• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swig_

I know I shouldn't complain about this, but I've had two legendary (I think) skins for Mei and no one else. I don't even play her. :|

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How does winston's shield work exactly?

It stops all/most attacks if enemies are outside the shield but they can freely walk inside the shield in which case the shield might as well not even be there?
Pop in and out of the shields bruh

Ok, let's just give the card to the Genji who deflected 1700 damage and got 1 deflection elim and forget about my Pharah with a game-winning triple kill and 4 gold medals.

I don't even vote at the POTG screen anymore. Why? If it provided some type of benefit to the player you were voting for then sure. But I don't see why it matters.

R0ckman

So when people are complaining about tick rate are the effects things like getting pulled out of my blink, my ult not going off on press, or me dying in my leap as Winston when on the kill cam I'm not leaping at all?

I dunno what you'd even do about double Zarya. Four Junkrats? The approach of 'stop shooting her shield guys geeze' kinda stops working when there's always a shield.

It's annoying regardless, really. If you have a lot of damage output just burn through her shields. If not it's best to let them get aggressive with her and hold off on firing until her shield is down. But yeah a Junkrat trap + mine, or just direct hits will murder her.

maouvin

Double Zarya + Reinhardt combo today?

Fought one of those once while attacking on R66. They had a Lucio too. We lost before the first cap.

I don't remember the rest of their team, but if anyone had some insight on how to break that, I'm listening.
Some Bastions just to clear them (then swap them out), maybe?

Ullus

I dunno what you'd even do about double Zarya. Four Junkrats? The approach of 'stop shooting her shield guys geeze' kinda stops working when there's always a shield.

Bastion works well, don't even worry about her shield, just keep firing and she'll be dead in seconds.

aeolist

Banned
So when people are complaining about tick rate are the effects things like getting pulled out of my blink, my ult not going off on press, or me dying in my leap as Winston when on the kill cam I'm not leaping at all?

most of the time when you see it specifically it'll be something killing you mid-blink/whatever and when you see the killcam it shows you not blinking

vareon

So I just won my first match using Zarya. I think I only used her on one of the random brawls. Granted it's because my other teammates were great, but I'm starting to learn how to play her now. Being able to disrupt faraway enemies is fun, and up close she can be a menace, especially when charged. Raising shields to surprise enemies is fun, too.

so rank position in Comp basically is like EXP. i thought a win/loss would be +/- 1 but it goes up like a progress bar. watching seagull play and it takes about 10-20 wins to go from 75 to 76 lol.

mbpm1

Listen yall

Just because some chick in korea put out the blueprint for Zarya that doesn't mean we all gotta start playing as her more.

the amount of Zarya and DOUBLE Zarya's on some teams in this past week is startling

How else do you deal with 6 torb tho

I don't even vote at the POTG screen anymore. Why? If it provided some type of benefit to the player you were voting for then sure. But I don't see why it matters.

Have they elaborated on why it doesn't do anything? I mean just toss in an extra 500 exp for epics and 1000 for Legendary.

Azoor

I know I shouldn't complain about this, but I've had two legendary (I think) skins for Mei and no one else. I don't even play her. :|

Totalbiscuit once said that the loot system will incentivize you to play as other characters. And I started to believe him.

eek5

Fought one of those once while attacking on R66. They had a Lucio too. We lost before the first cap.

I don't remember the rest of their team, but if anyone had some insight on how to break that, I'm listening.
Some Bastions just to clear them (then swap them out), maybe?

Rein bastion and mercy maybe. Rein to help it get set up and mercy to boost bastion. Just mow them all down.

Ketch

This is fine because the next time you do choose to vote it'll be because it actually does mean something, like you were impressed enough to vote.

The GAF group was running double Zarya all last night with myself and OneMic and I'm fairly certain we were approaching 100% win rate. It's just a dangerous combo with the amount of mitigation and damage going out.
The fact that she can cast her shield from so far away can be devastating with proper timing. Protecting 76 and especially Reaper when they pull their ults is an unstoppable combo.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Totalbiscuit once said that the loot system will incentivize you to play as other characters. And I started to believe him.

This is pretty true, whenever I have 1000 coins and I already have skins for the characters i mainly play i usually get a nice skin for a character i wanna start playing more of.

Also getting unlocks for heroes you don't even play is how you decide to check em out, it's how i started playing Genji.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I realize that many people are better than me at this game, but that doesn't seem right.
You're missing the part where he played Widow for 10 hours and missed half his shots. This is an impressive play, but there's definitely luck involved.

Azoor

This is pretty true, whenever I have 1000 coins and I already have skins for the characters i mainly play i usually get a nice skin for a character i wanna start playing more of.

Also getting unlocks for heroes you don't even play is how you decide to check em out, it's how i started playing Genji.

Which is overall good for the game's community so that more players are willing to play as other characters to make a well composed team.

The loot systems is without a doubt flawed, but not without merits.

so rank position in Comp basically is like EXP. i thought a win/loss would be +/- 1 but it goes up like a progress bar. watching seagull play and it takes about 10-20 wins to go from 75 to 76 lol.

You can absolutely go down and it's not going to be based on wins/losses alone because it's simply exposing MMR in a user friendly number. Seagull is stuck playing much lower skill ranked players due to player population and his very high rank and he's playing with a group of other very high ranked players. His progress will be exceptionally slow.

Do losses impact your rank after the initial placement?

Yes, but it's not strictly losses and wins. It's everything that impacts MMR, so individual performance and rank of the opponent all factor in.

Onemic

The fact that she can cast her shield from so far away can be devastating with proper timing. Protecting 76 and especially Reaper when they pull their ults is an unstoppable combo.

Sometimes the targeting is finnicky. There are times when ill be pretty close to a teammate taking fire and the target around him/her wont stay put, causing them to die because nothing happens when I mash on e.

Her primary fire hitbox also feels finnicky as well. There are times when the beam will be touching a moving enemy and you'll get no hits. I dunno if that has to do with the low tickrate or if the hitbox on zaryas beam is too small vs the visual size. It's why I generally stick with alt fire unless Im up against a tank or the enemy is moving in a straight line.

You can absolutely go down and it's not going to be based on wins/losses alone because it's simply exposing MMR in a user friendly number. Seagull is stuck playing much lower skill ranked players due to player population and his very high rank and he's playing with a group of other very high ranked players. His progress will be exceptionally slow.

Have they said if the rate of "Competitive points" being earned on the PTR is artificially low or is that legit? I watched Seagull getting 1 per match and some matches nothing. Yet it's going to be 300 to get a gold weapon.

Have they said if the rate of "Competitive points" being earned on the PTR is artificially low or is that legit? I watched Seagull getting 1 per match and some matches nothing. Yet it's going to be 300 to get a gold weapon.

I have no idea but in my experience it's one per win but that could be different if the opponents are much weaker than you.

Appreciate good supports, please. Or a nice Reinhardt. Everyone who keeps the team safe.

Mercy and Reinhardt are my two most played heroes in that order and I couldn't care less if anyone votes for me. I play them because I like being a difference maker on the team. That's enjoyable to me, not getting some meaningless votes at the end. Now if you got XP or bonus loot boxes that'd be worthwhile.

eek5

Based on korean ptr screenshot, you'll get a bunch of them at end of season, probably depending on your rank as well.

NeoRaider

Winston and Zarya are 2 heroes i don't even know what to do with. I am trying different heroes all the time, but i totally suck with these two, it's not even funny.
I wish i could get better with Zarya tho. And Winston? I don't even care about him tbh. So boring.

Edit: Actually i would add Symmetra to the list, so that's 3 heroes.

Appreciate good supports, please. Or a nice Reinhardt. Everyone who keeps the team safe.

This needs to be quoted.

And lets not forget the flip side: don't immediately start bagging on your supports / tanks if the tide turns.

These aren't glamorous roles (and often not the first pick for the player doing the necessary job) so lay off the toxicity and keep it constructive. Team morale is a fragile thing.

vareon

Winston and Zarya are 2 characters i don't even know what to do with. I am trying different characters all the time, but i totally suck with these two, it's not even funny.
I wish i could get better with Zarya tho. And Winston? I don't even care about him tbh. So boring.

I had a fun play with Winston in Ilios. I basically guarded the point, jumping in, placing shields, zapping and punching people while my teammates pick enemies from behind. I don't know if chasing and punching people is the right way to play him but it sure is fun imagining people got punched by a gorilla.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
How does MMR work anyway? Is it based purely on W-L ratio or does the game take in other factors as well?

I'm curious how 6 Tors vs 6 Genjis would pan out.
Genji's not all that great against Torbjorn. Unlike with Bastion, the turret doesn't put out enough damage during a deflect that it will destroy itself. And its lock-on is instant. And you have 200HP. If you're dealing with anything other than the turret, it's a nuisance. Multiple turrets pointed at you will kill you quick.

Stacking Genjis will work if the turrets are spread out and your team coordination is on point, but there are a bunch of heroes I would turn to first.

R0ckman

How does MMR work anyway? Is it based purely on W-L ratio or does the game take in other factors as well?

It takes in other factors like how well you play certain characters and look at some kind of rule on how good a certain character should preform based on who they are.

I've started playing Symmetra on all maps.

She's surprisingly effective in KOTH and viable on attack maps as long the opponent haven't stacked Torbjorn/Bastion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom