• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
this was during the POTM.

8o6CsQJ.jpg

so you probably have to completely wait until youre out of the match (back to the menu screen)

X-Frame

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the update patch notes say that they improved the dead-zone for better accuracy using a controller -- however being on PC I am assuming this will be experienced by 1% of the player base.

Does anyone on PC with the PTR have access to plugging in a controller and possibly commenting on how the controls feel? The issue right now on console is aiming feels a lot more heavy and sluggish, like aiming underwater even.

Nobody appreciates Mercy :( I kept everyone alive and damage boosted a Bastion helping that player get player of the game. Think I'm going to main her because I am really good at medic classes.

GMT/EU people add supremeplatypi#2348

I think the problem with Mercy is that she's rarely the best option.

Lucio can heal the team as a whole more effectively, offers the speed boost and is a more apt offensive threat.

Zenyatta heals as effectively as Mercy and is a markedly more dangerous offensive threat.

Mercy has her revive as her trump card but that is a poor trade off for more regular utility.

All imo of course.

Does anyone on PC with the PTR have access to plugging in a controller and possibly commenting on how the controls feel? The issue right now on console is aiming feels a lot more heavy and sluggish, like aiming underwater even.

Good old Aim Smoothing. Dont get why the devs thought this would be a good idea.

I agree. I hate this too, a reason why im not playing this game much anymore. The aiming is really annoying.

Doom had the same issue on Consoles, thank god they added a Option to turn off Aim Smoothing.

Durden77

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I am getting some terrible teammates lately. Lost about 12 in a row tonight.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Zenyetta does not do the same amount of healing as mercy does. Mercy does 50hp/s and zen's is 30hp/s

Also damage boost is fucking savage. It's nearly as good as discord, but it depends more on your teammate.

That the thing, mercy is powerful in comp because she is a massive asset for an organised group, but in pubs with little to no communication she is less effective compared to lucio and zen who can work more independently.

Lucio can heal the team as a whole more effectively, offers the speed boost and is a more apt offensive threat.

Zenyatta heals as effectively as Mercy and is a markedly more dangerous offensive threat.

Mercy has her revive as her trump card but that is a poor trade off for more regular utility.

All imo of course.

Zenyatta dies faster than Mercy I think. Lucio seems like a close up healer who gets right into the thick of things and seems more vulnerable as a result. Had fun playing as him though.

Ferrio

Banned
Just did the new brawl. Attacking sucked until I picked widow, then I rolled over the other team. Might be the only character that can dent that defense.

aeolist

Banned

All imo of course.
bolded is false, harmony orb is a much slower heal. 30 hps vs 50.

mercy is far more survivable too, and her ult is infinitely better. best ult in the game by far.

Zenyetta does not do the same amount of healing as mercy does. Mercy does 50hp/s and zen's is 30hp/s

Also damage boost is fucking savage. It's nearly as good as discord, but it depends more on your teammate.

That the thing, mercy is powerful in comp because she is a massive asset for an organised group, but in pubs with little to no communication she is less effective compared to lucio and zen who can work more independently.
True that, in an unorganized pub match, healing from a distance can make all the difference.

But Zen can set and forget his heal; I tag you with an orb and I'm free to murder others until I need to move the orb. Mercy is left actively healing for as long as she needs to and is essentially then out of the game in that time as a result.

I won't begrudge people playing the heroes they enjoy but when Mercy is on the team you're essentially playing 5.5 heroes against 6.

Permanently A

Guys. Wow. WOW. The PTR is incredible. When I was watching the game before release, all the footage I saw was people grouping up, communicating and playing the game the way it was meant to be played. And of course, I was more than a little disappointed when I played the game for real and found out that people don't really care to talk at all. I mean, I even bought a microphone and everything, just for this game! But competitive... everyone is in it to win it! Just had a game with absolutely rock solid teamwork. Reinhardt shielding Bastion, me damage boosting the Bastion, Torbjorn providing turret and armor support, with Pharah and Hanzo clearing flankers. Our defense was impenetrable, and we held them back for over six minutes without even giving up the first point. No toxicity. No raging over mics. Just people asking for healing, listening and actually protecting the healing, paying attention to flankers and callouts. It was amazing.

Competitive is dreams baby. Competitive is dreams.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Servers going bonkers.

We were close to winning, suddenly we all got kicked from the server, map change and a bunch of "WTF's" in chat.

2016-06-2204_07_24-ovfxszp.png

But Zen can set and forget his heal; I tag you with an orb and I'm free to murder others until I need to move the orb. Mercy is left actively healing for as long as she needs to and is essentially then out of the game in that time as a result.

I won't begrudge people playing the heroes they enjoy but when Mercy is on the team you're essentially playing 5.5 heroes against 6.

no, zenyatta needs to stay in LOS just like Mercy. it sounds like you don't understand how powerful mercy is.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Guys. Wow. WOW. The PTR is incredible. When I was watching the game before release, all the footage I saw was people grouping up, communicating and playing the game the way it was meant to be played. And of course, I was more than a little disappointed when I played the game for real and found out that people don't really care to talk at all. I mean, I even bought a microphone and everything, just for this game! But competitive... everyone is in it to win it! Just had a game with absolutely rock solid teamwork. Reinhardt shielding Bastion, me damage boosting the Bastion, Torbjorn providing turret and armor support, with Pharah and Hanzo clearing flankers. Our defense was impenetrable, and we held them back for over six minutes without even giving up the first point. No toxicity. No raging over mics. Just people asking for healing, listening and actually protecting the healing, paying attention to flankers and callouts. It was amazing.

I'd bet my left nut that lasts for less than a week.

This game had a phenomenal community the first few days. Real good. Right up there with Siege as the best community of the last several years. And then it went to shit.

Played five games tonight.

Three of them had two Widowmakers and a Hanzo. THREE SNIPERS. One of those games we're on offense.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Also, I'm beginning to notice that even when other folks are not snipers, they never, ever hero switch. Sure, some games I play the whole match as a single character (90% of the time as healer)... but that's when it's working. This last game we lost, I switched probably six times. Nobody else switched once.

Permanently A

Your arguments for why Zen is good are based on misinformation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mercy has the best ult in the game and builds it very quickly. On top of her solid heals, damage boosting is versatile and due to the mechanics of her flight she has solid escape options which is important for her gameplan.

Zen's DPS is amazing but he has poor mobility and can't get out of a bad scenario, and while Tranquility can be good it's by far the most situational between the trifecta of healers. His orb is line of sight based which can be hard given the above.

I like Zen a lot since he shreds tanks but it can be really iffy if he's the solo support. But Mercy with no coordiation also is a pain since both rely on line of sight a lot.

I'm really liking D.Va a lot. I really like her gameplay style just getting up on people's faces and harassing them. The more I play on the maps the more alternate routes you can find with her boost ability. You can usually find a small opening or a cranny to get behind enemy lines and it's surprising how often people on the enemy team just don't expect that. I love that I can get into practically anyone's face and either mess them up or wreck their shit entirely.

If there's a Widow or Hanzo in some place high up it's really satisfying to know I can get up to wherever they are, regardless of where they are, and wreck their shit. I've yet to get killed by any snipers even if I'm at half-health and they're at full because getting right up in their face really throws everyone off. Even a couple of times as the mech is about to get destroyed, I use my rocket boost not to fly out of there (which would be a perfectly fine response), but a few times I've done the opposite and used it to get even closer to them and bump them around with the boost and do even more damage. It's surprising how often that works, because bumping them does some damage, throws off their aim, and allows me to do even more damage. You can also destroy ANY level 2 torb turret by rocketing right up to it with the shield engaged and then laying waste when you're touching it. I never realized how much of a hard counter she is against Torbjorn but she is. D.Va can destroy lv 2 turrets at any point in time regardless of where they are.

D.Va when out of her mech is also a lot more useful than I originally thought. I thought she was useless and that the best course of action is just to run away forever until I died or my mech became available again, but now that I'm learning how to lead shots with slower projectile weapons I'm finding her little gun can be devastating if you can land several shots and even a few headshots in. I've even killed a few Bastions while on foot after getting in a tussle with them on mech and them winning. I've gone up against tanks and she can really contribute a lot to damage if you have at least one other teammate in there with you.

I just really like D.Va and how playing hyper-aggressive actually rewards you.

I actually have trouble with hanzo as d.va. But really shes not really designed for 1v1 which took me a while to figure out. Shes at her best when she causes chaos by just appearing from nowhere. But there are a few she does wreck. Played her today, Winston tried to kill me, he nearly dies, jumps onto big medpack, i chase kill him lost less than half my hp.

Oh and her ult is pretty useless except for final 5m on payload attack. Although I think as time goes by people (myself included) will get better at flying + ult to get it to land where you want it.

Having a Mercy that can stay alive and pocket heal when needed essentially makes it 10 heroes vs 6.

Also if we're talking random pub play then you will never have a 6 vs 6 situation unless it was Anubis B or something.

DrArchon

OK, I'm fully on-board with Reaper now. I thought I was just testing the waters with him, but no I'm seriously thinking about making him my go-to offensive character now. I'm sorry Pharah, you're super cool and I'll use you for turrets and shit that I can't sneak around to with Reaper.

Seriously, first match of the day on Volskaya I sneak around to point A and start capping it before the enemy knows what's going on, leading to a match that lasts under 3 mins (which is about as close to total domination that I see in my matches), and then I'm playing offense on Hollywood and I get 2 quad kills with Death Blossoms, both of which guaranteed our team taking point A and getting the payload to the end. It was fucking amazing. I wish we could save our PotGs because Jesus Christ that felt so fucking good.

Oh ok cool. They're not talking about hero buff/nerfs yet?

Never really understood this. It's how the game is designed. Disallowing people to stack heroes is not what this game has ever seemed to be about.
I thought the game was about swapping in and out unique heroes as needed, not nullifying the whole point of such a unique and diverse cast by making self synergizing champs and stacked teams the most viable path to victory.

Have you payed attention to the effect Torbjorn is having on console versions, his insane KDR and WR? Is that what this game is supposed to be about? Did you follow the competitive scene before pro leagues decided to implement their own stacking ban? Nothing but 2x/2x/2x "cancer comps" that made spectating an extreme bore with no hero diversity. Did you play against Twinston in the beta before Winston got nerfed hard solely to account for people doubling up on him? Stacking adds so many problems and just ruins balance in the game. And the best way to adjust to a stacked hero in a comp is a stack of that hero's counter. It's a race to the bottom and I was sorely hoping ranked would be free of it.

Yooo, this is great news.

The lack of mic communication soured me on quick play real quick when not in pre-mades. If I used one, people probably thought I was being a "tryhard" (Stupid ass term, the goal is to win) If I didn't then I was just another solo q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom