• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittles

just had the funniest fucking thing ever happen. I'm playing as a lucio and my team's reinhardt starts to charge an enemy. at the same time i sonic blast a mei into his charge line(pretty much perpendicular to each other) and she gets pinned. they both fly off the map and i proceed to die laughing

JMZ555

Noticed someone using a map glitch on Dorado map earlier.

If Symmetra puts her laser sentrys on top of the arch way bridge on bottom corner before second check point, they shoot down through the bridge itself and can not be seen or be shot from below. the lasers go through the map itself....

Onemic

Join match
Team picks Reaper, Genji, Hanzo, Mei, S76
Leave match

Far from usless, although it's extremely situational and I find myself holding on to it for way longer than I should now that I know which heroes shut it down. But when there's no Reinhardt or support with ult up, it's a free team wipe once you're at max energy. I think it's fine the way it is, it charges incredibly slowly but it's such a gamechanging ult that I can't imagine it being made stronger.

One thing I need to start doing is checking the score screen to see when Hanzo and Pharah ults are charged. Most of them will happily take that shot if it's presented.

Im the same way. There always seems to be a Reinhardt/winston/Dva or a zen/lucio/mercy with an ult up to stop the group from taking damage when Im doing it solo. It's ridiculously situational when you're solo because so many characters can counter it.

LiK

If Symmetra puts her laser sentrys on top of the arch way bridge on bottom corner before second check point, they shoot down through the bridge itself and can not be seen or be shot from below. the lasers go through the map itself....

Well known exploit by the community. Seems Winston can knock it out.

I feel like your team is at a huge disadvantage if you don't have a sniper to counter their sniper. Only time I get annoyed with Widows/Hanzos is if they're not good at the role relative to the enemy.

Also why is the death counter green when you die more than your average? Shouldn't it be red? Right now it's implying dying a lot is good instead of bad.

Eh, could care less what people pick in pubs...at the start of the match. For me, if players refuse to change heroes when shit is clearly not working, that is when I get pissed. That phenomena seems to happen to all picks, not just the Hanzo and Genji mains.

JMZ555

Well known exploit by the community. Seems Winston can knock it out.

I was tanking so did not see from above, are the sentrys visible on top of the bridge or are they invisible once placed? like the are glitched inside bridge texture?

aravuus

Played a game or two as Reinhardt, did somewhat well I'd like to say. Managed to keep team alive on the objective for at least a bit longer than they'd managed without me, we ended up winning. I'm a bit confused about his push attack though - when am I supposed to actually use it? As a last stand when my shield dies, hoping to push at least some of the enemies away from my team?

Whales

Banned

was this not fixed in the PC patch?

The End

Played a game or two as Reinhardt, did somewhat well I'd like to say. Managed to keep team alive on the objective for at least a bit longer than they'd managed without me, we ended up winning. I'm a bit confused about his push attack though - when am I supposed to actually use it? As a last stand when my shield dies, hoping to push at least some of the enemies away from my team?

always when the other team has another reinhartdt

you must preserve your reinhardt honor

XenoRaven

I think the most annoying thing in this game for me behind the existence of Mei and McCrees who no doubt think they're amazing because they can hide in a corner and throw a flashbang is when I'm Tracer, a character designed to flank and disrupt enemy defenses, and I go in on a Hanzo and he just casually fires a random arrow the size of a log and it hits me and I die.

I enjoy this game a ton but nothing infuriates me more than 2+ snipers. Worst yet you know 90% of them can't aim for shit.

had a game where the enemy team looked poised to win the game since most of our team was dead and only our widow was alive contesting but then she randomly kills 2 other widows and we just win outright off of that defensive push.

Dragner

You are having a great day with awesome winrate?.Nice. join this game with 30 s left, ah, and if you leave theres leavers penalty. Why blizzard?.

Eh, could care less what people pick in pubs...at the start of the match. For me, if players refuse to change heroes when shit is clearly not working, that is when I get pissed. That phenomena seems to happen to all picks, not just the Hanzo and Genji mains.

One unfortunate problem is that unless you practice with lots of characters, you're not going to be good with lots of characters. But practicing with characters you're not good at will usually come at the expense of winning the actual match you're in. Say you're in a situation where you desperately need someone to snipe or heal or whatever but no one plays or is good with those heroes. Is it better for them to play poorly with the optimal hero or to play well with the non-optimal hero? People gravitate towards the things that make it more likely to win, which most of the time means picking the hero they know how to play well as opposed to the hero they don't that is the theoretical better pick.

A weird variation of this happens when people complain that someone needs to switch characters, but then have no specifics to offer whatsoever. The other player may be willing to switch but have no idea what would be 'better'. I've seen this a bunch of times where people say "X sucks on this map, play something else", and someone asks "Who would you recommend based on our lineup?" and they say "I dunno, just not X". That's not constructive, it's just whining. The hero/map/synergy metagame has not been very well internalized or figured out yet. People recognize that you need someone to deal with the turret/sniper, but which hero is ideal on this map against this comp and which player is best suited for that hero is a much harder question.

Some of this will be alleviated once competitive mode is live and quick play becomes more of a playground/practice environment. But you'll still run into issues in competitive where your team might have too many people who are skilled at damage dealers and not healing/tanking, or vice versa. In a competitive tournament, that's not a problem because teams self-organize and make sure their roster covers all the bases. But you don't have that luxury in competitive mode and you could end up with three people who are all ridiculously good at Tracer, but your team doesn't need three tracers. Problem is, they might suck at the 'role/hero' that's missing, or maybe they're way better at Roadhog than the person who's currently playing as them. But then either they play a hero they're not great with or they force the Roadhog to switch to something else, which may end up being something they're not good at.

It's a very tough problem to resolve because people tend to get good at heroes of a certain type and don't diversify, which causes problems when that position is already filled, for example, the people who only play tanks/healers or only damage dealers/flankers.

So having played Winston and now understanding his playstyle, I can honestly say...

...he still needs a buff. Just to get him more in line with other tanks' damage output. Not even a large one, just a slight buff to his gun.

His time to kill is depressingly slow. The perks of passing through shields and harming multiple enemies are good, and flanking and jumping around is so fun, but it's hard to really use your gun effectively since things take so long to kill with it. Feels like it should be more of a shield counter with its pass through effect, but you are not killing tanks with that thing, it's too weak.

It's depressing when you're spraying down low health targets and it's taking so many seconds to kill even the weakest enemies.

Reinhardt's Hammer and Pin, Zarya's fully charged cannon, Roadhog's mean shotgun, even D.va's guns outclass Winston. There just feels like so many more better options for an offensive tank honestly. And that's while loving Winston's playstyle.

Onemic

So having played Winston and now understanding his playstyle, I can honestly say...

...he still needs a buff. Just to get him more in line with other tanks' damage output. Not even a large one, just a slight buff to his gun.

His time to kill is depressingly slow. The perks of passing through shields and harming multiple enemies are good, and flanking and jumping around is so fun, but it's hard to really use your gun effectively since things take so long to kill with it. Feels like it should be more of a shield counter with its pass through effect, but you are not killing tanks with that thing, it's too weak.

It's depressing when you're spraying down low health targets and it's taking so many seconds to kill even the weakest enemies.

Reinhardt's Hammer and Pin, Zarya's fully charged cannon, Roadhog's mean shotgun, even D.va's guns outclass Winston. There just feels like so many more better options for an offensive tank honestly. And that's while loving Winston's playstyle.

It doesnt do much damage for a reason(You dont have to aim)

Mesoian

It doesnt do much damage for a reason(You dont have to aim)

It still needs a buff. If I'm chasing down a McCree and have him dead to rights for 10 seconds, that should be a kill. There's too much opportunity for enemies to escape a Winston that has laid down the perfect pounce. He should be weak against tanks, sure. But the fact that it takes SOOOO long to take out wayward assassins who don't notice him is terrible.

Even if it was just a melee buff, he needs something.

am I an asshole for using Bastion on Payload Attack?
You're not an asshole for using any hero on any point on any map.

(But unless you're doing El Presidente or springing a surprise Bastion on one choke, he's not a particularly effective attack hero. Yes, you can make almost anything work in any situation, but that doesn't make it an optimal pick.)

Winston is a great character. The problem with buffing him is that it would make Double Winston even stronger than it currently is.

He's excellent at killing characters at 200HP or less and can fuck up teams as long as you group up. He's actually a very good choice against someone like Reinhardt because his gun goes through his shield. Considering Rein is easily a top five character, that's huge. I think he's a great choice for hunting down Mercy too.

He loses to shotguns, 76, and Bastion pretty bad, but he's in a good spot. There are other characters who need buffs before they even think about touching him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom