• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossybrew

For all the endless discussion about countering characters I don't think I've ever heard anyone state the obvious: if you're having trouble with X character, just pick A, B, or C. Right? How many times have we heard this glib advice? But it's not a 1 on 1 game. If you switch to another character, you may do better against a particular opponent, but now you're weaker to other enemies, and now you're right back in the initial position, now character Y is giving you trouble. And never mind the fact that the opponents are changing characters at will too. It's an endlessly circular situation and I'm starting to think it's the rotten core of this game, the entire rock-paper-scissors idea where you will always be vulnerable to other classes, always questioning your character of choice at that moment.

I've realized that this is the core of my frustration with this game. For an alternate example, Battlefield 4. Played countless hours. Yes each class had different abilities, but I never felt this level of frustration. This constant back of the mind idea of, am I playing the right character for these opponents? I'd switch classes simply on my mood, not in some knee-jerk reaction to a successful opponent or two. I could tailor my guns even within each class to fit my playstyle. There was a level of comfort there that I'm not finding in Overwatch.

I have no doubt this game is a great deal of fun for a lot of people. And I get that fun, in small doses, in rare moments where the stars align. But for me there's too much of the other stuff. I'm thinking for my particular tastes, Overwatch is an incredibly attractive shell around a lifeless, broken husk of a gameplay core. It's the popular, attractive person that everyone seems to like, but leaves me feeling cold. In other words it's the psychopath, that mimics everything but at it's core is a cold, calculating, corporate void.

Apathy

people are too stupid for this game.

I rip tire to scatter the opponents team and i run it into the wall to hold it, my team does nothing to try to pass the choke on hanamura, they just stand there. Like move motherfuckers the other team scattered we can go, but nope, that does not go through their tiny heads at all

Firebrand

Are double Hanzo's some kind of meme? Besides it I've also been getting Double Genji's.
Just played Attack on Dorado. One Genji, one Hanzo, one undecided player... "No supports"... *suspense*... *GENJI*.

I switched to support, but he kept whining about our team and he got shut down by Widow of all enemies.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is it wrong to turn off mics in random matches? Usually people are pretty quiet in the ones I've done but when people start talking it gets nasty fast. =p

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
For all the endless discussion about countering characters I don't think I've ever heard anyone state the obvious: if you're having trouble with X character, just pick A, B, or C. Right? How many times have we heard this glib advice? But it's not a 1 on 1 game. If you switch to another character, you may do better against a particular opponent, but now you're weaker to other enemies, and now you're right back in the initial position, now character Y is giving you trouble. And never mind the fact that the opponents are changing characters at will too. It's an endlessly circular situation and I'm starting to think it's the rotten core of this game, the entire rock-paper-scissors idea where you will always be vulnerable to other classes, always questioning your character of choice at that moment.

I've realized that this is the core of my frustration with this game. For an alternate example, Battlefield 4. Played countless hours. Yes each class had different abilities, but I never felt this level of frustration. This constant back of the mind idea of, am I playing the right character for these opponents? I'd switch classes simply on my mood, not in some knee-jerk reaction to a successful opponent or two. I could tailor my guns even within each class to fit my playstyle. There was a level of comfort there that I'm not finding in Overwatch.

I have no doubt this game is a great deal of fun for a lot of people. And I get that fun, in small doses, in rare moments where the stars align. But for me there's too much of the other stuff. I'm thinking for my particular tastes, Overwatch is an incredibly attractive shell around a lifeless, broken husk of a gameplay core. It's the popular, attractive person that everyone seems to like, but leaves me feeling cold. In other words it's the psychopath, that mimics everything but at it's core is a cold, calculating, corporate void.

At the end of the day, everyone will have their favourites, and should naturally pick depending on their mood. This may not fly for competetive play, and may be frowned upon in ranked, but it should be obvious for freeplay.

Games, including this one, are ultimately about having fun. If you feel "forced" into choosing a character, that's on you. Doesn't matter whether it be coercion by other players or the underlying meta; it's still on you.

Of course, the counter pick guides out there are purely there as reference. if you (and/or your team) are really struggling against a certain hero, it wouldn't hurt to switch and see if you can shut them down, or at least shake them up a bit. A bit of flexibility will allow you to become a better player, thereby increasing your chances of winning and having fun while doing so. But again, you shouldn't feel forced to. Just keep enjoying the games you do, stay off the voice chat if people are getting nasty about it, and lay off visiting places like this that thrive on the metagame and theorising if it's affecting your enjoyment so much.

Pachimari

No, it's amazing against a group if you don't get focused. Use it together with your dash to clear squishies and damaged heroes. Just don't run in alone or you'll melt before you do anything.

I'll keep that in mind!

And I got my first Play of the Game with Soldier 76!

R0ckman

people are too stupid for this game.

I rip tire to scatter the opponents team and i run it into the wall to hold it, my team does nothing to try to pass the choke on hanamura, they just stand there. Like move motherfuckers the other team scattered we can go, but nope, that does not go through their tiny heads at all

They might be assuming the team may be bold and attempt a group tire melt if they can spot it in time, if thats the case they would just melt your group too.

I feel bad when I rush a team and take two objectives instantly with Winston and my teammates healing/pushing with me. I feel like Volskaya industries and its two objective mode are kinda balanced badly; the timer is too long and there are two objectives, but some maps offer great choke points for defenders.

I know that the map is banned in tournies, but I feel like the two objectives mode is kinda favoring attackers; they have a lot of time and the maps offer multiple routes ( I know that Volskaya and ToA have defense-favoring choke points). We just won a match in Volskaya 2-0 (almost won without them taking the first objective), but I am still not convinced. I was involved in a complete shutdown in the Egypt map where the other team didn't let us get past the first choke point. Granted, I had a badly coordinated team but I felt like that map and its objective mission type are both bad.

I know that a lot of people complained about the two maps I just mentioned, and they are already banned in tournies, but is that objective mission balanced in the first place? It looks like an imbalanced KoTH mode. I could be wrong on that; it could just be the maps (ToA favors defenders statistically).

I found myself unable to counter-pick on numerous occasions because I was the only tank or healer.

R0ckman

I've been holding my team back with these stupid cross hairs on Widow, much better with dot, for some reason my head snipping went to hell when I switched it to that during training and forgot to change it back.

JasonV

Im playing Zarya. I have my energy at full charge. My ult is ready. The enemy bunch up perfectly and I drop my gavitron ball or whatever the hell it is. I didn't even fuck up like I usually do and have to reload because Im too dumb to look at my ammo counter. The stars align. Im actually grinning in real life. And Mei drops a fucking ice wall right in front of me. Im at the Greek map on the point so I can't even run around it because she blocked me into that small corridor.

I thought this only happened in memes.

Is it wrong to turn off mics in random matches? Usually people are pretty quiet in the ones I've done but when people start talking it gets nasty fast. =p
I disabled it on pc, I'm not putting up with random moaning at me while I push solo and they keep dying to a reaper or tracer

Apathy

They might be assuming the team may be bold and attempt a group tire melt if they can spot it in time, if thats the case they would just melt your group too.

bad assumption. everyone has learn to scatter for the tire. and I'm also not a baddie. I held the tire first specifically cause I know people on the other team hear the call they start pre shooting spots where it can come, if they dont see it right away then they panic and start wondering where it can come from and on hanamura there are only 2 spots.

The idea is to rely on teammates to cover your weakness and avoid the situations your pick isn't suited for. You are not going to find an all purpose lone wolf uncounterable character to choose every round. Picking a character is an important choice but you can't obsess over being able to counter every opponent or avoid any character that could be countered. Switching is important but you shouldn't be doing it constantly, you'll never build your ult that way.

BoneyardBrew

Neo Member
Oh weird, didn't know that they would implement something like that. Kinda wish that they would do it in more games.
Yeah, definitely a cool concept and unique to Hollywood so far. Get's a bit repetitive, though. We'll probably see more like that from time to time in future maps.

Right now, the meta feels a bit stale already and I feel like frustration has started to set in for portion of the community. I think the following changes would go a long way towards making the game more fun for the majority of players (so yes, nerfing Torb even though aggregated pro stats say "he's trash").

Hero Stacking: Removed from all non-brawl gamemodes. An interesting and forgivable experiment at launch, but the cause of too much frustration across the board, from bad team comps to heroes that get exponentially more irritating when there's multiples of them on the board.

Hanzo: Arrow hitbox decreased significantly. Arrows headshotting people behind walls is one of the most frustrating things in the game, and should have never shipped in current state.

Genji: Deflect does bonus damage to Torbjorn turrets.

Torbjorn: Ultimate gain for turret shots reduced significantly. Turret target switching speed increased by 100%. These combined with eliminating hero stacking would do a lot for the griping associated with him.

Mei: Primary fire range reduced very slightly.

Reinhardt: Too much of the game revolves around either shooting AT Reinhardt's shield or THROUGH his shield, depending on your team. I would reduce his shield health by 200 (for a start) and possibly increase his movement speed penalty while his shield is up.

Tracer: Aim assist on primary fire reduced significantly (console specific)

Junkrat: Ultimate cooldown increased.

The satisfaction when the terrible player on your team who went Torbjorn on KOTH (which we still pulled off) gets put on the enemy team and you get to repeatedly shred his face

bunny luv

BigDug13

Ended the night attacking Dorado against three Torb, 1 bastion, 1 mei, 1 mercy. Was doing fine until the very last part where they are 2 steps away from their spawn and we are 20 seconds from ours. Bastion rips D.Va out of her armor in a second so no counter to three turrets from her. Only three of us were grouped so our coordination was only half. Didn't really have any effective way to break through that. PS4 btw so Torb is extra powerful because our aiming sucks. It just sucks to lose based on a class PICK instead of skill. All the Torbs did the ENTIRE match was try putting turrets down and hammering on them. Even when I was shooting right at the Torb's face at point blank range, he would continue to hammer, hoping to get his turret going. Way to skill. But once they were able to get all three down and alternate molten cores, game over.

Ramirez

I get booted with a message saying PSN is undergoing maintenance, and yet I'm still in the party and everyone is still playing, lol.

My luck is shit lately.

Scirrocco

The satisfaction when the terrible player on your team who went Torbjorn on KOTH (which we still pulled off) gets put on the enemy team and you get to repeatedly shred his face

bunny luv

I've gone Torb on KOTH. Its honestly not that bad idea. Especially during an over time, where you have people rushing the point, they don't have the time or organization to deal with your turret. Helps take them out quickly so you can finish capping. And his m2 attack is damn powerful.

Plus since everyones dying in a small area, theres always scrap around, so armor can be up almost all the time.

I wouldn't recommend it every game, but its good to occasionally surprise the enemy.

gnexus

Level 65, and finally got that 20 kill streak achievement with Tracer on a KOTH map, and I don't have much practice with Tracer at all!

Feels good.

I've gone Torb on KOTH. Its honestly not that bad idea. Especially during an over time, where you have people rushing the point, they don't have the time or organization to deal with your turret. Helps take them out quickly so you can finish capping. And his m2 attack is damn powerful.

Plus since everyones dying in a small area, theres always scrap around, so armor can be up almost all the time.

I wouldn't recommend it every game, but its good to occasionally surprise the enemy.

Hid near behind the first door to the main area and left his turret there, still getting sought out and killed repeatedly. Torbjorn on KOTH isn't completely terrible but it requires at least some skill on the part of the person playing him.

Xeteh

Right now, the meta feels a bit stale already and I feel like frustration has started to set in for portion of the community. I think the following changes would go a long way towards making the game more fun for the majority of players (so yes, nerfing Torb even though aggregated pro stats say "he's trash").

Hero Stacking: Removed from all non-brawl gamemodes. An interesting and forgivable experiment at launch, but the cause of too much frustration across the board, from bad team comps to heroes that get exponentially more irritating when there's multiples of them on the board.

Hanzo: Arrow hitbox decreased significantly. Arrows headshotting people behind walls is one of the most frustrating things in the game, and should have never shipped in current state.

Genji: Deflect does bonus damage to Torbjorn turrets.

Torbjorn: Ultimate gain for turret shots reduced significantly. Turret target switching speed increased by 100%. These combined with eliminating hero stacking would do a lot for the griping associated with him.

Mei: Primary fire range reduced very slightly.

Reinhardt: Too much of the game revolves around either shooting AT Reinhardt's shield or THROUGH his shield, depending on your team. I would reduce his shield health by 200 (for a start) and possibly increase his movement speed penalty while his shield is up.

Tracer: Aim assist on primary fire reduced significantly (console specific)

Junkrat: Ultimate cooldown increased.

Hopefully you're not allowed near any balancing at Blizzard.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
9d6hnIj.gif

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Im playing Zarya. I have my energy at full charge. My ult is ready. The enemy bunch up perfectly and I drop my gavitron ball or whatever the hell it is. I didn't even fuck up like I usually do and have to reload because Im too dumb to look at my ammo counter. The stars align. Im actually grinning in real life. And Mei drops a fucking ice wall right in front of me. Im at the Greek map on the point so I can't even run around it because she blocked me into that small corridor.

I thought this only happened in memes.

Please tell me it was at least an enemy Mei...

Boy when playing defense on Anubis as Reaper if you play it smart you're fucking impossible to kill. There are 3 large health kits all right by each other that are almost exactly the distance of Wraith form apart. I think I spent more of that match being chased by two or three people rather than actually killing anyone. It was still a ton of fun though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So im watching videoa on the ranked stuff, some interesting things like distance travelled in payload maps, but I see no mention of hero stacking.

Is it still in?

Nimby

Banned
I'm like the only person on console who thinks Torb doesn't need a nerf. Limit hero stacking and I feel that will solve most of the problems.

Xeteh

Haha, you sure showed that guy, wow!

Did you just refer to yourself as "that guy"?

Actually most of those are bang on. At least on console. Nerf Bastion as well and then we might get attack/defence games that aren't almost exactly the same every damn time.

All his proposed nerfs essentially break the characters in to uselessness. So instead of finding ways to maintain a better balance you'd rather see characters just removed from the game and be replaced by the next strongest thing.

The idea is to rely on teammates to cover your weakness and avoid the situations your pick isn't suited for. You are not going to find an all purpose lone wolf uncounterable character to choose every round. Picking a character is an important choice but you can't obsess over being able to counter every opponent or avoid any character that could be countered. Switching is important but you shouldn't be doing it constantly, you'll never build your ult that way.

I don't think anyone's having that problem. Every bad team loss I've seen for the most part, has 5 dudes who refuse to change characters, no matter how hard they're being stomped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom