• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only change I would like to see on Symmetra is either an increase of the amount of times teleporter can be used, or be able to build up another one while one is deployed.

I don't think this is needed.

Symmetra makes or breaks a lot of games as it is. That teleporter is almost like a free rez for the next 6 deaths.

The only change I think Symmetra needs is for her own primary attack to have a different SFX from her turret SFX.

As it stands it's hard to differentiate the 2.

It's nowhere near as dominant as people would have you think.

You only really see it happen on the last checkpoint of a payload map, and only really on Numbani, Volskaya, and Anubis.

Usually it's just 2 Torbjorns, and that's it. Maybe a Bastion as well.

The only time it works is when randoms just rush in by themselves and thus the turrets focus them down, which happens a fair amount of the time.

What are you talking about?

The Turret is easily countered by anything it's not focusing on. D.Va is the hard counter since she can charge into it without taking damage and get in those sweet point blank shots for a quick kill. Plus she can use her Ult on Capture points to clear out multiple turrets at a time to sort of reset the playing field.

Beat me to it. This is the truth.

McCree isn't as good on consoles because his single shot isn't able to shine as well as it can on PC. Same with Widow.

But I've been seeing some really good Widows over the last few days. Not sure if it's a trend or if MMR has kicked me into their club.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stacking is in a weird spot since Blizzard seems to be an advocate for it, but there's been a competitive pushback against it since instead of encouraging weird comps that need to be countered on the fly it just had a dominating doubling up presence and lack of variety actually stems from it. Winston was nerfed solely due to stacking which makes a singular Winston shield weaker than it otherwise would be, which is a shame.

Balacing around stacks just seems like a total nightmare to me. It's so hard to design abilities that don't get downright stupid when you scale multiples of them together in one match, and I don't think the end result is really worth it. I've fought as and against damn near every weird stack you could see, from all Zen to all Torb and they just really aren't that fun to fight. Torb and Soldier stacks are the worst offender since they require significantly more coordination to take down than they do to play.

So what is the recommended scenario to bust out Pharah as someone who hasn't used her much? Like against what heroes, attacking vs defending, etc.

Kiro

So what is the recommended scenario to bust out Pharah as someone who hasn't used her much? Like against what heroes, attacking vs defending, etc.

Volskaya or Hanamura. Usually if there are turrets you can snipe from a distance. Or cliffs for the concussion blast.

Bilix

Symmetra makes or breaks a lot of games as it is. That teleporter is almost like a free rez for the next 6 deaths.

The only change I think Symmetra needs is for her own primary attack to have a different SFX from her turret SFX.

That's true, but it also relies on the teleporter not being destroyed. Mercy can give free rezes every minute if you can't take care of her.

mbpm1

Seems like Pharah adds that extra angle that you have to focus on.

It's not so difficult to bust up turrets or Pharah on PC when you look for them, but busting up turrets with decent Pharah up top somewhere? A real mess.

That's true, but it also relies on the teleporter not being destroyed. Mercy can give free rezes every minute if you can't take care of her.

Mercy is great for rezzing a group on the point, but Symmetra is better if you have any flankers/harassers on your team, as they're more likely to die out and away from the main fight, and thus Mercy's Rez wouldn't reach them anyway.

gryvan

The only change I would like to see on Symmetra is either an increase of the amount of times teleporter can be used, or be able to build up another one while one is deployed.

During closed beta, symmetra was able to build up her ult while her teleporter was still up. It was extremely unbalanced due to the fact that you can have literally unlimited teleporter being provided which made attackers have a really hard time capping points or moving payload. It is especially unnerving at the fact that once a teleporter is destroyed, another one would be up somewhere else. And the charge up for her ult was ridiculous if you place turrets in a good spot which she can place a new teleporter somewhere else.

Mupod

Watch out for: Soldier 76, Widowmaker, Hanzos that can aim, D-Va (can just fly up and kill you). You should have the advantage over Roadhog but that hook has surprisingly long range and you're not a hard target in the air.

Great against: Reinhardt (jump above the shield or just break it), Junkrat, Reaper, Torbjorn and Symmetra. Decent against squishy heroes since you can kill them with splash damage, but watch out for Genji who can magically turn 1 point of splash damage into a reflected rocket.

Pharah is good on any map, attack or defense. She's fun on KOTH maps since you can knock people off ledges. Generally Pharah is more about responding to the other team makeup, you're either useless or unstoppable.

Ferrio

Banned
I just want to see Symmetra's shield skill reworked or removed completely and replaced with something else. It's by far the most boring skill in the game, which makes it even worse when the skill itself isn't that great.

Sou Da

I just want to see Symmetra's shield skill reworked or removed completely and replaced with something else. It's by far the most boring skill in the game, which makes it even worse when the skill itself isn't that great.

I'm assuming you want something less passive but I can't think of a support ability that gels well with the turrets and is active.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
masteroverwatch.com is such a confidence-booster. Had no idea I was so consistent with Reinhardt >_>

lOZtes6.png

mbpm1

Be nice if it was replaced with a skill with more versatility if they did do something with it

LiK

Watch out for: Soldier 76, Widowmaker, Hanzos that can aim, D-Va (can just fly up and kill you). You should have the advantage over Roadhog but that hook has surprisingly long range and you're not a hard target in the air.

Great against: Reinhardt (jump above the shield or just break it), Junkrat, Reaper, Torbjorn and Symmetra. Decent against squishy heroes since you can kill them with splash damage, but watch out for Genji who can magically turn 1 point of splash damage into a reflected rocket.

Pharah is good on any map, attack or defense. She's fun on KOTH maps since you can knock people off ledges. Generally Pharah is more about responding to the other team makeup, you're either useless or unstoppable.

My thoughts exactly. I can personally take out most dudes except for Torb's turrets cuz it auto locks on as soon as it sees me.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm assuming you want something less passive but I can't think of a support ability that gels well with the turrets and is active.

Healing turrets, share same pool with your damage turrets?

Something that causes teammates ults to charge faster?

I honestly don't know, there's gotta be something better than what she has now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was thinking the other day that maybe she could convert a percentage of her target's health to shields. This would add up to a lot of effective healing over time.

Being able to set up small healing stations would be pretty cool, but only if they could heal X amount before being destroyed automatically.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's one of the better attack stacks, but I think a group of all winstons could chew her up.

Trying to counter her with bastion is NOT the answer though.

Nah, Winston's gun just tickles her through all that armor, and he can't crit her either. DVa is one of the best counters to Winston actually.

ISOM

So Fan the Hammer is completely useless now? I don't see any streamers using it. Even up-close.

What a ridiculous swing from Blizzard.

I was watching a promatch this morning and they were still using it against tanks. FTH roll FTH will still waste tanks fairly easily.

Mupod

My thoughts exactly. I can personally take out most dudes except for Torb's turrets cuz it auto locks on as soon as it sees me.

the trick is it shoots whoever is closest. Pharah is a great turret counter but only with a long line of sight. If he's got it in an awkward spot then there's way better options like Junkrat.

Nah, Winston's gun just tickles her through all that armor, and he can't crit her either. DVa is one of the best counters to Winston actually.

I haven't seen it done, but that would surprise me.

Consider that 6 Winstons would be multi attacking 6 D.Vas. So you have to figure Winston's DPS is doubling or Tripling.

The hardest part about dealing with a D.Va stack is that when you kill the Mech, the pilot just runs away. Having the Tesla's pick her off would solve that. The Tesla ignores the bullet shield she gives her self, and then you have the bubbles which would stop some ofher incoming damage.

I figure 1 D.Va vs 1 Winston, D.Va wins. But 6 D.Va vs 6 Winston? I think Winston comes out on top.

gryvan

I was watching a promatch this morning and they were still using it against tanks. FTH roll FTH will still waste tanks fairly easily.

but doesn't that require if you can get all 12 shots into a headshot?=

I mean i can do some headshots on mccree with FTH but doing 12 headshots up close 100% of the time as well as the fact that you are rolled too which makes you lose positioning?

I guess at pro levels, its extremely viable @_@

Veelk

Banned
I am finally considering giving in and getting overwatch.

Is this one of those games that's only worth getting on the PC or is it as fun to play on the PS4 as well? I usually get PC when I can, but I need to upgrade first and I don't have the funds. Are there any major problems with the PS4 version I should know about?

I am finally considering giving in and getting overwatch.

Is this one of those games that's only worth getting on the PC or is it as fun to play on the PS4 as well? I usually get PC when I can, but I need to upgrade first and I don't have the funds. Are there any major problems with the PS4 version I should know about?

I've put almost 100 hours into this game on PS4, and I'm having a blast.

I'd say about half of that time is group queue with 2-4 people, and the other half is solo queue.

ISOM

I mean i can do some headshots on mccree with FTH but doing 12 headshots up close 100% of the time as well as the fact that you are rolled too which makes you lose positioning?

Doesn't each FTH shot do 45 damage now? So you're doing about 540 damage total in the span of probably 5 seconds with just body shots. For the most part that will still waste most tanks.

Mupod

fan the hammer can't headshot. But 270 damage x2 is still almost enough to kill a Roadhog. A McCree that can aim is still a major threat.

I feel like regardless of whether he was nerfed too hard, since people stopped playing him Tracer and Genji have gotten out of control.

Antiwhippy

I haven't seen it done, but that would surprise me.

Consider that 6 Winstons would be multi attacking 6 D.Vas. So you have to figure Winston's DPS is doubling or Tripling.

The hardest part about dealing with a D.Va stack is that when you kill the Mech, the pilot just runs away. Having the Tesla's pick her off would solve that. The Tesla ignores the bullet shield she gives her self, and then you have the bubbles which would stop some ofher incoming damage.

I figure 1 D.Va vs 1 Winston, D.Va wins. But 6 D.Va vs 6 Winston? I think Winston comes out on top.

And dva by far out dps winston also? The bubble is kind of a joke honestly because at the range that Winston has to attack at dva can just walk through it. Dva's damage is only a problem once it's further away but on big targets like Winston AND at the range they both operate dva mech does way more damage. Plus she has the superior movement option to steal healthpacks.

If 1 v 1 is a big win for dva i don't see how that changes for 6 v 6.

gryvan

This is definitely true.

I've seen pharahs who wrekt teams usually because they don't target her due to the fact that shes out of range for them or that her range was too far to hit so it would just be useless and focus the other enemies. Sometimes they don't look up and assume the pharah is shooting rockets on the ground(lol). This in turn makes pharah killing others for free without any repercussion of getting killed.

But if they do target pharah, she definitely gets rekt and becomes useless. At that point, whoever is playing pharah needs to switch to a different hero.

coiler

Guys did anyone have a problem with the preorder DLC? My widowmaker got assigned to the Beta and since then I'm screwed by the supports Blizz-Sony-My region Sony- Retail every one is pushing it somewhere else...

Veelk

Banned
I've put almost 100 hours into this game on PS4, and I'm having a blast.

I'd say about half of that time is group queue with 2-4 people, and the other half is solo queue.

That's good.

My other concern is that I am utter shit at MP games. I generally prefer to play solo for this reason, so if I can have fun by myself, that'll be enough.

PS4 population has taken a nosedive lately. Long queue times and often matched into half full teams about to lose..bring on new content.

Oh...well damn.

I'll try it out. Worst case scenerio, I just return it in a week.

gryvan

fan the hammer can't headshot. But 270 damage x2 is still almost enough to kill a Roadhog. A McCree that can aim is still a major threat.

I feel like regardless of whether he was nerfed too hard, since people stopped playing him Tracer and Genji have gotten out of control.

man getting tracers as roadhog is fun as hell. I mean her rewind ability is a little bit of an annoyance but still if your really good at hooking and predicting when to hook her, it feels so so so satisfying

hooking genji though takes a little bit of practice due to the deflection.

And dva by far out dps winston also? The bubble is kind of a joke honestly because at the range that Winston has to attack at dva can just walk through it. Dva's damage is only a problem once it's further away but on big targets like Winston AND at the range they both operate dva mech does way more damage. Plus she has the superior movement option to steal healthpacks.

If 1 v 1 is a big win for dva i don't see how that changes for 6 v 6.

I feel like you're ignoring the fact that Tesla hits more than 1 target.

Hypothetically, if you put 6 D.Vas on top of each other, next to 6 Winstons on top of each other.

I'm not sure if Tesla has a target limit, but lets say it's 3 for the sake of discussion, because I know I've hit 3 targets at once before.

So if 6 Winstons fire at the same time into a pool of D.Vas, that is effectively 18 Winstons worth of Damage.

It's like a Mutilisk vs a Wraith. 1v1, the Wraith wins, 3v3, the Mutilisks win.

Edit: Also, winston moves faster than a firing D.Va and should be able to keep himself away from that point blank damage.

Kiro

it's been slim picking's over the weekend. i tried solo again but man, it's a mess.

I tried adding you to my team like ten times this weekend LiK. I'm always down to play with you slash anyone on psn

Psn: Kiro21- for anyone that cares

LiK

I tried adding you to my team like ten times this weekend LiK. I'm always down to play with you slash anyone on psn

Psn: Kiro21- for anyone that cares

if i don't join, i'm usually in another group already. but i remember joining one of your invites.

Hex

Banned

Agreed. Not everyone needs to use the teleporter and then it will last longer.
Anyone who has a speed boost should not use it and save it for slower team members.

LiK

Same here. Last weekend, for instance, I had 20+ people on my friends list playing. This weekend, I was lucky to have 6 - 10 players online.

5-6 seems to be the norm now and when i ask people if they wanna group up via PSN messages, no one replies. gonna dump a few of them. :\

Antiwhippy

I feel like you're ignoring the fact that Tesla hits more than 1 target.

Hypothetically, if you put 6 D.Vas on top of each other, next to 6 Winstons on top of each other.

I'm not sure if Tesla has a target limit, but lets say it's 3 for the sake of discussion, because I know I've hit 3 targets at once before.

So if 6 Winstons fire at the same time into a pool of D.Vas, that is effectively 18 Winstons worth of Damage.

It's like a Mutilisk vs a Wraith. 1v1, the Wraith wins, 3v3, the Mutilisks win.

Edit: Also, winston moves faster than a firing D.Va and should be able to keep himself away from that point blank damage.

Who attacks like that though? Even up close skirmishes on tight koth maps are usually split enough that it doesn't work that way.

Also Winston might be able to move out of dva's range but any good dva will know that you just dash in again and you're immediately back in range. There's a reason why her dash is on such a short cd.

Palmer_v1

Healing turrets has been my best idea. They have same range as normal turrets, but target friendlies and heal for maybe 100 total before recharging or needing to be replaced. The heal rate would be better chan Lucio, but worse than Zenyatta/Mercy. OTOH, they can stack the healing. You can still only have 6 turrets of any kind out at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom