• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Matches have been pretty boring in my opinion. Meta for pro-players seems very fast, but pretty predictable.

Don't know, something about Overwatch is a lot more fun to play than to watch pro...

I dig watching streamers goofing around in queue, even in competitive there seems to be a lot of variety.

These tourney matches though... Doesn't grab me for some reason. I'm really not sure why, normally I dig watching e-sports.
I agree, but I think it would be fun if we could watch the games from within Overwatch and choose which player's view we want to watch. I think Dota has something like this, although I could be wrong.
Are there lists of gaf players I can add? I'm dying here playing as solo on PC.
In OP, you have to quote it.

X-Frame

Stupid question, but why do our own characters announce their Ults the way enemies do, but not the way we hear friendly teammates announce them?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Stupid question, but why do our own characters announce their Ults the way enemies do, but not the way we hear friendly teammates announce them?
Enemies hear that an enemy is ulting, teammates hear that a teammate is ulting.

I don't think that's consistent either. Mercy and Widowmaker, for example, use the English version of their callouts, just like friendly players would hear.

I'm guessing that for your own ults, they either just picked the one that sounded the coolest, or specifically picked the enemy version in most cases to teach you what to watch out for when the enemy team does it. Widow and Mercy ults are non-destructive (though as the new patch suggests, hearing Widow's callout is actually pretty important anyways).

Inumbris

I don't think that's consistent either. Mercy and Widowmaker, for example, use the English version of their callouts, just like friendly players would hear.

I'm guessing that for your own ults, they either just picked the one that sounded the coolest, or specifically picked the enemy version to teach you what to watch out for when the enemy team does it.

I believe that the bolded reason is why those lines were chosen. And if you think about why when playing as Mercy or Widowmaker you hear the friendly ult announcement, it's probably because those ults ultimately benefit members of the team as opposed to other ults directly effecting the opponents negatively. So those are the call-outs that will most interest you when a team-mate uses it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Tonight is the first night I think I've thought to myself "I've had enough."

I'm level 51. Have approximately 40 hours or so on the clock. Main a mix of Lucio, Mercy, Tracer, and Roadhog... with the occasional Hanzo or D.Va thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun. The gameplay is super tight. The rounds are fun. The environments are good. "Player agency" wise, it's easily in my Top Five FPSs of the last decade, alongside games like TF2 and R6: Siege.

But holy hell, two things are driving me away... and hard.

I know people are saying they're overestimating their own ability. But I admit I'm not good. I'm not a good sniper. I struggle balancing multiple targets. But I can stay on the payload. I can switch heroes as necessary. I'm happy to play support. I usually have about 75% hook accuracy with Roadhog. I've had several POTGs with Tracer. But man - nobody seems to every team up. It's just random after random after random - and nobody cares to do anything but snipe or chase a POTG. I know it's not everyone's experience - and I know there's a GAF group. But while I do play with some IRL friends from time to time, just ... everything about my teammates for half my games pisses me off. And ya know, it wouldn't be THAT awful if people would actually talk. But while I use my mic every game, I run into MAYBE one other talker a nigh. Maybe. Probably less than 25 folks, period, since playing.

Two, is the progression system sucks. Someone said it before, but I really liked the comment - I don't mind chasing a carrot at the end of the stick... but at the end of that stick, I do want that damn carrot.

Again - the game is good. Runs great. Looks great. Plays great. The core is phenomenal. But there just isn't a lot to keep me interested after hour 40 and 8 lost games in a row.

/rant

90% sure I'll be back on tomorrow.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Tonight is the first night I think I've thought to myself "I've had enough."

I'm level 51. Have approximately 40 hours or so on the clock. Main a mix of Lucio, Mercy, Tracer, and Roadhog... with the occasional Hanzo or D.Va thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun. The gameplay is super tight. The rounds are fun. The environments are good. "Player agency" wise, it's easily in my Top Five FPSs of the last decade, alongside games like TF2 and R6: Siege.

But holy hell, two things are driving me away... and hard.

I know people are saying they're overestimating their own ability. But I admit I'm not good. I'm not a good sniper. I struggle balancing multiple targets. But I can stay on the payload. I can switch heroes as necessary. I'm happy to play support. I usually have about 75% hook accuracy with Roadhog. I've had several POTGs with Tracer. But man - nobody seems to every team up. It's just random after random after random - and nobody cares to do anything but snipe or chase a POTG. I know it's not everyone's experience - and I know there's a GAF group. But while I do play with some IRL friends from time to time, just ... everything about my teammates for half my games pisses me off. And ya know, it wouldn't be THAT awful if people would actually talk. But while I use my mic every game, I run into MAYBE one other talker a nigh. Maybe. Probably less than 25 folks, period, since playing.

Two, is the progression system sucks. Someone said it before, but I really liked the comment - I don't mind chasing a carrot at the end of the stick... but at the end of that stick, I do want that damn carrot.

Again - the game is good. Runs great. Looks great. Plays great. The core is phenomenal. But there just isn't a lot to keep me interested after hour 40 and 8 lost games in a row.

/rant

90% sure I'll be back on tomorrow.

8 lost games in a row? Try around 22 for me.

breadtruck

I think Im going to have to look into this so-called PS4 gaf list.

I cant take these randoms and their stupidity any more. This game is way to infuriating in my old age when no one is playing the objective... or Im in a round with 3 sniper classes when we are on the attack side of a map.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Starting to really like Mercy. So much fun healing with her when I actually have people picking off opponents focusing me down. Also nice to be in groups where someone bothers to be a tank. I've had a bunch where there were no tanks and those matches were train wrecks. I'd have switched, but then there would have been no healer. =S

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
D.va can actually be very effective in disrupting the enemy lines and even attracting attention away from other players. I always use her to fly over the enemy defence and go straight to the control point. Even if I die, the enemy team has his attention on me and not my teammates, which gives them a better chance of getting the control point.

Preach it. I love getting the other team's attention. Having even just 1 or 2 of their heroes get sidetracked and chase me around the map can be really beneficial.

That's because everyone 's doing the Leroy Jenkins across the map away from the payload. One at a time. Over and over again.

Edit: At least with Randoms that's the case.

It can be painful. Last night we had the payload sitting just around the last corner for so long. At times there were at least 4 of our team alive and only me jumping around the payload like a loon. (And I would often check to make sure people hadn't just died.)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

I cant take these randoms and their stupidity any more. This game is way to infuriating in my old age when no one is playing the objective... or Im in a round with 3 sniper classes when we are on the attack side of a map.

With so many players that do this (regardless of platform) the first few weeks after ranked go live are gonna be exciting. =p

get someone to put you into the message thread and that will make finding matches easier.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Really hope ranked gets my friends list playing again, everyones given up :(

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm not about being the "hero." I don't care if I play under the radar every match.

But holy fuck, some games/nights it feels like I have no single-handed ability to change the outcome of the match. I can get 40+ eliminations. I can have 12+ revives. I can be on fire for 80% of the match. I can team kill twice.

And we still lose. Knowing that you have such little influence on the outcome of a match really sucks after a long streak of losing. It really makes you question "what's the point?"

spiritfox

Is it me who don't know how to use it, or is Genji's Ultimate a bit weak? I have to slash enemies twice or trice for them to die.

No, it's amazing against a group if you don't get focused. Use it together with your dash to clear squishies and damaged heroes. Just don't run in alone or you'll melt before you do anything.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'm not about being the "hero." I don't care if I play under the radar every match.

But holy fuck, some games/nights it feels like I have no single-handed ability to change the outcome of the match. I can get 40+ eliminations. I can have 12+ revives. I can be on fire for 80% of the match. I can team kill twice.

And we still lose. Knowing that you have such little influence on the outcome of a match really sucks after a long streak of losing. It really makes you question "what's the point?"

Team based multiplayer in a nutshell, there is actually something wrong with the system (Beit matchmaking or gameplay) if consistently a team based game is decided by one single person, sadly if you want this kind of impact you need to play 1v1 games.

Got my first Legendary card today, even though it happened to be on a loss.

6stBvby.jpg

Just got objective time and objective kills gold medals with...Widowmaker. Yes I was holding the gold medals until the last payload checkpoint when I had to switch to Lucio. I got four gold medals too lol. Seriously, I wasn't the only one pushing the payload.

Skel1ingt0n

Team based multiplayer in a nutshell, there is actually something wrong with the system (Beit matchmaking or gameplay) if consistently a team based game is decided by one single person, sadly if you want this kind of impact you need to play 1v1 games.

No, I agree with you.

That said, while it shouldn't be consistent... it should be sometimes possible.

I know I keep bringing it up, but R6: Siege does this perfectly. Teams of five. Your teammates and their class selection are critical. Communication is critical. And sometimes, as evenly matched as most games are (the MM is very good), sometimes the enemy just outplays your team. But when that happens, and it's 5v1... watch, and you'll see most teams stay supportive and root for their guy. It's unlikely, but against five, you can clutch if you're good, have some good communication, have a little luck on your side, and you play better than you've played all night.

Here, I can blow up the medals and kick ass on the objective and in kills, and most the time it doesn't matter.

Tenck

Guys. Wow. WOW. The PTR is incredible. When I was watching the game before release, all the footage I saw was people grouping up, communicating and playing the game the way it was meant to be played. And of course, I was more than a little disappointed when I played the game for real and found out that people don't really care to talk at all. I mean, I even bought a microphone and everything, just for this game! But competitive... everyone is in it to win it! Just had a game with absolutely rock solid teamwork. Reinhardt shielding Bastion, me damage boosting the Bastion, Torbjorn providing turret and armor support, with Pharah and Hanzo clearing flankers. Our defense was impenetrable, and we held them back for over six minutes without even giving up the first point. No toxicity. No raging over mics. Just people asking for healing, listening and actually protecting the healing, paying attention to flankers and callouts. It was amazing.

Competitive is dreams baby. Competitive is dreams.

It's beautiful alright
1055a9cafb.jpg

TheFatMan

Starting to feel burnt out on the Watch as of now. I'm almost 60 hours played though so I can't complain.

Got a pretty solid mix of Soldier, Mercy, Lucio, Tracer, Torb and Hanzo over 5 hours each.

At this point though I feel like the games are starting to blur together, it's the same stuff every match.

Either I banned for some reason or there's Xbox one/battle.net issues. Keep on getting unable to connect to battle.net. Error code BC-152 I think.

Any other Xbox one Overwatch gamer having this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom