• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

I'm looking for someone to play PTR competitive with; quote for my username.

--

Mercy is a strong character but she's not the best in the game. I'm sitting at somewhere around 600 games played with her and I think that there are certainly no shortage of things that keep her in check. I'd say she doesn't need any changes with the game how it is, but if Lucio gets nerfed that could easily change. I'd put her at #2 in the support category (behind Lucio) and somewhere in the top third overall.

Strengths:
- Mercy works on basically every map and against almost all team compositions. She has very high mobility in most situations and her toolset is so non-specific that there aren't really any things in particular her that render her irrelevant. Ironically, because she should lose to basically anyone in a 1v1, Mercy has no particular hard counters and the only character that is especially good at trivializing her is Winston, but he can be managed in other ways and with the assistance of your team.
- In terms of single-target healing there is no equal. Because of this, Mercy has a greater power than the other healers to determine the outcome of a fight without using her ult. A Mercy who is playing well is capable of providing the necessary leverage to prevent their teammates from losing fights that they otherwise would have lost. Lucio's dominance is predicated on the fact that he essentially gives his entire team an inflated life pool when they're standing near him; Mercy's healing rate is so quick that she can render a single character effectively impervious to all but the strongest of attacks, which is an ability unique to her. The value of this in 1v1 is obvious, but its benefit is only multiplicative over the course of team fights and games.
- Her ult is really good and charges very quickly; this combination of traits makes it probably the best in the game. Not too much else to say about the upsides of this ult; you're dead, now you're not. You can render plays of extraordinary teamplay irrelevant with the touch of a button and you can allow your team to retain its momentum if they hit a bump in the road at a relatively low cost.
- Her pistol isn't that bad. If you can aim (sorry console players), Mercy can defend herself well enough the squishier portion of the cast to at least force them to run away instead of pursuing her. I have killed numerous Tracers, Torbjorns, Zenyattas, D. Vas and even Reapers as Mercy just by shooting people in the head a few times. It's also good for destroying turrets and otherwise just bothering people at a long range since there's no dropoff.
- Mercy is difficult to kill without an ult. She has a decent-sized health pool which regenerates very quickly and her mobility lets her be quick and unpredictable at the same time, so smart players playing on smart teams are usually able to stay alive as Mercy for a good length of time.

Weaknesses:
- If you're playing on a team with no tank and/or a team composed entirely of MLG wannabe flankers, you're going to have a bad time. Mercy's movement mechanic is reliant on having LoS to at least one other player and really doesn't mesh well with this style of play. Playing a "pocket" Mercy is just asking to get focused and is bound to make you drastically underutilized, so Mercy only works well on the kind of teams that do team stuff. This is perhaps her biggest flaw in solo queue and I suspect is the reason that she's sitting at the bottom of the leaderboards for winrate (yeah, she's totally overpowered guys): Unlike Lucio, Mercy can't bring her team together and certainly can't lead a charge. She's entirely dependent on your teammates making reasonable decisions.
- Her ult is very, very difficult to use optimally and is often not a massive game-changer because of this. Mercies have to be super careful not to accidentally get revives that are too small or revives that don't really benefit their team or, worse yet, actually benefit the other team by feeding them meter; you need to really be reading the game well to get a good ult and for all of its potential it is probably the ult that is most frequently underutilized. Mercy players basically have to keep track of everyone else's ult status if they want to revive properly and they have to be sure not to be killed themselves if she wants to be able to use her ult effectively in the first place. What good is saving your ult to prevent a multikill riptire if you are also killed by the multikill riptire? Not only did you not save your teammates in this instance, you also probably didn't save them in other instances where you could. It's an ult that inspires a lot of terror but is definitely one of the most difficult in the game to use effectively. There are a lot of ways to cope with this but they serve to diminish the x-factor value of her ult and make it work a whole lot more like Symmetra's.
- Without a vigilant team, Mercy will be blown up religiously by a significant percentage of the game's ults. Of particular prominence are Genji's and Junkrat's, which are essentially a free kill against her if ypur team doesn't act quickly. The point here is that all of the work you do as Mercy to prevent yourself from dying (which is, for sure, the most difficult part of playing Mercy) can be rendered irrelevant by many ults, allowing otherwise small kills to become plays.
- Her performance in bulk healing is a distant second to Lucio. You will almost never beat Lucio in healing done, especially in KotH. The practical gameplay implications of this are few since the vast majority of this healing has no effect on the game at all, but they're there: Lucio does better against the slow burn than Mercy does, and because he keeps up his team by... existing, it's far easier for him to keep his team in the game during long engagements than it is for Mercy. Mercy must constantly divide her focus between her own survival and that of her teammates, and when that split focus reaches critical mass it can give the opposing team significant leverage.
- Mercy's utility outside of straight healing is fairly limited. I said before that her gun is quite handy and this is true, but all of the supports save Lucio have more useful guns and Lucio gets to use his more. Her damage beam is very, very strong in some situations but it doesn't quite match Lucio's speed boost and ability to spontaneously kill characters in one maneuver, especially when it comes to KotH. In relation to Zenyatta she comes off looking pretty good in the utility department (nevermind healing) but he's a different creature altogether.

Tl;dr: Mercy is excellent but Lucio is better. She's fine; maybe buff Zenyatta.

Seagull mentioned that games are too reliant on her Res or centered on them during a stream, how often does she show up in professional play? I've rarely had bad Mercys in solo play, but I rarely have Mercys at all actually, when I do they have been great. Need to friend one in particular now that I think about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seagull mentioned that games are too reliant on her Res or centered on them during a stream, how often does she show up in professional play? I've rarely had bad Mercys in solo play, but I rarely have Mercys at all actually, when I do they have been great. Need to friend one in particular now that I think about it.

I believe in the most recent pro games where stacking is banned she's the single most picked character.

Is there any place to see character stats like health regen rate, armor, damage per shot and crit rate? Also, are shields the same as regular health except for their self regen?

Don't think so. It's really something you get a feel for more than anything, because one person's stats in isolation wouldn't mean anything without considering the whole team vs. team dynamic.

For HP: Shields regen, health doesn't. Armor has a slight damage reduction that can really make a difference, even for low-HP characters (e.g. surviving vs. dying to Reinhardt's charge while at full HP.)

cametall

I have to have like 10 losses in a row at this point. This is beyond stupid.
I don't know if my MMR is trash or I killed puppies in another life, but for two days now I've had the most God awful teams that I'm wondering if I'm singlehandedly dragging five other people down. It's been so bad. I'm level 92 and suddenly I'm just having a terrible run of matches. Probably sub 50% win rate now.

I've had four teams today that refused to pick a healer or tank even when I covered one of those roles.

Won 6 out of 6 in placement matches. One thing I realized is that apparently most players play attack better than defence. We had to do sudden death like 3 times and always beat them at attack. Got steamrolled in one match as defence and then we steamrolled them even harder when switching side. Last match I was the sole contester as Lucio while 4 of them were alive, managed to stay alive by killing the zarya and dancing around the payload. Teammates arrived and boom Sound Barrier. Everybody was hyped as fuck we beat that. I know I was.

grimmiq

Wow, on PS4 I haven't heard a single person speak, started PC version yesterday and I kinda want to forget about 99% of what I've heard. Some vile shit.

Also just had a match with a Genji that spent about 3mins sitting in the spawn area throwing shuriken at arcade machines after the match had started.

I enjoyed the beta, but am just now about to buy it. I have a couple of questions though:

1) Will I miss out on any content if I buy it used (on console by the way)?

2) Should I anticipate a discount anytime soon?

Satch

Banned
Not true. I've met some amazing randoms and have plenty of fun when I don't play with my regular group.

well, the game doesn't necessarily suck, but for me, the peak fun i've had with randoms cannot be compared to the peak fun i have playing with a group

we're not even really coordinating plays or anything "tryhard" like that. everyone just naturally picks what we need, and we switch roles with each other from game to game so nobody is forced to play the same hero every game. everybody's on the same page. it feels nice to have that experience and it makes taking losses feel fine because everyone contributed something to the match in earnest.

if we ask someone to switch and focus down a widowmaker, we dont get into an argument about it. nobody says "well then you pick it" if we need a different hero to counter something that the enemy is doing. theres just zero stress. its fantastic

ive played a lot of solo queue and about less than half feel that good, win or lose. but every game with a group is a smooth experience so far, and ive been in three different groups today.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745146459#post-1

best post i Have read on the Mccree situation. This guy is currently ranked 106 in total points earned with McCree. And he echoes what i have been saying. At the current given time McCree is a useless hero. No point in picking this guy when others do it better and easily. BTW before you flame me that post at this given moment got 91 thumbs in Blizz forums. Thats right a pro Mccree post that has almost 100 thumbs up in a battle net forum. Read it if you can. Also seems to me lot of pro players are dropping this character too.

Won 6 out of 6 in placement matches. One thing I realized is that apparently most players play attack better than defence. We had to do sudden death like 3 times and always beat them at attack. Got steamrolled in one match as defence and then we steamrolled them even harder when switching side. Last match I was the sole contester as Lucio while 4 of them were alive, managed to stay alive by killing the zarya and dancing around the payload. Teammates arrived and boom Sound Barrier. Everybody was hyped as fuck we beat that. I know I did.

It is increasingly a problem. People don't know how to defend for one; they frequently bunch up at the main lane and hope they can out deathmatch the other team, but even on a competent team, defense loses a ton of ground for any lost fight. The second cap of payload maps are nearly-impossible to defend for a decent amount of time, and I frequently see teams lose the first two points like they're utter garbage, then miraculously synergize and defend the last point for 8 minutes. Except it's not a miracle, it's just the difference between spawning 10 seconds away from the action and 30 seconds away from the action.

Defense was pretty overpowered in the beta when most people didn't know what they were doing, and playing attack on some maps can still be pretty hellish, but I feel like they need to find the balance. Because right now, once offense has the payload, they steamroll straight to the final point because defense spawns so damn far away.

A good Tracer is extremely frustrating to go up against. They're like cockroaches.
I had an absolutely beast Tracer stall while in Overtime. By herself, against a full team. We couldn't seem to kill her. I wasn't so much frustrated as I was in complete awe. Her team loss but a part of me was totally cheering her on. It was amazing to watch.

Am I a meme or something? Every other game I get into I have people saying "Oh, shit! It's usagi!" or some variation. I don't think I'm quite good enough to be a Legend yet so what is going on here. ._.

best post i Have read on the Mccree situation. This guy is currently ranked 106 in total points earned with McCree. And he echoes what i have been saying. At the current given time McCree is a useless hero. No point in picking this guy when others do it better and easily. BTW before you flame me that post at this given moment got 91 thumbs in Blizz forums. Thats right a pro Mccree post that has almost 100 thumbs up in a battle net forum. Read it if you can. Also seems to me lot of pro players are dropping this character too.

Data doesn't seem to suggest McCree is unplayable garbage that no pro will touch. 100 thumbs on a Blizz forum means about as much to me as some guy shitting in a drain pipe, as little offense as I can possibly put into that statement. The Blizzard forums have always been some form of disease on the internet.

Edit: I tried Vivaldi, I thought it might be a cool browser. The sheer amount of frustration I just suffered over this post has convinced me that it's absolute garbage. Back to Firefox.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Guys. Wow. WOW. The PTR is incredible. When I was watching the game before release, all the footage I saw was people grouping up, communicating and playing the game the way it was meant to be played. And of course, I was more than a little disappointed when I played the game for real and found out that people don't really care to talk at all. I mean, I even bought a microphone and everything, just for this game! But competitive... everyone is in it to win it! Just had a game with absolutely rock solid teamwork. Reinhardt shielding Bastion, me damage boosting the Bastion, Torbjorn providing turret and armor support, with Pharah and Hanzo clearing flankers. Our defense was impenetrable, and we held them back for over six minutes without even giving up the first point. No toxicity. No raging over mics. Just people asking for healing, listening and actually protecting the healing, paying attention to flankers and callouts. It was amazing.

Competitive is dreams baby. Competitive is dreams.
Not for anyone who can't get in:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745344507
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745434469
ZA50Q2B.jpg
ig1D5xY.png

Rad-

Seagull said McCree is still very good but also said fan the hammer is pretty useless now.

McCree is good if you have amazing aim. This isn't one of those "you're just underrating this shitty character, he's good when you never miss a shot and have perfect teamwork and all the planets are aligned blah blah blah," McCree with good aim is a real threat. But he no longer functions as an easy counter to close range heroes, so in a typical pub game it's kind of hard to justify picking him over Reaper, Roadhog, or 76.

Rad-

He also said its better of going with another hero...Quote the whole thing bro.

Then that quote was in a different stream as he didn't say it in the previous one where I heard it. You have a link to where he said other heroes are better choice now? Would be interesting to hear that whole quote.

We shall see if McCree stops getting played in the meta. I think his stun + headshots are still quite effective in skilled hands and because of that I don't believe he will get dropped totally.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gibralter.

Roadhog, Zarya, Mercy, Torb, Torb, Junkrat

Torbs setup turrets on the plane in the hanger. Roadhog and Zarya run interference. Junkrat suppresses. It's unstoppable. My team just could not break that turtle.

XenoRaven

I don't know if my MMR is trash or I killed puppies in another life, but for two days now I've had the most God awful teams that I'm wondering if I'm singlehandedly dragging five other people down. It's been so bad. I'm level 92 and suddenly I'm just having a terrible run of matches. Probably sub 50% win rate now.

I've had four teams today that refused to pick a healer or tank even when I covered one of those roles.
Here's the deal.

I can't speak to the exact details of Overwatch's matchmaking, but I can speak to my experience with a matchmaking system in a game that is supposedly similar; Smite.

In an attempt to find quicker matches, Smite will, instead of pairing you with people of similar MMR, will pair you with people who have wildly different MMR, with the idea that the average MMR of both teams evens out. This sounds OK in theory, but in practice you often end up on a team with braindead scrubs that the best player in the world couldn't carry, while the other team gets a a bunch of people of similar skill and you end up getting rolled over. I know people like to say "blame urself not ur teammates" or w/e, but there's a website that actually calculates Smite MMR (the algorithm they use is not the official one) and displays it so you can actually see what's going on. I've seen variances like me being at 2,300 MMR and someone on my team being 1,300-1,400.

Of all the bad teammates I've gotten in Smite, Overwatch feels even worse. Maybe it's because Smite has creeps that you can kill and towers you can defend, so even if you're getting crushed, there's still something you can do to try and help the team. In Overwatch, if your team is bad, you basically don't get to play. I can't say for sure whether or not Overwatch allows the huge MMR variance that Smite seems to, but my gut tells me it does.

Then that quote was in a different stream as he didn't say it in the previous one where I heard it. You have a link to where he said other heroes are better choice now? Would be interesting to hear that whole quote.

We shall see if McCree stops getting played in the meta. I think his stun + headshots are still quite effective in skilled hands and because of that I don't believe he will get dropped totally.

go back to my link with post your quoted first. Scroll down to the bottom. He will most likely drop him.

DNAbro

Luckily got the Path is Closed trophy tonight in a game with tracer where I had a 17 killstreak.

Does anybody know if the "Lockdown" trophy is bugged? It's "win a capture map on defense without loosing the first objective" and I'm 9000% sure i've done that. It's at 0.00% attained so I'm assuming it's bugged.

Feltrol

Banned
Luckily got the Path is Closed trophy tonight in a game with tracer where I had a 17 killstreak.

Does anybody know if the "Lockdown" trophy is bugged? It's "win a capture map on defense without loosing the first objective" and I'm 9000% sure i've done that. It's at 0.00% attained so I'm assuming it's bugged.

I already have it, so it's not bugged. The enemy team never took the point.

Moonkid

Had a set of close games with great players on both sides, really makes a difference in how fun the game gets if people are even a little co-ordinated and have decent awareness.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yeah the Weekly Brawl this week is a snooze fucking fest
Most game aren't competitive

They needed to add some buffs into the mix to cause some fucking chaos
Both sides just play keep away

Hanamura is just 5 minutes of boring shooting between the main entrance

Payload maps are hilarious with pubs running 2 Bastions and/or Torbs on Attack lol

Would've been amazing if they went overkill and buffed health and speed + ultimate gain
Just utter chaos

McCree is good if you have amazing aim. This isn't one of those "you're just underrating this shitty character, he's good when you never miss a shot and have perfect teamwork and all the planets are aligned blah blah blah," McCree with good aim is a real threat. But he no longer functions as an easy counter to close range heroes, so in a typical pub game it's kind of hard to justify picking him over Reaper, Roadhog, or 76.

If he's going to be a lmb character the damage drop off that he experiences shows that wasn't the original intent

hooooooly shit i got a legit PotG

5 feet away from capping the payload, they have all ultimates up, I immediately kill an ulting genji after the enemy zarya uses her black hole, then me and our zarya blast their entire team with our ults, securing a team kill.

eek5

Gibralter.

Roadhog, Zarya, Mercy, Torb, Torb, Junkrat

Torbs setup turrets on the plane in the hanger. Roadhog and Zarya run interference. Junkrat suppresses. It's unstoppable. My team just could not break that turtle.

Pharah counters everything there

I join a game, pick Hanzo, get wrecked by a decent genji at the beginning.

After awhile I get my bearings on his style, and start landing kills. As well as start throwing dragons out that kill a lot of the other team. Many with the help of sonic arrow. In the last minute I just started shooting blind dragons for area denial and then I get called out for wallhack by said genji.

1: Shooting dragon to block the attacking team from payload is common sense.
2: Hanzo has sonic arrow
3: Stupid genji ALWAYS flanked around and jumped through the corner. Starting with a shuriken, dash slash, double jump back into another shuriken. Way too predictable after dying to it the 10th time.

Really, some players just can't admit they got outplayed.

patchday

Wow, on PS4 I haven't heard a single person speak, started PC version yesterday and I kinda want to forget about 99% of what I've heard. Some vile shit.

unfortunately since mic users are so rare- 90% of the mic users i come across are trolls. I always have to mute them (PC)

On PS4 I recall mic users being rare too. I'm mostly a PC player though

Veelk

Banned
Okay, when you're against even a halfway organized team, this game becomes pointless solo. Like, seriously pointless. I couldn't get anywhere near the team without instantly dying, it was ridiculous.

Then again, it might just be me sucking.

I wish this game just had a FFA mode.

Sooo.... I'm not really a fan of the sudden death. It happens all but perhaps twice on non-koth maps. And I just didn't like it. Feels bad to set a great time on offense, lose on defense to a really long time, and then lose in sudden death... also everyone in every single match seemed to reflect that sentiment.

Exile20

Would rather this post Nerf mccree than pre Nerf one. Everyone else is having fun and not only mccree.

patchday

Btw I love using voice chat with my friends. I just wish it worked more like Rainbow six siege whereas the party speaks in the team chat (by default). I don't like just talking in party chat then the randoms cant hear us

frontovik

Banned
Got a nice POTG as Tracer near the end of the match. Unloaded a full clip into a Junkrat in his ult mode, and delivered the coup de grace with a melee blow. Oh and I killed another Tracer & Pharah.

Got a nice loot box as well; Scavenger skin for D.VA, even though I don't play her... now I just might, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom