• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

Easier to balance the game when you know for a fact there's no multiples of a hero
More diversity
More strategic. Current tournament play (and soon competitive play because team composition always trickles down and gets copied by the plebs) is all about double Lucio, McCree, Winston, Tracer, and teams don't counter it because it isn't counterable, like watch the matches from last night and double Winston will be played for the whole round because if you counter him you'll just be making your team weaker to something else. Not all tournaments are limiting heroes and they aren't as fun to watch.
Not fun playing against double of certain characters (Winston and Tracer for me)

Heel

Her ult is literally useless after you lose the first point on defense. No other character's ult becomes useless. I don't see how you don't see the problem with that. She's a defensive character who has a completely useless ultimate past the first half of a defense game.

friend heel, nobody is touching your snowflake status. her ult being better isn't going to make people suddenly start playing her.

The ult just straight up wins games, though. I think anyone putting in serious time with Symmetra is content with her skill set and secret Gawd status.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What do you think they should do then? Add the teleport as a 3rd ability with a 5 mins cooldown and give her a new ult?

Just give her a second ult and whichever you use, that's what it uses on a shared cooldown. So you can use one or the other. More sentries or something in exchange for a teleport. Just give her something else. She's already far more niche than any other hero in the game.

Easier to balance the game when you know for a fact there's no multiples of a hero
More diversity
More strategic. Current tournament play (and soon competitive play because team composition always trickles down and gets copied by the plebs) is all about double Lucio, McCree, Winston, Tracer, and teams don't counter it because it isn't counterable, like watch the matches from last night and double Winston will be played for the whole round because if you counter him you'll just be making your team weaker to something else.
Not fun playing against double of certain characters (Winston and Tracer for me)

current tournament play has banned hero stacking since around the beginning of june. you're watching old vods.

LiK

The ult just straight up wins games, though. I think anyone putting in serious time with Symmetra is content with her skill set and secret Gawd status.

Well, yea. I enjoy using her and ultimately my sentries and teleporter helps win games when the team is doing well. she's fun to play.

Ramirez

They don't want to get into the actual fights so yea, they're probably bad. They just wanna pick off people and ignore objectives. When I play as them, I always push even if it might get me killed. I have pretty high survivalibility as Hanzo and so-so with Widow. The next rumored hero is probably a sniper as well so I'm gonna expect the trend to continue.

Yea, I'm interested to see what Sombra turns out to be.

Smidget

Are there any recommended guides on all characters? A kinda newcomer (only 6 or so hours of game time) and mostly gravitate towards Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Mercy, and Soldier 76?

pigeon

Banned
What do you think they should do then? Add the teleport as a 3rd ability with a 5 mins cooldown and give her a new ult?

This is what I would do for her. Maybe not 5 minute cooldown.

Also, I think Blizzard should just figure out what makes them think teleporters are incredibly powerful and deal with that. Symmetra's design clearly shows they think they're enormous swings, and I think that's valid, but since they don't FEEL like enormous swings the current design just makes Symmetra feel lame almost all the time. With bonus negative points if your teleporter actually gets destroyed!

Symmetra needs actual high points and to have the teleporter be part of her baseline effectiveness. I'm not sure where the budget comes from. Probably her turret damage or her alt-fire.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Are there any recommended guides on all characters? A kinda newcomer (only 6 or so hours of game time) and mostly gravitate towards Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Mercy, and Soldier 76?

Just go into a game, hit F1 on your keyboard, then play a few matches with that character. That' s the best way to learn. For the most part, the characters are pretty easy to figure out and use on a basic level.

Gator86

Yea, I'm interested to see what Sombra turns out to be.

Yeah, I'm excited to see her. I really hope Blizz focuses heavily on healing, support, and tanks with the new heroes. We really don't need more snipers in the game, especially with everyone probably gravitating to new heroes.

Ketch

They just need to change it so you can only be damaged by one instance of lightning at a time. Just like you can only be healed by one Lucio at a time.

Zaventem

Yeah, I'm excited to see her. I really hope Blizz focuses heavily on healing, support, and tanks with the new heroes. We really don't need more snipers in the game, especially with everyone probably gravitating to new heroes.

It's already rumored to be a sniper so you're in for a big disappointment.

Onemic

Also, I think Blizzard should just figure out what makes them think teleporters are incredibly powerful and deal with that. Symmetra's design clearly shows they think they're enormous swings, and I think that's valid, but since they don't FEEL like enormous swings the current design just makes Symmetra feel lame almost all the time. With bonus negative points if your teleporter actually gets destroyed!

Symmetra needs actual high points and to have the teleporter be part of her baseline effectiveness. I'm not sure where the budget comes from. Probably her turret damage or her alt-fire.

Her teleporter ult definitely does feel like a huge swing the longer it is in the game. If that thing is not destroyed you will lose the game.

vaderise

I had a blast today playing with fellow Gaffers on PS4. Game is even more amazing with a full group. After 60 hours alone i don't think i will ever play this solo again!

LiK

I had a blast today playing with fellow Gaffers on PS4. Game is even more amazing with a full group. After 60 hours alone i don't think i will ever play this solo again!

welcome to the wonderful world of group play. play with me on PS4 some day.

abundant

The problem with putting it on a cooldown, as was already pointed out, is that players would alternate between deaths to make sure they have a 100% teleporter upkeep, which is extremely OP.

El Sloth

Banned
You all are too quick to ban things. Let things mellow for a bit, let strategy and meta develop. Let hero stacking be for a while, see how things play out. That one competitive league that banned it was way too hasty.

It's impossible to balance stacked heroes, and from what I've read Winston's shield was nerfed because of it? It's lame that one of his primary abilities is weak to protect against people stacking it. Fighting multiple Torb's on console is honestly one of the most miserable experiences in my FPS playing ever. There's 21 characters, TONS of variety, but people want to lock in the same 2-3 heroes and stack them? It just doesn't lead to good gameplay, and strips the game of what makes it unique and fun to me.

2 Torbs on console is enough to make anyone who might be interested in the game, get completely turned off and never want to play again.

I played a team of 4 torbs the other day, we almost lost, except for the last 30-45 seconds, we made pushes where we just randomly spammed our ults, captured the point and won. It was the least fun I had winning ever, it felt like there was no skill involved, we just triangled our way into there and then held them off (easily) because Torb is the least scariest character coming off of a spawn point.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
2 Torbs on console is enough to make anyone who might be interested in the game, get completely turned off and never want to play again.

I played a team of 4 torbs the other day, we almost lost, except for the last 30-45 seconds, we made pushes where we just randomly spammed our ults, captured the point and won. It was the least fun I had winning ever, it felt like there was no skill involved, we just triangled our way into there and then held them off (easily) because Torb is the least scariest character coming off of a spawn point.

This gets into another area of concern - how to balance things between console and PC. If you've ever played both, then you know that the game plays different between the two. Not better or worse - just differently. I hope they don't make changes to one version to fix issues in another.

As with everything on console eventually people will start seeing how D.Va uses her ult to clear out the payload checkpoint to flush out those turrets, and the'll catch on.

Console Overwatch seems to be a game of "Where are we at with the current trends"

Like, I played Bastion a ton in the Beta and loved him. As soon as Overwatch came out, people learned how to counter him really quick, and my bastion game became worthless.

Now, a month later, Bastion seems to be a viable option again, but the trends jumped around almost every week with what players knew how to play and what they knew how to counter.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So Fan the Hammer is completely useless now? I don't see any streamers using it. Even up-close.

What a ridiculous swing from Blizzard.

Mupod

a very small part of me wants to try this game on PS4 just so I can be a superhero and stomp all the Torbjorn stacking that's apparently happening. I love seeing that so I can style on them with Zarya.

Sigh, tempted to get this game on PC just to have more dudes to play with.

My PS4 friends list had 2 people on tonight, rip. Though I haven't added anyone from this thread so

welcome to the wonderful world of group play. play with me on PS4 some day.

If anyone want to play some games on PS4 tomorrow; I'm in. European. Sadly my mic is currently broken but I've got Discord etc.

I need some more US Gaffers who play in the evening.

PSN: Onslaught56

Add me PSN same as here

Also Tjorbons turret is obnoxious (console), the range is way too far and theres not a hard counter bar at best a trade. Bastion needs toning down as well, cut Turret mode ammo in half and increase the cooldown

LiK

a very small part of me wants to try this game on PS4 just so I can be a superhero and stomp all the Torbjorn stacking that's apparently happening. I love seeing that so I can style on them with Zarya.

You're welcome to try if you can get used to the aiming on console.

LiK

My PS4 friends list had 2 people on tonight, rip. Though I haven't added anyone from this thread so

Add me PSN same as here

Also Tjorbons turret is obnoxious (console), the range is way too far and theres not a hard counter bar at best a trade. Bastion needs toning down as well, cut Turret mode ammo in half and increase the cooldown

Done. 29 mutual friends eh

Edit: sorry for DP

Dragner

climbing and climbing.

BMheK2L.png

It's nowhere near as dominant as people would have you think.

You only really see it happen on the last checkpoint of a payload map, and only really on Numbani, Volskaya, and Anubis.

Usually it's just 2 Torbjorns, and that's it. Maybe a Bastion as well.

The only time it works is when randoms just rush in by themselves and thus the turrets focus them down, which happens a fair amount of the time.

What are you talking about?

The Turret is easily countered by anything it's not focusing on. D.Va is the hard counter since she can charge into it without taking damage and get in those sweet point blank shots for a quick kill. Plus she can use her Ult on Capture points to clear out multiple turrets at a time to sort of reset the playing field.

benzopil

What's up with turret's range btw? Is it as insane on PC as it is on console? I pick widowmaker to destroy turrets and I'm still getting damaged by them wherever I am lol.

Aiming is not a problem on consoles if we talk about turrets. It's about stupid range in my opinion.

LiK

What's up with turret's range btw? Is it as insane on PC as it is on console? I pick widowmaker to destroy turrets and I'm still getting damaged by them wherever I am lol.

Aiming is not a problem on consoles if we talk about turrets. It's about stupid range in my opinion.

Yea, same.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The range on Tobjorn and Bastion are kind of insane.

Imagine if the Heavy in TF2 had the range that Bastion had

Pilgrimzero

They do need to get rid of having more than one character on a team.

It's highly frustrating when being the attacker on a defend game and the opposing team digs into point B with 2 Torbs and 2 Bastions.

Bilix

The only change I would like to see on Symmetra is either an increase of the amount of times teleporter can be used, or be able to build up another one while one is deployed.

Minustephen

Neo Member
Really happy to see the support OW is getting. For every, "THIS NEEDS TO BE NERFED," someone is quick to be all, "You're playing it wrong."

I, personally, think every character is so perfect. People have to remember: there is NO character who is a "use every time" selection. Like some comments about Symmetra, "she's useless after [insert situation] happens," well then STOP USING HER.

I do agree that i wish there were a limit on one character out at a time. It's silly, IMO, to face a team of Torbjorn's. Not impossible to beat, but just not fun. But that might be just me...? However, i see plenty often someone being a widowmaker and totally stinking up the joint when we NEED a widowmaker... so maybe only two of the same character? Who's to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom