• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybris

So having played Winston and now understanding his playstyle, I can honestly say...

...he still needs a buff. Just to get him more in line with other tanks' damage output. Not even a large one, just a slight buff to his gun.

His time to kill is depressingly slow. The perks of passing through shields and harming multiple enemies are good, and flanking and jumping around is so fun, but it's hard to really use your gun effectively since things take so long to kill with it. Feels like it should be more of a shield counter with its pass through effect, but you are not killing tanks with that thing, it's too weak.

It's depressing when you're spraying down low health targets and it's taking so many seconds to kill even the weakest enemies.

Reinhardt's Hammer and Pin, Zarya's fully charged cannon, Roadhog's mean shotgun, even D.va's guns outclass Winston. There just feels like so many more better options for an offensive tank honestly. And that's while loving Winston's playstyle.

No offense, but you are just wrong on this. Not only is 1 winston great by himself, 2 winston is completely overpowered. Two winstons doing 100 aoe dps to the enemy back line is absurd. I feel like you are discounting the fact that the gun does aoe dps. So of course it will feel weak when trying to kill single heroes... But even then, leap does 50 damage, and your gun does 50 dps, melee 30 dmg. That's a ~2.7s kill time on 200 health heroes with great consistency since you don't have to aim well to hit your target.

benzopil

Not really, Widow is a better pick than him 99% of the time.

No, he just has the issue that once you hit the skill cap on him, Widow is better in every way.
I agree. But for someone who can't snipe he's much more useful than Widow, especially on console.

I played Hanzo for first two hours on PS4 and never came back to him. And after 16 hours with Widow I don't think I'll ever will. But he's not as bad as you guys say.

psyfi

Banned
Man playing Mercy in pubs is such a gamble. Sometimes it works out and people keep you alive / stay LoS so I can jump to them to heal them, sometimes people don't group up at all and Mercy is quite useless then because if the person I'm following dies, I'm dead, too.

I love playing Mercy when it works ;_;
That's why I always just go with Lucio in pubs. You're not totally helpless if you find yourself alone.

Plum

This game is so two-sided for me.

I'd get a round where I get gold stars, kill streaks, help the team win, play the objective, etc. Then almost immediately after I get rounds where the enemy absolutely stomps our team then says "ez" at the end.

I'm almost 40 hours in and I still don't feel like I've gotten anywhere near "gud", and frankly I don't think it'll be that way at 100 hours. That's why I'll likely never step into ranked.

Onemic

It still needs a buff. If I'm chasing down a McCree and have him dead to rights for 10 seconds, that should be a kill. There's too much opportunity for enemies to escape a Winston that has laid down the perfect pounce. He should be weak against tanks, sure. But the fact that it takes SOOOO long to take out wayward assassins who don't notice him is terrible.

Even if it was just a melee buff, he needs something.

I mean, that's not your role tho. Winston is supposed to either cause chaos or kill support characters. He shouldnt be able to single handedly kill a mccree unless said mccree is low on health.

Also the thing is AOE on top of not having to aim. Making it do more damage would straight up make Winston overpowered. You'd be able to kill everyone without having to actually work for your kills like everyone else.

eek5

No offense, but you are just wrong on this. Not only is 1 winston great by himself, 2 winston is completely overpowered. Two winstons doing 100 aoe dps to the enemy back line is absurd. I feel like you are discounting the fact that the gun does aoe dps. So of course it will feel weak when trying to kill single heroes... But even then, leap does 50 damage, and your gun does 50 dps, melee 30 dmg. That's a ~2.7s kill time on 200 health heroes with great consistency since you don't have to aim well to hit your target.

Yeah, I feel like Winston is in a good place right now. I mainly win my 1v1 battles against squishy dps when I land my leap. If I miss the free 50dmg things get a bit dicey which is fine IMO. It'd be stupid if Winston could just leap into the back lines and be guaranteed to win in any 1v1 battle. On KOTH maps he can do a ton of AOE damage, zapping multiple targets and creating chaos. On linear maps he can poke and prod the back lines to disrupt and then leap back to his team to flank enemies they're engaged with and help add dps.

This game is so two-sided for me.

I'd get a round where I get gold stars, kill streaks, help the team win, play the objective, etc. Then almost immediately after I get rounds where the enemy absolutely stomps our team then says "ez" at the end.

I'm almost 40 hours in and I still don't feel like I've gotten anywhere near "gud", and frankly I don't think it'll be that way at 100 hours. That's why I'll likely never step into ranked.

gotta get those gold weapons though

peakish

Wow, I think my CPU or GPU just overheated in the game. The screen froze with a terrifying noise in my headphones and for the first time ever my case feels hot to the touch. Never had any issues before with my stress tests so this surprises me.

Maybe I shouldn't play with FPS unlocked? Heard that it's better to update faster even with a 60hz display, probably due to input lag. Or is there some other way I can solve this with?

Either way, left my team completely cold in a tough spot, feels like I abandoned them :( Was having such a fun time too with Rein and Pharah.

Edit: Set max fps to 120 in Nvidia Inspector, might that solve it?

xezuru

Once ranked/competitive starts up, do you think we'll be able to join random groups, or you have to go in with a set team?

If it was up to me, it would follow close to LoL where there's Single/Duo queue where you are only matched with other single/duos or ranked 5s completely separate.

Blizzard

Banned
If it was up to me, it would follow close to LoL where there's Single/Duo queue where you are only matched with other single/duos or ranked 5s completely separate.
The funny thing is, League got rid of that system recently. That's one of the biggest things people have been complaining about this year, since some high level people got there by playing premade, and it's possible to get matched against a team of premade 3+ when your entire team is solo. There's no longer a solo / duo option, and though Riot originally suggested they might try a solo-only queue, they ditched it.

Of course Overwatch has voice chat so coordination might be easier.

R0ckman

Yeah, I feel like Winston is in a good place right now. I mainly win my 1v1 battles against squishy dps when I land my leap. If I miss the free 50dmg things get a bit dicey which is fine IMO. It'd be stupid if Winston could just leap into the back lines and be guaranteed to win in any 1v1 battle. On KOTH maps he can do a ton of AOE damage, zapping multiple targets and creating chaos. On linear maps he can poke and prod the back lines to disrupt and then leap back to his team to flank enemies they're engaged with and help add dps.

gotta get those gold weapons though

I think he's my 3rd most played character and I'm almost garunteed a back line kill. I've only ever gone down when my team was so bad the enemy team could afford to all turn around and target me, usually I can survive a bit if they are caught off gaurd.

Sometimes you can measure how good the rest of yoyr team is by playing a good Winston, in one case I kept the enemy team from the payload for a minute, killed about two of them before I died, in my respawn time frame they were able to regroup and mow through the rest of my team -_-

Hes a great stalker tunnel vission character, a shame he doesn't appear much in pubs and pubs usually dont know how to use him.

Hybris

It's OK. Once competitive releases and every team runs double winston, people will stop saying things like "winston needs buffs" and "winston's ultimate is terrible".

You'll be able to solo matchmake for sure.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping.

I'm on PS4 and have really only played with randoms. But NO ONE uses voice chat. I'm hoping the people playing in competitive have a stronger reliance on using team chat. I'm really starting to see the holes in the game without any kind of coordination among your team.

Onemic

I think he's my 3rd most played character and I'm almost garunteed a back line kill. I've only ever gone down when my team was so bad the enemy team could afford to all turn around and target me, usually I can survive a bit if they are caught off gaurd.

Sometimes you can measure how good the rest of yoyr team is by playing a good Winston, in one case I kept the enemy team from the payload for a minute, killed about two of them before I died, in my respawn time frame they were able to regroup and mow through the rest of my team -_-

Hes a great stalker tunnel vission character, a shame he doesn't appear much in pubs and pubs usually dont know how to use him.

Yup, you know you're good and your team sucks when you die and the enemy team immediately starts making headway until you return.

adz2ka

Absolutely this. Winston is definitely a top tier character.
He's my most played character with 14 hours (of 110) and I have a win rate of 69% with him. Literally don't fear anyone other than McCree or a good Reinhart

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's kind of stupid that Symmetra's ult becomes completely useless after the first CP is taken. It's already useless on attack. It's only useful on ONE part of one game mode.

What is even the point of that? Who let that get past testing? She is the only hero like that. Give her two Ults or something. Even if it's just 'let me place three sentrys at once off CD'. Anything. Of all the game modes, her ult is only useful one one portion of one mode.

vypek

It's kind of stupid that Symmetra's ult becomes completely useless after the first CP is taken. It's already useless on attack. It's only useful on ONE part of one game mode.

What is even the point of that? Who let that get past testing? She is the only hero like that. Give her two Ults or something. Even if it's just 'let me place three sentrys at once off CD'. Anything. Of all the game modes, her ult is only useful one one portion of one mode.

Yeah, I think her ultimate needs some work as well. I'm actually not crazy about how long it takes for her turrets to come into stock as well as her ultimate not charging at all when there is a teleporter already up. If she went to 25% at least, that would be good.

LiK

I think her Teleporter should've been a third ability. Making it an Ult is pretty lame, tbh. I'd rather her Ult be similar to Torb where she gets Shield increase temporarily so she can survive longer.

Symmetra's ult is incredible. And yeah, she's a character meant for defense.

Don't see the problem with her ult, imo. Different characters are good for different modes/levels, as it should be.

Once ranked/competitive starts up, do you think we'll be able to join random groups, or you have to go in with a set team?

You'll be able to solo matchmake for sure.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping.

I'm on PS4 and have really only played with randoms. But NO ONE uses voice chat. I'm hoping the people playing in competitive have a stronger reliance on using team chat. I'm really starting to see the holes in the game without any kind of coordination among your team.

No need to hope; dev pretty much confirmed it in the latest video on the competitive mode.

I'd admit I might just not get the character. I'd actually appreciate a good playthrough example or guide, I haven't really hit too much of a stride with him. Feels like I just need some good pointers, and an idea of ideal strategy with him.

Lol Dual Winston really is mean, especially when you've got two Ult Winstons coming at you. Was once on a 5 Winston team, that actually wrecked pretty hard. Winston/Zarya is also a potent "wombo combo". Though I'd at least admit it's hard to claim any character is OP based on a good pairing with another hero. sorta just how the game works, good synergy just wrecks.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I seriously don't think I'll ever understand the arguments against hero stacking.

It's part of the game. Switching is at its core. If a team can't be beat because they have six turrets on the final point; so be it. Then your team can do the same thing next time.

EDIT: I say this as someone who is driven MAD by dual bastions, or double-tracers, or our team deciding it needs three snipers.

Zemm

People are crazy, Hanzo with a skilled player is dangerous especially since he gives a wallhack to his own team every 10 secs (can't remember exactly since I don't play him). I don't mind a widow or Hanzo (but not both) on my team when pugging as long as they're good.

Wow, I think my CPU or GPU just overheated in the game. The screen froze with a terrifying noise in my headphones and for the first time ever my case feels hot to the touch. Never had any issues before with my stress tests so this surprises me.

Maybe I shouldn't play with FPS unlocked? Heard that it's better to update faster even with a 60hz display, probably due to input lag. Or is there some other way I can solve this with?

Either way, left my team completely cold in a tough spot, feels like I abandoned them :( Was having such a fun time too with Rein and Pharah.

Edit: Set max fps to 120 in Nvidia Inspector, might that solve it?
Game runs pretty hot in general. Turn some stuff down, maybe set a custom fan curve that's more aggressive. In particular, make sure the render scaling is at 100% (sometimes it will default to higher).

Also, it's summer. Is it hot in the room you're playing in? Crank the air conditioning if you have it.

Firebrand

I prefer Hanzo over Widow because I feel Hanzo can actually play objectives. He's rarely as much of a headache as a good enemy Widow though.

Except I can't seem to put down the teleporter anywhere without Tracer/Reaper/Genji murdering ten seconds later, or the enemy capturing so I get it refunded. >_>

Zaventem

I seriously don't think I'll ever understand the arguments against hero stacking.

It's part of the game. Switching is at its core. If a team can't be beat because they have six turrets on the final point; so be it. Then your team can do the same thing next time.

EDIT: I say this as someone who is driven MAD by dual bastions, or double-tracers, or our team deciding it needs three snipers.

I think the argument AGAINST hero stacking is some heroes aren't balanced around it. I'm sure we'll see more patches in the future though.

Heel

As a dedicated Symmetra player on defense, I would prefer that she remain unchanged and quietly underutilized by the player base. Thank you, Data.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It's just that the game isn't really balanced around multiples of the same character. Sometimes multiples of the same character are greater than their individual parts in a way that is unbalanced on some maps.

Ramirez

People can play whatever they want as long as they're not sucking. There are no bad heroes. Just bad players.

It always feels like the majority of those bad players pick Hanzo/Widowmaker on console though.

It's so obvious when your team is basically 6v5. Anyone who picks those two on KOTH is an asshole and is wasting their teams time. I could count the number of legitimately great snipers I've ran into on console on two hands, sniping is really hard in this game on a pad.

I don't really mind if you start out as those guys, but I hate that the majority of people will not give up once they see it isn't working. I like to use Widowmaker, but I can usually tell on my first life if it's going to work out or not...and I switch immediately if it isn't. I'd say this is a problem across the board on console, it's similar to my post yesterday about people running two Genji's despite the Winston on the other team owning them. Frustrating as hell.

It's impossible to balance stacked heroes, and from what I've read Winston's shield was nerfed because of it? It's lame that one of his primary abilities is weak to protect against people stacking it. Fighting multiple Torb's on console is honestly one of the most miserable experiences in my FPS playing ever. There's 21 characters, TONS of variety, but people want to lock in the same 2-3 heroes and stack them? It just doesn't lead to good gameplay, and strips the game of what makes it unique and fun to me.

The problem is that there's no creative way to beat hero stacking. You simply have to stack their counters and hope it's enough. The game straight-up does not feel like it was designed to incorporate multiples of heroes running around. It just becomes a stupid counter-picking arms race and will have nothing to do with which team is more organized or had a better composition so much as who was quicker to counterpick.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Don't see the problem with her ult, imo. Different characters are good for different modes/levels, as it should be.

Her ult is literally useless after you lose the first point on defense. No other character's ult becomes useless. I don't see how you don't see the problem with that. She's a defensive character who has a completely useless ultimate past the first half of a defense game.
As a dedicated Symmetra player on defense, I would prefer that she remain unchanged and quietly underutilized by the player base. Thank you, Data.

friend heel, nobody is touching your snowflake status. her ult being better isn't going to make people suddenly start playing her.

LiK

It always feels like the majority of those bad players pick Hanzo/Widowmaker on console though.

It's so obvious when your team is basically 6v5. Anyone who picks those two on KOTH is an asshole and is wasting their teams time. I could count the number of legitimately great snipers I've ran into on console on two hands, sniping is really hard in this game on a pad.

I don't really mind if you start out as those guys, but I hate that the majority of people will not give up once they see it isn't working. I like to use Widowmaker, but I can usually tell on my first life if it's going to work out or not...and I switch immediately if it isn't. I'd say this is a problem across the board on console, it's similar to my post yesterday about people running two Genji's despite the Winston on the other team owning them. Frustrating as hell.

They don't want to get into the actual fights so yea, they're probably bad. They just wanna pick off people and ignore objectives. When I play as them, I always push even if it might get me killed. I have pretty high survivalibility as Hanzo and so-so with Widow. The next rumored hero is probably a sniper as well so I'm gonna expect the trend to continue.

abundant

I think her Teleporter should've been a third ability. Making it an Ult is pretty lame, tbh. I'd rather her Ult be similar to Torb where she gets Shield increase temporarily so she can survive longer.

Doing that would make Symm OP. An enemy teleporter being up is huge, and by making it a third ability rather than an ult, the telporter would always be up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Her ult is literally useless after you lose the first point on defense. No other character's ult becomes useless. I don't see how you don't see the problem with that. She's a defensive character who has a completely useless ultimate past the first half of a defense game.

friend heel, nobody is touching your snowflake status. her ult being better isn't going to make people suddenly start playing her.

What do you think they should do then? Add the teleport as a 3rd ability with a 5 mins cooldown and give her a new ult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom