• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not like I yell at people for picking Hanzo. I just roll with it usually. It's just comical to me that at this point he's pretty much featured in all of my games.

I've figured out why I hate Mei:

I primarily play Mercy. I often find myself teamed up with a player, flying around the map kicking ass. Then we come across Mei. We'll both be slowed by her, and a good Mei player will usually focus on me. My teammate will fuck off because they were being slowed by Mei, leaving me to die in my icy grave.

kromeo

His wallhack arrow is always useful to me so I like a Hanzo pick.

How would you know it's a shit pick from the start? There are some dudes who do well as Hanzo.

The Hanzo hate makes no sense to me.

I think its the fact that every level, attack or defence someone always picks him the second the character screen comes up. He doesn't annoy me much though, not sure what people's problem with Hanzos on the enemy team is

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How would you know it's a shit pick from the start? There are some dudes who do well as Hanzo.

The Hanzo hate makes no sense to me.

Because think of how much better their 'pro Hanzo' would be if they switched to a class that's better at offense. Because if you're truly playing the game the way it's meant to be played, you should have a decent grasp on a decent selection of heroes and have ones that perform better on certain maps of certain game types than others.

I don't care if you're XxMLGEngineer420xX when the other team is using all soldiers, you switch.
It's not like I yell at people for picking Hanzo. I just roll with it usually. It's just comical to me that at this point he's pretty much featured in all of my games.

I just imagine some 13 year old as soon as the game match starts up spamming either where the Hanzo or Genji icon is when it loads in.

LiK

I primarily play Mercy. I often find myself teamed up with a player, flying around the map kicking ass. Then we come across Mei. We'll both be slowed by her, and a good Mei player will usually focus on me. My teammate will fuck off because they were being slowed by Mei, leaving me to die in my icy grave.

or if you see Mei, piss off and get to a teammate who's further away and let that teammate deal with Mei's icy fingers.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

A good Mei can be a pain in the ass to deal with. But a bad Mei almost seems to help the other team with their ill advised ice walls.

Antiwhippy

or if you see Mei, piss off and get to a teammate who's further away and let that teammate deal with Mei's icy fingers.

I usually just pick mercy off with icicle from medium range.

Yep, you're right and I will start doing this. See, my thinking before was that the two of us could easily take a lone Mei if we wanted to, but my teammates would rather run away.
I usually just pick mercy off with icicle from medium range.

I rarely ever die to a Mei when I'm unfrozen.

I think its the fact that every level, attack or defence someone always picks him the second the character screen comes up. He doesn't annoy me much though, not sure what people's problem with Hanzos on the enemy team is

He is picked even if there is already a sniper in the team--most likely a more appropriate sniper for that map.

Muh main Hanzo MLG no scope charged arrow shot let the phallus consume you

Kamion

Man playing Mercy in pubs is such a gamble. Sometimes it works out and people keep you alive / stay LoS so I can jump to them to heal them, sometimes people don't group up at all and Mercy is quite useless then because if the person I'm following dies, I'm dead, too.

I love playing Mercy when it works ;_;

Hanzo is super fun to play but I haven't played him in weeks because unless you are incredible with him, it's hard to justify the pick over some other hero.

LiK

Yep, you're right and I will start doing this. See, my thinking before was that the two of us could easily take a lone Mei if we wanted to, but my teammates would rather run away.

yea, can't be a miracle worker. just gotta go with whoever else in the field who won't get you killed. some teammates really are clueless in keeping a Mercy protected.

Then you've played some bad Meis then. :p

I'm sure I get hit by Mei more than I realize, but her rate of fire means she's usually not getting the last hit in so my killcam doesn't show her.

yea, can't be a miracle worker. just gotta go with whoever else in the field who won't get you killed. some teammates really are clueless in keeping a Mercy protected.

Ugh, yeah. It's not like Mercy's vocal cues are subtle! Pubs just ignore them.

Ducktail

I always play this with my cousin. Our new strategy for when 2 players pick Hanzo or Widow: We pick them too, wondering if they will realize how stupid that is and change. (On ps4)

Sometimes it doesn't work though, and we'll have to play a whole game with this beautiful 4 sniper formation. (DEFEAT)

Man playing Mercy in pubs is such a gamble. Sometimes it works out and people keep you alive / stay LoS so I can jump to them to heal them, sometimes people don't group up at all and Mercy is quite useless then because if the person I'm following dies, I'm dead, too.

Yep. You will most likely switch to Lucio because no one sticks around to get healed/buffed or bother protecting you.

pizzasqueeze

Neo Member
my problem with snipers is they are rarely helping push the objective. A good sniper will jump on the payload or whatever at the opportune time, but most times I feel like the sniper is contributing very little to the overall game. You can get 3 headshots in a row, but if no one else is around to push the point, it's basically worthless to the outcome.

Lol I play a lot of Mercy and I'm with you on that! I'll switch off Mercy or even Lucio some times as my teammates are doing fuck-all to protect me and then people get salty "where's our healer?!" "Oh I fucking changed because nobody was backing me up when I was constantly being targeted by the other team!" Lol christ

MUnited83

For you.
my problem with snipers is they are rarely helping push the objective. A good sniper will jump on the payload or whatever at the opportune time, but most times I feel like the sniper is contributing very little to the overall game. You can get 3 headshots in a row, but if no one else is around to push the point, it's basically worthless to the outcome.

if no one else is around to push the point then the sniper is playing with a shit team to begin with though.

Antiwhippy

Also damn, had a really sick zenyatta play near the end of attack numbani. Was approaching the end and everyone on my team is pushing it, but they all died except for me and one soldier, but i manage to do a triple kill just using discord and attack to clear the path for the win.

And potg goes to the enemy soldier hiding in a corner and then pressing q. I had 100 score kills in that push too. :(

I think friendly Meis kill me more often than enemy Meis, lol.
Had to switch off McCree/Soldier/Widowmaker several times yesterday because our random Mei kept blocking sightlines with walls. I'm staring down my charged barrel at a Mercy, Reaper, Roadhog, Junkrat and FWOOF ice wall! Just letting their team walk up to the payload unscathed.

Assault Hanzo is legit as fuck, though.

He provides a ton of damage, can pick off deployed Bastions and turrets, lets you see around corners and into buildings when you're pushing a payload, and his Ult is one of the best for area denial.

When I play him this way, I'm one of the pushers. I have to be up front to be effective.

If someone is on offense and sitting back trying to get kills without getting hit, the chances are they'd be doing that with any character they pick. The fact that they're on a Widow/Hanzo gives them at least a small chance of being effective.

Onemic

I really wish Zarya's alt did more damage by itself. It's amazing in a coordinated team, but pretty useless in PUBs where no one communicates.

Clawww

I'd rather have a scrubby hanzo than a scrubby widow

honestly, as long as they're giving vision around contested areas, that's good enough for me. sometimes you don't even get that, though

Tunavi

Banned
Also damn, had a really sick zenyatta play near the end of attack numbani. Was approaching the end and everyone on my team is pushing it, but they all died except for me and one soldier, but i manage to do a triple kill just using discord and attack to clear the path for the win.

And potg goes to the enemy soldier hiding in a corner and then pressing q. I had 100 score kills in that push too. :(
Was playing as tracer and got 5 kills and 1 assist in the last thirty seconds of a match and DIDNT get play of the game

Yeah, but when she works its so fulfilling. Like a few days ago we were defending on Anubis, time ticking out when the other team had a great push using a Hanzo ult and then storming in and wiped out everyone on the point but I was there to use my Ult to bring em all back and finish off the game. That felt sooooooo good.

R0ckman

I kind of feel like when a Bastion player on the opposite team refuses to switch despite melting over and over by one player in particular, he is kind of implying that even if you keep killing him, your team still sucks enough for continous use of Bastion.

I've actually only played a match where I was Bastion that causes every player on the enemy team to get off the payload and hunt me down, and I mean chase me across the map hunt me down, they do this when I'm McCree too.

But that says a lot about my team quality in these games. If over half of the enemy team can spend time off of the objective chasing you down to kill you, your team probably sucks.

Mupod

Join match
Team picks Reaper, Genji, Hanzo, Mei, S76
Leave match

I really wish Zarya's alt did more damage by itself. It's amazing in a coordinated team, but pretty useless in PUBs where no one communicates.

Far from usless, although it's extremely situational and I find myself holding on to it for way longer than I should now that I know which heroes shut it down. But when there's no Reinhardt or support with ult up, it's a free team wipe once you're at max energy. I think it's fine the way it is, it charges incredibly slowly but it's such a gamechanging ult that I can't imagine it being made stronger.

One thing I need to start doing is checking the score screen to see when Hanzo and Pharah ults are charged. Most of them will happily take that shot if it's presented.

LiK

Join match
Team picks Reaper, Genji, Hanzo, Mei, S76
Leave match

Far from usless, although it's extremely situational and I find myself holding on to it for way longer than I should now that I know which heroes shut it down. But when there's no Reinhardt or support with ult up, it's a free team wipe once you're at max energy. I think it's fine the way it is, it charges incredibly slowly but it's such a gamechanging ult that I can't imagine it being made stronger.

One thing I need to start doing is checking the score screen to see when Hanzo and Pharah ults are charged. Most of them will happily take that shot if it's presented.

Really? Leaving if they pick Reaper and Soldier as well? They're common for DPS.

Do you only play with people who pick specific characters? You must leave a lot of games.

Another Mercy issue I've noticed:

The higher level I am, the more I notice enemy teams are much more adept at handling my revives. Before, I would rez 3 players and it would throw the enemy team into chaos. More often now I find that my revives get countered pretty well, where the enemies are killing my teammates before they have the chance to do anything.

Really? Leaving if they pick Reaper and Soldier as well? They're common for DPS.

Do you only play with people who pick specific characters? You must leave a lot of games.
Yeah, that team is one healer and one tank from being great, and there's a slot open. Add a Lucio and it's a pretty decent KotH comp.

Got the game this past weekend and I've been playing it tons. I played a lot of the BETA, so I mostly knew what I was doing. As for characters, it all depends on the objective and map, but if it's possible I'll use Pharah or Symmetra. If I'm not using them, I'll try to fill in any gaps in the team.

Slurmer

Banned
Since we're talking about Mei, I recently had a Mei player throw up an ice wall so bad that it got our entire team killed and lost us the match as a result. It was so bad I couldn't even be upset; I was kind of in awe of it really.

This is why I play Lucio as my main support. Mei wants to try and get close? She can try only to get knocked back followed by me speed boosting out, and an Amp if I have to. She walls in an open space I'll just try to wall ride away.

The only time I'll consistently get killed is getting caught out in a closed space followed by a wall near one of the two doors.

Tried doing Mercy when the game came out. She is a fun hero and I enjoy playing her in a real group. However, I won't play a hero with no defense if my team is completely brain dead to the fact that the person WHOSE HEALTH BAR YOU CAN SEE HEALING YOU is dying behind you.

Got the game this past weekend and I've been playing it tons. I played a lot of the BETA, so I mostly knew what I was doing. As for characters, it all depends on the objective and map, but if it's possible I'll use Pharah or Symmetra. If I'm not using them, I'll try to fill in any gaps in the team.

Yeah, I have clear "mains" that when I can play them I play much better (Lucio, Zarya, D.Va, Junkrat, Pharah) but I'll do what needs to be done to try and eke out a win.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What's the best way to record gameplay with zero latency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom