• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small rant. Please excuse me.

So earlier I was invited to play some group games with my friend's cousin and his group of friends.

Never before have I wished I was playing with Randoms as much as I was then.

It literally was the first time I ever have experience the "casual" mindset that I often hear about but never really experienced 1st hand, most GAF groups and my IRL friends group take this game's meta pretty seriously. (No that doesn't mean I'm amazing or anything, I consider myself pretty bad.)

These people had no idea on proper team comp/tiers/meta, would instantly switch characters upon each death, thought stacking Heroes was the key to success and thought Elims/Medals/Achievements(Fucking REALLy?!) were more important than objectives. Yet whine and moaned when we lost.

I don't think we ever had a successful group push as everyone was trying to play Hero ball and chase down elims. I have to ask, do the majority of people who play this share a similar mindset?

I just don't get it, To me winning is fun, grinding the red team into the dirt is fun, seeing the other team all leave is fun. Complete Global Saturation is fun.

I don't understand Gaf, I just don't understand.

DrArchon

I understand why Reinhardt's ult charges as fast as it does, but it's really annoying to try to fight Reinhardt and have him slam on the "I win" button. Normally Reinhardt is easy prey on KOTH maps with Reaper, but it seems like more often then not he hits Q and I lose.

Also fuck Torbjorn's ult while I'm at it. That's the real "I win" button, except it charges slower and it wins 1v5 instead of just 1v1. I stood in front of his turret and went Whole Hog with Roadhog, but then Torb just turns on Molten Core and I die without even cutting the turret's health in half. Unbelievable.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
FFS matchmaking, when I leave a match I want to stay gone. 3 times I get placed with the same horrible teammates because of matchmaking.

I think generally there are a few heroes people just dislike, including Mei. I've noticed when the cards come up at the end of the match Mei never gets votes, neither do fan the hammer McCree's nor turret kill Torbjorns. How generally irritating and anti-fun those characters can be causes the community to see them differently.
From playing with my friends I can confirm that Torb Turrets, McCree fans and maybe Bastion kills/damage dealt tend to get ignored in favour of anything else.

As for Mei, with us it's usually just a case where she only ever gets enemy frozen time cards which never sound particularly impressive when stacked against everything else. The game can be odd like this with some characters, like when I have a great Zen game with gold medals galore but they present a card of miniscule transcendence healing as my contribution.

My team loves me when I play Mei.

It's all fun and games until you're the one frozen with the cranium icicle incoming.

ramyeon

That's kind of the exact thing you want though isn't it?

Couple of times I have to type "Stop chasing that goddamn genji/tracer"
Yeah pretty much. I tend to target the Reinhardt from the get go, zipping around and behind him. Kind of acting like a fly they want to squat. Must really infuriate a lot of people to the point they stop shielding their team mates and run around trying to wack me. Good times :D

Yeah pretty much. I tend to target the Reinhardt from the get go, zipping around and behind him. Kind of acting like a fly they want to squat. Must really infuriate a lot of people to the point they stop shielding their team mates and run around trying to wack me. Good times :D
I've had times where half the enemy team was preoccupied trying to kill me as Tracer.

I understand why Reinhardt's ult charges as fast as it does, but it's really annoying to try to fight Reinhardt and have him slam on the "I win" button. Normally Reinhardt is easy prey on KOTH maps with Reaper, but it seems like more often then not he hits Q and I lose.

Also fuck Torbjorn's ult while I'm at it. That's the real "I win" button, except it charges slower and it wins 1v5 instead of just 1v1. I stood in front of his turret and went Whole Hog with Roadhog, but then Torb just turns on Molten Core and I die without even cutting the turret's health in half. Unbelievable.

Honestly I think a lot of the ults are "i win " buttons. A lot of nicely timed ults can really clear the way to the objective or repel the attackers when you're about to lose.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Genji is pretty damn easy to deal with as mei from my experience. It is pretty funny to see them panic reflect her ice beam. Tracers think that they're so cute being able to phase out of freeze, but now I just icicle them. So much fun to predict where they'll zip to only to fall down dead with an icicle at the back of their heads.

Gryph

Honestly I think a lot of the ults are "i win " buttons. A lot of nicely timed ults can really clear the way to the objective or repel the attackers when you're about to lose.

Ult management really is the name of the game... People who can coordinate and bank ults properly with their team are the ones who will go on to do well in ranked...

Xeteh

Small rant. Please excuse me.

So earlier I was invited to play some group games with my friend's cousin and his group of friends.

Never before have I wished I was playing with Randoms as much as I was then.

It literally was the first time I ever have experience the "casual" mindset that I often hear about but never really experienced 1st hand, most GAF groups and my IRL friends group take this game's meta pretty seriously. (No that doesn't mean I'm amazing or anything, I consider myself pretty bad.)

These people had no idea on proper team comp/tiers/meta, would instantly switch characters upon each death, thought stacking Heroes was the key to success and thought Elims/Medals/Achievements(Fucking REALLy?!) were more important than objectives. Yet whine and moaned when we lost.

I don't think we ever had a successful group push as everyone was trying to play Hero ball and chase down elims. I have to ask, do the majority of people who play this share a similar mindset?

I just don't get it, To me winning is fun, grinding the red team into the dirt is fun, seeing the other team all leave is fun. Complete Global Saturation is fun.

I don't understand Gaf, I just don't understand.

Yeah, I get what you're talking about. I played the other night with my brother and a friend of his from CS:GO. His friend was alright but we were also playing with this guy's dad and he picked Mei every single game and I love me some Mei, I play her as much as I can. He was awful, I can't tell you how many times my hooks on Roadhog or shots on other characters got blocked because he basically would cast Wall on cooldown. Anytime we'd kill their team to clear the point "I killed everyone, we're good"... dude, there's 3 other people here, "ELIMINATED" doesn't mean you killed them. I know it doesn't matter but people taking credit for every little thing drives me up a wall.

I'm fine if people aren't really good, its fine. We all sucked at a game at one point... its alright... It drives me up a wall when people are bad but think they're great, they aren't thinking about improving, they just blame the people around them.

SeanR1221

McCree masters help me. I want to do better with him, but I feel like I die really fast and I'm not effective.

I try and stay at a medium range near tank or support.
I'm not holding down the fire button and instead taking deliberate shots.
I feel like I have a good handle on his stun.

But I'm doing terrible

McCree masters help me. I want to do better with him, but I feel like I die really fast and I'm not effective.

But I'm doing terrible

Hallways and tight spaces are your friend for taking out anyone who isn't a tank. When firing don't click but hold the mouse as it will help you focus on aiming and not adjusting do to your finger presses. When they get close flash and fan, if you miss or don't kill them, roll and fan again. Thats basically McCree. Other than that, just practice.

But I'm doing terrible

McCree is a close range character not mid since he has a fair amount of damage drop off. Sounds like the way you are playing him you might be better off with Soldier 76. Staying near the support is a proper way to play him since his primary job is to protect them from characters like Tracer and Genji but most people will flank for surprise high noons and camp doorways with his flashbang.

But I'm doing terrible
I agree with More Fun. It sounds like you're playing McCree more like Soldier 76. Adjust to some closer range tactics.

LiK

But I'm doing terrible

stun/fan combo.

Blizzard

Banned
These double Tracers, jesus. Literally worse than McCree.
I'd rather be stun-mccree'd any day than face a single Tracer, let alone two. I feel like there are 1-2 Tracers in most of my games now, too.

By the way, about the 50% matchmaking goal, I'm so bad the game can't compensate. With 356 games played I only have a 47.2% win record.

Antiwhippy

These double Tracers, jesus. Literally worse than McCree.

I've face a couple of really good tracer/genji team ups that pretty much made me go mccree to deal with them.

Which is a bad idea because I barely play him so I'm not actually good with him, but god almighty man. Good tracer/genji teamups are hella annoying.

On the other hand I think I'll play mccree more now because he's really fun. I'm really bad with him though.

Also got that fly yellow suit on him so that's pretty cool too. It's actually kinda bad how epic skins influence who I play. Wouldn't play junkrat, reaper or mccree if I didn't get their epic skins.

Antiwhippy

With how hard a good tracer is to hit I'm not sure if pharah or junkrat are the best counters.

Double mei is easy to counter though.

MartyStu

Just recently added Reinhardt and Bastion to my repertoire of characters.

Rein is great in pubs when your team is too stupid to realize that moving the payload may actually be more important than hunting down the opposing team.

And Bastion...this dude is really fun to play if you are careful to consistently rotate you position and not try to outshoot people targeting you. People expect Bastion to stupidly sit around and and just turret all day. In the same spot.

And I know it is blasphemous, but he is often very useful on attack when you want to create enough chaos to allow your team to gain a footing on assault maps.

ElyrionX

I love this game, but here is my experience: I find a pub. Everyone has chosen Widow/Hanzo/Mei/McCree, regardless of the map. I choose either Lucio/Mercy or a Reinhardt, because the team obv needs both. We get rolled because I and MAYBE one other player are actually on the point. Redo.

It happens all the damn time. People don't want to group up. Everyone wants to flank or backstab to get the kills. This is also why I don't play tanks. You never know whether your team will be around to support you or not.

The worst is being invited to a group and finding out that the group has zero coordination and teamwork. Everyone just does their own shit and refuses to group up. Might as go with pubs then.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I love playing Tracer.

Also, I feel like I'm a boss with Roadhog against Tracer. I probably have about 75% hook accuracy against Tracer.

I'm not claiming to be good - at all. But man, I feel on point with these two.

Xeteh

I love playing Tracer.

Also, I feel like I'm a boss with Roadhog against Tracer. I probably have about 75% hook accuracy against Tracer.

I'm not claiming to be good - at all. But man, I feel on point with these two.

Roadhog is my second most played hero and he's my favorite counter for Tracer. Its not like she's free to hooks but when that hook lands you know she's dead (barring any bad hook pathing). As someone who has played a shitload of Mercy, killing Tracers will never not feel great.

I can't wait for Comp. I get into this competitive mindset after a while and then end up with a group who is just fucking around - bam, insta-salt.

FiggyCal

Banned
I had a level 90 Lucio on my team who just refused to heal. He was on speed boost the whole game. I switched to Lucio for the last 3 minutes and I got gold healing.

Maybe if you just got the game. But level 90? Come on...

MartyStu

I had a level 90 Lucio on my team who just refused to heal. He was on speed boost the whole game. I switched to Lucio for the last 3 minutes and I got gold healing.

Maybe if just got the game. But level 90? Come on...

Lucio is weird in that he can be played almost as a straight up assault character if your aim is good enough. I suppose that is what he was doing.

exfatal

Man i played some awesome random games today was on fire, and then got my loot box was like the game new i was doing good and rewarded me.
13458747_10153827859612842_973905238858559008_o.jpg
my 3rd legendary skin thus far

Antiwhippy

I did run into that team mei at hanamura point A where they are constantly icewalling. Wasn't that bad really. Just fly up with pharah and hit everyone with rockets. Point B where they changed out to something else was the true hell though. Didn't realise how effective roadhog is at that top window.

Lucio is weird in that he can be played almost as a straight up assault character if your aim is good enough. I suppose that is what he was doing.

His gun is too weak and slow to outgun anyone who knows what they're doing though. I always found it best as a supplement to a group assault.

MartyStu

I did run into that team mei at hanamura point A where they are constantly icewalling. Wasn't that bad really. Just fly up with pharah and hit everyone with rockets. Point B where they changed out to something else was the true hell though. Didn't realise how effective roadhog is at that top window.

His gun is too weak and slow to outgun anyone who knows what they're doing though. I always found it best as a supplement to a group assault.

Oh yeah, I definitely did not mean to imply he should go it alone. And the best he can be is a nuisance/cleanup for others.

The point being he can be played much more 'assault-y' than all the other supports. Most games I am in now usually has a Lucio on point being a dick. Especially KOTH.

rSpooky

had my first "legendary" kudos (10 votes) last night (mercy ). everyone wanted to know what is got me.. other then a smile on my face?? nothing..lol

Still very cool to get that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom