• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lost about 65-70 fps since the patch. I know about the forum thread, but I hope they can fix the issue soon. You do have to wonder if it were any other competent multiplayer game, we might have seen a rollback already.

ramyeon

Holy moly I just played a match with the most insane lag. looks like the servers are dying?
Probably unrelated but I had this for the first time ever last night. It was terrible. Felt like I was teleporting to and from places at points, enemies would be there one moment and gone the next.

Somehow got gold medal for eliminations and objective eliminations regardless.

While the servers are in flames, have any good "how to play ____" pop up yet? Mainly I want to learn better tactics fro Zarya, Zenyatta and maybe Tracer?

R0ckman

A character who silences might help with Mercy and would also force more games to be more than ult rush spams during the last few seconds.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
While the servers are in flames, have any good "how to play ____" pop up yet? Mainly I want to learn better tactics fro Zarya, Zenyatta and maybe Tracer?

Can't recommend this guide for Zarya enough.

Overwatch Central and Unit Lost YT channels have some pretty decent "how to" vids for each character. My usual routine is to watch their videos, then jump into practice mode to get a feel for a new character, before taking them for a spin in a vs. AI match.

Only after I feel confident that I'll be somewhat useful will I take them into Freeplay.

ramyeon

Overwatch Central and Unit Lost YT channels have some pretty decent "how to" vids for each character. My usual routine is to watch their videos, then jump into practice mode to get a feel for a new character, before taking them for a spin in a vs. AI match.

Only after I feel confident that I'll be somewhat useful will I take them into Freeplay.
Sorry for not accepting your game invite last night! I was only on for one or two rounds before bed. I think I actually got put into a game with you right before I stopped and probably froze you a few times with Mei.
Sorry about that too lol.

aravuus

Quoting this post so I remember to watch some of these when I get home

Too scared to just jump in and start learning new heroes from scratch lol

Ramirez

Jumping into those Hanzo ults with Zarya like,

nUsXpvM.png

There's just not a better feeling in this game than becoming a fully charged terror.

Me: "Why are you using Torb? He's not useful for attacking on Numbani. We have no support for our tank (me) can't you play support?"

Random: "Sometimes Torb good"

Right, glad we cleared that one up. I won't worry about dying over and over due to lacking a support, because 'sometimes Torb good'. No worries, carry on...

Fuck this...

Syntax

So question: does anyone take personal responsibility for a loss or poor performance or is it "shit team gg noobs"?

As someone that considers themselves a poor to mediocre player, I'm always considering what I could have done differently that might have lead to a better outcome. Rarely, though it does happen, do I simply write the team off as a loss - usually has more to do with comp for skill level.

Rize_21

Just watching Maximilian's stream, the lag is unreal lol, it's crazy.

e: no hard feelings, I just reflect on mistakes I've might have made and keep them in mind, that's all, if we got steamrolled, we'll steamroll too some games later! :) game is too team focused to blame yourself imo, it's impossible to carry a game with one individual.

Trickster

I mainly don't understand how someone hasn't come up with a solution to dealing with ddos attacks. Granted I'm not an expert on the subject. But couldn't you make a system that detects when you are getting ddos'd by something, and then redirect that over to some other server or what have you?

Those are good tips. I've been rolling with Zarya lately, and as long as you pick her when you have aggressive teammates on your team like D.Va, Genji, 76, Road or Tracer (or reliable energy-giving enemies like Trob, Road, Bastion), you'll always have plenty of energy available. If you have a bunch of passive picks like Trob, Hanzo, Junk and Widow or unlikely-to-be-hit picks like Pharah on the team, your energy will be chronically low. You don't want to pick her in these scenarios.

My only tip outside of that is to build your aggression around your cooldowns. If you don't have your personal shield available (or available soon), you should play far less aggo. Otherwise, go ham. Follow your deep diving teammates. Try to coordinate surge around their abilities if possible. She's most effective when you can combo another ult with hers.

And as the article said, Reinhardt is like the bane of her existence because the shield is so strong against basic attacks. I often times don't even use the ult until Reinhardt has been killed (or unless I have a Hanzo or Tracer ult ready to combo with me).

One recent game I ended the game with an average of 73% energy. I balled the fuck out.

Reading through it now, thanks!

peakish

So question: does anyone take personal responsibility for a loss or poor performance or is it "shit team gg noobs"?

As someone that considers themselves a poor to mediocre player, I'm always considering what I could have done differently that might have lead to a better outcome. Rarely, though it does happen, do I simply write the team off as a loss - usually has more to do with comp for skill level.
I don't take personal responsibility for a team game but I try to think of what switches or plays I could have made to improve it. Sometimes I know I played shitty, maybe due to not being familiar with a character (I've made some absolutely terrible Reinhardt charges) but often there's no excuse. This leaves me with a feeling that someone else on the team will be complaining about me on some forum.

There are times when I know a few of my team mates are bad but I try to keep in mind that everyone has off games and that there's probably a couple of other players on the team who like me tried their best to keep things together. There's no point in raging at other people.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I am playing Overwatch on PC with my PlayStation-controller. I tried the keyboard and mouse but it just feels not good. The only reason why I am playing on PC is because all of my friends are there.

Anyway which heroes do you recommend me to play with on PC with my controller.

The ones that I have tried and worked pretty good: Mei, Mercy, Reinhardt, Lucio

The ones I tried and didn't work with a controller: Soldier 76, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Tracer

--
Do you guys have any recommendation of Heroes that will also be quite playable with a controller? (no I am not switching to keyboard and mouse)
Winston, symmetra.

Blizzard

Banned
It's not based on time, it's a function the ratio of some number of recent games played vs left.
I've never left a game before, and I got it with no warning or notification after that single game had a disconnect due to servers earlier. :( I even tried reconnecting once or twice but still had huge lag and was kicked.

I then had leaver penalty for 2 straight games once the servers were back, so I don't know what ratio will be involved.

At least I had one good D.Va game despite the leaver penalty. Running out of time on the final payload point, I ulted to clear, killed 2-3 with my pistol, got my mech back, flew almost straight up to dodge 2 ults, ran back to the payload, and ninja capped it with 2-3 people nearby. I got 3 golds and 1 silver medal.

Of course, the POTG was a random Genji ult cancel or something. :p Even the Genji was asking why they got it.

Ugh. Finally got kicked. Had a fantastic last game. Offense on Hanamura, used Mei's ice wall to get our whole team through the window in the first choke. Pushed all the way around on to the point, bypassing their whole team's setup. Ez.

The responses aren't mutually exclusive. I can label my team mates as trash and evaluate what I myself, did wrong, at the same time. I always try and get better, but in fairness, I'm the guy picking last so that I can fit the team comp, not the guy selecting our teams second Widow Maker, so I think it's reasonable to place a greater proportion of blame on certain players.

It's easy to suggest it's simply differed responsibility, but there are instances when it's clear that they are not helping. I'm not sure what their intentions are, but it seems common that they do not align with us attaining a positive match outcome. That's the difference between a lot of players. It's not their ability that's screwing your team over, it's the fact their mindset, they do not care about match outcome, they just want to play x character because it's the character that they usually play or especially like playing.

I can't help shift the feeling that if that's your mindset, if you just want to do your thing and have fun with your game doing so, then this isn't the game for you. The way that it's been built creates a huge dependency on thoughtful interplay between teammates, and if you're not accommodating that with your decision making, then you absolutely deserve a large portion of the blame.

That isn't to say that I am faultless. If my selection doesn't fit the team comp, suggest an alternative, if I could have done something better in some way you think I might not have seen, then tell me. I'm always willing to work together to achieve our mutual goals, and ultimately it's not the fact that we lose that bugs me, it's the fact that many of these players and I don't share those goals. If we give it our best and lose then we have the opportunity to learn from the experience as players, but if we don't I feel like there's a lower capacity for that. I'm forced to adapt into playing with a team that don't want to play together, using a playstyle that isn't consistent with a high level of play, and is ultimately useless. For instance, in that Numbali game I mentioned I switched from Reinhart to Mercy so that we had a support, but I had no tank to support and had to dart between 5 players with their own agenda. Regardless of how I played in that scenario, most of it didn't help me develop as a player, the strategies I was forced to adopt to adapt to this uncoordinated team aren't consistent with what I would need to do to play Mercy effectively within a decent team, therefore their uselessness degraded the match quantity both in terms of its outcome, and in terms of its value when seeking to develop as a player.

I'm not saying he can't be beaten? Just that his long range precision is way better than it should be.

it's magnified on console because of how terrible the aiming mechanics are. the difference in trying to stay on target with someone like mccree vs solider 76 is ridiculous. he is truly a crutch for bad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom