• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
In fact McCree went from theory crafting "this won't change a thing look at the hard numbers" to "Garbage useless delete him tiers" in the end. The people saying that only players who could aim with him would still use him were right ^^.

It's funny to see the rise of Roadhogs now in the category of brain dead stun one shot hero for those not able to do it with McCree anymore lol.
With road hog you have to aim, then if you succeed with the hook, you have to aim towards their head for the 1-shot kill + immediately melee. Sure, if you mess any of the steps post hook up, they're still pretty dead, but it isn't 100% death (unless Zenyatta/Tracer/Junkrat).

I like Roadhog. My favorite heroes are all in the Tank class, excluding Reinhardt, I love all of them!

Rixxan

He used to be used more: When Zenyatta was dominant in beta (and didn't require LoS for harmony orbs), so were Genji and Tracer. He dropped to being "balanced" at launch, in the sense that he was used about one-third to one-half of the time... until the McCree/Widow nerfs.

Those nerfs indirectly empowered tanks and other characters that Genji is at best neutral with, especially Reaper and Pharah, both of whom have seen much more use since the patch. Reaper is, honestly, overpowered at this point, but it'll take people a while to figure that out fully. He was strong before, and now McCree isn't a reliable counter. Reaper's also more necessary than before now that it's safer to play tanks. Pharah's in a good spot (and a good Reaper counter!), but in the hands of a skilled player, she's bad news for Genji.

So Genji is getting edged out of the meta not because he sucks, but because he's not a good counter to the heroes that are currently optimal.

This is all an indirect consequence of them choosing the wrong nerf for McCree (nerfing FtH's damage instead of its availability). Good Reapers can now routinely escape FtH, which is bad news.

Good post

Reaper is such a lame though, hate to see him so viable (lol)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know if it's just the reapers I'm playing but i find him fairly easy to counter as mei. I either outrange him with icicle or I'm able to freeze him and shoot him in the head before he kills me. Also have a really easy escape for death blossom.

Zeliard

I'm tired of my boy Zenyatta being slept on.

Zenyatta is in a bit of an awkward spot as far as the pro meta goes because if you're going to go double support, Lucio/Mercy will usually bring a lot more to the table as a combo, and they're far more mobile and resilient. It can also be hard to justify adding him as a third support for his Discord and general damage when you can pick a safer hero with good DPS or a second tank.

Where Zenyatta might start to feature more is if tank-heavy comps start becoming prominent (like with the rise of Roadhog as the article notes), especially since McCree is no longer as adept at tank-busting and a hero limit would only allow one Reaper.

Kamion

Just to follow up on this, check out what happened to a toxic player in Heroes...

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/20745166459

lol

Blizz talking about reporting: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/4p8sgb/the_blizz_mods_are_on_fire/d4j5u4w

This is amazing.

Zen should have a dodge ability. Dude is so damn slow. At least give him an evasive move that has cooldown.

Agree. Give him a cooldown short range teleport or something. Or buff his health. The way he currently works, he's just not viable to use instead of Lucio or Mercy. His damage is great, but it's really hard to survive with him apart from when his ult is up.

Rixxan

I really wonder how the placement matches are determining your overall skill rank.

In that Kaplan post yesterday he pretty clearly indicates that they gauge individual performance based on the hero being used, and they understand what impressive numbers look like for each hero.

Makes me wonder if you'd almost be better off mastering a hero that is less populated in the meta, and mastering them.

Assuming you get wins during the placement matches, and let's say you go off with zenyatta, I wonder if you'd see a better skill rating than let's say a McCree who performed well, but when compared against the average McCree, less impressively than a great zenyatta performance.

Make sense? Maybe I'm off base

I really wonder how the placement matches are determining your overall skill rank.

In that Kaplan post yesterday he pretty clearly indicates that they gauge individual performance based on the hero being used, and they understand what impressive numbers look like for each hero.

Makes me wonder if you'd almost be better off mastering a hero that is less populated in the meta, and mastering them.

Assuming you get wins during the placement matches, and let's say you go off with zenyatta, I wonder if you'd see a better skill rating than let's say a McCree who performed well, but when compared against the average McCree, less impressively than a great zenyatta performance.

Make sense? Maybe I'm off base

Which post are you referring to exactly? I think this one was talking about quick play and ranked/placement matches are probably determined differently, I'd imagine. http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

CoLaN

Being used to the Quake 3 Pro scene, its cute to see so many "pros" at the game.

It totally isn't because of extremely generous hitboxes and the way many weapons/abilities work

I took a screenshot of a Reaper's POTG. He spent both matches away from the point as much as possible until he could get an ult to drop on people.

I took the screenshot because his name was literally the stereotype that people say: Xxredacted partxX420

The 420 might have been inside the xX's. I don't want to post it since it's the dude's username and all, but I had a pretty big laugh.

LiK

I took a screenshot of a Reaper's POTG. He spent both matches away from the point as much as possible until he could get an ult to drop on people.

I took the screenshot because his name was literally the stereotype that people say: Xxredacted partxX420

The 420 might have been inside the xX's. I don't want to post it since it's the dude's username and all, but I had a pretty big laugh.

Submit it to Reaper Names twitter lol

KissVibes

Banned
I've found a lot of success doing ranked stuff running Zenyatta + 76. Granted, we weren't playing against the greatest around but I swear when you have those two locked on the same targets, it is savage for the enemy team. Fucking Pharah's looked like they were flies running into a bug zapper.

Roadhog's still an issue tho. Fuck healing in the middle of getting dumped on. That shit is absolute garbage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sure, they are very different, but it's like in Overwatch pros are so many, they are coming out from the walls

And as someone who came in from the fighting game community I'll just say that of course everybody thinks that they're a pro.

LiK

Sure, they are very different, but it's like in Overwatch pro gamers are so many, they are coming out from the walls

Well, thanks to YouTube/Twitch, most people think someone is pro if they're really good. I think competitive will show who's really "pro".

I've found a lot of success doing ranked stuff running Zenyatta + 76. Granted, we weren't playing against the greatest around but I swear when you have those two locked on the same targets, it is savage for the enemy team. Fucking Pharah's looked like they were flies running into a bug zapper.

Roadhog's still an issue tho. Fuck healing in the middle of getting dumped on. That shit is absolute garbage.

Headshotting a drinking roadhog is easy though. So his heal should get him almost no benefit.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Same.

Hate his character design, hate his moveset, hate his dialogue, hate the way he drifts away like a fart in the wind whenever he's about to lose a gun battle.

Don't forget that he can heal himself for some reason as well, every teleporting, invincible mode, shotgun to your face hero needs that.

RemiLP

Sure, they are very different, but it's like in Overwatch pro gamers are so many, they are coming out of the walls

You can play quake 3 hours a day for 2 years straight, and you would still not even be able to move aroud like the best. The skill cap is way too high.

And thats probably why quake like games are less and less popular.

J Range

So i ranked 60(60% better than everyone...a passing grade!) in the PTR...somewhat dissapointed. Maybe its cuz im only lvl 35+. I was 8-2 in the placement, got 6 PotG with Mercy, Reaperx3, Winston & Lucio.

I was really hoping for 75ish. Oh well,guess i ain't that good.

Skill ranking is out already? I didnt notice anything new yesterday.

Lol it's so awkward to have a PotG with Torbjörn where u just respawned and only pressed Q while walking back. Wished nobody saw that. T.T
Own it and put on a show. Ult, look at a wall, put down your spray, and dance in front of it using jumps, crouches, hammer slams, and spins. A POTG recap where you just make pirouettes away from the battle, is a power move that commands a lot of respect in the voting.
Either that, or people will start going on a rant about what a terrible character he is, and you get no votes

rsniper59

Neo Member
Played with a larger group (3 friends) for the first time yesterday, and it REALLY makes an impact on the flow of the game. Other than one match where we were going up against another really well-coordinated team, we were able to just bust through the competition in a way that I hadn't done before.

And that's with two of the players really not having much experience with the game at all (levels 7 and 12 I believe)! Would only get better from there.

The game is much more fun with that communication and coordination factor, which is lovely because the base game itself is already a blast.

Cool!

Finally had a great pub game last night. There were about 30 seconds left to capture the second point and I was playing Lucio. My ult was ready, so I kept spamming that command (playing on Xbox w/o chat) and the group up with me command. Took about 20 seconds for my teammates to get where I was, but I activated the ult perfectly to shield us from their 2 Torbjorn turrets and Symmetra turrets and we just steamrolled them and won the match.

Pubs can be tough, but it's moments like this that make the game great.

Lol it's so awkward to have a PotG with Torbjörn where u just respawned and only pressed Q while walking back. Wished nobody saw that. T.T

Heh, my worst PotG is on Watchpoint Gibraltar as Reinhardt, where I wasn't paying attention to where I was and charged a group of enemies. Hit a few of them and must have killed them, but ended up flying right of the edge of a cliff with a Genji in front of me. Embarrassing enough the first time, but then the game had to broadcast it to EVERYONE at the end.

LiK

I got a POTG with Symm last night where I died halfway through it but my turrets killed the guys. It was pretty hilarious. At least I got to show off my fave Symm highlight intro

vypek

Why do people sometimes fly up in the air instead of being pinned when you charge? Is it when you don't get the aim right?

Never saw this but I'm curious now. Maybe they jumped before you hit and the collision detection made them pop up farther instead?

LiK

Why do people sometimes fly up in the air instead of being pinned when you charge? Is it when you don't get the aim right?

I think he missed them. Happened to me a few times when a Reinhardt charged me. I would try to get outta the way or jump and I guess the collision would be wonky if he doesn't connect. Sometimes I get pinned anyway.

kromeo

I got a POTG with Symm last night where I died halfway through it but my turrets killed the guys. It was pretty hilarious. At least I got to show off my fave Symm highlight intro

My favourite potg was with Lucio where I got a lucky triple kill just for firing in a straight line and then accidentally backed straight down the hole in Nepal. Unsurprisingly I got no votes at the end..

Never saw this but I'm curious now. Maybe they jumped before you hit and the collision detection made them pop up farther instead?

Yeah, Reinhardt's charge can be weird sometimes. I had one last night where I was on an upper ledge on Hanamura, and I think our team's Pharah must have hit him with her Concussive Blast and launched him into the air while he was charging. The end result was that I ended up getting pinned and killed... on a second floor ledge when Reinhardt started his charge down on the ground. Took me a few seconds to figure out what had happened, and how it was even possible.

vypek

Yeah, Reinhardt's charge can be weird sometimes. I had one last night where I was on an upper ledge on Hanamura, and I think our team's Pharah must have hit him with her Concussive Blast and launched him into the air while he was charging. The end result was that I ended up getting pinned and killed... on a second floor ledge when Reinhardt started his charge down on the ground. Took me a few seconds to figure out what had happened, and how it was even possible.

I didn't think a concussive blast would send someone up that high on Hanamura. Didn't think it got nearly that much height at all. Guess his charge must have some weird effects with some other collision detection of other things as well. Wonder what would happen with a concussive mine.

patchday

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Just to follow up on this, check out what happened to a toxic player in Heroes...

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/20745166459

lol

Blizz talking about reporting: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/4p8sgb/the_blizz_mods_are_on_fire/d4j5u4w

this is incredible.. lol.. say what you will about blizz devs (though recently they've been on point)... but blizz CS has routinely been among the best in the business, especially considering how frequently blizzard is in fact called on to directly serve the customer.

yes, as a frequent reinhardt, if I miss the pin but still connect it is more like a KB with some air..

I really think the Torbjorn problem (at least on the console) would be helped somewhat if it got a range nerf.

There are just some spots where it is really diffficult to plink down without being in its range, and when you have two in lots of matches (5 is rare but 2 is getting more and more common from where I'm standing) it's not a lot of fun to deal with.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm becoming part of the problem, I can't stop playing as D.Va she is way too much fun.

I've noticed in general i go through periods where i get obsessed with playing one hero and i only play them for like 6 hours straight and then pick someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom