• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

kromeo

Been holding onto my 1000g for ages, can't decide what to buy... I'm thinking maybe Arctic Zarya, she's far from my most used character but I really don't like her default

I play pretty much every character except Hanzo - I just don't like the way he works. Oh, and that Russian tank, I think she's Russian anyways. Could never get used to her.

I was just giving you crap since the past few Widows I've gone up against have been absolute machines. I don't know if I got bumped into a new bracket or something because I've been on these threads saying how Widow is not that bad, etc.

I could usually back them off with pressure and secure the kill on chase, but lately, these ones I'm going up against have absolutely no problem looking at the whites of my eye before putting a bullet in it.

K/D is useless in this game, imo. I would gladly sacrifice myself to push for the contested points. Done that many times when my teammates are respawning.

I wouldnt say its useless, but wins are the most important. You do what you need to do to win, but if you dont have players on your team that can have a positive K/D then youll likely lose as well. Depends on the role of the character and player really. You just need people to participate in a way that benefits the team, and that includes people having a good K/D if it benefits the teams. Guys like that guy, just seems like selfish players who are focused on K/D at the sake of the team.

R0ckman

Ran a quick game and ran into a couple of know-it-alls on my team. A Reaper was complaining about us throwing the game when the opposing team ran a single tank and he kept running into the killzones on Lijiang because being on point is more important than winning the team fight so that you can survive on it. At the same time a Zarya was complaining about us having no counter to the 2x Pharah on the other team, only begrudgingly switching to S76 close to overtime on the final point ("Not gonna tank for you losers"). A third person thought it was a bad decision to counter Pharah with S76.

I assume all of these players like me are currently writing some sour posts about bad team mates on some forum lol. (Edit: I don't really think they were bad as much as they were overestimating the impact their performance had in our team). Thinking on what I could have done, I probably should have offered to counterpick Pharah if someone else would have replaced my Lucio. I'm starting to realise that I'm just not very good with him, or rather that I'm more successful playing offense or Mercy when it comes to support.

Cobalt is an ace colour. I'd pay for it if I didn't already have the gold skin for her, although I'm currently running Sigurd which I got in a box. Many of the epic skins look just as good as legendaries tbh

I'd rather have people critisizing during the game than not to be honest.

The Reaper wanted to focus on the point to contest it, depending on the situation, you get overtime or you stall it from being taken. I say its better for the majority of the team to fight on the point. Had a game where I was the only one on the point the whole time, my group stayed together but didn't bother with the point?

Had a game where I was Tracer constantly clutching the point myself while my team tries fighting off point continually melting, it was nerve racking as I had to keep it in overtime my self for a group respawn 2 or 3 times that match.

Finally getting over my anxiety with talking to teammates. Damn overwatch is so much more fun when you talking to new friends!

Btw. Zarya/Mercy combo is beast.

I recommended the combo to a pub group, they gave me an attitude and some snark, they of course, were the first to leave when they were mowed down.

Some of the people playing this game.

Been holding onto my 1000g for ages, can't decide what to buy... I'm thinking maybe Arctic Zarya, she's far from my most used character but I really don't like her default

I think the goggles hurts that skin. It just seems like such an unnecessary addition But if I got it for free, I'd 100% rock it. I wouldn't rock the "punk" skins even if they gave them to me.

Nice to see all this Zarya love. If you play her with a proper amount of patience and get good at using her shields reactively, she's godtier.

Speaking of, if I see one more person pick Zarya on a team that has little or no aggressive heroes, I'm going to scream.

Got lucky and got the Valkyrie Mercy skin! Now I don't have to spend my coins on it like I was planning!

grats. best skin.

Finally getting over my anxiety with talking to teammates. Damn overwatch is so much more fun when you talking to new friends!

Btw. Zarya/Mercy combo is beast.

Lucio/Zarya on any payload map on offense just wrecks. I survived on the payload for two minutes while in overtime to win the match. Just kept on healing and Zarya would pop the shield for me, then use my ult and jump around like nuts.

Apt101

I was just giving you crap since the past few Widows I've gone up against have been absolute machines. I don't know if I got bumped into a new bracket or something because I've been on these threads saying how Widow is not that bad, etc.

I could usually back them off with pressure and secure the kill on chase, but lately, these ones I'm going up against have absolutely no problem looking at the whites of my eye before putting a bullet in it.

I'm not good with her. When I was sub level 10 I was wrecking shop, no lie getting upwards of 50-ish kills many matches with her or Mei or pretty much anyone. I think they bumped me up a few ranks since then in match making and I'm lucky to get more than 15 kills now. 20-25 is an insane tally for me now. The last ten-ish maps I've played I've pretty much been getting rekt. I need to up my game.

I recommended the combo to a pub group, they gave me an attitude and some snark, they of course, were the first to leave when they were mowed down.

Some of the people playing this game.

Zarya is designed to self sustain with her bubbles and recharging shields. I find Lucio better since she really just needs a steady stream of health to charge into some action and pop shields. Also since he'll most likely not be hiding behind me and I can shield him for free energy. Turning around to shield Mercy is a pain and if my energy is low I probably won't be able to kill whatever's harassing her.

I feel like I'm on fire lately with my item boxes. I got Stoneheart, Ifrit Zenyatta, and 500 coins all within about 4-5 levels over the past couple days. Used the coins to buy Valkyrie Mercy. Everything feels good because I actually like all those heroes.

3650g

Can't be bothered to buy anything

4575g

also haven't bought anything. I have been fortunate to get good skins for most of the heroes I do play, satiating the sense of urgency to buy something for them. For the hereos I'd like to have something for but don't yet, nothing is demanding I buy it.

Zen - pharaoh skins appeal to me, but not 1000g worth of appeal. we'll see.
Zarya - weird beady-eyed goggles turn me off from her parka skins, which are the only ones I like. Waiting for better.
D.va - nothing really impresses me here. I kinda liked Junebug, but the gun being the same color as the sleeves is something i'm not a fan of.
Junkrat - Everyone has the same clown skin. Waiting for something else now.
Genji - I like the carbon fiber one, but don't play him enough to feel compelled to buy any skin at all.
Symmetra - White & Gold symmetra speaks to me, but not sure if it's worth paying for. Waiting for something else.
Bastion - All of his skins suck.

I've had good skin drops for everyone else. I think the idea that we may get more skins that change more than just the appearance of the hero (like Okami, Imp and Valkyrie) are making me wait, in addition to many of the leg skins just not being all that impressive on their own and some of them being extremely common now.

Mupod

I never get POTG on the heroes I have the best highlight intros for ;_;

get POTG literally every time I play symmetra
finally buy skins and highlight intros for her
never get it again even when I burn through half their team with my laser and never let enemy teams past the first point

4575g

also haven't bought anything. I have been fortunate to get good skins for most of the heroes I do play, satiating the sense of urgency to buy something for them. For the hereos I'd like to have something for but don't yet, nothing is demanding I buy it.

Zarya - weird beady-eyed goggles turn me off from her parka skins, which are the only ones I like. Waiting for better.
D.va - nothing really impresses me here. I kinda liked Junebug, but the gun being the same color as the sleeves is something i'm not a fan of.
Genji - I like the carbon fiber one, but don't play him enough to feel compelled to buy any skin at all.
Symmetra - White & Gold symmetra speaks to me, but not sure if it's worth paying for. Waiting for something else.

I've had good skin drops for everyone else. I think the idea that we may get more skins that change more than just the appearance of the hero (like Okami, Imp and Valkyrie) are making me wait, in addition to many of the leg skins just not being all that impressive on their own and some of them being extremely common now.

What player level are you and did you buy loot boxes?

The only skin I am thinking about getting is the Okami one for Hanzo but I am hoping it drops for me.

peakish

I'd rather have people critisizing during the game than not to be honest.
Yes, but fighting as the hero that is countered the hardest by the enemy comp and then whining about it is poor form. Be the change you want to see.

The Reaper wanted to focus on the point to contest it, depending on the situation, you get overtime or you stall it from being taken. I say its better for the majority of the team to fight on the point. Had a game where I was the only one on the point the whole time, my group stayed together but didn't bother with the point?
Unless you're in overtime (we weren't at that point) contesting does absolutely nothing if you can't cap. Winning the team fight does.

Lucio/Zarya on any payload map on offense just wrecks. I survived on the payload for two minutes while in overtime to win the match. Just kept on healing and Zarya would pop the shield for me, then use my ult and jump around like nuts.
Had a 28 killstreak as Zarya on attack in Route 66 with a Lucio with me yesterday. We were unstoppable. Just stayed by the payload the whole game and neither of us died once.

I mean, it also helped that the opposing team weren't exactly coordinating with each other.

K/D is useless in this game, imo. I would gladly sacrifice myself to push for the contested points. Done that many times when my teammates are respawning.
Yeah, K/D means nothing to me either. Most than half my Winston plays are suicide runs from the side or back, so people can push. You're big and resilient enough that everyone on the opposite team needs to pay attention, which creates holes in their defence. It's not graceful, but it gets the job done.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are emotes supposed to be this rare? I mean, I'm almost lvl 60 and only got one. =| I've gotten more legendary skins and currency than this lol.

Is it another case of "RNG gonna RNG?" :p

LiK

Yeah, K/D means nothing to me either. Most than half my Winston plays are suicide runs from the side or back, so people can push. You're big and resilient enough that everyone on the opposite team needs to pay attention, which creates holes in their defence. It's not graceful, but it gets the job done.

Apparently from ranked impressions in PTR, it takes a lot more than just K/D to consider people's MMR rating. Seems it considers everything from objective kills/times to assists etc. good news for players who actually do their job instead of turtling for kills only.

Symphonic

4575g

Bruh D. Va's junker akin is the best in the game and all of Bastion's are dope. You're crazy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hope they restrict the number of heroes in competitive play, I don't want to see this again.

ClRR7sLUYAAW-iF.jpg

I got this yesterday. It was the most hilariously ineffective team: https://youtu.be/dsLO0K113dc

Most color-swap skins are better than most legendaries, to be honest.

I use color swaps for some of my most-played heroes: Genji (usually Chrome, sometimes Carbon Fiber), Widowmaker (always Rose), Winston (Horizon), Zarya (Brick), Soldier (Smoke), Junkrat (Toasted), and with the exception of Winston, I don't see a legendary for any of those heroes that I prefer.

Legendaries I like: McCree's Riverboat (which I bought, but now I pretty much don't use McCree), all of Pharah's (although I have Anubis, which is only "epic," and I think that's my favorite), Reaper's mariachi skins (I bought El Blanco), Hanzo's wolf ones, Lucio's frogs, Sym's goddess ones, all of Zenyatta's (I unboxed both Ra and Sunyatta)... and that's it.

The rest are bland or downright bad. Young Genji, Cybergoth Zarya, Punk Tracer? Awful.

Sou Da

Most color-swap skins are better than most legendaries, to be honest.

I use color swaps for some of my most-played heroes: Genji (usually Chrome, sometimes Carbon Fiber), Widowmaker (always Rose), Winston (Horizon), Zarya (Brick), Soldier (Smoke), Junkrat (Toasted), and with the exception of Winston, I don't see a legendary for any of those heroes that I prefer.

Legendaries I like: McCree's Riverboat (which I bought, but now I pretty much don't use McCree), all of Pharah's (although I have Anubis, which is only "epic," and I think that's my favorite), Reaper's mariachi skins (I bought El Blanco), Hanzo's wolf ones, Lucio's frogs, Sym's goddess ones, all of Zenyatta's (I unboxed both Ra and Sunyatta)... and that's it.

The rest are bland or downright bad. Young Genji, Cybergoth Zarya, Punk Tracer? Awful.
Zenyattas and Syms suck IMO, but the epic rarity recolors are the best.

Kamion

Junker and B.Va are my favorites. I don't use too much D. Va myself but I do enjoy using B.Va since that's the only one I have lol.

I got B.Va but I don't really like the Yellow much, I wish I would've gotten the Junker :(

I got Mei's firefighter skin, that one's fun.

I don't particularly like any of the Zarya or Tracer legendaries either, which is a shame because I enjoy playing both of them.

Bruh D. Va's junker akin is the best in the game and all of Bastion's are dope. You're crazy.

Nope. Junebug is the best D.Va skin. Best all around, too.

I wish there was a way to preview what it looks like when you're in-game. Tracer's Ultraviolet, for example, has hot pink guns.

It's kind of bad ass.

LiK

Nope. Junebug is the best D.Va skin. Best all around, too.

I wish there was a way to preview what it looks like when you're in-game. Tracer's Ultraviolet, for example, has hot pink guns.

It's kind of bad ass.

Yea, I love Junebug. Looks especially nice with her dance and flashing lights emote.

Kamion

Oh, speaking of Zarya, I love playing her but I feel she's completely useless if my team is shit. Any of you guys carry disorganised teams with Zarya? Any tips? The self-shield is pretty short to get in turret kills, sadly.

I wish more people would group up with me when I'm Zarya. Sometimes I'm up to 90 energy and can only strafe-spam her bombs while waiting for my shield to come back up D:
Especially grueling if we have a pharah with her ult up, she's in the air, I shield her and instead she drops back into cover because turrets.

LiK

Oh, speaking of Zarya, I love playing her but I feel she's completely useless if my team is shit. Any of you guys carry disorganised teams with Zarya? Any tips? The self-shield is pretty short to get in turret kills, sadly.

I wish more people would group up with me when I'm Zarya. Sometimes I'm up to 90 energy and can only strafe-spam her bombs while waiting for my shield to come back up D:

Trying to carry a team of randoms is pretty damn tough. I find myself doing better with her as long as I have a decent group who have some coordination. I don't even use a mic so as long as others know what they're doing, Zarya can carry them forward. But if you try to do this with randoms who are all over the place, expect a struggle.

DrArchon

Especially grueling if we have a pharah with her ult up, she's in the air, I shield her and instead she drops back into cover because turrets.

Yeah, with randos I feel like Reinhardt is just a better pick. It's apparently more intuitive for people to sit behind Reinhardt's barrier and shoot dudes than it is for people to shoot dudes while shielded by Zarya.

If disorganized teams of randos I wouldn't pick Zarya unless someone else has picked another tank.

Kamion

Yeah, with randos I feel like Reinhardt is just a better pick. It's apparently more intuitive for people to sit behind Reinhardt's barrier and shoot dudes than it is for people to shoot dudes while shielded by Zarya.

If disorganized teams of randos I wouldn't pick Zarya unless someone else has picked another tank.

Yeah, Reinhardt is probably better, sadly I'm shit at aiming both of his abilities :(...
I should try to learn Winston but I feel like he has the same problem in randoms as Zarya does.

I did this the other day as Mercy. I was the only one alive coming up on the point and the enemy team was at like 97% from capping the point. I fly in on one of my dead teammates revive two and after a small skirmish we were able to hang on and win in overtime. It was awesome.

Nothing annoys me more than to see someone near the point, but because they are obviously worried about their k/d they don't contest and just let the other team win.

DrArchon

Yeah, Reinhardt is probably better, sadly I'm shit at aiming both of his abilities :(...
I should try to learn Winston but I feel like he has the same problem in randoms as Zarya does.

Winston's honestly worse than Zarya with randoms. His whole deal is jumping into groups of enemies to disrupt them, but if your team isn't coordinated enough to take advantage of that you'll just die for nothing. Zarya can still get kills and has a ult that's really hard to fuck up, while Winston almost never gets solo kills and his ult is, again, best for disruption.

Kamion

I did this the other day as Mercy. I was the only one alive coming up on the point and the enemy team was at like 97% from capping the point. I fly in on one of my dead teammates revive two and after a small skirmish we were able to hang on and win in overtime. It was awesome.

Nothing annoys me more than to see someone near the point, but because they are obviously worried about their k/d they don't contest and just let the other team win.

I can't even count the number of suicide "get rid of Torb" rushes as D.Va I have done. Won us some games but I never see anyone do it :/

Winston's honestly worse than Zarya with randoms. His whole deal is jumping into groups of enemies to disrupt them, but if your team isn't coordinated enough to take advantage of that you'll just die for nothing. Zarya can still get kills and has a ult that's really hard to fuck up, while Winston almost never gets solo kills and his ult is, again, best for disruption.

Thinking about it, I guess that reading my team right and picking the hero according to the level of my team is my biggest weakness and the main point why some games go really bad for me. Gotta do something about this. But it gets kinda old to always roll Lucio :p

ekim

I don't think Zarya makes much sense playing on pubs with no team play. Maybe you can convince a Mercy to stick with you tho. Also Hanzo as a backup is superb. these 3 alone could win a match against 6 disorganized players I'd wager.

To be honest, I don't think most people care about their kdr, I just think they don't fully understand how the game works. I'm convinced there's a huge amount of players who don't even understand how overtime works.

charpunk

I can't even count the number of suicide "get rid of Torb" rushes as D.Va I have done. Won us some games but I never see anyone do it :/

That's one of my favorite things to do as D.va. Fly in, hit defense matrix on the way in, take out the torb and his stupid turret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom