• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

Wait what? You have to have +50% winrate to join competitive? I am at 53% and that will obviously change. Do I get locked-out of competitive or what? I am relatively new to the game with just 73 games and being level 18 (have to reach 25 to join competitive).

You have to be within 50 skill rating of your friends to group with them in ranked.

Wait what? You have to have +50% winrate to join competitive? I am at 53% and that will obviously change. Do I get locked-out of competitive or what? I am relatively new to the game with just 73 games and being level 18 (have to reach 25 to join competitive).

no, nothing to do with win percentage, it is about queuing up with friends and if there is too big of a gap, you can't play.

So for example, on a scale of 1-100, and you are seen at 23 and your friend is at 58, you two cannot queue up together.

anyone else not able to log into PTR? is it at capacity?

losing and getting worked up is less fun than losing
Not really. It's about the same. They both aren't fun.

And I only get worked up when people just don't know how to play an objective based game. The matches where that happens are already significantly less fun than a match where everyone on my team does their best and just ends up losing.

What? Where are you reading that.

All I see is

You must be at least level 25 to play competitive, be within 50 skill rating of your friends, and not be banned.

MxCwbiJ.gif

XxXReApEr420XxX: Make a new competitive mode so I can pair up with similarly skilled players so I can get to at least a 60% win rate

Blizzard: OoOoOOh! Can DOOO!!!

**ONE WEEK LATER**

XxXReApEr420XxX: WTF, why am I still getting paired with shitty teammates? I thought blizzard fixed this shit! NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING, I just spawn killed 2 of their players, why isn't my team on the point!

Blizzard: You asked to be paired to your skill level, maybe it's not your teammates, MAYBE, it's YOU!!

9nWGFcr.gif

ISOM

no, nothing to do with win percentage, it is about queuing up with friends and if there is too big of a gap, you can't play.

So for example, on a scale of 1-100, and you are seen at 23 and your friend is at 58, you two cannot queue up together.

How do you find this number?

Lemstar

have the people complaining about ~broken matchmaking~ and bad teammates never played Dota or League or something

how was it no immediately obvious the first time anyone played Overwatch that a team game heavily dependent on coordination and team synergy is going to be frustrating when played with random people of completely indeterminable skill level

I bloody hate modern anti-social gaming.

Three gamers in my apartment, one PS4, one gaming PC. Split screen would be amazing, but apparently no one has real life friends anymore. Hated it when destiny did it, too

doesn't exist yet, will be a part of the competitive games.

10 placement games then you get a skill rating and you go from there.

It is Blizzard''s way of telling you politely that you suck.

Three gamers in my apartment, one PS4, one gaming PC. Split screen would be amazing, but apparently no one has real life friends anymore. Hated it when destiny did it, too

We gather up every weekend and the only thing that worked is having a wiiu and troll people in Mario Party. We can set up few PCs for Overwatch and other coop/multiplayer games, but that would be expensive (still no split screen). A lot of new multiplayer games are leaving split-screen too like Halo 5. Speaking of the latter, my cousin bought one just so that we play split screen (for the sake of nostalgia). The idiot didn't even read up on Halo 5 not having split screen lol.

DryvBy

Friend of mine is talking to me about the console version of Overwatch and I just need some clarification. I've been on vacation and felt this game was extremely balanced.

1) A full team of Torb is OP based on where they. Apparently there's some data supporting this.

2) Controls are broken and Blizzard has acknowledged it.

I've played on every platform and I just don't really see that.

Ferrio

Banned

There's hardware constraints to take into account when doing splitscreen, uses more resources. May of not be possible period on PS4 or atleast not up to Blizz's standards.

Mupod

are the placement matches going to be forced solo?

On the one hand I don't play this game to take it seriously...but on the other hand I can't help it. I'm definitely trying harder than my friends are most of the time, I'm the only one who swaps to counter for example. Most of them stick to 2-3 characters and only change based on attack/defense/KOTH maps.

I could see competitive going very well or very badly for me. If they start listening to my ideas for team compositons I know we'll do well because they are very good players. If we treat competitive like we do quick play...well, maybe I'll be able to get a golden gun for one character at least.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LATAMGAF should try to run one of those, but I'm not sure there's already 12 of us :p

I played with a latino bro the other day... cant remember his PSN Id :(
But im always up for some Pharahwatch after work.

TheYanger

What? You don't have to have 50% winrate to play competitive. Not even sure what you're misreading, amybe the 50 skill within friends? that's just saying you can't have your low tier and high tier friends queue together because it's too fucked for matchmaking in that mode.

i remember the days of split screen multiplayer back in Halo 3 where you would see a guest on your team and instantly be resigned to losing horribly.

It bothers me that it seems like if I'm not playing one of my "best" characters, I seem to lose A LOT. And my best characters really only consist of Tracer, Zarya, and Roadhog.

I try to switch to needed roles and but just seem to get crushed when not playing my usual guys.

http://imgur.com/vmpCEn8

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This quote from reddit:

As a huge fan of Dota, it's dead-on. Valve seems deathly afraid to say anything because of "bad communication" but they need to realize there is a right way to do it.

The Key here is that the Overwatch team is always reminding people that things change and that development is never done. ie: Competitive Mode.
They've earned the community turst for sure.
Also if people bitch too much they can remove our waifus :(

chang-squinting.gif

Cuz you're cutting off half the viewable area. Two players on one team with a massive handicap by default? No thank you.

It bothers me that it seems like if I'm not playing one of my "best" characters, I seem to lose A LOT. And my best characters really only consist of Tracer, Zarya, and Roadhog.

I try to switch to needed roles and but just seem to get crushed when not playing my usual guys.

Just gonna go out on a limb and say that when you personally feel pressured out of your comfort zone, the game has already turned into a dumpster fire and the loss is all but guaranteed.

Maybe.

I dunno.

mbpm1

maybe you just need to have more time with those other characters

Also if people bitch too much they can remove our waifus :(

Too late, our waifus will live on
in fan art/animation

chang-squinting.gif

Cuz you're cutting off half the viewable area. Two players on one team with a massive handicap by default? No thank you.

Oh I see

mbpm1

Well I'm sure you are right. Just have a lot of characters with 10+ losses and no wins. Seems like I'm being rude by picking them and pushing our team's odds of winning down.

Eh, don't worry, as long as you're going for the objective/not picking obviously out of place characters I wouldn't worry

Unless you're in a toxic game but that's rough either way

chang-squinting.gif

lol perfect gif, rip community

I'll also add that in a game without a minimap telling you where enemies are, you need to rely on sound more than usual. How can you even tell whats going on when you're hearing the sound of two POVs at the same time? Your situational awareness would be cut to shit, and in a FPS that's incredibly big handicap.

Ramirez

By the way, since console updates are slower, will we get ranked/comp mode later, too?

That would really, really suck. I am so ready for competitive.

Split screen blows, hope I never have to experience guests on my team in a MP game ever again, TBH.

chang-squinting.gif

Just gonna go out on a limb and say that when you personally feel pressured out of your comfort zone, the game has already turned into a dumpster fire and the loss is all but guaranteed.

Maybe.

I dunno.

Playing against the A.I helps with basics and aiming only. Quick play is going to be the next training mode probably if it doesn't affect competitive matchmaking that much; kinda like CS:GO quick play where you get warmed up.

Gnomist

Description said:
Seems like I'm being rude by picking them and pushing our team's odds of winning down.

Yeah, I get that feeling too but sometimes you just need to suck it up and roll with a character to get a good feel for how they play and how well you gel with their ability set. Sure, half your team might log on to gaf to complain about someone on their team that wasn't playing perfectly or picking the "correct" character but experience is the best way to learn. Maybe try picking a character from each category and just using the one that fits your current group's needs to have a better chance of helping them out?

mbpm1

Idk if this is old news or something, but apparently there was a Kroean female pro gamer who was so good that people thought she was hacking. Two peeps were so sure she was hacking they said they'd quit if she was legit.

She was legit.

...WINKYFACE?

Zemm

Having to be within 50 skill rating of your friends to queue up gives me hope that competitive mode will actually provide some nicely balanced games.

ekim

Wtf is up with some players? Playing Hollywood on Attack. I'm picking Mercy but my team is completely stuck at the first choke point. I can't even heal them effectively because they don't stick together and don't even think about looking after me. So I decided to switch to Genji. One round in after 2 minutes I had 3 Gold medals including objective time, objective kills and kills and I cleared the fucking turret that saved the capture point and killed some enemies as well. What is my team doing? They go behind the next big door and don't even think about capturing the point with me so we can progress. I was so mad. Of course we lost. And the biggest question mark here is that they all were lvl 50+

Eh, don't worry, as long as you're going for the objective/not picking obviously out of place characters I wouldn't worry

Unless you're in a toxic game but that's rough either way

Yea, I might go all in with working on my "bad" characters the next day or two and see how that goes.

I think my problem now is that I've gotten pretty good with my "best" characters and it's placed me in a highish MMR which I certainly don't belong in with the other characters.

I try to play Genji but I don't kill anyone. What's up?

He's kinda difficult to get the hang of. His fan does twice as much damage as his three round burst, so take advantage of that close in, particularly against tanks. Fan->Melee->Quick Strike is a very bursty combo, and if you use it on a weakened opponent, you'll probably kill them, which results in an immediately reset quickstrike. You're super mobile so try to harass them from the back, going for healers, snipers, and wounded targets trying to regen. If you see someone who can open you up with a disable like McCree or Roadhog, don't be afraid to retreat. If you see Mei's smiling little face coming for you with that ice beam, quick strike away. You don't want none of her shit.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I feel the same, though I'm a Lucio, Torb and Junkrat player. I just figure that I need more time with other characters. There are some I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom