• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're playing Symmetra and you give someone shields, their character automatically thanks you. Not sure about Torbjorn.
Yeah, but you can also request it. I think if you're looking at them and request healing (which is X on PC by default) it asks for shields or armor respectively.

My experience has always been that random Symmetras either shields everyone at the start of the game or never do, though. But random Symmetras tends to be competent, I've found. Except for the occasional weird attack Symmetra choice.

Firebrand

I'm getting worse at this game.

I wish I understood how people actually got kills with McCree's ult, everytime I think I got the drop on them they either just run, shield up, or simply kill me, hah.

Wow, it probably would for me, too. I mean, it's not as bad as the "you should have died in Orlando" thing (which is disgusting) but really, it seems the Overwatch community is pretty bad.

Kinda glad I don't have to endure a text chat.

I should really just not play with randoms anymore. Thankfully I have a number of friends playing but sometimes I just want to jump on and play and no one is on :p

Thankfully that kind of behavior has only happened a handful of times and that was the worst one directed at me. Just...ridiculous how serious people take these games.

Mendrox

It's amazing how I almost never saw shittalking in about 35 hours of play time. Am I just lucky? My mains are D.va, Mercy, Solider 76, Reinhardt and Roadhog. Well I play everything except for Hanzo/Genji (both suck) so I guess I am just lucky.

PatjuhR

If you're playing Symmetra and you give someone shields, their character automatically thanks you. Not sure about Torbjorn.

I know about that automatic thanks.

But I had this Widowmaker who said she needed a shield immediately after the respawned. Maybe that's automated aswell.

I wish I understood how people actually got kills with McCree's ult, everytime I think I got the drop on them they either just run, shield up, or simply kill me, hah.
Never use it while facing them unless you're very confident their health is low (because they're squishy, or hurt, or both). Wait for a teamfight where they're distracted, then do it from behind, or above, or both. You can also coordinate with teammates to get protection while you're drawing. Lucio overheal, shields from tanks, etc.

LiK

You need to be sneaky. Basically most of the successful McCree Ults require you to hide behind the enemy team where they don't notice you so you can get the drop on them. I've managed to get 3 at most and I had to do it from a platform where the enemy team didn't see me.

R0ckman

Gotta come from behind, where they cant clearly see you or when the team is in shambles.

Yeah, but you can also request it. I think if you're looking at them and request healing (which is X on PC by default) it asks for shields or armor respectively.

My experience has always been that random Symmetras either shields everyone at the start of the game or never do, though. But random Symmetras tends to be competent, I've found. Except for the occasional weird attack Symmetra choice.

That's so oddly specific. I don't see how anyone is supposed to figure that out on their own.

Kamion

The only "shit talking" I had on PS4 was someone who left his mic on and in the end when we lost (mostly because the other team was just better, we weren't particularly bad) said "fucking idiots" into his mic - to himself though, not really directed at us :D

It was more comedic than hurtful to me.

CoLaN

Had a game where I switched to a desperation Junkrat to stop the enemy team on Dorado after they had steam-rolled the rest of the way. Started getting "junkrat you are cancer" "spam more" etc. messages, but we still lost. Then the random on our team piped up with "our junkrat didn't do shit anyway."

After I defended myself, this escalated to my random teammate telling me I was a fag and he wished I had died in the Pulse nightclub.

Community definitely seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

I have a really bad feeling about Competitive mode.

For some reason a lot of people seem to think that it will be some sort of exclusive club, making their Overwatch experience better... but there is no barrier of entry, it will probably be a lot more toxic.

nobody seems to talk on PC. at least in my experience so far. all i get is "gg" at the end of a game lol.

a few times now i've seen someone with a mic but i can't hear them when the notification appears to say they are.

For some reason a lot of people seem to think that it will be some sort of exclusive club, making their Overwatch experience better... but there is no barrier of entry, it will probably be a lot more toxic.
Maybe, but in my experience super-competitive players tends to be more confident in their abilities and just get on with things, win or lose. Similarly, super-casual players tend to not care if they win or lose and just have fun.

Toxicity seems to occur in that middle zone, where people think of themselves as good and really want to win, but have mixed results.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is why you should just friend request all the cool people you encounter playing Overwatch when in random groups, then just invite all of them to party up over and over again. That way, A) You build a strong closeknit group and B) Avoid the toxicity

Rad-

Get behind them in an open area. For example when defending Gibraltar, there's a great high ledge across the final point, above a health pack. This spot gives 3+ kills every time. It's also really easy to sneak there as a defending McCree.

i will give ranked a go when it's out. at first i was a bit frustrated that i had so many defeats but honestly at this point i don't care win or lose. sure i want to get better and win more games but i'm not gonna get pissed about it. the game is incredibly fun even it does end in a defeat.

Waxwing

I have to imagine these are outliers. I play on US servers- 24 hours logged so far. Worst I've seen is mild trash talk. "Ez...you guys suck". (And someone on the same team then told them to take it easy.)

aeolist

Banned
i've never been able to get the "directed" chatwheel to work, like looking at someone and asking for healing or saying hello. no matter how i try to aim at them it always just puts out the general chat.

not a big deal really but i've been experimenting with it over the last few days and have had zero success.

i've never been able to get the "directed" chatwheel to work, like looking at someone and asking for healing or saying hello. no matter how i try to aim at them it always just puts out the general chat.

not a big deal really but i've been experimenting with it over the last few days and have had zero success.

I thought it was just me and that I had some sort of mental block keeping me from doing it right.

"Understood."
"Understood."
"My Ultimate is Charging!"
klsadjfklasdjfkjasd;kfjaskldjfkdasj

"Hello."

LiK

Win or lose, if people are just joking around and having a good time, it's a blast.

When people start taking it too seriously and start whining then it's detrimental. Not saying it's anyone here. Usually it's just other people I've encountered in party chat when I join in.

jeemer

I'm pretty sure I've seen it. Or I need shields. Something like that.

I think it happens if you're looking at Torbjorn/Symmetra.

I think if you're looking at them and request healing (which is X on PC by default) it asks for shields or armor respectively.

I'm fairly certain you don't have to be looking at them or anywhere near them, and it's contextual for the listener. If you ask for healing, lucio/mercy will hear a request for heals and torbs/symm will hear a request for shields at the same time. It just sounds like a healing request to the person requesting though.

Mupod

the only time that shit talking got to me was when I got super frustrated by our team of no-tanks all-flankers/snipers. It was clearly a group of 4-5 and they lost their shit on me for swapping off Mercy to stall the payload in a match we were going to lose horribly anyways. To the point where they were looking up my stats (because those matter apparently?). I then just kept playing S76 when they refused to switch off hanzo/genji etc in the next round, actually played my ass off and got gold elims/damage. POTG was literally just an ulting Winston knocking me off the edge of Route 66 for some reason, which was funny to me but this set them off even more saying I was the reason they lost.

Then I got switched to the other team. And proceeded to steamroll them. Nothing in this game has felt better than that so bring on the trash talkers, I say.

Asmodai48

nobody seems to talk on PC. at least in my experience so far. all i get is "gg" at the end of a game lol.

a few times now i've seen someone with a mic but i can't hear them when the notification appears to say they are.

Pretty much. I never see any trolling on PC.

zoukka

Wow my pub matches today were broken. Everyone just left after first push failed in multiple games. The pub community is collapsing I fear. The penalties for leaving do nothing in their current state. They need to start administrating hard timeouts like now.

Waxwing

Wow my pub matches today were broken. Everyone just left after first push failed in multiple games. The pub community is collapsing I fear. The penalties for leaving do nothing in their current state. They need to start administrating hard timeouts like now.

That's disappointing...matches are so short! Why not stick with it? I've seen some pretty amazing and unexpected comebacks.

Zemm

Not that I can find. I tried to disable it after I got cussed at told to kill myself for daring to call out my team for having 3 reapers.

When in a match press P and click the icon next to match chat, it'll remove all match chat for that session but you'll need to do it everytime you start up the game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Same. The trolling or "outraged" people seems pretty rare in my experience. Thankfully.

I've yet to kill two people at once with a Deadeye. It sucks, as I could overlook his extreme nerfing if I could regularly get 2 or 3 kills with his ultra. :-(

sometimes when youre in a group and you pray they match you with shittier group so you can win.

I know this feel.

We had a match the other day where we were playing with a smurf account group. They were all the same level, 19 or 20, with skins that were white: white McCree, Reinhardt, etc. They were clearly emulating pro scene strategies.

We were kind of like the Bad News Bears. We had our victories, at times, but man was it just generally not fun to play against. Pro strategies are boring as fuck. Nothing's more fun in this game than distilled chaos.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Met the legendary 2 widow on attack phenomenon today, thankfully it was on the opposing team trying to attack volskaya. They came surprisingly close actually. They had an attack torb too just to sweeten the deal.

Also I think people are cottoning to the fact that you just fucking rush to point B when you know point A will be captured, and then more often than not you'll just take them in a quick stomp. Pubs just can't adjust fast enough.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else starting to question why they play this game? Coming up to 100 hours and I'm getting more and more annoyed by things, especially dying to random bullshit. I dunno, I'm just not enjoying it at all right now.

Antiwhippy

Always take a break when you feel that way. Either you'll reset your expectations or realise if you want to continue or not.

Interfectum

Is anyone else starting to question why they play this game? Coming up to 100 hours and I'm getting more and more annoyed by things, especially dying to random bullshit. I dunno, I'm just not enjoying it at all right now.

I had some of the best games I've ever played last night just solo queuing. But I'm only 50 hours or so in.

In the last 20 matches I lost about 15 or 16. It's getting impossible, PS4 here. As my level gets higher, people seem to play worse and worse. I mean, fuck objectives, why even bother.

It's hilarious and sad at the same time to see your team assemble and think "yep, it will take them less than 2 minutes to capture the point" or "maybe we will push the car to the second checkpoint."

I love this game but man, it very frustrating sometimes.

MaxiLive

Win or lose, if people are just joking around and having a good time, it's a blast.

When people start taking it too seriously and start whining then it's detrimental. Not saying it's anyone here. Usually it's just other people I've encountered in party chat when I join in.

Awww yeah, all about having a ball even if your squad is getting totally smashed, need to make the most of those mini heroic moments even if it is just one kill :p

I've been playing with a few friends and its often fine but sometimes we play with this other dude who is just a little too serious and invested in each game. Even just stating the fact that our squad got owned during one game was enough to make them flip out...

PatjuhR

I'm keeping some heroes on the side atm.

A bit because they don't speak to me as much but also for when I get the "what am I doing with my Overwatch" life.

I have about zero playtime with Zarya, Mei, Mercy and Winston and I will play them like I'm fresh when I'm a bit fed up with the game.

Don't think that is soon tho. Still enjoying every moment.

Interfectum

I'm keeping some heroes on the side atm.

A bit because they don't speak to me as much but also for when I get the "what am I doing with my Overwatch" life.

I have about zero playtime with Zarya, Mei, Mercy and Winston and I will play them like I'm fresh when I'm a bit fed up with the game.

Don't think that is soon tho. Still enjoying every moment.

I just busted out Winston this weekend. He's one of the most fun heroes I've played. I was like "why haven't I picked this guy sooner?"

Yeah, I typically play with the same folks from PS4 GAF, so it's nice as win or lose, it makes for a better experience.

Sometimes if I know Ill only be on for a match or two, Ill do some pub games by myself, which matchmaking loves to throw me in on the all Genji/Hanzo teams of the world! Haha

Interfectum

In the last 20 matches I lost about 15 or 16. It's getting impossible, PS4 here. As my level gets higher, people seem to play worse and worse. I mean, fuck objectives, why even bother.

I've noticed higher level pub players either seem to have the attitude "I'm picking this hero because I'm the best with this hero, you pick something else" or they are achievement hunting.

Antiwhippy

Been seriously picking up zen recently and I've so far managed to raise my W/L with him from 5% to 44%.

He is seriously a ton of fun.

Also transcendence is a great fuck you to gravity well combos.

I'll feel that way for a little bit when I have a bad run of games. But then you hit that match where everything just seems to line up right, and the adrenaline rush you get as you just barely pull out that clutch win... it's worth the misery of 3-4 losses in a row for me to get that feeling.

I just busted out Winston this weekend. He's one of the most fun heroes I've played. I was like "why haven't I picked this guy sooner?"

Yeah, usually I default to D.Va when I'm playing the tank role, but a few matches back on a KOTH she just wasn't working, and I thought, "Hey, why not Winston?" Ended coming up from a loss in the first round to pull it off, with a few good uses of Winston's alt keeping the enemy off the point and just barely getting the win. Definitely pulling Winston out more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom