• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Did you mean Icycle? Because that should definitely have more drop to it at long range. I've beaten more Widows than I would ever dream of dropping in straight up sniping duels with that thing.

No, any widow beaten by that are pretty terrible widows.

It's good for harrassment, but if a widow lose to that in a straight up sniper battle they should not be playing widow.

ISOM

That's the thing. There's no real skillful way of playing Hanzo if the game is heated and a lot of enemies are running all over the place. THE way to play Hanzo in that situation is to spam shit with no regard as to what you're doing, and the game actively rewards you for it because the hitboxes are so outrageous. That's why he's a terrible character. You can be careful and aim far behind the frontlines and it really feels like that's what he was intended to do, but in making his arrows non-scopable and still viable as a sniper anyway they've made him frustrating to play against at medium range.

What BS. I wonder people who say this actually take the time to play Hanzo for the day. Spamming arrows isn't going to do shit much if you don't know how to account for velocity, drop etc. Yeah you may get some spam arrows on stationary targets but moving ones? Not consistently at all.

BigDug13

That's the thing I don't get. Why does Torb get all that stuff in one ult while other heroes struggle to do much with their ults in comparison? Two Torbs stacking up turrets and covering their blinds while giving their whole time extra armor and any push you make?

Nah, ima just click that instant turret heal button and have it shoot rockets next while also not dying through whatever you were shooting at me with.

I'm more annoyed by the instant tracking on the turret though. It takes the enjoyment out of the game to have to swap to counter heroes over and over and still not win because the randoms weren't doing it or doing much. Yeah, pouring salt and whatever.

Not to mention that each single death provides scrap for EACH Torb in the group, essentially doubling the available armor packs for your team with a second Torb. everyone in the group has 75 extra hps that also eat 5 damage per shot due to being armor.

Blizzard

Banned
Roadhog is weak to a lot of midrange or long attacks. Think soldier 76, hanzo, widow, for example. Even if they heal up you're gonna get your ult very fast with all the damage you're putting out. Reaper can also melt roadhogs if they get up close.
Yeah, double or trip soldiers should demolish the Hog Squad. Soldier stacks are hard to beat without extensive coordination.
Widow headshots are unreliable and KOTH point time builds up very quickly if you have 2-3 widows instead of tanky characters.

And wouldn't the roadhogs just instantly grab + kill any soldier or reaper? 250 HP or less will instantly die to a roadhog combo at midrange.

Widow headshots are unreliable and KOTH point time builds up very quickly if you have 2-3 widows instead of tanky characters.

And wouldn't the roadhogs just instantly grab + kill any soldier or reaper? 250 HP or less will instantly die to a roadhog combo at midrange.
A soldier can sprint out of reach. Two soldiers should be able to down a self healing hog at range, you just need them headshots. Reaper I'm not sure, I suppose you need to block the hook? After that Reaper damage is pretty nuts, but I think Soldier 76 stands more of a chance overall.

Sorral

Zenyatta can be pretty cool.

A match can turn really fun when playing as Zenyatta and with a good tank that actually covers for you. I definitely need to play him some more.

Not to mention that each single death provides scrap for EACH Torb in the group, essentially doubling the available armor packs for your team with a second Torb. everyone in the group has 75 extra hps that also eat 5 damage per shot due to being armor.

...What? lol..why Blizzard. Just why

Lol what? Widowmaker has hitscan. I'm a bad sniper and I can still land headshots consistently on roadhog. And both soldier and reaper are strong against roadhogs. If you're consistently dying to chain hooks, the problem isn't the hero match up, it's the skill levels.

I'm not syaing 2-3 widows. Your team comp can vary a lot. There are a lot of characters that perform okay against roadhog. Bust out a 1 widow, 1 soldier and 1 zenyatta perhaps and you should be able to melt roadhogs. Or perhaps 1 soldier, 1 reaper, 1 hanzo.

Blizzard

Banned
Lol what? Widowmaker has hitscan. I'm a bad sniper and I can still land headshots consistently on roadhog. And both soldier and reaper are strong against roadhogs. If you're consistently dying to chain hooks, the problem isn't the hero match up, it's the skill levels.

I'm not syaing 2-3 widows. Your team comp can vary a lot. There are a lot of characters that perform okay against roadhog. Bust out a 1 widow, 1 soldier and 1 zenyatta perhaps and you should be able to melt roadhogs. Or perhaps 1 soldier, 1 reaper, 1 hanzo.
I'm a bad sniper and I can hardly land headshots on anyone, at 50 ping and 70 fps. A level 100+ friend told me that even pro players barely get 33% headshots, but perhaps I was misinformed. They said that due to the models and tick rate and such, hoping for an upper chest shot is best, and headshots are more of a lucky bonus.

I've had the same sort of experience trying to headshot frozen enemies with Mei. I can be 2 feet away with someone completely frozen and still be unsure how to headshot because of how weird the models and animations are sometimes. I'll be afraid it'll hit a shoulder instead.

Maybe a good Widow could have helped us though.

It's probably just my bad luck, but since hitting level 30 I've found I'm no longer being put in lobbies with anyone below 30. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but for some reason it would seem nobody I play with now (lvl 40+) seems to know how to defend the first 2/3 points.

I've not been in a game since levelling up (10/15 games ago) where the first 2 or so points have been defended rigorously and that everyone has just decided to try and fight it out for the last point instead - even when I'm on attack.

Very strange.

Lyng

That's the thing. There's no real skillful way of playing Hanzo if the game is heated and a lot of enemies are running all over the place. THE way to play Hanzo in that situation is to spam shit with no regard as to what you're doing, and the game actively rewards you for it because the hitboxes are so outrageous. That's why he's a terrible character. You can be careful and aim far behind the frontlines and it really feels like that's what he was intended to do, but in making his arrows non-scopable and still viable as a sniper anyway they've made him frustrating to play against at medium range.

A close friend of mine really enjoyed Hanzo at first. Allways getting PoTg and tons of kills. In time he got bored. He was used to the skill required of snipers in other games, with Hanzo's hitbox its way to easy he felt.

A soldier can sprint out of reach. Two soldiers should be able to down a self healing hog at range, you just need them headshots. Reaper I'm not sure, I suppose you need to block the hook? After that Reaper damage is pretty nuts, but I think Soldier 76 stands more of a chance overall.

Maybe I've just played against bad Roadhogs, but on maps where you often get up-close to each other, my Reaper usually wins over Roadhog. You can use your invisibility to get real close, and then circle the Roadhog while firing. The Roadhogs typically have a hard time following me around and since their firing speed is slower, a missed shot by them is more dangerous than a missed shot by a Reaper. This is on consoles, where horizontal aiming sensitivity is of course lower than on PC.

This is assuming it's a 1v1. If there's another Roadhog nearby that chains me in, I could be in serious trouble.

Ferga

People get really mad when you ask them to switch heroes. Like, REALLY mad.

Yeah.. I saw very few issues whenever people asked for hero changes when I was playing with pre level 10s.

Now it's just a bunch of high levels stacking their crappy genjis and widowmakers against winstons and reinhardts

Gator86

Blizzard should make a game mode that consists only of strafing back and forth in front of chokepoints. Just give the idiots what they want so the rest of us can play in peace. If I'm on the objective holding off 3 people with the other 3 also rushing back, you should not be at the chokepoint strafing back and forth shooting at literally nothing.

Love the game, but Overwatch has the absolute worst playerbase of any game I've ever spent significant time with.

Correct. You can't 'waste' Mercy's ult. The game won't let you.
Except when that tank is just out of reach but you think he's not and instead you revive a single widow behind you!

Speaking of which, I think that happened to me for the first time today. Other than being aware where people have died, is there a prompt on corpses showing that they are within reach, that I've missed?

Scarecrow

If a player is Sym, and they shield someone while waiting in base, then the shielded person changes characters, does the shield stay?

If I play Sym and shield everyone while waiting in base, then I change heroes, does the shield stay?

Nyx

Blizzard should make a game mode that consists only of strafing back and forth in front of chokepoints. Just give the idiots what they want so the rest of us can play in peace. If I'm on the objective holding off 3 people with the other 3 also rushing back, you should not be at the chokepoint strafing back and forth shooting at literally nothing.

Love the game, but Overwatch has the absolute worst playerbase of any game I've ever spent significant time with.

Maybe a mandatory non-skippable tutorial video on the gamemodes, overtime etc. can be made and shown to everybody who starts up an online game after the update. Just once ofcourse.

Just short 'n sweet but enough so that everybody at least knows what the goals are in each mode.

Even if it helps just a few % of the people now (maybe) not knowing exactly how it works.

edit: or even better, make loading screens with that kind of info and maybe a short animation.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If a player is Sym, and they shield someone while waiting in base, then the shielded person changes characters, does the shield stay?

If I play Sym and shield everyone while waiting in base, then I change heroes, does the shield stay?

Nope.

Teleporter also disappears once you change.

Walpurgis

Banned

No and no.
Maybe a mandatory non-skippable tutorial video on the gamemodes, overtime etc. can be made and shown to everybody who starts up an online game after the update. Just once ofcourse.

Just short 'n sweet but enough so that everybody at least knows what the goals are in each mode.

Even if it helps just a few % of the people now (maybe) not knowing exactly how it works.

edit: or even better, make loading screens with that kind of info and maybe a short animation.
Something like the TF2 pre-match animations would be a welcome addition.

hbkdx12

Except when that tank is just out of reach but you think he's not and instead you revive a single widow behind you!

Speaking of which, I think that happened to me for the first time today. Other than being aware where people have died, is there a prompt on corpses showing that they are within reach, that I've missed?

I'm not 100% but when the prompt that comes up in the middle of the screen says the number of teammates down, i believe that's also an indication of how many teammates you're in range of and can be rezzed from where you are. If you move out of range or they stay dead for too long the number will decrease or the prompt will disappear.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Went 12-5 tonight on top of getting Devil Mercy from a box, and I'm at 925 gold so I can get another soon.

Sometimes feels good man.

I have enough gold for a Legendary skin. My top 5 Heroes are Lúcio, Genji, Mercy, Zenyatta and Torbjörn. Already bought Lúcio'a Ribbit skin earlier (the best btw), now I have no idea who's I should get!

I'm kinda ties between Zenyatta's "Ra" skin and Torb's "Barbarossa". But a part of me also just wants to get "June Bug" or "White Rabbit" for D.Va! I can't decide!

NIN90

Um yes there is an icon in the top middle of your screen.

tanooki27

are you one of those guys who whispers "absolutely pathetic" into the mic after a close loss?

Um yes there is an icon in the top middle of your screen.
Well yeah! But when the icon pops up, and I have the person I want to revive in-front, I want to be sure I'm in range of that particular guy. If I'm moving towards a corpse and someone dies beside me I can't be sure if I moved within range, unless there's an indicator at the corpse (or I get the feeeeeeling down). :<

Rad-

The people who play Zenyatta and are so focused on attacking that they don't heal their teammates are the absolute worst.

Weird if there are players like that. Even ignoring the whole healing aspect, having that orb up builds up Zen's ult charge much faster so you should always have the orb on someone.

The people who play Zenyatta and are so focused on attacking that they don't heal their teammates are the absolute worst.

Sometimes it's more expedient to kill the person attacking than to try to heal the person taking damage, especially with the travel time and LOS requirement. Zen also has far less mobility and durability than Lucio and Mercy meaning you probably can't rely on his heals if you're too spread out.

Blizzard just put me into two already finished and losing games, just as I started the game and back to back, thanks blizzard.

The trick, I've found, with Torbjorn's turret is to only repair it when you've cleared an area of the opposing team. Otherwise, you should be on the move and setting it up in a different area as it gets destroyed. This keeps them from knowing where it is and they'll have to figure out which angle they're getting fired from. In addition, if your turret doesn't get destroyed, you can shoot at your enemy from several different angles. That's the strongest point of the turret, the ability to have attacks coming from a variety of vectors.

Thats exactly what im doing. Still feel bad lol

nOoblet16

So my Genji skills have deteriorated, playing other characters and at the same time coming across better players have affected my ability to be effective.

I am a disappointment to the Seagull God.

Danj

I'd really love to play Widowmaker more, but I can't hit anything for toffee. How are you supposed to hit a target down a scope when both it and you are moving? I can't do it.

might have to get a few people together to play this with. i haven't even won a single game yet and to be honest it's starting to bother me. i'm playing as best as i can but just not getting anywhere with the teams i'm in.

Xyber

I'd really love to play Widowmaker more, but I can't hit anything for toffee. How are you supposed to hit a target down a scope when both it and you are moving? I can't do it.

Git gud is really the only answer.

It can also help to mess with your sensitivity, you might be using one that is kinda high when scoped in which makes sniping harder.

nOoblet16

After 62 hours of playing complicated character I played an entire match as Soldier for the first time, and he's...pretty good !

AaBkllm.gif

His DPS is great at medium range, I think he has the best and most consistent medium range DPS...plus he's very fast and can heal himself and others. His Helix rockets are better than Pharah's rockets for surprising enemies, but then it's a special ability compared to a primary fire of Pharah.

ViviOggi

Those icon Z games where you fire only two black holes, each leading to a wipe + cap and you end the game with four gold medals and all of the upboats
whew.png

Ugh queen

Be patient on the first shot; it reveals where you are and makes people dodge, return fire or hunt you. Whenever you can, shoot into the scrimmage to finish enemies engaging friends.

Favor shooting people when they're going INTO cover instead of peeking out - makes figuring out your location harder and, if still alive, they often peek right back out to scan for you.

Also adjust sideways aim by strafing instead of sweeping the reticule. It's smoother and less finicky while making you harder to hit with a lot of weapons.

Be extremely aggressive when attacked close up and escape vertically with the hook when they're disoriented - it's always preferable to retreat and set up a new shot than a respawn.

Use your grapple mobility to come up behind the enemy. You can't sustain that position but it scatters and distracts them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom