• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so tired of this, competitive play can't come soon enough. And it seems that once you lose a game...you lose 5 or 6 in a row.

Playing with people that are lvl 70 or above and have no clue what this is about. I guess they get all happy with their pathetic medals while we are completely destroyed. The amount of times that I'm playing as Tracer, Genji and ffs, sometimes even as Widowmaker, and if I don't push the car no one else does it.

It's like I can't have any fun, try new heroes and stuff because otherwise we would be smashed into tiny pieces. But those meme masters are having a blast with Reapers, Pharahs and Soldiers fighting and getting those useless kills god knows where.

Arrgh.

cdtBiyc.jpg

Vya6RtB.jpg

teeMsPz.jpg

MuUVGgbl.jpg

not this hanzo player using an aimbot. that quick snap to your head tbh

in chat he's like top 183. trying to get #1.

any way possible amirite.

EDIT: stop blizzard. i left the game and you put me back in the same game? fix plz.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Game is kinda not fun most of the time.

Would be better if you couldn't use the same character as someone else on your team and if there was a stealth character that can 1 shot bastion in his turret form.

Turrets in general are way over done and take away from any skilled play.

sixghost

oof.

how about a team of Genji's? would that counter this, GAF? I don't play Genji but I know he eats turrets for breakfast. Can your Junkrat not attack them from safety?

Yea maybe. Pharah is only a counter to turrets if she can attack them from a farther distance than their tracking allows. If they're in a corner where she can't see them unless she's close, she has trouble with them. In which case, if you can coordinate a pair of Pharah's, they should crush. But...coordination is the key. Molten Core is autowin regardless. You just have to wait that out unless you can project overwhelming firepower on his position.
Previously I thought that Widow was the best counter to multiple Torbs, but I haven't tried her since the nerf.

Lupercal

Banned

Would be better if you couldn't use the same character as someone else on your team and if there was a stealth character that can 1 shot bastion in his turret form.

Dat salt though, Bastion is so easy to take out.

Raxus

Competitive would ease this immensely. People would actually swap to healers instead of playing the most offensive hero half the time.

Turrets are easy to take out. *insert gif of blizzard responses. Genji, widow, hanzo*

eek5

That rein one kills me. I see a Rein with 25% hp so I go to charge my ult and he just charges away to his death. ;_;

Competitive would ease this immensely. People would actually swap to healers instead of playing the most offensive hero half the time.
Lowest skill rating has to play healer

Zaventem

A zarya player stood near the edge today when I got knocked off the cliff. First time that actually happen, it a good feeling. Paid extra attention to that player.

Quick edit, I was playing mercy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Tracer kinda. Once you build up her ult.

Previously I thought that Widow was the best counter to multiple Torbs, but I haven't tried her since the nerf.

She is, but Widow has the line of sight problem. If you tuck that turret behind a wall, she can't do shit without putting herself in harm's way. For the midrange poke game (close enough that the turret will auto-target you), mccree, pharah, and Hanzo would be much more effective.

But yea if she can see the Turret (say on a map like Route 66), she's the best possible option.

R0ckman

Play Pharah, deal with turret clear 4 characters with ult on objective, food arrives at door, hide character, go grab food, come back team still loses match?

That solo qeue goodness...

A good Winston won't bother engaging a D.Va. D.Vas aren't our targets. That's too close to a fair fight for a hero designed for (ahem) guerrilla warfare. A good D.Va shouldn't be wasting her time trying to chase down the most horizontally/vertically mobile character in the game, either. He has the health and mobility to put up a fight, the disengagement speed to seek recourse from his teammates or healthpacks and consistent and nearly unavoidable damage within his range. D.Va is way too easy to strafe when she's firing and simply doesn't deal enough damage herself to stop him from retreating if he feels the need to.

When I said I never worried about a D.Va, I didn't mean I kill them easily as Winston. I meant I literally don't worry about them. My mission as Winston is to 1) give snipers and supports a very bad day and 2) make everyone pay attention to me. A D.Va rarely gets in the way of that. And a D.Va that wants to chase me back to my team and/or focus fire me in a team fight is doing exactly what I want her to.

eKPYnRE.gif
A good D.Va having done her job of taking out squishes in the back will eventually attack the Winston. You may retreat, but if she's done her job, your team won't be there. And getting you to retreat is, in itself, a victory for D.Va.

The coward Genji pic pretty much sums up whenever I end up playing Mercy on Anubis attack at the starting archway, almost all the attack focused characters leaning in and out of trying to take potshots at turrets/bastion while being riddled.

A good D.Va having done her job of taking out squishes in the back will eventually attack the Winston. You may retreat, but if she's done her job, your team won't be there. And getting you to retreat is, in itself, a victory for D.Va.
If D.Va is taking out Winston's squishies and Winston is taking out hers then there is no encounter to be had. She's doing her job and Winston is doing his.

Winston does it better, though.

Edit:
D.Va is not a counter to winsotn, at best they are both 50-50.
Both have the mobility to make the other's attack useless, and they both have short range weapons...yes Winston can't crit but he can hit longer since his gun is basically auto aim while D.Va will miss a lot but she will do more damage...etc etc.

A true counter to Winston is Reaper who literally melts him, followed by Bastion (he is just as good of a tank killer but since he is not mobile I put him below reaper) and Roadhog. Reaper is less effective against D.Va due to armour but he can still melt through her if he gets crits especially unlike Tracer whose gun literally becomes a pea shooter against D.Va.

Exactly to the bold. And Winston does not care for 50/50 encounters. It isn't about how fast he can or can't kill D.Va. It isn't his job to. I would say, though, that Bastion is the most extreme hard counter to Winston, not Reaper. I've caught plenty of Reapers off guard and come out on top. They give me pause, and I won't engage them but I actively flee and reevaluate my life the moment I see a Bastion set up. I don't even attempt to catch one off guard. The element of surprise is completely irrelevant in that encounter. My first tip for playing Winston is never step to a Bastion thinking you have the time to kill him before he does you.

Antiwhippy

Man I don't even have any beef against winston, I like playing winston.

I think I really annoyed this mercy once by specifically targeting her all the time. Just jump in, zap her to death, jump out, and if I die hey, at least your goddamn heroes will die for once.

Antiwhippy

I must say though, my favorite way to take care of Winstons is as zenyetta.

"Jumping in to take care of squishies? I turn YOU into the squishy."

Man I don't even have any beef against winston, I like playing winston.

I think I really annoyed this mercy once by specifically targeting her all the time. Just jump in, zap her to death, jump out, and if I die hey, at least your goddamn heroes will die for once.

With Winston you basically make your living repeatedly picking on people weaker than you, we become the bully and when you're on a roll you just know that the squishy players are loathing you.

Feels bad, yet also good, so conflicting.

As for the Zen point, I'm always extra careful with them, I have to ensure they don't see me coming otherwise it just ends up shameful. Love it when I'm the Zenyatta though, even their ult can't save them from the debuff powers.

Mr. Robot

I didn't realize that Symmetra was my most played character until i checked my stats.
For some reason i always stick to her on defense, she has the most kills, but never been the star of the show on a POTG.

While the portal is great she needs something extra for her ult, like a temp buff to her turrets, aura healing/armor, or longer range on her gun or something.

Antiwhippy

With Winston you basically make your living repeatedly picking on people weaker than you, we become the bully and when you're on a roll you just know that the squishy players are loathing you.

Feels bad, yet also good, so conflicting.

As for the Zen point, I'm always extra careful with them, I have to ensure they don't see me coming otherwise it just ends up shameful. Love it when I'm the Zenyatta though, even their ult can't save them from the debuff powers.

Yeah, that debuff is insane. Cuts down monkey rage so fast.

If D.Va is taking out Winston's squishies and Winston is taking out hers then there is no encounter to be had. She's doing her job and Winston is doing his.

Winston does it better, though.

Edit:

Exactly to the bold. And Winston does not care for 50/50 encounters. It isn't about how fast he can or can't kill D.Va. It isn't his job to. I would say, though, that Bastion is the most extreme hard counter to Winston, not Reaper. I've caught plenty of Reapers off guard and come out on top. They give me pause, and I won't engage them but I actively flee and reevaluate my life the moment I see a Bastion set up. I don't even attempt to catch one off guard. The element of surprise is completely irrelevant in that encounter. My first tip for playing Winston is never step to a Bastion thinking you have the time to kill him before he does you.

I still say if a D. Va wanted to counter Winston she totally could. A D.Va can still do her job well and engage with Winston, I would not say the opposite is true. I say that with plenty of experience with both under my belt. I know Winston is a better pick atm, but in this matchup it absolutely goes to D.Va.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Play Pharah, deal with turret clear 4 characters with ult on objective, food arrives at door, hide character, go grab food, come back team still loses match?

That solo qeue goodness...
Your fault, you left your team. Never leave the #team.

I still say if a D. Va wanted to counter Winston she totally could. A D.Va can still do her job well and engage with Winston, I would not say the opposite is true. I say that with plenty of experience with both under my belt. I know Winston is a better pick atm, but in this matchup it absolutely goes to D.Va.
D.Va cant even engage a proper backline lol. i doubt she could even stay close to the most mobile tank in the game.

D.Va cant even engage a proper backline lol. i doubt she could even stay close to the most mobile tank in the game.

I don't know what kind of D.Va you've seen, but she can take out snipers and healers almost equally to Winston. And her chasing mechanics recharge at the same rate as Winston's jump. But she has more control and doesn't have to fly in an arc, so she can easily pursue Winston.

A D.Va that wants to and tries to counter Winston is not doing her job. A Winston that has gotten a D.Va to attempt to counter him is doing his.

And it's important to understand that countering Winston is about killing him before he kills your squishies, not simply dealing damage to him. This is why Bastion and Reaper and such are key. They can burst him down before he accomplishes his goal and disengages back to safety. D.Va can not.

I think one of the game tips is along the lines of "pharah is a good counter to turrets!" but in reality it seems like the moment you jet into the air it snaps onto her (even when you think you're out of range) and blasts her out the sky with barely enough time to aim and fire one or two rockets with PS4 aiming.

You're playing it wrong :) What you're supposed to do is to peak around a corner. Do a quick peak, fire, go back behind cover, repeat. The turret will only get like one shot on you, which is barely any health done at all. This also works on Bastions. Good Pharahs and Widows are my biggest fears when I play Bastion (Genji is easy-mode when you just wait out his deflect).

Amazing.

V-Faction

This D.Va/Winston discussion is pretty great since I've been playing both of them consistently the past few days. They're both phenomenal at sniper squishing, which is why I was drawn to each of them in the first place.

At the moment though, I'm giving more love to D.Va because her Ultimate tops Winston's for me.

A D.Va that wants to and tries to counter Winston is not doing her job. A Winston that has gotten a D.Va to attempt to counter him is doing his.

And it's important to understand that countering Winston is about killing him before he kills your squishies, not simply dealing damage to him. This is why Bastion and Reaper and such are key. They can burst him down before he accomplishes his goal and disengages back to safety. D.Va can not.

She can push him away from the squishies and create an opportunity for focused fire on Winston, though. That kills him much faster than he gets the squishies.

I think that saying D.Va isn't doing her job in this case isn't accurate. I view her as a combination Protector/Disruptor. That's why she is so lost in the competitive right now. There are tanks that do both better. That's why they are looking to buff either her offense or defense. That being said, that also makes her one of the most adaptable tanks in the game. So anything she does to help the team is doing the job in my book.

Durden77

I want like, a fighter character. Like a character that can get in and pop people up for juggles and actually do combos and stuff. Like pretty much a fighting game character.

I think it could work in this game. I imagine like a Balrog-like-boxer or something. Give them a charging uppercut that can pop people up and follow them into the air, and give them like a rapid punch for another abilty. Boom. I'm a Blizzard employee.

V-Faction

I want like, a fighter character. Like a character that can get in and pop people up for juggles and actually do combos and stuff. Like pretty much a fighting game character.

I think it could work in this game. I imagine like a Balrog-like-boxer or something.

Whoa, me too.

EDIT: Seriously, I was thinking of that earlier today.

I want more melee-based fighters. Either someone like a Boxer or a Fencer that can do a rush punch/lunge forward kindish move.

mbpm1

I think it could work in this game. I imagine like a Balrog-like-boxer or something. Give them a charging uppercut that can pop people up and follow them into the air, and give them like a rapid punch for another abilty. Boom. I'm a Blizzard employee.

Chill, he's coming out this month in SFV

next month

next year

w/e

lost one game on defense on anubis because i thought other team was at their spawn still so i was trying to slow them down a bit but LMAO they were at the last point.

I hate how reinhardt's knockback works with latency, so I'd probably despise some kind of juggling melee character.

I'm actually quite happy with only reinhardt being a main melee fighter. I was never a big fan of melee in comp fps in the first place though. I'm glad genji was changed as apparently he was originally going to be a sword main character... that'd be so obnoxious if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom