• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but this whole discussion is about what Winston's counter is though. Dva is just another hero, not a Winston counter. I'm not even sure what people are arguing about at this point.

Well this one started when someone said that D.Va wrecks WInstons, which is true.

Gryph

so weird watching pro players and not seeing any turret users or snipers. I knew this already but still weird to see

watching live c9 vs TL

Matches have been pretty boring in my opinion. Meta for pro-players seems very fast, but pretty predictable.

Don't know, something about Overwatch is a lot more fun to play than to watch pro...

I dig watching streamers goofing around in queue, even in competitive there seems to be a lot of variety.

These tourney matches though... Doesn't grab me for some reason. I'm really not sure why, normally I dig watching e-sports.

Artanisix

His gun does pitiful damage to everyone. That's not important. Why? He does not have to aim it. Like Symmetra, this gives him a unique edge against D.Va (and a shielding Reinhardt) due to how slowly she maneuvers while firing. Get right up in D.Va's face, strafe, watch and lol as she tries to keep you targeted. It's actually a little cute. Symmetra is much better at this than Winston, admittedly, due to her smaller frame. But the tactic still holds. If D.Va is ever buffed and loses that move penalty while firing, then she will be a true counter to Winston. As is you're talking about damage from a character who can barely apply it to someone walking circles around her who also does not have to keep her in view.

you're just bad if you think winston > dva

armor works in such a way that it reduces each tick of damage by 5 points, this heavily reduces winston's damage output

dva favors up close fights as she actually has a scary amount of dps when close enough for all her shells to hit and is hitting a target big enough to fill all the shells. move penalty means nothing because it has no impact on her aiming penalty

X-Frame

Solo queuing I played against a group of ALL Level 100+ and they were so coordinated they had to be in a group. We could not push the Payload on Gibraltar beyond the 1st checkpoint.

This was after I remained searching for a game for about 1:30 minutes so it must have expanded the skill range a lot.

Satch

Banned
i know we all hate dva and her stans but she DOES have strengths against some heroes and winston is one of them

literally eats him alive, ive played it out before and he melts to her

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
DVa and Winston shouldn't even be fighting each other. It's a waste of both of their times. DVa wins though since even if the Winston is strafing you... You can just move your mouse! Your range is effectively the same, yet you out-DPS him, and Winston is one of the few that doesn't trigger DVa's massive head hitbox. Also armor.

However, if a Winston gets the jump on a weakish DVa, she is doomed once she pops out of her mech. Literally doomed.

exYle

DVa and Winston shouldn't even be fighting each other. It's a waste of both of their times. DVa wins though since even if the Winston is strafing you... You can just move your mouse! Your range is effectively the same, yet you out-DPS him, and Winston is one of the few that doesn't trigger DVa's massive head hitbox.

However, if a Winston gets the jump on a weakish DVa, she is doomed once she pops out of her mech. Literally doomed.

No lies detected

Actually, thinking about it now, it's funny how most heroes who counter D.Va's mech have trouble with her on foot, and vice versa

Zemm

Matches have been pretty boring in my opinion. Meta for pro-players seems very fast, but pretty predictable.

Don't know, something about Overwatch is a lot more fun to play than to watch pro...

I dig watching streamers goofing around in queue, even in competitive there seems to be a lot of variety.

These tourney matches though... Doesn't grab me for some reason. I'm really not sure why, normally I dig watching e-sports.

I'm the same, it's miles behind CS GO when it comes to spectating. It's easier to see the skill on display in that game compared to Overwatch which can end up looking messy.

Gryph

I'm the same, it's miles behind CS GO when it comes to spectating. It's easier to see the skill on display in that game compared to Overwatch which can end up looking messy.

Yeah. Maybe it's just the spectating process that seems sloppy, mostly due to the speed of the game.

If you're watching a single streamer you get to follow their "narrative" through the match, which seems more compelling to me... I really wish I could get into it, but I'm struggling to even stay tuned in for a single match of this tourney.

Symmetra's ability to stay alive during that encounter is why her smaller frame is important.

Not her damage, which would be completely irrelevant if she dies before she builds it up. Head to head, without strafing, D.Va murders Ms. Satya. Similarly, D.Va will not hit an up-close, strafing Winston 100%, while he will not suffer in the same manner. D.Va's movement penalty is a primary reason Winston (or Sym) is able to go toe to toe with her higher damage output.

In a 1v1 fight, Symmetra isn't even that strong versus D.Va, but where her strength lies is her damage output (which is more than twice as high as winston's at full charge). I don't even know this game where you think a symmetra can just run around a d.va and not get killed most of the time. Because a D.Va who can aim can demolish a symmetra before she hits level 3 charge. Keep in mind that D.VA doesn't have to move when fighting winston or symmetra, they both need to be in range of her weapon. And D.Va just out DPSes a Symmetra within her beam range.

And I can beat a Bastion who isn't having a great day as Winston, either. I am not going to suggest Winston is at all ideal to deal with that hero, though. That you're not even acknowledging how easy it is for a Symmetra to sashay in circles around D.Va tells me you haven't had to deal with that very much. A shielding Reinhardt or a D.Va up close is just a large target to fuel her photon gun levels and not much of an urgent threat.

This is the kind of player it seems like you're talking about when it comes to d.va https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKyjD4s5SoE - that is a long time to down a d.va. Someone with aim only has to hit her for 200 health? That's not hard with proper tracking skills..

But of course if your d.va aim is like the video, then of course that D.Va is not a threat. But against a D.VA that can aim, D.VA can kill her before she even hits level 3 and she doesn't even instantly win when she hits level 3. Armor also apparently cuts her level 3 down from 120 dps to 80.

Where symmetra shines against d.va is not in a 1v1 run around scenario. It's where symmetra is already fighting at an advantage and can contribute a lot of damage to both mech and d.va without having to worry about being gunned down or having her damage blocked by defense matrix.

BTW, auto aim isn't worth a damn vs d.va's mech since it's so huge you don't even need auto-aim to hit her at close range. And good players will easily hit you back at that range, it's the same thing with winston. SUre perhaps a bad winston beats a bad d.va, but d.va with aim simply out damages and outlasts winstn. She wins that fight almost every time, even if she doesn't get the kill.

edit:
Yes, got a bit off topic but think about winston in symmetra's shoes. He is just a huge target, less dps... Symmetra at least has the dps to down the mech while winston simply doesn't.

Because winston does rapid but weak ticks of damage, he has a hard time cutting through armor. His already unimpressive 54 DPS becomes 27 vs armor.

400 of D.Va's 500 health is armor. This means it takes Winston 400/27 + 100/54 = 16.67 seconds to kill D.Va. He also has to reload for 1.5 seconds for each 5 seconds of firing, so the total time to kill becomes 21.17 seconds. Depending on accuracy, D.Va kills him in about a fourth of that.

Source: oversheet

patchday

they were showing some clips of previous matches I guess that occurred earlier that at least had Widowmaker. I think I've seen every hero in the clips except Hanzo and torb

jotun?

When your strategy relies on your enemy not being able to hit one of the largest characters in the game at close range with fully automatic shotguns...

Walpurgis

Banned
DVa and Winston shouldn't even be fighting each other. It's a waste of both of their times. DVa wins though since even if the Winston is strafing you... You can just move your mouse! Your range is effectively the same, yet you out-DPS him, and Winston is one of the few that doesn't trigger DVa's massive head hitbox. Also armor.

DVa aims very slowly on console with default sensitivity.

When your strategy relies on your enemy not being able to hit one of the largest characters in the game at close range with fully automatic shotguns...

This... plus infinite ammo. What I don't get is this whole strafing argument. So what a winston (or symmetra) can strafe around a d.va? D.va can just... rotate. The movement speed while shooting is a downside for when your target runs away, not for when they just stay in range. Are people that bad at aiming?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
No lies detected

Actually, thinking about it now, it's funny how most heroes who counter D.Va's mech have trouble with her on foot, and vice versa
Except Soldier 76, who just wrecks you from a distance whether in or out of mech. If you get close he heals and sprints away... The bastard.

DVa aims very slowly on console with default sensitivity.
Yeah, definitely talking on the PC side of things. However, low dpi/sens would lead to the same issue.

Gryph

they were showing some clips of previous matches I guess that occurred earlier that at least had Widowmaker. I think I've seen every hero in the clips except Hanzo and torb

Yeah, the Luminosity VS Envyous match had some Sym at first point, and Widow as well.

But so much of the match was watching S76 and Pharah shooting at each other in third person... I don't know, maybe it's the third person camera work?

Something just doesn't click for me like it does when I watch Dota 2 / Hearthstone / CS....

Zemm

Yeah, the Luminosity VS Envyous match had some Sym at first point, and Widow as well.

But so much of the match was watching S76 and Pharah shooting at each other in third person... I don't know, maybe it's the third person camera work?

Something just doesn't click for me like it does when I watch Dota 2 / Hearthstone / CS....

You can see the kill feed in the top right corner and the commentators are like "3 people just died" but you don't see it, that happens so often that you can't really follow the game properly. Like you said with the narrative thing and following a single streamer you never feel the flow of the game with these tournaments, whereas with CS/HS you do, I can't even pinpoint why Overwatch isn't great to watch in tournament play but it just isn't.

BigDug13

Winston's gun does low damage per second with very fast hits of lightning and armor reduces each hit by 5 for a type of attack that already does barely any damage. So yeah Winston does poorly against the first 1/3 of Reinhart hps, Torb during molten core, and D.Va.

Oh man, just had a third round victory after the other team was at 99% and it hit overtime with us at 0%

Three gold medals and two silver as roadhog + the play of the game

I'm so happy

Azoor

i know we all hate dva and her stans but she DOES have strengths against some heroes and winston is one of them

D.va can actually be very effective in disrupting the enemy lines and even attracting attention away from other players. I always use her to fly over the enemy defence and go straight to the control point. Even if I die, the enemy team has his attention on me and not my teammates, which gives them a better chance of getting the control point.

Solo queuing I played against a group of ALL Level 100+ and they were so coordinated they had to be in a group. We could not push the Payload on Gibraltar beyond the 1st checkpoint.

This was after I remained searching for a game for about 1:30 minutes so it must have expanded the skill range a lot.

Yeah, the matchmaking gets a little wonky after a minute or so of searching. A fellow level 80 friend and I were matched up with players in their teens and single digits on Anubis attack. One was a level 3 who went Symmetra and plopped the teleporter in the spawn room. Didn't go super well.

Just played against a group on PS4 who apparently thought last week's brawl was rad and went all Soldier 76s. That shit was super annoying.

R0ckman

Yeah, the matchmaking gets a little wonky after a minute or so of searching. A fellow level 80 friend and I were matched up with players in their teens and single digits on Anubis attack. One was a level 3 who went Symmetra and plopped the teleporter in the spawn room. Didn't go super well.

They said if it searches too long MMR is sacrificed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She's always good. Even on teams with a Lucio/Zen.

exYle

Except Soldier 76, who just wrecks you from a distance whether in or out of mech. If you get close he heals and sprints away... The bastard.

True, but if I get up close to a Soldier in my mech and swallow his rockets and entire clip and he decides to start running, then I consider that a victory since D.Va's main role is disruption.

Negaduck

Re: Winston counter

I would say roadhog can counter Winston easy. Tesla cannon can't out dps the heal with roadhog so he does almost no damage to you. Roadhog should win that fight 90% of the time.

Canucked

Oh do I hate torb now. I don't even want to play as him cause people are wrecking him. Stop putting your turrets exactly where I had mine last match. I just pick junkrat and blindly bomb the same spot before even walking over. Too bad I have the super sexy biker skin I still want to use....

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So if I want to incorporate Mercy, are there certain situations in which she shines most brightly? Payload? KOTH? Defense? Attack?

Don't play her in solo unless you enjoy misery. There is never a bad time to have a Mercy but KoTH a Lucio would be a better pick.

R0ckman

Curious as to what draws people off of focusing on the payload? Everytime I've lost a payload match tonight people seemed chasing enemies around who were way off of it. One rival group even commented that our team was suppose to defend the payload implying almost no one was on it (I believe I got gold for that game on objective), its really weird the team I was on was great at KotH with communication but struggled in payload games. All games where we were steamrolled on defend payload missions involved their team sticking tight to the payload, I spectated an attack mission by our team, they were all over the place.

Even ocassionally on KotH I found 4 of our group members wasting time with a couple of enemies that werent really on the objective (like you see one character coming back to the arena from spawn). I say who cares if they arent on the point or focusing on it, kill them at the point.

Just trying to get a feel for why this happens to see how I can communicate to my team and understand what they are thinking, even with people who are communicating I find it happening, so I'm generally curious.

xaosslug

i mainly only use her to clear high walls/break defenses & light a fire under my team's butts when they get stopped-up and remains so.

but watching my brother play her she's pretty incredible. The way he uses her rocket boost and manages to stay alive/kill numerous other players in her human form and live long enough to call her robot back never fails to impress me.

Competitive gets real weird when people leave. Just played a game and a half where the first game, the entire other team left after the first round of Volskaya, then we got dumped into a match where everyone on my team left. Except me.

The following round and a half was basically 6v1 McCrees because we were all like "well fuck it's not like we got anything better to do." I think the other team was just impressed I decided to stick around for shits and giggles. Actually the funniest game of Overwatch I've ever played, but boy. Now you know why the penalty for leaving is so severe.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
It sucks, playing this game on console because I am shit with a keyboard and mouse but yet I feel I should be playing on PC.

PS4 players apparently don't know to destroy turrets, every time on defense I am getting between 25 and 30 kills.

Went 33 and 5 with 26 turret kills...the turret was in the middle of the objective, no cover around just sitting there and no one thought to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom