• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
got wooden bastion and gundam pharah today

giphy.gif

I really enjoy playing as Mercy but maybe I am playing as her wrong? Almost always a gold medal in healing, usually a ton of assists and I rez when I can, but never PotG and almost never up for a vote at the end of the round. Even when I am up for a vote at the end no one ever votes for pure healing. Am I missing something here?

POTG isn't important. healing the right people at the right time, rezing at the right time, and being positionally aware so as to not die when you need to be alive to ult are all essential to playing Mercy well. Remember:

It's always good to solo rez your tank.

It's always good to solo rez if it gives your team a numbers advantage when taking or defending an objective.

You can shoot enemies too.

When it's close to the end of a round/match, it is important to hide somewhere to make sure you're not smoked by the inevitable DIE DIE DIE / JUSTICE RAINS / IT'S HAAAI NOON so that you can make your grand entrance and cock block ult.

That's all there is to it. BUT it means (1) positional awareness, (2) situational awareness, and (3) enemy comp awareness are all necessary. These escape most Mercy players. They see their gold medal in healing (you'll have the gold medal in healing when playing mercy 90% of the time; it means nothing) and think they've done they're job when they haven't.

When you're able to look at the enemy comp and say to yourself "hmm...that Reaper they have hasn't ulted in awhile. probably saving it for the end here in a few seconds...lemmie get back...", you'll know you're starting to play Mercy right.

First game of the day. defend anubis (idk why i keep trying to type anus. they lucky they added bi in there) anyways. lol just spammed bombs at them. at one point they stopped coming down the double arch area because they had a symmetra build a teleporter on the right side. got POTG because team said they were tehre. spammed a few bomb. threw my remote mine at them. killed a few people on the way. threw a few boms at rein. he ulted. watched myself get ready to be dick slapped by his hammer. as he inched closer he drops to the ground because he got hit and died. ran like a bitch to get health. was using tire and then boom. VICTORY.

Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFbrQeEb0TU&feature=youtu.be

Onemic

No one gives a shit about support and the only way you'll get POTG as mercy is by resurrecting 4+ people or 3+ people in a really quick match where nothing happened.

Also gold healing doesn't mean much. Just means you healed the most on your team. If there isn't a roadhog or another mercy/lucio then you're pretty much guaranteed gold.

And if a Roadhog got a gold medal instead of you, you failed as a healer.

matmanx1

You see people talking about the myth of the forced 50%, right?

Are there people with 40-45% winrate? Or is everybody near 50

I'm 8 games under 500 with just over 300 games played. I thought I was doing worse, honestly, but the last week has been pretty bad for losses.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm become completely obsessed with d.va and it feels kind of alright.

Do you guys just get really obsessive over playing one hero a whole bunch and then switch later?

Speaking of that, it's annoying as hell when you're trying to heal Roadhog and they keep self-healing. I know it might be faster for them, but you really want Mercy to be charging her ult.

She gets it so fast that I'd rather have less downtime on Roadhog doing his thing.

Plus, when I play him, I self-heal habitually, like reloading your gun. I don't even have time to think if there's a Mercy nearby. Reflex kicks in.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Man i can't wait to see the new heroes, maps and modes.

I love what's there but new stuff is always good.

I'm fucking dying.

Funniest shit i've read in a long time.

Those names, those descriptions.

/dead

ClvbOMoUsAAQkjX.jpg:large
This is hilarious. Thanks for this.

I'm become completely obsessed with d.va and it feels kind of alright.

Do you guys just get really obsessive over playing one hero a whole bunch and then switch later?
Sure do. I'm on a Junkrat kick right now (haven't really played him at all yet) while getting back to picking D.Va as my tank.

darklin0

Banned
K2n9ePc.jpg

If you are in a group, please for the love of god switch to team chat.
I am constantly put in to fill for 5 man or mixed bag groups. Blizzard needs to disable this bullshit.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
K2n9ePc.jpg

If you are in a group, please for the love of god switch to team chat.
I am constantly put in to fill for 5 man or mixed bag groups. Blizzard needs to disable this bullshit.

Voice chat? Or just typing? I have voice chat off and it'll stay that way until competitive is a thing. I want to avoid another Dota 2 voice chat experience if possible.

Satch

Banned
That hanzo desc is 100% how they are

they dont talk and then when they do have something to say, its just bile about everyone else being trash

Mercy and Lucio need to be swapped in that picture (Mercy never dies, always has rez up, can pinpoint headshot you from across the map; Lucio never uses his E ability and chases people into corners of the map and dies), but yeah, otherwise that is Overwatch solo queue.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Been a longterm TF2 player, I've seen a lot of toxicity there. That was ramped up when it was announced that it was going F2P. People started pestering anyone who didn't buy the game and even made servers for only those who had purchased the game before.

No idea what science was used to say that TF2 is less toxic. If you had been there for long. You'd see lots of stuff.
I've been in TF2 since launch and I've been with Overwatch since launch.

Overwatch's community is a thousand times worse. Less people, more responsibility or 'thought responsibility', aiming for the twitch communities plus the toxic Blizzard communities.

Overwatch's community is League bad.

grendelrt

So i just got match made into 5 different games of those 3 were at the tail end and I was put on the losing team in the last minute or so. Blizzard said those games don't count, but then I look at my stats and they all counted as losses. WTF, how the hell is that fair, I couldnt change the outcome of being put into a game when the payload is fucking 5 meters from the end point.

I've been in TF2 since launch and I've been with Overwatch since launch.

Overwatch's community is a thousand times worse. Less people, more responsibility or 'thought responsibility', aiming for the twitch communities plus the toxic Blizzard communities.

Overwatch's community is League bad.

this is accurate. The nice thing about TF2 is that you can choose how you want to play the game, for lack of better words.

If you want to be a try-hard, there are servers for that. You can choose them based on mood. If you want to bullshit with random classes you rarely play, you can join a not-so-serious server and just have fun without worrying about being harassed. If you want to just stand in the middle of a map and get a conga line going, you can do that too on yet another server. A trivia server where the team that most answers the multiple-choice question right gets their ultimates fully charged instantly? Yep! You can play that on a TF2 server. Just want to stand around with like 20 other players and just talk, with the game timer set to infinite? Yep, you can do that in TF2 and people do all the time.

In Overwatch, there really isn't any of that "I'm just here to have fun" stuff unless (a) you're happy to lose or (b) are in a party of 6. Otherwise someone will be mad. If Overwatch had a server browser and custom servers with random settings and features like TF2 does, I think the community would be positioned to become far healthier as you could separate the people learning or who want to just chill from the people who are desperate to win.

ugh blizzard. fix this roadhog ult issue where when you start using his ult the reticle would snap to some other direction. happened twice to me where it would just go straight up. people mentioned it on the forum already.

The Team Fortress 2 community was about 412% better (scientifically proven) than this trashy Overwatch community. It's a big reason why I wanted player hosted dedicated servers.

mdr4vZ5.png

This has to be a daytime/age/school's out for summer thing. Most randos I've come across have either been silent or pretty chill. The only recurring trend is the lack of pushing the payload

Zemm

Just had someone on our team who was botting/using one of those key pressing programs to stop them being afk so they can leech EXP. Fucking hell, some people are just absolute shits.

This has to be a daytime/age/school's out for summer thing. Most randos I've come across have either been silent or pretty chill. The only recurring trend is the lack of pushing the payload
It isn't a daytime thing.

I've seen plenty of douchebags yelling at their teammates, talking shit in all chat, blaming someone for their losses.

Zemm

this is accurate. The nice thing about TF2 is that you can choose how you want to play the game, for lack of better words.

If you want to be a try-hard, there are servers for that. You can choose them based on mood. If you want to bullshit with random classes you rarely play, you can join a not-so-serious server and just have fun without worrying about being harassed. If you want to just stand in the middle of a map and get a conga line going, you can do that too on yet another server. A trivia server where the team that most answers the multiple-choice question right gets their ultimates fully charged instantly? Yep! You can play that on a TF2 server. Just want to stand around with like 20 other players and just talk, with the game timer set to infinite? Yep, you can do that in TF2 and people do all the time.

In Overwatch, there really isn't any of that "I'm just here to have fun" stuff unless (a) you're happy to lose or (b) are in a party of 6. Otherwise someone will be mad. If Overwatch had a server browser and custom servers with random settings and features like TF2 does, I think the community would be positioned to become far healthier as you could separate the people learning or who want to just chill from the people who are desperate to win.

Exactly.

It's not going to be the game that ends up killing the game, it'll be the shitty community. If they don't add player hosted servers then the game probably won't even last a year for me, what made TF2 great wasn't just the gameplay, but the servers that would spring up from other forums and stuff like that. That game would be dead as fuck right now if it didn't have proper dedicated servers with server browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom