in the room to the right of entrance.

As genji there's 2 or 3 healthpacks right in the vicinity of the point, so I harass/heal and get a few kills from the back while the team pushes in from the front.

Mupod

Yikes, I need to know this too. I thought I saw someone say in the past that Zarya's barrier extends a bit in the front beyond Rein's shield so if someone is shooting the center then it could work?

I tested this last night and that seems to be exactly what's happening - the shield pokes out enough that shots hit it. I always assumed that shielding him was a waste of time but I was getting full charge off a Reinhardt in that round.

nOoblet16

Coming across a Genji that can wipe your team is harder than coming across your average McRightbuttonCree. It also takes skills to do that team wipe, more so if it's without ult...McCree's flash bombo is literally a one button win.

Not a valid comparison.

DrArchon

So every tank survives at full health except for Zarya. Good to know. I'll still stick them when I get the chance just because that's still a lot of damage (and I NEED that adorable spray), plus how often are tanks at full health anyway?

The community has become so damn toxic in my experience, it's always insults and nothing else. We didn't have a healer so I switched from a tank to a healer, 30 seconds later some guy changes to healer and yells at me for switching to a healer and not playing a tank..wut?

Then we get to the 2nd point in Anubis, everyone is trying to attack from the middle path and characters like Tracer and other flankers standing behind my shield instead of you know flanking. I decided not to go mid path because there was a symmetra at the end using her alternate fire constantly, I go to the side and people desert me because they didn't wanna go there. So I mention what's the point playing tank if you dont get behind me and some guy calls me blind and the other says something else. I go to the right and ofc because the other team has 2 pharahs and right side is an open flank we get taken out easily.

I mean if you want to do something then say in the game, not at the end of it or when we are about to finish. I'm not gonna know what you want to do if you don't tell me especially if I am playing a character I never play because no one else picked it despite the fact that there's an obvious need of it. And surely there's a better way to convey than insulting someone in the first sentence ?

Had a similar experience yesterday too. I wasn't able to find any open groups with people from here so I had to play with/against randoms, boy was that rough. I was the only one with a mic so I was trying to coordinate things but nope, the 2 Hanzo's and Widowmaker wouldn't switch out characters to round out our team.

God forbid anyone protects/attacks the payload, god forbid anyone use any remote semblance or teamwork.

Klyka

Banned
I am legit not good enough as a Genji player to easily 1v1 a Widowmaker.

I have 3 hours played as him but just have a really hard time getting his Shurikens on target.
Especially Widowmaker will just grapple away, jump around ,poison mine and keep peppering you with her SMG. You deflect the SMG for a bullet or two which makes her stop and then once it's over she'll go right back to it.

I don't know,maybe it was just a bad match with he Widow having a constant pocket Mercy.

I just really need to get better with those shurikens.

aeolist

Banned

sticking tanks is useful just because there's often a crowd around them and you can catch people in the aoe. same for turrets/bastion.

getting multi-kills from pulse bomb is so satisfying. i had a great triple kill potg last night to win a hollywood push game and it was just the best shit, dropped it off the ledge right at the end of the map and killed winston, lucio, and mccree coming out of their spawn towards the cart.

going past a rein shield to get the cluster around him is good too.

I just want to win a fucking game. I derive zero enjoyment out of doing well individually and still losing, so consistently getting put on shit teams is beyond infuriating. I just lost seven games in a row while earning 3+ gold medals each time. There are no words for how much I hate that. I'd much rather go 0/10 playing the objective (and trust me, I've done that) and win than whatever the fuck the matchmaking is doing lately. This game will never surpass TF2 in my mind simply because of the lack of a server browser.

Yeah i had a bad string of matches last night and it was just bad team after bad team. When a game is close or at least we are trying there is fun to be had. But when your team is easily getting stream rolled its no fun. Playing capture the point and everyone is having their own one on one match with the other team outside of the capture point can be annoying. Or trying to move the payload when you have two players post up in the back as bastion for some reason.

Thing is you don't have to be skilled to go absolutely ape-shit with McCree. I've played him maybe 30 mins in like 40 hours and every time I play as him (pretty much random hero mode) I destroy with ease. You right click and people just die there is nothing else to it.

LiK

Thing is you don't have to be skilled to go absolutely ape-shit with McCree. I've played him maybe 30 mins in like 40 hours and every time I play as him (pretty much random hero mode) I destroy with ease. You right click and people just die there is nothing else to it.

He's way harder to play on consoles. I can see how easy he is with m/kb tho.

I am legit not good enough as a Genji player to easily 1v1 a Widowmaker.

I have 3 hours played as him but just have a really hard time getting his Shurikens on target.
Especially Widowmaker will just grapple away, jump around ,poison mine and keep peppering you with her SMG. You deflect the SMG for a bullet or two which makes her stop and then once it's over she'll go right back to it.

I don't know,maybe it was just a bad match with he Widow having a constant pocket Mercy.

I just really need to get better with those shurikens.

I play on console, but two changes really helped my genji game.
First, change the reticle from the default to the cross (or the dot). Also, change the color to yellow or green, which makes it pop a lot more.
Second, if you're on console, map jump to left bumper. This enables you to be very mobile and aim while you're jumping and climbing. As a side note, I also map jump to left bumper on Lucio as it makes wall running much easier.

abundant

A good defensive team will absolutely lock down that first checkpoint. The map requires coordination and communication for the attackers, it's as simple as that.

Personally, I love sneaking in as Genji through the "window" on the upper left side of the entry way, I dash out of range from any turrets/bastions, go around back of the checkpoint and report what I see to teammates. From there, we adapt. Junkrats and Farrah's are super useful to eliminate turrets/bastions, which are always holed up there, especially in the room to the right of entrance.

As genji there's 2 or 3 healthpacks right in the vicinity of the point, so I harass/heal and get a few kills from the back while the team pushes in from the front.

Another good strategy I found on Hanamura is to build up D.Va's ult, launch it in there and watch it take out the turrets and anyone else caught in the blast. At the same time, have your team rush in and take over control of the first point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom