• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should try to learn Winston but I feel like he has the same problem in randoms as Zarya does.
My experience using Winston with randoms isn't the best. A lot of times I leap in to disrupt and distract the opposing team, only to find out my teammates aren't pushing forward at all so I end up dying in vein. :(

Mupod

I can't heal shitty play.

the only reason I use Zenyatta over the other supports (aside from KOTH) is because I get incredibly frustrated at watching a Mercy on the back line go unmolested as my teammates just shoot whatever is closest/biggest. I need SOME kind of offense when I'm with randoms or I go insane. I wish people would actually shoot the target I've Discorded as a 'suggestion', maybe they should do a UI thing like a big flashing 'HEY KILL THIS ASSHOLE' arrow.

Kamion

That's one of my favorite things to do as D.va. Fly in, hit defense matrix on the way in, take out the torb and his stupid turret.

Feels especially great if you - against all odds - survive until boost is up again and just fly away to heal up.

the only reason I use Zenyatta over the other supports (aside from KOTH) is because I get incredibly frustrated at watching a Mercy on the back line go unmolested as my teammates just shoot whatever is closest/biggest. I need SOME kind of offense when I'm with randoms or I go insane. I wish people would actually shoot the target I've Discorded as a 'suggestion', maybe they should do a UI thing like a big flashing 'HEY KILL THIS ASSHOLE' arrow.

I have the worst K/D (and also win rate) on Mercy, it's not even funny. In pubs NO ONE takes care of Mercy. I can be as good as I want at flying around. I just don't pick her anymore. Which is too bad because when Mercy works she's one of my favourite heroes to play.

had a couple of amazing games today. started off badly capturing A but managed to get it together to win that round. 2nd round the other team had B at 99% so was pretty sure we were gonna lose since we were only at 50-something%. we got in and held them off and won it! another game we won again but it was mostly enjoyable because i felt i played really well as D.va + Pharah.

my internet has been acting up since. i'm desperate to jump back in. can't believe how much fun this is even when it ends up in a defeat.

Mupod

I've mentioned the joys of Zarya vs mass Torbjorn before but there's really nothing funnier than watching 3-4 of them scatter in a panic as 100 energy balls are falling on their turrets, as they futilely try to repair them.

I've mentioned the joys of Zarya vs mass Torbjorn before but there's really nothing funnier than watching 3-4 of them scatter in a panic as 100 energy balls are falling on their turrets, as they futilely try to repair them.

Bad Torbjörns maybe. Zarya is no threat to my Torbjörn. Once her bubble is gone, she's fresh meat to me. D.Va is a little scary though.

DrArchon

I'd love to use Zarya against Torb if a) her shield lasted just a bit longer, and b) I was good enough to stay at high energy for long periods of time.

As it stands when I want a Torb turret dead I use Pharah or Junrat for the most part. Reaper's also not bad if you can get around behind everyone. That way you can kill Torb easily and take out the turret at your leisure without worrying about that munchkin making another one right away.

Onemic

Yeah, with randos I feel like Reinhardt is just a better pick. It's apparently more intuitive for people to sit behind Reinhardt's barrier and shoot dudes than it is for people to shoot dudes while shielded by Zarya.

If disorganized teams of randos I wouldn't pick Zarya unless someone else has picked another tank.

I feel like its even worse with Reinhardt because no one gets behind you and stays together as a unit. Reinhardt becomes much less effective if he isnt grouped up with your team.

And in Pubs no one gets behind his barrier. For some reason they'd rather go in from of it and die.

Kamion

Feels like the thread is stuck in a "Fuck Torbjörn stacks" "lol Torbs can't handle muh _____" "Gud Torbs tho" loop.

Well, Torb stacks are awful, especially on console. A single Torb I can easily destroy regularly as D.Va but multiple need coordination so it's awful on pubs.

I think I'm finally starting to really get how to play as Winston.

If I'm in the center of the fight, I'll be the first to go. But if I pounce away when I see the enemy coming in, and then pounce back when the battle starts, I can get double and triple kills all the time.

I feel a little scumbaggy doing it, though. It's like, "Here, team, take this bubble while I run away from the fight only to come back when I can help clean up."

The problem is, if I don't play him like cavalry, he dies way, way too quickly to be anything more than a speed bump.

Feels like the thread is stuck in a "Fuck Torbjörn stacks" "lol Torbs can't handle muh _____" "Gud Torbs tho" loop.

To be fair, that same loop is followed when talking about McCree and Widowmaker, pre-nerfs. And a little after the nerfs, too.

But isn't that the same veins of discussion with any online multiplayer?

What player level are you and did you buy loot boxes?

The only skin I am thinking about getting is the Okami one for Hanzo but I am hoping it drops for me.
115 and no.

Bruh D. Va's junker akin is the best in the game and all of Bastion's are dope. You're crazy.

Junker is not speaking to me fam. And those Bastion skins are the stuff only a mother could love. The only one of his that looks decent to me is Omnic crisis and I'm not sure if I'm about that 250c for a color swap life.

Onemic

Well, Torb stacks are awful, especially on console. A single Torb I can easily destroy regularly as D.Va but multiple need coordination so it's awful on pubs.

just hard counter with stacked Dvas/widows.

One Dva ult can take out a bunch of stacked torb turrets in one go

scoobs

It can't be said enough, the matchmaker in this game is infuriatingly bad. A team full of 30-60's versus a bunch of 120+ guys that won in 3 minutes. It's not every game, but its gotta be about a third of them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Torb turrets are kinda nuts on console
  • Crazy range
  • Super fast rate of fire
  • Almost inmediate tracking
  • Hella accurate

Would be cool If any of that is nerfed.

LiK

Always weird to me that Torb's turrets doesn't require reloading while Bastion does. I mean, at least give the turret a cooldown.

Kamion

just hard counter with stacked Dvas/widows.

One Dva ult can take out a bunch of stacked torb turrets in one go

Yeah but on console pubs everything that includes multiple people having to switch to counter something usually results in a loss. It's too bad.

Actually, if you play against me just go Reaper, I can't deal with him no matter what I play :p

DrArchon

If you're having trouble with Torb, OC uploaded a guide for him this week.

https://youtu.be/8QMO4P9Kq5I

The problem that immediately jumps out after watching that video is that their solutions for Torb stacks and defended Torbs basically require a well coordinated team, which you'll almost never have if you're playing with randoms. I think that's the real problem with Torb. The amount of coordination and general game knowledge required to beat him isn't comparable to the amount needed to play him well. Simply put, he's an easy to play pub-stomper like Bastion, so he must be a nightmare for Blizzard to balance.

I have the worst K/D (and also win rate) on Mercy, it's not even funny. In pubs NO ONE takes care of Mercy. I can be as good as I want at flying around. I just don't pick her anymore. Which is too bad because when Mercy works she's one of my favourite heroes to play.

My K/D is awful with Mercy as well (0.03 I think) but my win rate is quite high (72%). But I don't understand how these Mercy players are getting kills? When are they using their pistol? The only time I use my pistol is when I'm the only one left standing, otherwise it makes more sense in my mind to be heal/buff another team member who has better damage output and helps charge my Ult quicker.

I think I'm finally starting to really get how to play as Winston.

If I'm in the center of the fight, I'll be the first to go. But if I pounce away when I see the enemy coming in, and then pounce back when the battle starts, I can get double and triple kills all the time.

I feel a little scumbaggy doing it, though. It's like, "Here, team, take this bubble while I run away from the fight only to come back when I can help clean up."

The problem is, if I don't play him like cavalry, he dies way, way too quickly to be anything more than a speed bump.

Yup, he's become my go-to for KOTH matches now when I play tank, after I barely played him before. Leap to the point, throw down a shield so my teammates can fire from under it, and then look for my spot to jump forward and cause some chaos before springing back to find our Lucio or a health pack.

Him and D.Va are becoming some of my favorites to play because of their ability at getting into somebody's face and just completely throwing them off their game. Oh, hello, little Widowmaker. Think you've found yourself a cozy little sniping spot where you can hang out for a while? Think again.

Kamion

My K/D is awful with Mercy as well (0.03 I think) but my win rate is quite high (72%). But I don't understand how these Mercy players are getting kills? When are they using their pistol? The only time I use my pistol is when I'm the only one left standing, otherwise it makes more sense in my mind to be heal/buff another team member who has better damage output and helps charge my Ult quicker.

Doesn't a kill assist with the buff also count as an elimination in that statistic? Or am I wrong on that?

Yeah, I've used my gun as Mercy when my team wiped around me and there's nobody left but me, but I also use it as a warning system to the rest of the team when I spot somebody sneaking around a flank and nobody seems to have noticed it but me. And there are times, honestly, when my team is just dominating so well and aren't losing health at all when I figure, "Shit, they don't even need the damage boost with how much ass they're kicking! I'll just try to pick off stragglers with low health and help with the push."

Really, as Mercy there's two things I'm looking at: the health gauges of all my teammates of course, but also the health gauges of the enemies. If an enemy in the distance is on their last few hitpoints and nobody else on my team is shooting at them, might as well pull out the gun and try to pick them off.

Still, even with all that, my K/D ratio with her 0.09 to 1, so I don't use the gun all that much. :)

I primarily play Mercy (like, 95% of my playtime). My K/D is .33. It started going up when I realized that I should be damage buffing less. Most of your non-healing time should be spent shooting, not buffing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My experience using Winston with randoms isn't the best. A lot of times I leap in to disrupt and distract the opposing team, only to find out my teammates aren't pushing forward at all so I end up dying in vein. :(

He does decently in KotH maps and you can pick him to counter widows.

DrArchon

I'll use her pistol to take potshots at Torb turrets and Bastions that aren't focused on me. Sometimes I'll even blow them up, or in the case of Bastion I'll get him to go away for a bit. It's very accurate at a distance so if no one needs immediate healing then I'll definitely try to do a little damage of my own.

I'm not good enough to get repeated hits on quick up-close targets though.

To be honest, I don't think most people care about their kdr, I just think they don't fully understand how the game works. I'm convinced there's a huge amount of players who don't even understand how overtime works.

Nah. Not at level 60+ and some of these guys have prestiged and do the same stuff. The whole don't understand the game isn't valid when you have been playing a game for over 50 hours. This game isn't that complex. There are only 2 1/2 modes.

Join the DM team labor

It's the same on PC....

I have to imagine the explanation why Torb is such a hassle on console is because Widow seems to not be nearly as effective on console. If there were 2 or more Torbs on a team in my experience on PC, it would be a waste because a single Widow even post nerf, can deal with the turrets quickly,

Right now on PC his effectiveness is very situational and on specific maps.

kromeo

A Mercy once single-handedly killed my McCree when I was at full health. The most embarrassing moment in my Overwatch career.

Lol i mentioned that a couple of days ago, i messed up the flashbang and then couldn't hit her while she kept weaving behind a pillar. I didn't use McCree for a while after that, couldn't bare the shame..

Kamion

I primarily play Mercy (like, 95% of my playtime). My K/D is .33. It started going up when I realized that I should be damage buffing less. Most of your non-healing time should be spent shooting, not buffing.

I guess that depends on who's around you? A damage buffed good Junkrat will always be more useful than your pistol I suppose.

IbukiLordSA

Disagree, the only time you should be shooting instead of buffing is behind a shield to take out turrets or stragglers if there is no one around you or if you are by yourself trying to survive and even then it is better to try lock onto a team mate somewhere and fly away. Otherwise buffing a Soldier or Pharah who are besides you will yield far more effective damage output than you just shooting.

Winston works best with randoms in my experience as a second tank and not as the initiator of pushes. You can help with the bubble at times but most often I use him to pick of the juicy targets in the back (Widow, Hanzo, Mercy) to soften up the team and hopefully the other tank initiates the push when there's an obvious advantage.

Mupod

Bad Torbjörns maybe. Zarya is no threat to my Torbjörn. Once her bubble is gone, she's fresh meat to me. D.Va is a little scary though.

D-Va has to get close, a Zarya that can aim doesn't. I don't know exactly how much health a turret has or how much damage a full power orb does, but it feels like a level 2 can't live through 2-3, and anything near it is also gonna die. I play patiently and when I push you can assume I have 400 hp, at least one bubble off cooldown, and 80-90 energy. The reason I feel like I'm strong against Torbjorn is because unlike other characters I can fight him on my terms, it won't be fair and no matter how much skill you have I'm going to get at least one turret and mess up somebody else. I won't die either and I'll be back in 10 seconds to do it again. And I usually can do it while taking fire from the enemy team, which is the real problem.

That's why I say Zarya is my turret counter and not Junkrat. He can kill turrets WAY faster and doesn't need 30 seconds of footsies and baiting to build up. But I can't count on randoms to give me the support I need to deal with everyone else. Likewise I'll stand there with Reinhardt and people will say 'hey cool shield now I can safely run past this turret fuck everyone else'.

These are my thoughts as well. I always feel if someone else is alive it's better for me to be healing or buffing their damage than shooting my pistol.

Disagree, the only time you should be shooting instead of buffing is behind a shield to take out turrets or stragglers if there is no one around you or if you are by yourself trying to survive and even then it is better to try lock onto a team mate somewhere and fly away. Otherwise buffing a Soldier or Pharah who are besides you will yield far more effective damage output than you just shooting.

Yeah, this is my line of thought too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom