• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satch

Banned
last night me and Dreams-Visions played in this one lobby that was absolutely hilarious

lots of all-chat BM (in good fun) and i got some additions to friends list from people on both sides
it was great

Mozendo

Those rankings do not matter. Once Competitive Mode is up, you'll start earning a skill rating that does matter.

I know rank doesn't mean player skills but it does matter, I'm an average player I still don't know which hero I play best so I'm trying them out one by one, but obviously a rank 32 (currently the lowest ranked player in the match I'm in) is going to know more about the game and how to counter heroes and so will his higher ranked team mates.

Baliis

We should have some GAF scrims where attackers try to break a 5 man torb

Not GAF v GAF, but I've def played against torb stacks with a full GAF group and we steamrolled over it with like two S76, rein, and a widow plus whatever I can't remember.

S76 is a great counter to torb that I don't think people use often enough. Self healing let's him keep pressure up where someone else would have to back up, rockets do a ton of damage + hit scan weapon super easy to hit the turret with means you'll kill super fast, sprint to bail on a push if they start ulting.

last night me and Dreams-Visions played in this one lobby that was absolutely hilarious

lots of all-chat BM (in good fun) and i got some additions to friends list from people on both sides
it was great

We were in a 6gaf vs 3 GAF 3pubs last night with this dude named "wienerman" that was just flipping his shit after every match, and everyone was trolling him, was good stuff

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Its very much a real problem. Teams of Torbjorns are just plain broken. As it stands now, the meta on consoles is to have a bare minimum of two Torbjorns and a Symmetra on defense. The optimum set up is four Torbs, Sym, and a Lucio. Now its definitely not as effective on all the maps but maps like both the second points of Volskaya and Anubis can become nigh impenetrable fortresses. So long as the Torbjorns are alternating their ults and set up their turrets to cover one another they can absolutely make choke points next to impossible to get through since Torbjorn gets his ult so damn fast that it means your guaranteed to have to deal with at least one level 3 turret and a very angry dwarf at all times. Symmetra's teleporter also insures that if anyone of the Torbs die they're back in the fray in seconds. Her Sentries can really make a push through choke points come to a near stop and leave the opposing team to stop and try and destroy her turrets, leaving the enemy open to Torbjorns turrets. Also, if the Torbjorns get the high ground they can essentially use their guns primary fire as a sniper rifle if they're a good aim. Throwing a lucio into the mix can shut down an enemy teams push by using his ult and negating pretty much all their damage, and buffing already incredibly strong molten cored Torbs. Also, with that many Torbs you basically have near infinite armor packs littering the point. Meaning that there is essentially free health packs all over the place beefing up the team during any skirmish with the enemy on, or near, the point.

Edit: Not to mention how fast Torbs can put up his turret, it doesn't matter how many you destroy it just doesn't matter unless you kill both the turret and Torb at the same time. But even then they'll respawn in no time and use their ult and Put up a brand new level 3 turret on the point. Its bullshit.

I apologize for the wall of text there but this is a BIG problem and its something Blizz needs to address soon.

Even when a Torb team steamrolls the competition on Hanamura or Volskaya and the voting cards are all red, no one votes them up/they never get 5 votes. That's because even the team who won knows they were being extremely cheap with their tactics.

Salarians

CkXN8mTUkAAWTA6

Nazo

Yeah......

so many torbs are so annoying...

That being said, counters would be Zarya, and maybe Winston, perhaps a Widowmaker to take turrets out, and Reinhart. Something like that

Trust me, as someone who's been on both sides of that situation it just isn't feasible.

Zarya's barrier doesn't last long enough to be effective, though having a team of five Zarya's with a Lucio or Mercy could possibly work but I'm not super confident.

Winston's bubble shield just folds from the turret fire and with that many turrets you have little chance to get to destroy them or their Torb.

Reinhardt is just useless in that situation, his shield breaks almost instantly from all the turret fire and a smart Torb will try and rush behind him and hit him with his alternate fire, especially if their molten core'd.

Widow has a real hard time since, smart Torb teams will place their turrets in view of any potential snier spots and since Torbs primary fire is so accurate he can essentially counter snipe Widows and Hanzos.

It's just a shit situation all around.

PS4 Turret just tracks too damn fast. Range could use a slight nerf too. Either one could be slightly adjusted on console. Not as much an issue with a good team. With randoms and more than one torb it's a bit frustrating.

To be fair, almost any match with randoms is frustrating since everyone goes all COD and rushes in by them-self over and over.

Salarians

My favorite thing: I'm playing Mercy or Lucio and helping to push the payload with three other teammates, and a Genji flying around on the other side of the map spams "I need healing".

Moonkid

Is there a GAF PS4 league? How can I get an invite to it? Pretty done playing with randoms.
There's a community which you can join, I think it's called Overwatch Gaf squad or something like that. The exact title is in the OP if you can't find it :) Don't forget to add yourself to the Google doc either if you haven't already. And add me! Psn: Moon_k1d

Zemm

Earlier we had a convo about who Zarya's hard counter was?

Well, the answer is Roadhog.

Is he? As Zarya I like coming up against roadhogs because they give me high energy from the hooks and are incredibly easy to beam down because of his huge hitbox. It seems a pretty even fight from my experience.

Nazo

Even when a Torb team steamrolls the competition on Hanamura or Volskaya and the voting cards are all red, no one votes them up/they never get 5 votes. That's because even the team who won knows they were being extremely cheap with their tactics.

The thing that kills me is that sometimes when a Torb team wins I'v seen them all quit just so they didn't have to play offense on that map. Its so lame, because they know they'ed have to deal with the same bullshit they put the attackers through.

Zaventem

My opinon is zarya counters are hitscan characters. Anything with travel distance can be reliably bubbled. It much easier to not feed her when you can stop immediately.

People misusing a feature.

I wouldn't say that. Sometimes you feel like a player is inhumanly good, and you just don't want to play against them. There's already Widowmaker aimbotters running around to deal with; if I somehow bumped into a match with one of the best Hitscan Snipers in the game, even if they're legitimate, I'd probably want to avoid them because that's way beyond my tier. The game's not going to be fun if they're constantly picking my team and I off like Whack-a-Mole.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Is he? As Zarya I like coming up against roadhogs because they give me high energy from the hooks and are incredibly easy to beam down because of his huge hitbox. It seems a pretty even fight from my experience.

From my experience playing Roadhog, the minute a Zarya sees me she around a corner she pops the bubble skill in anticipation of me shooting. I don't shoot, wait for the bubble to expire while she's shooting me with an uncharged laser, hook, then take a shot and melee, leaving her with about 50-75 health left for a killing blow or shot. And she isn't fast enough to run away from it or bubble again.

However, this is very situational and mainly happens when either A. My team is shooting her teammates so that her teammates aren't shooting at me or B. It's a 1v1 situation(since these moments happen sometimes).

The thing that kills me is that sometimes when a Torb team wins I'v seen them all quit just so they didn't have to play offense on that map. Its so lame, because they know the'ed have to deal with the same bullshit they put the attackers through.

You're exactly on point. It's shameful/cowardly and they know it is.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Cool, some guy just said i'm a beast.

Didn't really do anything special, just some nice Widow shots lol.

aeolist

Banned
I wouldn't say that. Sometimes you feel like a player is inhumanly good, and you just don't want to play against them. There's already Widowmaker aimbotters running around to deal with; if I somehow bumped into a match with one of the best Hitscan Snipers in the game, even if they're legitimate, I'd probably want to avoid them because that's way beyond my tier. The game's not going to be fun if they're constantly picking my team and I off like Whack-a-Mole.

but if enough people do that the good players basically don't get to use quick play anymore

i used avoid for some really shitty people but i get why they're removing it and think it's fine

Just played a few qualifying rounds of competitive on PTR. Not enough to actually earn a ranking, but got one lopsided win (like VERY lopsided), one less lopsided loss, and one that ended in a tiebreaker where we lost. It's pretty neat, and they've made a bunch of tweaks to the different play modes that are interesting:

- You play all three rounds of KOTH no matter how both teams are doing; we won all three rounds and the game didn't end after round 2.
- The two-point games swap sides, and if you didn't manage to take the first point when you're attacking, you immediately lose if the other team takes it when they're attacking.
- Payload seems to take into account the number of checkpoints you hit. It MIGHT also take into account the time it took to get there (basically the stopwatch mode seen in pro play) but not enough info to know.

The tiebreaker game I played was Payload, where both teams managed to push the payload all the way. Our team was slower, and our team got picked to attack in sudden death, but it's not clear to me if those two things are linked or if whoever attacks in sudden death is picked at random. It's just a timed mode, basically it works like normal Payload except your time limit is shorter. We failed before hitting a checkpoint, so we lost the tiebreaker; I don't know what happens if you hit at least one checkpoint.

The purple icon people saw in the Korean PTR screenshots does indeed appear to be a new currency, and you earn that currency even from qualifying matches (I think I got 1 per game), so it does seem like everyone will be able to earn those gold weapons if they play long enough unless actual competitive games don't give out any currency.

Everything I saw so far seemed neat in theory, and the games I played were surprisingly chill. Seemed like everyone was in a diagnostic mood, poking at things to see how they worked and discussing with each other whether this game change or that game change made sense. I expect that mood to last for maybe a day tops when this launches on production (maybe far less, depending on how many people try PTR), but it was real nice.

but if enough people do that the good players basically don't get to use quick play anymore

There does have to be a limit where it gives up and matches them with somebody, but I'm not entirely against Quick Play semi-limiting Pros from pub-stomping average players. I assume Ranked would be better fitting for them when that arrives.

R0ckman

Just played a few qualifying rounds of competitive on PTR. Not enough to actually earn a ranking, but got one lopsided win (like VERY lopsided), one less lopsided loss, and one that ended in a tiebreaker where we lost. It's pretty neat, and they've made a bunch of tweaks to the different play modes that are interesting:

- You play all three rounds of KOTH no matter how both teams are doing; we won all three rounds and the game didn't end after round 2.
- The two-point games swap sides, and if you didn't manage to take the first point when you're attacking, you immediately lose if the other team takes it when they're attacking.
- Payload seems to take into account the number of checkpoints you hit. It MIGHT also take into account the time it took to get there (basically the stopwatch mode seen in pro play) but not enough info to know.

The tiebreaker game I played was Payload, where both teams managed to push the payload all the way. Our team was slower, and our team got picked to attack in sudden death, but it's not clear to me if those two things are linked or if whoever attacks in sudden death is picked at random. It's just a timed mode, basically it works like normal Payload except your time limit is shorter. We failed before hitting a checkpoint, so we lost the tiebreaker; I don't know what happens if you hit at least one checkpoint.

The purple icon people saw in the Korean PTR screenshots does indeed appear to be a new currency, and you earn that currency even from qualifying matches (I think I got 1 per game), so it does seem like everyone will be able to earn those gold weapons if they play long enough unless actual competitive games don't give out any currency.

Everything I saw so far seemed neat in theory, and the games I played were surprisingly chill. Seemed like everyone was in a diagnostic mood, poking at things to see how they worked and discussing with each other whether this game change or that game change made sense. I expect that mood to last for maybe a day tops when this launches on production (maybe far less, depending on how many people try PTR), but it was real nice.

Sounds like a lot of people are leaving games though. People on the forums are already wailing if I'm understanding correctly, I was going to pop in for some fun but looks like I'm locking solo out of it.

i used avoid for some really shitty people but i get why they're removing it and think it's fine

If only there was a separate mode where really good players could go full on try hard and always play their strongest character to dominate their games.

patchday

every so often I liked to use Steam controller with reinhart/mercy. well no more, it seems that whenever I'm ingame now my steam controller magically stops working :(

must use KB/M for all heroes now. Wonder if Overwatch had a funky patch

People hate Junkrat? D:
Honestly he's the one hero that can really get my goat on occasion, still kinda fun to play but I do think he has a lot going for him and I ain't used to grenade launchers that can used so thoughtlessly without any comeuppance.

My favorite thing: I'm playing Mercy or Lucio and helping to push the payload with three other teammates, and a Genji flying around on the other side of the map spams "I need healing".

I had this as Mercy earlier having just got the limo moving on Hollywood (as in still basically at its start point) and some Pharah that flew deep into the depths of the wild west set getting mugged spammed I need healing three times in a row.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
There's got to be more you can buy with the new currency than those cheesy gold weapons. Right?

I actually like the idea of Roadhog having a golden hook chain attached to his golden gun. It oddly fits him.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Played a ranked game on PTR, got 59 eliminations and still lost and then unboxed legendary currency, yep, that sounds about right for me :D

Sounds like a lot of people are leaving games though. People on the forums are already wailing if I'm understanding correctly, I was going to pop in for some fun but looks like I'm locking solo out of it.

Part of me thinks that's probably more because it's PTR. Once there are real penalties for leaving I imagine it will happen less. Also, the competitive mode is a lot harsher on other people if one person leaves before a match starts; one person leaving means everyone gets kicked out unless they come back.

You might as well try it out on PTR if you're curious and have some time. You've got nothing to lose except time (and 6GB of hard drive space), really!

played on Route 66. went into sudden death which is a random flip of a coint to see who attacks. you get a few minute to reach the first checkpoint. if you don't you lose. if you do you win.

Zemm

I can't believe they're not using Stopwatch for Payload and 2CP modes in competitive

I wonder if they'll change it if feedback about it is prominent.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say I'm a massive fan of best of 5 either, just drags on a bit too much.

XenoRaven

I was on actual good pub team for three whole games in a row! I feel happy, but there's also a lingering sense of dread. My penance is coming.

Apathy

I tried healing randoms again, nope, so much nope.

Situational awareness is close to non existent for like 99% of the player base

R0ckman

Part of me thinks that's probably more because it's PTR. Once there are real penalties for leaving I imagine it will happen less. Also, the competitive mode is a lot harsher on other people if one person leaves before a match starts; one person leaving means everyone gets kicked out unless they come back.

You might as well try it out on PTR if you're curious and have some time. You've got nothing to lose except time (and 6GB of hard drive space), really!

That doesnt make any sense? Why does it boot everyone? The person leaving probably wouldn't have been a team player.

Kito

Torb teammates that chuck armour anywhere, or convert scrap to armour on the spot, annoy me. Your turret is doing all the work, take a second to put it in a safe place instead of making us fetch it and get fucked in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom