• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

How did you end up in 42 if this is the result? I'm sorry, competetive is shit.

Who knows man. I went 2-8 in my placements and got rank 41. Got 2 wins so far so one more and I'll be up to 43.
I played mostly healers and Lucio and I got stuck with terrible teams, teams that played 2 Genjis despite the opposite team having 2 Winstons, Bastion and Widowmaker in attack.

I think I was just really unlucky with the teams I got stuck with.

Nazo

So, I think I'm getting the Hang of this whole Reaper thing I guess.

tumblr_o9jexopefI1rz9tp2o1_1280.png

Zemm

So far ranked is a bag of shit, it's NO different to what quick play was outside of like 2/15 games. The fact everything boils down to a win/loss is the dumbest thing I've seen and just promotes people acting like pricks.

MG310

I don't get to hear a lot of voice on PS4 but when I do at least it's funny.

Last time was a kid who would whisper swwwwaaaaaaaaag every 30 seconds or so.

ExVicis

So far ranked is a bag of shit, it's NO different to what quick play was outside of like 2/15 games. The fact everything boils down to a win/loss is the dumbest thing I've seen and just promotes people acting like pricks.

Yeah I feel the same, Ranked got too annoying for me to tolerate so I just said "to hell with it" and went back to regular Matchmaking. Just as many losses but at least I'm not losing rankings or anything.

Have to say, I was nervous about trying competitive, thinking it was going to be a bunch of MLG perfectionists who would curse me out over chat if I even made a single wrong move. But hearing you all talk about it... sounds like it's the same shit I've already gotten used to playing up to level 92 in solo pub matches, so now I feel a lot better. :)

Spazznid

Do people realize you will get a cache of points after each season based on what rank you were?

This was stated multiple times...

ViviOggi

In my experience there's one major difference in how ppl waste absurd amounts of time typing now

Got placed in the gutter, not too bothered since the climb should be quick I'M THINKING but then first post-placement match I get put on a team with a Symmetra who does literally nothing but run in circles and place TPs that spawn you above the abyss. Random warned us about that Sym the second the game had loaded (everyone used the TPs regardless), proceeded to "afk finish fast", other random flamed 24/7 because we're not capping the point 5v6. Fun experience all around.

Again I'm just a fucking dipshit who should have known better for playing solo ranked

I haven't touched competitive yet, but on the issue of people not communicating via chat or voice, if that thread we had earlier on gaming side was any indication, those two things are the first thing people turn off.

But then again why would people who have no incentive to work together, let alone communicate even bother playing Competitive? You now have a mode where you can go play cod TDM in quick play. What's their reasoning surely they know that some teamwork/communication is required.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Do people realize you will get a cache of points after each season based on what rank you were?

This was stated multiple times...

Yeah but how much

Is it a multiplier, tier based

Be hilarious someone Rank59 and they miss out on Rank60 and lose like 50+ coins...

mbpm1

I haven't touched competitive yet, but on the issue of people not communicating via chat or voice, if that thread we had earlier on gaming side was any indication, those two things are the first thing people turn off.

But then again why would people who have no incentive to work together, let alone communicate even bother playing Competitive? You now have a mode where you can go play cod TDM in quick play. What's their reasoning surely they know that some teamwork/communication is required.

You assume people are thinking

So like every other type of competitive game.

I don't see why people are surprised.

ViviOggi

Also yeah I'm not sure why anyone expected ranked to magically change human nature, especially when they're making it the default mode of play due to exclusive rewards. Check back in a couple of seasons and you better grind that MMR if you want to see slightly more competitive players.

R0ckman

In my experience there's one major difference in how ppl waste absurd amounts of time typing now

Got placed in the gutter, not too bothered since the climb should be quick I'M THINKING but then first post-placement match I get put on a team with a Symmetra who does literally nothing but run in circles and place TPs that spawn you above the abyss. Random warned us about that Sym the second the game had loaded (everyone used the TPs regardless), proceeded to "afk finish fast", other random flamed 24/7 because we're not capping the point 5v6. Fun experience all around.

Again I'm just a fucking dipshit who should have known better for playing solo ranked

Hahaha Welcome to hell!

patchday

Guess a lot of people that are complaining never played ranked modes in MOBAs. Unfortunately, team based ranked modes usually all boil down to win/loss as a team. Now I am curious how they handle MMR though. Such as if a player is on the losing team but earned a bunch of Gold medals and performed well.

I've been sticking to Hearthstone for ranked play myself lately cause the way they have their ranked mode set up is great and doesnt feel like a chore. Also iRacing has a really great ranked system that was superbly well thought out. Everything you do in iRacing is always considered ranked

Yeah have to agree their competitive mode is pretty much just quick play but with numbers attached to your name. Horribly balanced games all around.

abundant

I'm through obsessing over my stats now. According to Overbuff, I suck at this game, but when playing with GAF groups, I know I'm contributing to my team in a big way by either stopping the payload from advancing as Reinhardt or reviving 4 - 7 people on average with Mercy or dancing around the objective and healing as Lucio.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it just me or is king's row sudden death completely in favour of the attacking team?

Just steamrolled with a team that was semi-organised.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I'm through obsessing over my stats now. According to Overbuff, I suck at this game, but when playing with GAF groups, I know I'm contributing to my team in a big way by either stopping the payload from advancing as Reinhardt or reviving 4 - 7 people on average with Mercy or dancing around the objective and healing as Lucio.

Yeah idk either. I thought I was doing well until I checked my stats too. Every game I get gold or silver eliminations but apparently I'm 18th percentile hahah

abundant

All sudden death favors the attacking team at high levels currently. It's a silly system. But they're working on it.

Why Blizzard didn't just use stopwatch rules still confuses me. EVERY Overwatch tournament uses them, so you'd think Blizzard would use them for their Competitive Mode.

zoukka

Some of these placement matches... I got a mercy next to me who doesn't heal when I'm damaged and who rushes in to the middle of the enemy team to res one person...

Placement matches and matchmaking RNG are a salty combination.

Is it just me or is king's row sudden death completely in favour of the attacking team?

Just steamrolled with a team that was semi-organised.

One game sample rate?

R0ckman

Yeah idk either. I thought I was doing well until I checked my stats too. Every game I get gold or silver eliminations but apparently I'm 18th percentile hahah

Switched to competetive stats, I was 32% on fire for my placement matches but lost half so far. Lol the MM in this game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Some of these placement matches... I got a mercy next to me who doesn't heal when I'm damaged and who rushes in to the middle of the enemy team to res one person...

Placement matches and matchmaking RNG are a salty combination.

One game sample rate?

Kinda, but king's rows attack point is so close to the respawn point that you can set up for a lot more attacks than say, numbani.

Also goddamn, just had a match where in sudden death the opposite team just AFK except for 2 fellas. Was really sad actually.

Also goddamn soldier fucking beasts on pharahs. Had an unreal game with him.

Also yeah I'm not sure why anyone expected ranked to magically change human nature, especially when they're making it the default mode of play due to exclusive rewards. Check back in a couple of seasons and you better grind that MMR if you want to see slightly more competitive players.

I think that people aren't used to it and went into ranked with having all sorts of expectations of people trying harder, etc. It will be a mishmash of both for a while. As you said, you want better play/teammates, time to grind it out, increase your MMR and go from there.

DrArchon

So I'm checking out overbuff more and more, and I just want to make sure I'm right about this.

The higher the percentile, the better, right? Because I'm ~99th percentile for deaths for almost all of my characters and I want to know if I'm allowed to feel good about that or not. That means I don't die a lot, right? Just want to make sure.

Good thing competitive is out. Maybe quick play will be more chill now? I kinda burned out on this game at the moment so if I do get on I'm just going to be screwing around in quick play. Any early impressions on how qp has been since comp mode has released? Is anyone even playing qp right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom