• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

Seagull and his team (Luminosity) playing a tournament right now against Cloud9, very high level play from everybody, in fact Seagull has been kept at bay and dominated several times.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1FP0MoiAo&feature=live-chat-promo

God's McCree is constantly dominating Seagull's Genji.

Watching from the beginning (nice feature) and seeing all these double lucio, winston, mcree and tracer teams on KOTH makes me think Blizzard are going to limit heroes to one in competitive mode because there's no way they like only 8 heroes being viable for tournament play. Atleast with a 1 hero limit you'll be forced to use others.

benzopil

I don't understand why people run away from me when I'm ulting as Zenyatta. I simply don't understand. Terrible morning today, 6 losses in a row. Everyone in my teams decides that he's able to kill all 6 enemies solo.

phant0m

Torbjørn feels so OP in pubs on console. Have 78% wins with him, and im not a very good player...

Almost feels like i can hold a choke point by myself with him.

Key to Torbjorn is putting the turret somewhere NOT likely to be in an attacker's direct line of fire. I like using verticality and putting it off to the side right behind a choke point/door to achieve this. Same with Symmetra's.

Ugh, this is a worryingly good point. I went in a match yesterday (I'm level 22) and chose Tracer immediately. Then a level 30 person chooses Tracer. Ok, fair enough, I'll bow to experience. You go her and I'll switch to Genji. Then a level 12 guy enters and chooses Genji. Seriously? I sat on him for a few seconds in case the other guy would notice and switch, nope, change again for me.

I dunno if it would do any good, but if they're going to let people stack heroes, it'd maybe be nice if there was a larger, central warning on the team screen saying SOMEONE IN YOUR TEAM HAS ALREADY SELECTED THAT HERO. PLEASE CONSIDER SWITCHING. Or make them confirm y/n that they're aware but still want to double up on a hero.

???

What are you even talking about? People are aware of what hero you've selected; they aren't blind. Why do you think you can only have one of each hero? Key dev even said in the latest update video that he thinks it's alright "when people play 4 Meis and 2 Lucios in quick play", because you're meant to have fun. If I see someone with Tracer and I also want to play Tracer that round, then I pick Tracer. Besides, having doubles is extremely common in the grand finals of pro tournaments. Double-Tracer, for example, is very common.

Just make sure to counter-pick/hero-switch when needed, and don't worry about selecting doubles.

Watching from the beginning (nice feature) and seeing all these double lucio, winston, mcree and tracer teams on KOTH makes me think Blizzard are going to limit heroes to one in competitive mode because there's no way they like only 8 heroes being viable for tournament play. Atleast with a 1 hero limit you'll be forced to use others.

There was debate somewhere I remember where people came to the conclusion that limiting to 1 character forces people to play with less picked/viable heroes while stacking heroes allows for more strategy and counter strategies, Blizzard has to decide what to do.

I just saw Bastion on top of the payload being protected by 2 Reinhardts, and Cloud9 adjusted to it and took them down, I kind of love this crazy strategies and counters.

Repo Man

I really wanna try some other heroes as I tend to "main" Reinhardt and Mercy but almost every time I pick something else the team doesn't pick any tanks or supports and its downhill from there unless I swap. Not the end of the world since I love both heroes but still, would be nice to gain more experience with the others. Its like the days of being back in my old WoW guild again where whenever someone needed a tank or heals for a dungeon it was always the same guys doing those roles but if the eternal tanks wanted a breath of fresh air and go with a dps character, suddenly no one wanted to know you.

I might just stick to my guns and next time choose personal enjoyment over team play no matter what happens. Problem is that having a good game, win or lose is also a big part of my personal enjoyment lol

Blues1990

What's Winston's favorite tactic? Guerrilla warfare.

In addition, the only way to stop Winston from charging is to take away his credit card!

(Okay, I'll stop with the bad gorilla jokes.)

I'm wondering with what I should do to get better with Junkrat? Aside from spamming his grenade launcher all over the place and praying that I can get a kill or two with his trap/landmine combo, what else should I know when playing as the wiry Australian Acolyte stand-in?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
13 kill streak on Pharah on PL. Wipe the entire team on the first CP.

Junkrat ult on 3 people gets POTG

In addition, the only way to stop Winston from charging is to take away his credit card!

(Okay, I'll stop with the bad gorilla jokes.)

I'm wondering with what I should do to get better with Junkrat? Aside from spamming his grenade launcher all over the place and praying that I can get a kill or two, what else should I know when playing as the wiry Australian Acolyte stand-in?

If you don't know, you can kill people with your concussive grenade, especially Farrah's or if you need to reload.

Key to Torbjorn is putting the turret somewhere NOT likely to be in an attacker's direct line of fire. I like using verticality and putting it off to the side right behind a choke point/door to achieve this. Same with Symmetra's.

This + also using Tjorb's rivet gun offensively, instead of staying in the Engineer in TF2 mindset where you need to partially babysit your turret.

I frequently leave my turret. If it goes down, whatever. I get scrap from it. The only downtime is how long it takes to get it back to Level 2, which isn't that bad.

Annnnd, stream's down.

R0ckman

There was debate somewhere I remember where people came to the conclusion that limiting to 1 character forces people to play with less picked/viable heroes while stacking heroes allows for more strategy and counter strategies, Blizzard has to decide what to do.

I just saw Bastion on top of the payload being protected by 2 Reinhardts, and Cloud9 adjusted to it and took them down, I kind of love this crazy strategies and counters.

I saw that and it was a JOKE to counter. I was on fire most of the match because of that, I came in as Pharah while my team distracted them and shot a knock back rocket in an area where it would knock the Reins off them blasted the Bastion to bits, after that I basically attack the Bastion with extreme prejiduce to prevent him from getting back on the payload.

LiK

A Torb can sneeze in Ult form and automatically get POTG. I watched a POTG where a Torb basically died in his entire POTG while waiting to respawn while his turret killed guys.

Hybris

Fyi this isn't live. This is a rebroadcasted beta tournament. Tournaments have been experimenting with one hero limit lately.

Rize_21

A Torb can sneeze in Ult form and automatically get POTG. I watched a POTG where a Torb basically died in his entire POTG while waiting to respawn while his turret killed guys.

Now that is disgusting, I tell you what, a true and fair Torb would 1) Molten core obviously 2) spray wherever he pleases 3) hammer it for good measure.
It requires some intensive concentration to anticipate the POTG, but it's worth it,that's the main reason I pick him btw...

Whats worse? Doing really well but not getting the POTG? Or doing really well, getting POTG and then getting no love in the voting at the end?

Last night I had a 27 person killstreak with Torbjorn (not just turret kills), had POTG and then got 1 vote post game. The salt is real.

It's not a live stream, this is a rebroadcast.

Well, shit.

Whats worse? Doing really well but not getting the POTG? Or doing really well, getting POTG and then getting no love in the voting at the end?

Last night I had a 27 person killstreak with Torbjorn (not just turret kills), had POTG and then got 1 vote post game. The salt is real.

Tjorb's reputation as a noob stomper undermines when he's played really well.

He can be a game changer, for sure. And a really well played Tjorb can make it feel like there are 2 of him on the field.

R0ckman

A Hanzo player in my game said I was a bad player because I was jumping around as Winston while attacking him to make it harder to hit me? Was this salt? Or is jumping not as effective as I'm thinking? I usually always use it and it gives characters that have to aim a lot of trouble from what I've seen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean you have no one to blame but yourself really.

LiK

Torb POTGs are too common and they always get a lot of kills so people will barely vote for them unless you did some amazing kills in your POTG.

A Hanzo player in my game said I was a bad player because I was jumping around as Winston while attacking him to make it harder to hit me? Was this salt? Or is jumping not as effective as I'm thinking? I usually always use it and it gives characters that have to aim a lot of trouble from what I've seen.
He just wants you to get killed by his arrow. Fall for his trap. Just walk up to him and ask him if he wants to kill you. then emote the eating peanut butter

LiK

Just salt. if he can't kill you, then you're playing him right.

There's not much air control (right? It's been a few hours since I've played and I can't remember...), so it would make it easier for him to hit you theoretically. Might stop some headshots though, so I dunno that it's actually a bad strategy. On the flip side, a Hanzo stopping to shoot will be making himself immensely vulnerable to your movement. Reallly, the sort of Hanzo that could reliably headshot you during a melee would've dropped you before you reached him, or not been in that position to begin with.

Personally I'd jump just to keep them guessing on my leap use.

Just remember that none of the snipers or supports stand any chance in an even fight at full health. The gorilla always wins. I don't think it's actually mathematically possible for Winston to lose, damage-wise. (Unless you lose track of them somehow.)

Hybris

At least on KB&M, it's much easier to hit a jumping player than one that is AD spamming. The instant you leave the ground, they can predict your movement until you land. That said, Winston is a huge target, and at close range neither method will be very effective.

LiK

I've stopped playing as Torb unless I'm tired. He's just too boring to play, imo. Turret does most of the work. If I play as Defense on some maps now, I go Symmetra cuz she's more fun overall.

I've stopped playing as Torb unless I'm tired. He's just too boring to play, imo. Turret does most of the work. If I play as Defense on some maps now, I go Symmetra cuz she's more fun overall.

Toblerone's weapon is fearsome, though. It is an amazing weapon to pepper chokepoints with, and no slouch in a close-quarters fight, either. It is far from the last resourt kind of weapons Engineer-types usually have.

LiK

Toblerone's weapon is fearsome, though. It is an amazing weapon to pepper chokepoints with, and no slouch in a close-quarters fight, either. It is far from the last resourt kind of weapons Engineer-types usually have.

Oh I know, which makes playing as Torb a pretty passive experience for me.

jeemer

What are you even talking about? People are aware of what hero you've selected; they aren't blind. Why do you think you can only have one of each hero?

Wait, what? Where did I say you should only be allowed one of each hero? Even in the post you directly quoted I mentioned there should be additional warnings specifically for stacking the same hero. I didn't say it should be disallowed, but I wouldn't be against it.

I don't think people are always aware. I'm well aware they have the ability to check their team composition, but I think people often select their character and start browsing online or sit picking their nose until the game starts. At least I hope this is what what happens since I've been part of so many teams with terribly unbalanced composition. What I'm suggesting is that it should be discouraged, particularly in quick play during the early life of the game imo.

I feel like being able to double up (or more) on characters in the same team makes things less interesting. For example, I'm an mvc fan and I'm glad you couldn't do it (without exploits anyway) there. I think it makes sense here too. Citing current competitive use of double tracers etc doesn't really do much to address what I mentioned. Of course it's going to be used in competitive play if it's not an exploit and it works well with an organised team, people want to win. That doesn't mean that it should necessarily be encouraged going forwards, particularly not in pubs.

Like that team of 6 winstons in this thread. That's a legit win for them. I just think new players seeing things like that will put zero stock in team composition, which could hurt the game going forwards. I mean it must have been flashing up no offense heroes / no defence heroes / no support heroes / too many tanks, and they must have just not cared, so maybe no amount of warnings will make people care. I just feel like character stacking in particular should at least be called out in some way to discourage it.

I'm just spitballing here because imo in the short term I think it's teaching new players that team composition doesn't really matter too much. If the devs intend it to stay like this, then fair enough. I just think that would be a shame because I think it's in matches between diverse teams that this game really shines.

Nothing but lob-sided teams, I feel like giving the game a break until ranked.

I expected better from blizzard matchmaking tbh, such a big company with a lot of talent can't even get that right it seems.

Hex

Banned
As someone who plays Torb a lot, his turret has too much health.

I think my only real problem is how fast he can build a new one when one is blown up.
Because the cool down goes off of creation, by the time a turret is down he can instantly start throwing down another.
If there was a cool down when a turret was destroyed it would work better.
Everything else is just fine (though 360 instant eyeball tracking and shooting also is a bit irritatting.)

Okay, favorite and least favorite maps, and why:

Favorite: King's Row
The opening point makes for incredible battles. There's a chokepoint but there are ways to bypass it using mobile characters. The cinema to the side is my haven when I play Roadhog; it's a hook-ers dream. Once the payload is in play, the roads are frequently long and narrow, perfect for people with good aim but full of side streets for flankers.

Lease favorite: Nepal Shrine or Village (but I absolutely love Sanctum)
It's just a cluster. More often than not, whoever captures first keeps it. There are multiple layers off to each side of each map, but instead of furthering the action of the game, all this does is distract your bad teammates from actually getting on the point to capture. It's too Ult-centric for my taste. The best games are when you get to play Tracer and just destroy them as they return from spawn. Beyond that, skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom