• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yes, but where is my hate? I want it so bad.

Just keep putting up icewalls in your own spawn.

I've played against some troll meis, oh believe me. Still not as common as people made me believe. Probably because I take the Mei role most games.

XenoRaven

If you play Mei, you sometimes mess up your team. It's OK to admit it.

You just have to try your best to be a net positive for your team and I will still dislike you but I won't hate you with every fibre of my being.

aeolist

Banned
lol just played a pharah game and got 80% kill participation

balanced rocket lady
misc-dendiFace.PNG

Start with great double tank composition. 1 guy changes without saying anything, to a non-tank. Later the other tank changes to a non-tank without saying anything. GG.

It's literally a test of nerves to play with some people.

ramyeon

I've had Meis on my own team purposefully block me en route to the objective when setting up defences. That kind of shit is annoying.

Otherwise I don't really have any issues with her.

Blues1990

Wait, why are people hating on zarya?

Also yeah, I don't get any hate playing as mei from my teams so far, but maybe because australian servers are more chill?

That sounds nice, actually. I wouldn't mind playing with players that are much more calmer (and sociable) than what I have to deal with. Is there anyway to switch servers, or are they tied to the Battle.Net account you created?

In the case for Zarya, it's usually some variant of the phrase "dumb, pink haired lesbo" and it follows up with either the following:

-"Reinheart is the better tank."
-"Her shields suck. Use Winston or Reinheart's shields."
-"D.Va is a lot cuter than that mountain of fe-muscle."
-"Why would anyone play as a bodybuilder? Let alone one with a dumb haircut?"

It's less frequent than when I play as Mei. But I hear players keep commenting/harassing me with the mentioned above, and it drives me bananas that we rarely, if ever, have a character like Zarya. I don't care if she doesn't have Widowmakers ass or Symmetra's thighs, let mentioning that Zarya looks like a lesbian (and I don't know why people make such narrow minded conclusions).

Yes, it's great that you like a character's assets, but don't go crying to me if we lost if you don't pull your weight or you go blaming everyone else for something they never did. Just let me play as the character that I want to play. She's frickin' awesome!

Her sarcastic "Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry, sorry" is the response my friend gives everyone whining about his Mei. That or "Hang in there!", "Hey, chill out~!" or "You have to let it go..." It's like Blizzard knew Mei would piss everyone off at some point.

Ah, right. I keep forgetting about the emoticons that each character has. I can't remember when I had to use it, if ever. And I thought she's incredibly apologetic whenever she uses the "Sorry, sorry. I'm sorry! Sorry..." line?

I've had Meis on my own team purposefully block me en route to the objective when setting up defences. That kind of shit is annoying.

Otherwise I don't really have any issues with her.

I played a KOTH match where Mei would always block the door of the spawn at the beginning of the match/whenever she respawned. I quit that match because it was so dumb.

Mei is just annoying. I dont have a problem beating her, but she is probably the most obnoxious character in the game. She can slow you down and freeze you. She has the ability to heal herself with ice, that makes her invulnerable, and then once she is out she puts a wall in front of her.

The fact that she can stall an entire team on objective by herself until her team can return is my main problem with her.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That sounds nice, actually. I wouldn't mind playing with players that are much more calmer (and sociable) than what I have to deal with. Is there anyway to switch servers, or are they tied to the Battle.Net account you created?

In the case for Zarya, it's usually some variant of the phrase "dumb, pink haired lesbo" and it follows up with either the following:

It's less frequent than when I play as Mei. But I hear players keep commenting/harassing me with the mentioned above, and it drives me bananas that we rarely, if ever, have a character like Zarya. I don't care if she doesn't have Widowmakers ass or Symmetra's thighs, let mentioning that Zarya looks like a lesbian (and I don't know why people make such narrow minded conclusions).

Yes, it's great that you like a character's assets, but don't go crying to me if we lost if you don't pull your weight or you go blaming everyone else for something they never did. Just let me play as the character that I want to play. She's frickin' awesome!

It just sounded like you ran into a whole bunch of assholes.

Yeah I can't say I've ran into any of that.

woolley

Mei is just annoying. I dont have a problem beating her, but she is probably the most obnoxious character in the game. She can slow you down and freeze you. She has the ability to heal herself with ice, that makes her invulnerable, and then once she is out she puts a wall in front of her.

The fact that she can stall an entire team on objective by herself until her team can return is my main problem with her.

Well she is a defensive player, she sets up defenses. There are hero's that easily counter all of her abilities, she isn't that strong.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
What's the learning curve for this game like?
Characters are all pretty easy to learn, there's only 12 maps, and you'll get paired with beginners while you learn the basics. It's nothing too complicated, you'll do fine as long as you have decent enemy awareness.

What's the learning curve for this game like?

It curves up slightly to start and levels off into flat ice rink... until you hit the ice wall with a Bastion on top. Once you clear that hurdle, it is easy sailing forever afterwards.

Just remember that teamwork is key, and hero switching is part of the game, and you ought to be fine. More or less.

Blues1990

So I'm really bad at shooters, but I'm having a lot of fun here.

My aiming is really bad (especially since I'm on console :( ) so I stick with support, mostly Lucio with a bit of Mercy. Though I really wanna use Winston since his weapon is auto-aim but I'm having a lot of issue on knowing what to do exactly to do to help my team. Any tips for him? I try to stick with my team and activating the barrier if necessary, but I don't feel like I'm contributing much outside that.

• Winston is actually the perfect tank for new players, as unlike for Reinhard, Winston is used when you need to be able to get into an enemy's backline and break them up for your team to move in.
  • His Tesla Cannon causes continual damage in a cone in front of Winston, so long as the primary fire button is held down. And while his Barrier Projector is a lot weaker than Reinhardt's shield, it's still capable of absorbing a good amount of damage.
  • Winston is squishier than he seems, so don't say in one place. Use his Jump Pack to constantly engage and disengage, retreating when you get low on Health. Memorize the location of large Health Packs, as this will help you get back to fighting more quickly.
  • As for Primal Rage, only use it when you need to force an enemy team away from a position. Keep in mind that your health will be restored when PR is used, so try to delay "Going Ape" until you're low on health to maximize the amount of time you spend in the fight.

If you play Mei, you sometimes mess up your team. It's OK to admit it.

You just have to try your best to be a net positive for your team and I will still dislike you but I won't hate you with every fibre of my being.

I don't know why, but this comes across as being hilariously passive-aggressive. "You're doing great, buuuuuut I'll never like you. I won't hate you, per say..."

It just sounded like you ran into a whole bunch of assholes.

Yeah I can't say I've ran into any of that.

It's every 2-3 games when I meet with the worst of the worst. Even when I leave to search for a new game, I just get the worst luck and get another bunch of dickholes that will ruin my mood.

XenoRaven

Well she is a defensive player, she sets up defenses. There are hero's that easily counter all of her abilities, she isn't that strong.
He literally says in the post that he knows how to beat her.

The argument against Mei isn't that she's too strong. It's that she's not fun to fight. She's annoying.

Woudlnt say she is that strong necessarily, just super annoying. If the freeze heal didnt last so long, i dont think id have as big of an issue with her honestly.

hydruxo

I'm feeling like Ilios is the worst map in the game. It's far too difficult for the point to be recaptured, there's no reason to play any support but Lucio, large portions of the map aren't even used. It's just a mess.

I agree that it sucks large portions of the map aren't used, but I like Ilios overall. For me, Hanamura is my least favorite. It's just really cramped and I just don't have much fun on that map.

She's become incredibly strong with the Widow nerf. A lot of people using hitscan characters like 76 and McCree seem to not shoot her while she's flying either. I don't get it.
high dmg falloff on both

hardest counter right now is still widow since you basically need the 1 shot kill vs her to shut down the massive dps.
Smooth As Silk - Secured :3

god damnit dude lmao add me

Ghost#110758

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for not accepting your game invite last night! I was only on for one or two rounds before bed. I think I actually got put into a game with you right before I stopped and probably froze you a few times with Mei.
Sorry about that too lol.

Hey no worries! Sorry for the invite spam. I was actually in a pretty salty mood that evening, so I'm glad you weren't on my team to witness it, haha.

Do you use a mic btw? I'll usually only use one if I'm trying to group with people, as sometimes it feels like I'm the only one talking amongst Japanese players...

Jumping into those Hanzo ults with Zarya like,

There's just not a better feeling in this game than becoming a fully charged terror.

Yes! Let the dragon consume me. All over my face.

So question: does anyone take personal responsibility for a loss or poor performance or is it "shit team gg noobs"?

I sometimes feel responsible when I'm tanking or healing on the point, we hold it for most of the match, and then I die and we immediately lose it. Kinda half bragging, but it's starting to happen frequently and I'm feeling more and more pressure to perform well in pubs =/

Those are good tips. I've been rolling with Zarya lately, and as long as you pick her when you have aggressive teammates on your team like D.Va, Genji, 76, Road or Tracer (or reliable energy-giving enemies like Trob, Road, Bastion), you'll always have plenty of energy available. If you have a bunch of passive picks like Trob, Hanzo, Junk and Widow or unlikely-to-be-hit picks like Pharah on the team, your energy will be chronically low. You don't want to pick her in these scenarios.

Good point. Big targets that are gonna make your barriers sing!

Now I feel bad for taking new characters into Freeplay right away. I usually start with a character I already know how to play and if the team is complete shit and I know I won't be able to carry it anyway I just switch to a character I wanna learn.

Which is probably not the best mentality lol, but I feel like I learn characters best under pressure.

It's all good, everyone's got their own routine! I recommend at least taking the time to learn Lucio, who seems to work (or is at least appreciated) in almost any map/team comp. That way, I can practice with whoever I like and then if things are looking dire I can switch to him to save some face.

Currently learning Reinhardt for when D.Va or Zarya don't cut it. It's best to have at least one or two heroes from each class so you can adapt to a variety of situations. I really need to get some more defense heroes in my repertoire. A good Torb or Bastion can cause nightmares on defense, so those are probably worth picking up.

I agree that it sucks large portions of the map aren't used, but I like Ilios overall. For me, Hanamura is my least favorite. It's just really cramped and I just don't have much fun on that map.

hanamura B is so fucking hard to cap unless you manage an initial bumrush right after A

if the defense gets set up fugettaboutit

Firebrand

How to get me to drop my shield as Reinhard when you're my enemy: Sort of line up in front of me. I cannot resist. Chargeeeeee... oh I missed every one of you and now I'm alone behind you. Well, this is awkward.

Gator86

She's become incredibly strong with the Widow nerf. A lot of people using hitscan characters like 76 and McCree seem to not shoot her while she's flying either. I don't get it.

Pharah is ignored almost entirely on console sometimes. The crappier aiming makes it a pain in the ass to look up and try to track her flying around directly above you. Her life expectancy outside of PC must be multiples of that version, where she's shot down near immediately, I'd guess. A Pharah and Mercy combo who know what they doing on console is absolute hell.

So from what I have been reading. D.Va will get a buff, and Phara and Torb will get a nerf. If you listen to feedback that is.

+D.Va
-Phara
-Torb

I really dont know if Phara is an issue to be honest though. I think people just dont shoot at her because theyre not that great.

Mcree is still pretty decent, and so is Widow. The problem before was that people playing them werent really skilled in the first place.

There's no reason to nerf Pharah. Her splash damage is very modest and she's countered by 3 heroes who are not particularly hard to use.

I'd like hero stacking to just not exist. Quickplay has already been descending into double Winston bullshit, and I'm already really tired of having to pick Roadhog.

If they nerf Torb I hope it's to his ult and maybe his turret. If they lower the damage on his rivet gun he'd be less fun to play.

I would say the detection rate for his turret is too high. Thing has auto-aim or something. Get behind it and you have to have a dance with the thing while it shoots you. Pretty much impossible to kill with Tracer unless you have grenade.

Phara is suppose to be a counter to it, and she also has to do a little dance with it while it shoots her.

Canucked

I go sucked into a full Torn party on defense. I didn't want to but the flashing torn icons seemed insistent... And we annihilated.

I let down my family...
I let don't the community..

I had a little fun doing it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
To kill most Pharah's all you have to do is aim in their general direction. If you really need to take her down go Dad 76.

aeolist

Banned
Pharah is ignored almost entirely on console sometimes. The crappier aiming makes it a pain in the ass to look up and try to track her flying around directly above you. Her life expectancy outside of PC must be multiples of that version, where she's shot down near immediately, I'd guess. A Pharah and Mercy combo who know what they doing on console is absolute hell.
lol nope

pc players have trouble with rockets showering on them from the sky too

high dmg falloff on both

hardest counter right now is still widow since you basically need the 1 shot kill vs her to shut down the massive dps.
Oh I fully agree, but it's become less lop-sided since it's harder to quickscope to stay mobile while fighting her.

As for 76/McCree, some damage is better than no damage. I just see too many people refusing to shoot her.
Yeah it's pretty easy to point and shoot at her while she's flying on PC. I imagine she's a lot more dominant on console due to analog aiming.

GunnerZ

There's no reason to nerf Pharah. Her splash damage is very modest and she's countered by 3 heroes who are not particularly hard to use.

I'd like hero stacking to just not exist. Quickplay has already been descending into double Winston bullshit, and I'm already really tired of having to pick Roadhog.
I agree she doesn't need a nerf she's perfectly fine the way she is I think. But you know who needs a nerf the most annoying character even worst the Mei....fucking Hanzo.

Yeah i cant speak for console. I have no issues with Phara on PC. People still tend to ignore her, but again i think thats a user problem, and not a problem with her.

Blizzard will do balance patches differently on PC and Console, so if she is a problem on console she may get adjusted on there.

Zemm

On PC I think it's pretty balanced right now, if anything I'd probably nerf Widowmaker a bit more (less health maybe?) because that first nerf was so minor and barely did anything.

I single handily stop the other team from moving the payload for 3 mins when they were murdering my team left and right and got no love at the end. Mei underrated.

Ah, right. I keep forgetting about the emoticons that each character has. I can't remember when I had to use it, if ever. And I thought she's incredibly apologetic whenever she uses the "Sorry, sorry. I'm sorry! Sorry..." line?
These are the only complaints I hadnplaying as her. No one called her a pink haired lesbo. Yet.

American server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom