• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

The meta really got turned on its head this week.

Discussion: Who is the best Mercy damage boost combo?

I like Roadhog and Mercy. That shotgun, when damage boosted, can alt-fire and take chunks of Reinhardt's shield. Considering that's one of the major counters to Roadhog's hook, it's a nice little combo. Plus, he has self healing so switching off of DMG Boost to Heal will be kept to a minimum.

Pharmercy wreaks havoc and lets Mercy fly around behind her up in the air.

Soldier 76 is another really good combo. His gun's range is incredible, with barely any spread or recoil to consider.

What others?

DrArchon

Depends entirely on the situation though - he can wraith to nearby health or wraith back towards the safety of his team. I don't mind the move itself too much but I think it's the quick cooldown that's a problem, feels like a braindead reset button if the Reaper player stumbles into any situations he doesn't like.

That is true. I don't think it last long enough for Reaper to really get back to his team is he's intent on harassing the back line, but it's definitely enough for him to grab health pickups and health orbs if there are any nearby. In that case I would just say to keep any eye on the health pickups (especially the large ones). Not much you can do about the orbs, but they're only worth 50 health so they're not a huge deal.

I still think terms of reset buttons it's not as good as Mei's ice block + ice wall combo.

I love this game. I'm really starting to dislike the community however. So...so many people that are complete shits to other people, complete strangers.

"We're attacking! Why are you using Mei?!?!?!"

"Oh fuck! Two Soldier 76s on one team. Great, we're fucked now."

There's a pretty significantly sized group of people playing games like this who literally have no idea how to manage their emotions or positively deal with something so minor as losing at a competitive game.

The constant whining really is wearing me down and I think it's going to be why I pull the plug on playing Overwatch more.

...and yeah. Torbjorn probably needs a nerf. Not because he murders me. But because I have absolutely gone on tears with Torbjorn (on console) and racking up a frightening number of kills (and I am absolute rubbish at FPS type games)

What's the new brawl this week?

Locked to characters in the Defense category, with a hero stack limit of 2.

It sounds more fun that it actually is, unfortunately. We hit the last corner of King's Row with the Payload and couldn't do shit about their 2 Tjorb / 1 Widowmaker. It was a random game, not in a group.

I love this game. I'm really starting to dislike the community however. So...so many people that are complete shits to other people, complete strangers.

"We're attacking! Why are you using Mei?!?!?!"

"Oh fuck! Two Soldier 76s on one team. Great, we're fucked now."

There's a pretty significantly sized group of people playing games like this who literally have no idea how to manage their emotions of positively deal with something so minor as losing at a competitive game.

The constant whining really is wearing me down and I think it's going to be why I pull the plug on playing Overwatch more.

This is similar to my experience before I made my purchase and after.

A lot of Youtubers acted so superior about hero picking (TotalBiscuit would mock people for using certain heroes even when he was the weak-link on a team) and now people really can't even have fun without people complaining (even if it is the opposing team!)

I had so much fun the other day being one of 4 Tracers on my team and we wrecked house--because honestly most people don't know what to do when you have more 3+ of the same character that can flank and annoy.

I bet the other team was complaining about our choice, but we won and had fun.

I come on NeoGAF and I see people complaining about people using multiple heroes to beat them. Like really? Overwatch seems so casual and jump-in-and-play friendly but people are acting like this need to be MLG-pro.

As much as Reaper's escapes are annoying, he's also the character I enjoy denying/killing the most because of it. Last night I had my favorite Reaper denial moment of the game so far - I put down a Winston bubble right before Reaper wraithed in and popped his ult. He went off right in the center of my bubble and my entire team just watched him shout Die Die Die from outside of it and then murdered him.

It was glorious.

That may have very well been me if it was on PC. In my defense I fully expected the bubble to pop immediately so I didn't way to see it on cool down. I messed up bad that game.

I've come to the realization that perhaps one of the reasons that Zenyatta hasn't gotten a mobility boost or extra hp is because when gets hp buffs from Torbjorn and Symmetra he becomes super tanky. He suddenly has 125 shields being bolstered by armor. That's a lot of effective hp. Tracer and Soldier 76 who should very much be a threat to him become sort of trivial. He's now dpsing as well as all the offense heroes, healing, and debuffing. They few times I've done it now it's been incredibly strong.

I still think terms of reset buttons it's not as good as Mei's ice block + ice wall combo.

Yeah, that's definitely the better combo. I think what makes the Mei combo fair (in my mind at least) is ice wall does have a lengthy cooldown, so I feel like that's more situational than Reaper's wraith form and maybe also why it doesn't make me sigh as much as Reaper farting away does.

Lol, had 3 guys on my team saying Mei takes no skill. They were saying this because there was a Mei on the enemy team who was lvl 13, and they were seeing he was using Mei because she's easy to use and calling him a noob. I assume those guys were getting killed by him a lot and have never actually used Mei before.

This is the first time i've run into Mei salt, and it's kinda funny.

Grief.exe

This is similar to my experience before I made my purchase and after.

A lot of Youtubers acted so superior about hero picking (TotalBiscuit would mock people for using certain heroes even when he was the weak-link on a team) and now people really can't even have fun without people complaining (even if it is the opposing team!)

I had so much fun the other day being one of 4 Tracers on my team and we wrecked house--because honestly most people don't know what to do when you have more 3+ of the same character that can flank and annoy.

I bet the other team was complaining about our choice, but we won and had fun.

I come on NeoGAF and I see people complaining about people using multiple heroes to beat them. Like really? Overwatch seems so casual and jump-in-and-play friendly but people are acting like this need to be MLG-pro.

I guess it comes down to how you perceive fun in a competitive video game. There are people who have fun by just experiencing the game, regardless of the outcome. Then there are people who have fun by getting better and winning, those would have problems with low-tier picks.

LiK

Need to mention I played with a lvl 192 guy last evening. He was just a random in my team. Dude certainly played a lot.

I guess it comes down to how you perceive fun in a competitive video game. There are people who have fun by just experiencing the game, regardless of the outcome. Then there are people who have fun by getting better and winning, those would have problems with low-tier picks.

Sounds like that latter group should always run with a full team. Fortunately for them the competitive mode is being introduce so that they can find similar players that share their philosophy of fun.

I am pretty competitive in FPS games but if I'm playing pubs without a full team in any game I already come in with the expectation that the game will be chill.

chronomac

Apologies if this has been asked before but what are some good YouTube channels or series for tips on certain characters, like say Mercy and Pharah?

I'm at level 18 now and feel pretty comfortable maining Mercy but would always be open to getting better.

I've actually been finding a lot more people on PS4 using mics now. I don't know if I'm just getting lucky or people are starting to catch on, but it's nice to see this sudden change.

That may have very well been me if it was on PC. In my defense I fully expected the bubble to pop immediately so I didn't way to see it on cool down. I messed up bad that game.

Nah, this was on PS4. I was actually surprised that the bubble held myself - thought Reaper's ult would tear it up but now I know it doesn't which will come in handy!

Lol, had 3 guys on my team saying Mei takes no skill. They were saying this because there was a Mei on the enemy team who was lvl 13, and they were seeing he was using Mei because she's easy to use and calling him a noob. I assume those guys were getting killed by him a lot and have never actually used Mei before.

This is the first time i've run into Mei salt, and it's kinda funny.

I don't usually run into Mei salt - it's more "Goddammit Mei you're so annoying!" Or "Not this fucking Mei again!" Or "Fucking Mei goddammit!" Or any juxtaposition of those words, really.

DrArchon

The two oddities that stand out to me on the graph of characters used competitively are that Tracer is used more on defense than on offense, which seems incredibly counter intuitive to me, and Junkrat was apparently not used once on KotH, which seems like a huge missed opportunity to me. He's so good at holding off attackers just by himself that I figured KotH would be where he really shines.

Apparently not though.

I wish Dva was a better character. I think one thing that could help her a lot is if her shield absorbed shots and restored her armor on hit. Or make the shield last longer or shorter cooldown.

She is so fragile in the mech and so vulnerable when shooting.

Nah, this was on PS4. I was actually surprised that the bubble held myself - thought Reaper's ult would tear it up but now I know it doesn't which will come in handy!

I don't usually run into Mei salt - it's more "Goddammit Mei you're so annoying!" Or "Not this fucking Mei again!" Or "Fucking Mei goddammit!" Or any juxtaposition of those words, really.

Mei is one of those heroes where you're effectiveness doesn't always show up in your stats. I know I'm doing well as Mei if I have several characters chasing me even when I'm far away from the point.

abundant

Discussion: Who is the best Mercy damage boost combo?

I like Roadhog and Mercy. That shotgun, when damage boosted, can alt-fire and take chunks of Reinhardt's shield. Considering that's one of the major counters to Roadhog's hook, it's a nice little combo. Plus, he has self healing so switching off of DMG Boost to Heal will be kept to a minimum.

Pharmercy wreaks havoc and lets Mercy fly around behind her up in the air.

Soldier 76 is another really good combo. His gun's range is incredible, with barely any spread or recoil to consider.

What others?

Junkrat + Mercy is another good combo for damage boosting.

Grief.exe

I wish Dva was a better character. I think one thing that could help her a lot is if her shield absorbed shots and restored her armor on hit. Or make the shield last longer or shorter cooldown.

That's actually a decent buff idea.

Azoor

From what I heard. She is getting a buff.

Nazo

Had a fantastic game on Illios last night. Went 57 and 7 with Reaper. I didn't think I'ed break my record for eliminations in just a few days. Let alone on the same map.

The game was no steamroll either, probably one of the closest games I've played in a long while. Lots of back and forth between my team and the enemy team.

I think my favorite part was when my friends saw my score at the end of the match and one of them said. "Jesus, your a god damn terror!"

Good times.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Saved up 11 boxes and got 1 duplicate leg, thanks Blizzard.

LiK

She's very much a hit and run for some characters and facing a group. I usually try to fuck with enemies as much as possible and then boost away to a health pack. She's also much better with a healer helping her out. Better survivability. In terms of 1v1, she decimates snipers and support if she can get into their faces.

I do agree she needs a bit of a buff to last longer as a tank but I'm having a lot of fun with her current form.

Grief.exe

Had a fantastic game on Illios last night. Went 57 and 7 with Reaper. I didn't think I'ed break my record for eliminations in just a few days. Let alone on the same map.

The game was no steamroll either, probably one of the closest games I've played in a long while. Lots of back and forth between my team and the enemy team.

I think my favorite part was when my friends saw my score at the end of the match and one of them said. "Jesus, your a god damn terror!"

Good times.

If it was a steamroll, you wouldn't have had enough time to amass that many eliminations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom