• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Console Players: What sensitivity range are you using?

Do you increase or decrease from your global setting for different heroes? If so, which ones?

Ramirez

Do you increase or decrease from your global setting for different heroes? If so, which ones?

I only adjusted Widows scope speed, everything else is at default.

Turn speed is slow, but I'll take being able to aim consistently over being able to turn fast and my aim being every where.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I cranked the default up to 50/40 IIRC but it's the same for everyone.

The only tweaking beyond that I did was make L1 jump for Lucio, swapping on X is fine and this way I can actually do wall riding stuff.

ya'll need to 1v1 this shit

In a 1v1, Dva will win due to armor + shotguns. It's pretty easy.

Teamfights are a different beast though. Winston is one of my most played characters and I generally don't fear Dva either. But I also don't try to fight them 1v1 at full HP. He's better at team fights than her due to his kit.

jru0GAa.png

come get some then, disrespectful bastaaads. stand right there in this hotass beam.
q6bGQuV.png

I'm feeling like Ilios is the worst map in the game. It's far too difficult for the point to be recaptured, there's no reason to play any support but Lucio, large portions of the map aren't even used. It's just a mess.

If I might disagree, it just has to be played a bit differently. Mercy is as strong on these maps as she is in any other. The nature of KoTH plays to the strength of her ultimate, so long as you keep yourself in a safe place and don't let yourself get picked off before your ult is inevitably needed.

As for recapturing, it feels like any other koth map to me. It's always difficult to recpature, which is why it's important to not let it go for free (without contesting) or to lose it at all. once it's captured, just keeping a foot on it means whoever has it gets to keep building their lead. Illios is IMO, best played with a Junkrat, a Lucio and at least one Pharah on the team. Everything else you just fill as you want. The usual suspects (Winston, 76, Reaper, Reinhardt, Hog, Zarya, etc.) are always strong.

edgefusion

Torbjorn is really ruining this game on PS4 for me, to the point I just don't feel like playing anymore. It's always 1+ Torbjorns on defence and they always win. I hope to god Blizzard are planning a nerf because it's getting kind of ridiculous. You can predict the outcome before a match even begins, defending team have a Torbjorn? They've won already.

Which part of Ilios? It's one of my favorite maps. TBF I like all the KOTH maps, but Ilios provides a lot of versatility and vertacality on each of the sections.

All of them. They're all pretty bad for Zenyatta, for one. There's no reason to play Mercy because you're just a free kill for Pharah. Every section having ledges encourages fishing for environmental kills, and the maps are laid out in a way that gives a ridiculous advantage to the winning team. On Well, the people who don't have the point have to fight uphill through the winding streets with awful sightlines. I've never seen a team able to push back the attackers once they realize they can simply push the other team back to spawn.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
we need a rundown of the skins and legs you've unlocked. for perspective.

Sure, so far I've either unboxed or bought the following (note: I haven't spent any ££££):

Bastion Gearbox and Steambot
Junkrat Jester
McCree Riverboat
Mei Rescue Me!
Mercy Valkyrie
Pharah Thunderbird
Reaper Nevermore
Soldier76 Daredevil
Winston Frogston
Zarya Artic

And I'm sitting on 1000c which I'll spend on Night Ops if I don't unbox it during the early levels of this prestige.

IvanJ

Banned
After 46 hours of playing, I've finally reached rank 50.
And an incredible ratio of 179 wins in 358 matches, exactly 50% on the dot.

Guess this is a good place to stop. I am getting a bit bored, just went through the motions for the last few levels.
Will come back when they decide to add some new maps and modes, but right now there are too many other games to play that I've been neglecting. It's been fun while it lasted.

I usually go maxed out, but I'm very used to those settings as I've been using them for shooters for years. Honestly, if I use anything lower I can feel the difference quite quickly and I'll player rather poorly.

Zemm

I'm queuing solo and wow today is just the worst day of overwatch ever, the kind of games that make you want to uninstall. It's fucking incredible how bad so many players are. I think to myself "god damn I'm playing shit this match" and I look at the scoreboard and I'm gold on kills and damage done. This game is just the opposite of fun sometimes.

Torbjorn is really ruining this game on PS4 for me, to the point I just don't feel like playing anymore. It's always 1+ Torbjorns on defence and they always win. I hope to god Blizzard are planning a nerf because it's getting kind of ridiculous. You can predict the outcome before a match even begins, defending team have a Torbjorn? They've won already.

I'm not familiar with the console experience, but are your teams just having trouble coordinating? D.Va's damage block, Zarya's double shield or Reinhardt should give damage dealers more than enough time to murk those soft turrets unless he molten core's. In which case you just back up and wait it out. If they can be seen from a distance, anyone with a reliable and high damage left-click (Hanzo, Widow, McCree, Pharah) should be able to poke it down efficiently. Tracer can even rush it and pulse bomb it if need be.

What do you find is the biggest reason for the struggle?

Durden77

Just off of how armor and Winston's gun work, D.Va has an easy time. Might change depending on respective player skill though

How exactly DOES armor work in this game? Still a bit confused by it. I always thought is was pretty much just more health, but is it actually stronger health?

Also just to throw my hat in as a Winston player, I don't find the D.Va matchup to be that 1 sided in either direction. I chew up plenty, but they also get the best of me sometimes.

Ferrio

Banned
How exactly DOES armor work in this game? Still a bit confused by it. I always thought is was pretty much just more health, but is it actually stronger health?

Also just to throw my hat in as a Winston player, I don't find the D.Va matchup to be that 1 sided in either direction. I chew up plenty, but they also get the best of me sometimes.

Reduces damage by half, capped at 5 damage per hit. So weak multi hitting attacks are the least effective against armor.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It cuts damage by half, up to 5 damage. So someone like Widow with her single strong shot will only lose 5 damage, but someone like Tracer will have each individual bullet get cut down pretty hard.

nOoblet16

ya'll need to 1v1 this shit

D.Va is not a counter to winsotn, at best they are both 50-50.
Both have the mobility to make the other's attack useless, and they both have short range weapons...yes Winston can't crit but he can hit longer since his gun is basically auto aim while D.Va will miss a lot but she will do more damage...etc etc.

A true counter to Winston is Reaper who literally melts him, followed by Bastion (he is just as good of a tank killer but since he is not mobile I put him below reaper) and Roadhog. Reaper is less effective against D.Va due to armour but he can still melt through her if he gets crits especially unlike Tracer whose gun literally becomes a pea shooter against D.Va.

I increased it for a while across the board but found my accuracy was hurt so I went back to default with just a smidge more.
But Tracer I leave pretty high for quick turns.

Hopefully more public players pick up on how you can counter multiple torbs with a few D-Vas.
While not guaranteed I've witnessed the Torb Turret Town go down the tubes rapidly when you have a few mechs constantly preventing them from getting going.
She's ended up being my second most used character entirely because of the PS4 turret surplus.

All of them. They're all pretty bad for Zenyatta, for one. There's no reason to play Mercy because you're just a free kill for Pharah. Every section having ledges encourages fishing for environmental kills, and the maps are laid out in a way that gives a ridiculous advantage to the winning team. On Well, the people who don't have the point have to fight uphill through the winding streets with awful sightlines. I've never seen a team able to push back the attackers once they realize they can simply push the other team back to spawn.

It sometimes feels like they designed the maps to make Lucio the ultimate support for them at the expense of the rest, a high number of them have edges near the capture point to blast people down or have the potential for continuous wall riding. Of course the real winner being that the heal everyone while just moving around approach is perfect for the mode in general.
Was it confirmed that Lucio's speed boost also speeds up the point capture? if so that's another feather in his cap.

Durden77

Reduces damage by half, capped at 5 damage per hit. So weak multi hitting attacks are the least effective against armor.

It cuts damage by half, up to 5 damage. So someone like Widow with her single strong shot will only lose 5 damage, but someone like Tracer will have each individual bullet get cut down pretty hard.

Got it. Armor can also be replenished with things that replenish health like packs and Mercy right?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Who's the lucky hero?
Mei... The fire fighter costume. Which, hey, it's easily her best costume. Too bad it's saddled to fucking Mei.

Not possible. You're guaranteed a legendary after 25 lootboxes, so you must've got one before you hit level 27 too. You probably missed it, so go through your hero gallery just to make sure :)
I had acouple loot boxes piled up from crossing 25. That's probably when I got her. Either way, she's the only legendary I have.

Sounds like you got a new main to practice on.
I played her for acouple games before when I got the game. I stopped for a reason.

I push back on well very often. The streets can be a trap for a defending team as there are multiple flanking routes and defense often gets narrow fighting platforms or they must spread out. It's much easier to defend from the point itself, in which case there are still multiple entrances.

Usually if they are aggressive, the defending team will very often lose the point. They can't even really cover each route effectively from the top of the hill as there are like 6 of them. Left along the cliff, the stairs on the left, the main route which breaks off into 2, and the far right route which can be used if they're aggressively defending the other routes. Also the rooftop route down the mid-right.

I think I've only been rarely stuck fighting up the hill. Most of the fighting happens on the point. If you're struggling, maybe the composition needs to change. Pharah, tracer, reaper, and flankers can force the opponent team back into defending rather than attacking.

edgefusion

I'm not familiar with the console experience, but are your teams just having trouble coordinating? D.Va's damage block, Zarya's double shield or Reinhardt should give damage dealers more than enough time to murk those soft turrets unless he molten core's. In which case you just back up and wait it out. If they can be seen from a distance, anyone with a reliable and high damage left-click (Hanzo, Widow, McCree, Pharah) should be able to poke it down efficiently. Tracer can even rush it and pulse bomb it if need be.

What do you find is the biggest reason for the struggle?

As of this very moment I'm playing attack on Volskaya, the enemy team has 3 Torbjorns that rotate Molten Cores. In a solo-queue game it is a totally unbreakable, unbeatable defence. These Torbjorns are putting in *zero* effort to put up a defence that can't be beaten without serious coordination.

Alternating molten cores are a right pain, if you don't nip the Torbs in the bud before they get the momentum rolling to alternate their ults it's kinda ridiculous.
Unfortunately there are people in solo who spend the first few minutes of the match fuelling them with unsuccessful attacks before considering a counter plan.

They should make the turret lock on slower when at a far distance. It can auto-lock from so far away, so quickly on console.
I think one of the game tips is along the lines of "pharah is a good counter to turrets!" but in reality it seems like the moment you jet into the air it snaps onto her (even when you think you're out of range) and blasts her out the sky with barely enough time to aim and fire one or two rockets with PS4 aiming.

As of this very moment I'm playing attack on Volskaya, the enemy team has 3 Torbjorns that rotate Molten Cores. In a solo-queue game it is a totally unbreakable, unbeatable defence. These Torbjorns are putting in *zero* effort to put up a defence that can't be beaten without serious coordination.

oof.

how about a team of Genji's? would that counter this, GAF? I don't play Genji but I know he eats turrets for breakfast. Can your Junkrat not attack them from safety?

Alternating molten cores are a right pain, if you don't nip the Torbs in the bud before they get the momentum rolling to alternate their ults it's kinda ridiculous.
Unfortunately there are people in solo who spend the first few minutes of the match fuelling them with unsuccessful attacks before considering a counter plan.

I think one of the game tips is along the lines of "pharah is a good counter to turrets!" but in reality it seems like the moment you jet into the air it snaps onto her (even when you think you're out of range) and blasts her out the sky with barely enough time to aim and fire one or two rockets with PS4 aiming.

Yea maybe. Pharah is only a counter to turrets if she can attack them from a farther distance than their tracking allows. If they're in a corner where she can't see them unless she's close, she has trouble with them. In which case, if you can coordinate a pair of Pharah's, they should crush. But...coordination is the key. Molten Core is autowin regardless. You just have to wait that out unless you can project overwhelming firepower on his position.

Gabriel Reyes (Reaper) had the overall command of Overwatch, and is one of the founders, indeed alongside Soldier 76 (Jack Morrison), Reinhardt, Torbjörn and the other two, Amari and Liao, who aren't in the game (yet?).

Yeah but Blackwatch is a separate thing to Overwatch and it's more associated with Talon. McCree was in Blackwatch but had nothing to do with Talon so I guess the history still has a lot to of space for new reveals.

oof.

how about a team of Genji's? would that counter this, GAF? I don't play Genji but I know he eats turrets for breakfast.

Mei.

Switch to characters who can go around the back left and plug the dwarves from behind

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah but Blackwatch is a separate thing to Overwatch and it's more associated with Talon. McRee was in Blackwatch but had nothing to do with Talon so I guess the history still has a lot to of space for new reveals.

Mei.

isn't blackwatch the covert ops wing of overwatch? talon is basically overwatch operatives that were in blackwatch gone rogue

Both have the mobility to make the other's attack useless, and they both have short range weapons...yes Winston can't crit but he can hit longer since his gun is basically auto aim while D.Va will miss a lot but she will do more damage...etc etc.

A true counter to Winston is Reaper who literally melts him, followed by Bastion (he is just as good of a tank killer but since he is not mobile I put him below reaper) and Roadhog. Reaper is less effective against D.Va due to armour but he can still melt through her if he gets crits especially unlike Tracer whose gun literally becomes a pea shooter against D.Va.

Nah, winston's gun is seriously ineffective against armor, which about 2/3 of D. Va's pool is. D.Va can easily chase Winston and puts out far more damage. I don't think a Winston could ever beat a D.Va of equal skill 1v1

Why Mei? Because she can heal herself half way through killing the turret with right-clicks? Or to just wall off the turrets to start with?

I ask because Hanzo and McCree offer similar or better damage. Walling does sound epic tho

The freeze completely counters his movement advantage and can't be reflected. Also the ice block counters his ult. That's how you counter Genji.

This is kind of a lore question

but out of all the characters in this game..how many were officially once part of Overwatch?

Out of all the playable characters, 76, Reaper, Torb, and Reinhardt were all founding members while Mercy, Tracer, Winston, McCree, Genji, and Mei joined at some point before it was shut down. In canon it's only been about 5 years since it was dissolved despite being founded years and years prior.

An Ice wall touching a turret freezes it if I recall so aside from blocking it off you can effectively deactivate it long enough to take it down with icicles, still a bit of a fiddly way of handling it though.

I still say D-Va, armor allows you to tank the turret shots, you can fly with the defense matrix on to reach them when tucked up in high places and you can usually mince meat the torb himself if he's lurking around.
But just one D-Va and multiple turrets is still trouble, well until you get the bunny bomb.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

If dva misses a lot it's not based in equal skill because he's literally one of the biggest targets in the game. Like every tank except maybe zarya should be eating all of dva's flak cannon spread.

Volskaya or Hanamura. Usually if there are turrets you can snipe from a distance. Or cliffs for the concussion blast.

Watch out for: Soldier 76, Widowmaker, Hanzos that can aim, D-Va (can just fly up and kill you). You should have the advantage over Roadhog but that hook has surprisingly long range and you're not a hard target in the air.

Great against: Reinhardt (jump above the shield or just break it), Junkrat, Reaper, Torbjorn and Symmetra. Decent against squishy heroes since you can kill them with splash damage, but watch out for Genji who can magically turn 1 point of splash damage into a reflected rocket.

Pharah is good on any map, attack or defense. She's fun on KOTH maps since you can knock people off ledges. Generally Pharah is more about responding to the other team makeup, you're either useless or unstoppable.

Bolded is the impression I got from the little time I spent with her, which is why I finally asked in the OT. Thanks to both of you for the advice!

masteroverwatch.com is such a confidence-booster. Had no idea I was so consistent with Reinhardt >_>

lOZtes6.png

So is there like a bit of delay for the stats if you are a PS player? Because my career profile doesn't match up master overwatch and I want it to be accurate because it seems life a nifty site.

And after 18 hours of dvas i can tell you that i eat gorillas for breakfast. I surgically chase them down because i know that they can barely damage me.

They don't taste great but what can you do.
A good Winston won't bother engaging a D.Va. D.Vas aren't our targets. That's too close to a fair fight for a hero designed for (ahem) guerrilla warfare. A good D.Va shouldn't be wasting her time trying to chase down the most horizontally/vertically mobile character in the game, either. He has the health and mobility to put up a fight, the disengagement speed to seek recourse from his teammates or healthpacks and consistent and nearly unavoidable damage within his range. D.Va is way too easy to strafe when she's firing and simply doesn't deal enough damage herself to stop him from retreating if he feels the need to.

When I said I never worried about a D.Va, I didn't mean I kill them easily as Winston. I meant I literally don't worry about them. My mission as Winston is to 1) give snipers and supports a very bad day and 2) make everyone pay attention to me. A D.Va rarely gets in the way of that. And a D.Va that wants to chase me back to my team and/or focus fire me in a team fight is doing exactly what I want her to.

eKPYnRE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom