• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, there's an Overwatch Australia community on PS4, tears of joy. Now I can stop begging the GAF Community on PS4 for groups while they're all asleep.

You're just one hour ahead of Japan, right? Add a bro! My PSN ID is the same as on here.

I can usually play evenings for an hour or two at best. (Once the family's tucked into bed.)

Edit: Oh dear, er...here's a really good guide for Zarya for those who are interested.
I'm having so much fun with her on defense, especially on Anubis. Once she gets that charge up she's like a brick wall under the main archway.

Ardenyal

I just

I don't understand the Overwatch pub community.

It's not just the pub community. In some organized games I've had people call a character OP. They refuse to accept that their favorite character is being hard countered and switch it up.

Luigi87

Hm, tick rate is probably my biggest concern with the game.

I jumped away from a Junkrat ult as Winston, and saw myself far away but then died.
Then on the kill cam it shows me dying and never jumping at all.

Zambayoshi

ok dammit, someone convince me to buy this game. i suck at online shooters. except for mag. i got pretty mediocre at that one after 100's of hours. but i'm jealous of all the fun you guys seem to be having. will be picking it up on ps4. i played the beta and pretty much had no fucking clue what i was doing, was getting slaughtered by mei's everytime i turned around and couldn't hit shit. but i've been thinking, it took me forever to learn the maps in mag. i figure if i just put the time in i will get at least good enough to not suck completely and get yelled at. anyway, sorry about the usual "should i or shouldn't i buy this game post" but i usually don't do it. i usually can make up my mind pretty quick whether or not to buy. oh, and there are no physical copies in my area at this time (would have to drive 30 minutes at least) so i will be going digital. so no selling it back to gamestop (i don't by used unless i have to). sorry for such a long post but hopefully someone will read this and assure me that i won't get made fun of and i will have fun sucking. thanks in advance (more than likely by the time someone responds i will be foolishly downloading just to regret it later this evening).

edit: by the way, i usually go single player in my games (im old and from the times before internet in the home let alone broadband) but i fell in love with socom and mag. mostly because in mag i could heal folks and help my team. after a while i got good at killing.

You will have fun sucking at it (I certainly do).

The game doesn't take itself too seriously, and most of the players don't either. Sure, there are moments when it's super tense, but with the exception of one PSN dude messaging me to tell me I was a sucky healer (I was, that game) I've put in over 200 pub games with no abuse whatsoever.

If you're on PC I'm not sure, because you obviously have the typing interface where you can slag people off.

patchday

Had a healer we're doing great, healer switches probably because we were doing too goo. Get stomped.????

Support and Tanks are the two classes its troll to switch from if there is no overlap

Since I love Tank/Support I try to watch for such switches and I switch to that role and never switch off of it

M.J. Doja

Banned
Geez it really sucks when teammates need to learn how to play payload. It's like they're playing a whole different game. All I can usually say is "grats on the elims"... but I want them to try to learn how to play Overwatch.

ramyeon

You're just one hour ahead of Japan, right? Add a bro! My PSN ID is the same as on here.

I can usually play evenings for an hour or two at best. (Once the family's tucked into bed.)

Edit: Oh dear, er...here's a really good guide for Zarya for those who are interested.
I'm having so much fun with her on defense, especially on Anubis. Once she gets that charge up she's like a brick wall under the main archway.
Will do! At work at the moment but I'll add you when I get home tonight. I'm usually on late evenings too.

Satch

Banned
FUCK YEAH 3 DUPLICATES AND A SHITTY VOICE LINE!

15 CENTS
PogChamp.png
PogChamp.png
PogChamp.png

Unicorn

wtf just had a graphics glitch on PC

was DVA on defending route 66 payload. Everything was fine until I boosted up and fell on teh cliff by the train car ramp on the right (defending) and I think a partner rolled up on top of me too. Screen scrambled to black. UI and outlines and objectives were visible, but everything was just black. I went to fight and could see the red outlines of enemies and just died. When dead I saw a teammate's viewpoint perfectly - no black, but as soon as I respawned it was the same blackness. I even tried changing heroes, but no go. It sucks because I was just gonna play one match, but now I had to quit.

Updating drivers now. GTX 960 4gb. No issues prior to today. Dunno what happened.

LProtag

I just got my new computer and started playing a few days ago.

I should probably expand my horizons and play more characters, but I pretty much just play a lot of Mei right now. Sometimes I'll play Lucio if we really need a healer, or Pharah on attack.

Should I stick with one character until I'm decent with them, or switch around a lot?

ok dammit, someone convince me to buy this game. i suck at online shooters. except for mag. i got pretty mediocre at that one after 100's of hours. but i'm jealous of all the fun you guys seem to be having. will be picking it up on ps4. i played the beta and pretty much had no fucking clue what i was doing, was getting slaughtered by mei's everytime i turned around and couldn't hit shit. but i've been thinking, it took me forever to learn the maps in mag. i figure if i just put the time in i will get at least good enough to not suck completely and get yelled at. anyway, sorry about the usual "should i or shouldn't i buy this game post" but i usually don't do it. i usually can make up my mind pretty quick whether or not to buy. oh, and there are no physical copies in my area at this time (would have to drive 30 minutes at least) so i will be going digital. so no selling it back to gamestop (i don't by used unless i have to). sorry for such a long post but hopefully someone will read this and assure me that i won't get made fun of and i will have fun sucking. thanks in advance (more than likely by the time someone responds i will be foolishly downloading just to regret it later this evening).

edit: by the way, i usually go single player in my games (im old and from the times before internet in the home let alone broadband) but i fell in love with socom and mag. mostly because in mag i could heal folks and help my team. after a while i got good at killing.

I'm mediocre (at best) with online shooters but I'm absolutely loving this game. With work, I don't have as much time as I did when I was younger, but you'll learn the maps and heroes with time. You don't have to worry about a k/d ratio and dying isn't that big of a deal as long as you're pushing the objective. You'll have fun with it, just stick with playing with people from GAF as often as possible.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I just got my new computer and started playing a few days ago.

I should probably expand my horizons and play more characters, but I pretty much just play a lot of Mei right now. Sometimes I'll play Lucio if we really need a healer, or Pharah on attack.

Should I stick with one character until I'm decent with them, or switch around a lot?

switch around until a few people stick. when youre good with a hero or two, go back to them when you feel like being a little more capable... otherwise, if your team is doing well, you should explore. you can always switch back if you or your team is struggling.

I do that all the time with sound barrier too though. Bonus that lucio can actually survive in the midst of battle better than zen after the ult wears off and contribute more to skirmishes with passive group healing, mobility to harass and far better survivability.

Unless you're hiding behind a shield roadhog should win the matchup 100% of the time. People really underestimate hook range, and zen is so slow and weak that he's a free kill to roadhog basically.

At the moment I think Roadhogs overestimate the hook range just as much as opposing players underestimate it. I've found that keeping my distance and headshotting tanks with E is very effective on Roadhogs and sometimes snipers.

I've been more or less maining Roadhog the past few days and I love it when the enemy team has a Zenyatta. Hooking him is almost as good as hooking a Genji.

Almost.

EDIT: Damn auto correct. This post was nonsense a second ago.

There's a lot of Zens out there who go to the front lines which is a shame because currently he should be the exact opposite. Only coming in to ult otherwise snipe from high ground.

At the moment I think Roadhogs overestimate the hook range just as much as opposing players underestimate it. I've found that keeping my distance and headshotting tanks with E is very effective on Roadhogs and sometimes snipers.

With the hook, I always dodge left or right anyway so range isn't an issue and it's easy to bait Roadhogs into using it.

dantehemi

I really want to play with guys on gaf.. I'm exclusive mercy player (so fun) add me guys so I can jump on with you guys.. PSN- dantehemi

KingBroly

Banned
Got another Purple skin for a character I don't play.

Also, I've been struggling to find games the last couple of days, so either things dramatically slowed down or I need to start port forwarding.

wamberz1

So, I wanted to learn the health pack placements by making a custom game and playing solo. problem is, the game keeps kicking me from my own game for some reason. Any way around this?

JTripper

Mei should be slowed down a bit when firing her ice gun or at least it should have slightly less range. I was trying to retreat from her as Lucio and she was able to catch up to me. It wasn't even like I was point blank distance away from her, I was a good few yards away.

Any planned Lucio nerfs? He's basically required on any balanced team, casual and pro. I don't believe he should get a pass simply because he's support, as much as I like playing him and think he's fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Great, now I have the Mariachi skin and the Plague doctor skin.
Plague doctor skin still better come at me

I bought plague doctor with mah gold, fuck mariachi

TheYanger

Zenyatta is fine, always be on the high ground and make sure your team is in the line of sight at all times, heal from a safe range, E Pharahs and other rocket jumping heretics and mow them down.

E Tracers
E Reapers
E anyone who breaks your offensive or Defensive line

Most of all pay attention to your team in your line of sight. You can heal them from a great, safe distance and mostly stay out of trouble

Ult to push points and safe lives, His ult is basically a revive anyway.

Playing in this way just makes him a strictly shittier Mercy. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but you can surely understand what is fucked there.

Kinsei

Banned
Any planned Lucio nerfs? He's basically required on any balanced team, casual and pro. I don't believe he should get a pass simply because he's support, as much as I like playing him and think he's fun.

What would you nerf? He's super squishy, his projectiles are big and have travel time making them pretty easy to dodge if you go one on one with one from medium range or further, and his wall run isn't broken. I guess you could make it so his healing buff didn't stack with the payload but it's not a huge deal.

Mei should be slowed down a bit when firing her ice gun or at least it should have slightly less range. I was trying to retreat from her as Lucio and she was able to catch up to me. It wasn't even like I was point blank distance away from her, I was a good few yards away.

Alt fire her to send her flying back and then switch to your speed song (if it's not already playing). Mei is super easy to get away from as Lucio unless she sneaks up on you.

What would you nerf? He's super squishy, his projectiles are big and have travel time making them pretty easy to dodge if you go one on one with one from medium range or further, and his wall run isn't broken. I guess you could make it so his healing buff didn't stack with the payload but it's not a huge deal.

Not sure yet, but I disagree with him being super squishy. It's very easy to survive as Lucio. Easier than most offensive and defensive characters

TrueBlue

"STAY ON THE POINT YOU IDIOT!"

- Me while death spectacting.

Seriously. I feel like the act of being near the objective is an exercise in futility at times.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My legendary drops iirc, level 84:

Pirate Torbjorn
Currency
Black Ops Soldier 76
Industrial (goth) Zarya dupe (had bought it)
Lone Wolf Hanzo
Black Axe Reinhardt (I forget the actual name)
Pirate Torbjorn dupe
Wood Bastion
Currency

Apart from the Zarya skin, I also bought Plague Doctor Reaper and Okami Hanzo (before the Lone Wolf dropped).

So thats 9 drops (again, iirc) in 84 levels so lets call it a little over one every 10 levels or so.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I jumped away from a Junkrat ult as Winston, and saw myself far away but then died.

I think tick rate is just one of many issues that make the game feel a bit shit technically, you can only get hooked through so many walls without it getting frustrating, not to mention how often I've died when using life saving abilities, only to see I never used them according to the kill cam, it lowers the skill cap having to use those abilities earlier than when's optimal.

The game also really needs a balance pass, a couple of heroes are far too strong and many could use a tweak up and down. Other than that just more content with priority being a unique mode (after competitive ofc).

Welcome to my hell. As a genji player I can't tell you the number of times I've seen myself swift strike away from an attack only to die and see myself do nothing in the kill cam.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to my hell. As a genji player I can't tell you the number of times I've seen myself swift strike away from an attack only to die and see myself do nothing in the kill cam.

Same with Tracer, I can't count the times I've ported away only to die where I was with the kill cam showing I never ported at all. Overwatch cannot be a serious shooter with such issues IMO.

Rhaknar

Stop using the kill cam as proof of anything, it is highly innacurate. I saw someone take a Rein fire blast to the face and die on a stream, then the kill cam shows the fire blast completely miss. There's a reason why a lot of people turn off the kill cams.

wamberz1

Ditto. I'll be playing tracer, see the recall animation start, and die.
Or winston, hit q, and die.
Or zenyetta, hit q, and die...
Or reaper, activate shadow form, and die...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom