• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hope they restrict the number of heroes in competitive play, I don't want to see this again.

ClRR7sLUYAAW-iF.jpg
Should've rolled Zarya.

tw1164

Ugh, why don't people kill the Mercy first I don't think there's anything at drives me crazier then when people kill everyone else but the mercy and she res everyone.

madspooky

Banned
Ugh, why don't people kill the Mercy first I don't think there's anything at drives me crazier then when people kill everyone else but the mercy and she res everyone.

Because a good Mercy stays in the backline and it's difficult to do so without suiciding?

DrArchon

Okay, favorite and least favorite maps, and why:

Favorite: Ilios: Well
Ilios is probably my favorite KotH map, but I have to give extra praise to Well. The point is just open enough to not be a complete clusterfuck, but not so open as to be impossible to hold down on the defense. There's at least 3 ways to enter the point from either side so there are plenty of smaller encounters in the side corridors. Plus, the well in the middle is awesome! Everyone circling around it to keep their enemies on the other side, or pushing/pulling people into it for easy kills. Just a great map.

Least Favorite: Temple of Anubis
Ugh, fuck taking point B with randoms. It's so easy to hide a Bastion or a Torb turret in one of those little corners on the point and just lay waste to everyone that tries to take it. You need multiple coordinated ults to break through the enemy defenses there it seems like, but all the enemy needs is one good ult to push the whole attacking team back. And the defense spawns so close to the point!

Indignate

I just think new players seeing things like that will put zero stock in team composition, which could hurt the game going forwards.

I'm just spitballing here because imo in the short term I think it's teaching new players that team composition doesn't really matter too much.

If people are getting beat by teams that are stacking one hero and that causes them to think that team comp doesn't matter, then I don't know how you're going to convince them that it does regardless.

Favorite: Ilios: Well
Ilios is probably my favorite KotH map, but I have to give extra praise to Well. The point is just open enough to not be a complete clusterfuck, but not so open as to be impossible to hold down on the defense. There's at least 3 ways to enter the point from either side so there are plenty of smaller encounters in the side corridors. Plus, the well in the middle is awesome! Everyone circling around it to keep their enemies on the other side, or pushing/pulling people into it for easy kills. Just a great map.

Had a game this weekend with 2 Lucios on the other team, they were jumping into the well and wall riding around inside for long stretches of time before jumping back out. It was hilarious!

I was thinking about how when using Zenyatta as a sole support is brought up people claim that they sometimes feel like they should be Mercy or Lucio which is understandable but when thinking through my own experiences my highest loss rate is with Mercy and I perform soooo much better with ol' Zenny.

Makes me think that sometimes being mercy promotes some players to actively play worse/stupider under the impression that the heal stream will always be there for them and you spend a lot of time constantly topping up reckless players sponging up damage.
As Zenyatta I can do decent healing from range while debuffing and assisting in damage and I feel like a much stronger support as a whole even if i'm having to juggle harmony orbs in a "wait for your turn" manner, in turn this may stop some players from just charging in thinking they're invincible.

As for Lucio, well I just find him horribly dull to play, I think he's the best support on the whole for keeping everyone alive but ehhhhhh, I want to enjoy myself somewhat when I'm playing this game.

Long story shot, if I choose the buddha bot as the sole healer, deal with it, you don't want me as Mercy.

Sometimes reaching the Mercy can be a bit of a gauntlet if the mercy player is smart about hiding themselves behind heroes, otherwise yeah I know what you mean, should be the flankers first port of call.
I will always try to target them first when I'm D-Va or Winston.

R0ckman

There's not much air control (right? It's been a few hours since I've played and I can't remember...), so it would make it easier for him to hit you theoretically. Might stop some headshots though, so I dunno that it's actually a bad strategy. On the flip side, a Hanzo stopping to shoot will be making himself immensely vulnerable to your movement. Reallly, the sort of Hanzo that could reliably headshot you during a melee would've dropped you before you reached him, or not been in that position to begin with.

Personally I'd jump just to keep them guessing on my leap use.

Just remember that none of the snipers or supports stand any chance in an even fight at full health. The gorilla always wins. I don't think it's actually mathematically possible for Winston to lose, damage-wise. (Unless you lose track of them somehow.)

The keep them guessing on my next leap is usually why I do it. I also rely on the fact that most people panic when their health is draining so they are mostly trying to back up off of you to get shots and survive rather than calmly dealing with you.

jeemer

If people are getting beat by teams that are stacking one hero and that causes them to think that team comp doesn't matter, then I don't know how you're going to convince them that it does regardless.

I was more thinking of the last person plopped into a 5 man team of winstons going "hah, they're all winston, i'll go him too!" and then at the end thinking "lol we actually won, team composition doesn't mean shit!" rather than the losing team. With an additional warning/callout it might(?) not have come to this.

Then again I would have hoped it would be fairly obvious to a team losing to 6 winstons that they likely need to make an alteration to their own team comp, since they're obviously missing something.

I wanted to start looking at my stats, but there are several Overwatch stat-tracking sites. What's the generally best-received one to use?
Master Overwatch has the nicest (cleanest) design and seems to get the most feature updates.

Also, I don't like that Watcher.gg factors defensive assists from supports into its KDA.

Nothing but lob-sided teams, I feel like giving the game a break until ranked.

I expected better from blizzard matchmaking tbh, such a big company with a lot of talent can't even get that right it seems.
I think you're trivializing the problem. How do you account for people that predominantly play a single hero but decide to use something else they're terrible at? How do you account for some people just having really good games where their aim is on point and others having an off game? How do you account for team comps (we all know how stubborn people can be so beginning team comps probably decide more than they should)? There are a LOT of factors at play here.

Mupod

I was thinking about how when using Zenyatta as a sole support is brought up people claim that they sometimes feel like they should be Mercy or Lucio which is understandable but when thinking through my own experiences my highest loss rate is with Mercy and I perform soooo much better with ol' Zenny.

Makes me think that sometimes being mercy promotes some players to actively play worse/stupider under the impression that the heal stream will always be there for them and you spend a lot of time constantly topping up reckless players sponging up damage.
As Zenyatta I can do decent healing from range while debuffing and assisting in damage and I feel like a much stronger support as a whole even if i'm having to juggle harmony orbs in a "wait for your turn" manner, in turn this may stop some players from just charging in thinking they're invincible.

As for Lucio, well I just find him horribly dull to play, I think he's the best support on the whole for keeping everyone alive but ehhhhhh, I want to enjoy myself somewhat when I'm playing this game.

Long story shot, if I choose the buddha bot as the sole healer, deal with it, you don't want me as Mercy.

Sometimes reaching the Mercy can be a bit of a gauntlet if the mercy player is smart about hiding themselves behind heroes, otherwise yeah I know what you mean, should be the flankers first port of call.
I will always try to target them first when I'm D-Va or Winston.

If I'm forced to play a support I generally will pick Zenyatta. I only play Lucio on KOTH and often just pick him first anyways (knocking people off the map is fun). But Mercy with randoms is not a fun experience. My win rate on Zen is one of my highest as well, which is funny because even my friends bitch when I pick him.

I do have some criteria before I use him, generally either a Reinhardt on offense or a Torb/Symmetra on defense. But I'm quite capable of running him as a solo support. Like I don't mind playing support characters but I NEED to have some kind of offense. I was the same way in WoW - I would heal people as a druid but I always used some kind of hybrid spec to do damage if I had to.

I get very frustrated trying to play a healer with people who simply can't prioritize targets. I end up being the mercy/turret/bastion killer whenever I play a support which is kind of sad. But Zenyatta with a Reinhardt in front of him is better at that than you might think.

Reinhardt/Lucio/Zenyatta is actually an amazing combo but most of the time I try to run dual support, the other support will switch off randomly at some point. The few times I've successfully convinced my team to run that composition we dominated. Lucio's single target healing isn't great and Zenyatta can't keep a group up, but between the two of them there's lots to go around. So you have a speed boosted, constantly topped-off team with discord orbs flying out everywhere.

DrArchon

lvl 39 and my fifth legendary: money.

I'd kill for a legendary gold drop. That's way better than getting some legendary for a character you'll never play, or God forbid a legendary for a character that you already have a legendary for that you like better. At least that 500 gold goes a long way towards getting a costume that you know you want.

Sou Da

I've gotten 3 legendary moneys in a row recently. Kinda annoying.

I watched Maximilian and his friends play OW last night and Simmons got Raptorion, a legendary d.va and an epic d.va out of one box offscreeen.

It was legit too, showed up in the next match with the skins. 8/10 I was mad.

I'd kill for a legendary gold drop. That's way better than getting some legendary for a character you'll never play, or God forbid a legendary for a character that you already have a legendary for that you like better. At least that 500 gold goes a long way towards getting a costume that you know you want.

True, I want the white and gold skin for Sym. I'd feel like shit if I got one of her lame legendaries.

abundant

I was more thinking of the last person plopped into a 5 man team of winstons going "hah, they're all winston, i'll go him too!" and then at the end thinking "lol we actually won, team composition doesn't mean shit!" rather than the losing team. With an additional warning/callout it might(?) not have come to this.

Then again I would have hoped it would be fairly obvious to a team losing to 6 winstons that they likely need to make an alteration to their own team comp, since they're obviously missing something.

Losing to an all Winston team is straight up embarrassing. He's one of the easiest characters to counter. Going multiple Bastions or Reapers would destroy that team comp with ease.

Roland1979

Is the title a reference to Jim Sterling's video about all the boxes he opened?

mei is so frustrating and funny. having a huge wall of ice appear right infront of you just messes with you. i haven't tried playing as her yet but i imagine it will be so much fun.

Mei is realy fun to play with but playing against a good Mei player can be frustrating at times lol.

Mupod

Symmetra is the only character where I like her 75g skins better than any others. I had 500g so I bought Saffron, a highlight intro and a win pose for her since I was still running default. And my last 10 Symmetra games, I'd gotten POTG in almost all.

Of course my next loot box had 500g. Really though, I think I should just start filling out my poses/intros for characters since I don't care about skins all that much anyways. Coming up on my prestige now too.

Pilgrimzero

Defending Hanamura. We lost in like 2 minutes. I have no idea what the hell my teammates were doing but they weren't defending.

I as Torb was alone at point A. I watched Symm not put up any turrets and just walk out the gate.

Then just me and Mercy at point B.

Opposing team literally walked to both areas with no problems.

Once again glad I don't use a mic.

R0ckman

Defending Hanamura. We lost in like 2 minutes. I have no idea what the hell my teammates were doing but they weren't defending.

I as Torb was alone at point A. I watched Symm not put up any turrets and just walk out the gate.

MMR working as intended.

Roland1979

They weren't playing the objective. If they cap A then rush B it can be over very quickly.

If I'm forced to play a support I generally will pick Zenyatta. I only play Lucio on KOTH and often just pick him first anyways (knocking people off the map is fun). But Mercy with randoms is not a fun experience. My win rate on Zen is one of my highest as well, which is funny because even my friends bitch when I pick him.

I do have some criteria before I use him, generally either a Reinhardt on offense or a Torb/Symmetra on defense. But I'm quite capable of running him as a solo support. Like I don't mind playing support characters but I NEED to have some kind of offense. I was the same way in WoW - I would heal people as a druid but I always used some kind of hybrid spec to do damage if I had to.

I get very frustrated trying to play a healer with people who simply can't prioritize targets. I end up being the mercy/turret/bastion killer whenever I play a support which is kind of sad. But Zenyatta with a Reinhardt in front of him is better at that than you might think.

Reinhardt/Lucio/Zenyatta is actually an amazing combo but most of the time I try to run dual support, the other support will switch off randomly at some point. The few times I've successfully convinced my team to run that composition we dominated. Lucio's single target healing isn't great and Zenyatta can't keep a group up, but between the two of them there's lots to go around. So you have a speed boosted, constantly topped-off team with discord orbs flying out everywhere.
Support from Rein and extra health from Sym or Torb makes a huge difference.
Not quite as prevalent as PharMercy love but ZenHardt is a bromance that should be launching many strange shipping comics.

Dirtbag

any console players messed with genji's controls at all?

wanna put jump at L2 but dunno where to put L2

Jump on L3 for all characters is pretty solid. Then turn on Auto-climb.

The only player I have L2 mapped to jump is Lucio since wall riding with L3 is weird
I just put his secondary attack on L3

CoLaN

Honestly, i feel like they made huge hitboxes just to level the playfield, but its starting to be annoying.

Also, considering that the game lets you leave the match without counting it as a loss (as long as you are not under penalty), but will register the loss even if you joined at 1 minute from the Defeat screen... W/L ratio loses a lot of its meaning.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, just ran into the most toxic team ever. You know how there's usually one idiot on a team and the rest of his friends are hiding in the background ashamed of him? Well this team was just full of idiots all spamming insults at the end of the match, it was a super close 2 - 1 game and we didn't say a word to them. Oh well, easy reports and blocks I guess.

Mupod

Holy shit, just ran into the most toxic team ever. You know how there's usually one idiot on a team and the rest of his friends are hiding in the background ashamed of him? Well this team was just full of idiots all spamming insults at the end of the match, it was a super close 2 - 1 game and we didn't say a word to them. Oh well, easy reports and blocks I guess.

I entered a match like this where apparently the team I joined had just lost.

I didn't say a word, just went on one of my most dominant Pharah games ever. I think that's where I first got my 20 kill streak achievement. Felt nice.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
After 30 or so hours, I have settled on Pharah as my go-to character on nearly any map (when I am not doing support or Torb). Her mobility is just too much fun. Putting a rocket into the face of "snipers" when they don't see it coming will never get old, nor will blowing them off the map with my alt rocket.

Pratfall

there will still be lopsided games in ranked. you will still go on long losing streaks in ranked. there will still be people playing one single hero in ranked. ranked won't save you from believing that you are the best and everyone else is the worst. you will just blame the skill ranking system for putting you in the wrong bracket.

dont get your hopes up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really want to enjoy playing as Pharah but I find it to hard to hit people with her rockets most of the times. Even if I try to predict where people will walk by the time the rockets reach them, they suddenly move somewhere else and I end up wasting more than half of my rockets. :( I might be lucky enough to hit someone 2 or 3 times, but that isn't enough to kill them.

Azoor

I really want to enjoy playing as Pharah but I find it to hard to hit people with her rockets most of the times. Even if I try to predict where people will walk by the time the rockets reach them, they suddenly move somewhere else and I end up wasting more than half of my rockets. :(

Don't try to get direct hits, hit the ground they're on or the ground they ,might walk to.

scoobs

Is there any way to check your match history? I played for about 5 hours last night and I think I won a single game. What is this matchmaking?

noticing some framerate drops. the beta ran flawlessly for me on my PC. they aren't huge drops. i've had to turn down my settings anyway because this game makes my card very hot and noisey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom