• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also man, I dunno if this is a good thing or bad thing, but I feel too compelled to pick the "top" tiers when I'm in ranked. Roadhog I'll play anyway regardless of tiers (it is nice that he's so good though) but I've seen myself pick soldier and pharrah more, and go lucio even if we have a mercy already.

I mean, when I do I win (I barely played soldier but absolutely destroyed this 2 pharrah team), but I'm not too sure if this is how I want to play. Probably would play ranked more but I think I might prefer the more relaxed quick play where there's more room to experiment with characters. Especially now there's ranked for higher play.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A good Genji > any Mei any day

Course you could always counter him with Winston's bug zapper, but fuck he's just so annoying for existing when a player is good with him anyway.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Will the golden guns still be available after the season end, or would I need to get the 300 points within the season to get them? I'm a little confused about how that works.

They'll be 300 competitive points each, the weapons
There's 21 Classes, pick your favorite 3 I say and go for those

Need 300 wins, 1 win = 1 competitive point

At the end of the season, you'll get a cache of points depending where you are ranked for the season
I'm guessing tier based like 0-20 earn +20 CP and 80-100 earn the kings ransom of like +100 or some good amount that they'll have 2+ gold weapons

Season ends during September, I think 2 week grace period and starts up the Fall season of Competitive

At the moment, gold weapons are the only thing people are chasing after
Guessing a few seasons down, the gold weapons might get nerfed CP so players can obtain them, while a new carrot will be placed

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If we can hold our cp from season to season i think that i might save them because fuck golden guns, seriously.

Only one i'd consider is lucio and that's only because i got his hippityhop skin.

Eric WK

They'll be 300 competitive points each, the weapons
There's 21 Classes, pick your favorite 3 I say and go for those

Need 300 wins, 1 win = 1 competitive point

At the end of the season, you'll get a cache of points depending where you are ranked for the season
I'm guessing tier based like 0-20 earn +20 CP and 80-100 earn the kings ransom of like +100 or some good amount that they'll have 2+ gold weapons

Season ends during September, I think 2 week grace period and starts up the Fall season of Competitive

At the moment, gold weapons are the only thing people are chasing after
Guessing a few seasons down, the gold weapons might get nerfed CP so players can obtain them, while a new carrot will be placed

Season ends August 18 for all platforms.

If we can hold our cp from season to season i think that i might save them because fuck golden guns, seriously.

Only one i'd consider is lucio and that's only because i got his hippityhop skin.

Paragon Reinhardt and Posh Tracer also fit the golden gun thing, but as a whole it's a bad motivator.

Has there been any mention of plans to do balance patches and do content patches during seasons? That seems like a bad idea, but I find it hard to believe they are leaving DVa as is until August when they talked so much about her needing buffs.

GraveRobberX

safe to say that anyone with golden guns isn't just good but they played the ALOT.

Even if the win say 75% of their matches, that's still a ridiculous amount

If the 50/50 rule comes into play, you'll be needing what 600games to reach 1 weapon...

LiK

If the 50/50 rule comes into play, you'll be needing what 600games to reach 1 weapon...

not sure what Blizz was thinking when they came up with this. anyone with a job can't play that much.

Symphonic

You know, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I actually appreciate how hard they are to get. I didn't want everyone running around with silly golden weapons; seeing one every now and then will really stress how hard they are to get and make them more of a special thing.

I assume other competitive rewards will be less points.

MUnited83

For you.
They really need to put up some mid tier rewards. Only having golden guns that even ridiculously good players will barely be able to afford a single one of them per season os terrible.

GraveRobberX

I think hands down the best blood curdling scream goes to D.Va when she gets ejected out of her mech and falls to her death

Holy Shit I almost choked from laughing so hard
This D.Va got wrecked at the last stage of Kings Row, the room with big health pack, the edges are crevices you can fall into

Holy fuck I almost fainted hearing her scream while falling

Symphonic

I think hands the best blood curdling scream goes to D.Va when she gets ejected out of her mech and falls to her death

This D.Va got wrecked at the last stage of Kings Row, the room with big health pack, the edges are crevices you can fall into

My favorite is Illios when you blast 3-4 people off and they all scream simultaneously into the abyss.

eek5

I think hands the best blood curdling scream goes to D.Va when she gets ejected out of her mech and falls to her death

Dude all the falling sounds are hilarious. They really made it so you can't hide your shame from the team when you fuck up lmao

how does group ratings work? especially when you have different teams all the time.

I think it's just the average. Everyone in your group has to be within 50 points of each other but I think that's the only restriction.

Got the PC version last night (been playing PS4 version since it came out).

Some things are the same, some things are way different as expected.

Same:
*At low levels, people still don't get on the point, it's a TDM fest
*Bad hanzo's still bad, and still don't contribute to the team
*As soon as people join, they will pick their fave character without regard to team comp. Yes, this means you will have at least 3 out of these 4: Genji, Hanzo, Reaper and Widow pretty much guaranteed, even if it's on defense.
*No one wants to be a tank or healer
*Torbjorn is still annoying (but easier to deal with)

Different:
*It's way easier to kill turrets, as an example using Pharah. On PS4 I would jet pack up, get hit by the turret and *MAYBE* hit it once reaction, but not really do anything, torb would just fix the fucking thing by the time the cool down was up, peek shooting very difficult with accuracy. On PC, I would jet pack up, get hit by the turret, hit it at least once if not twice on reaction, if possible I could pick off the turret and torb by peek shooting. The nerf on console is definitely necessary.

*Bad widows, actually do something (bad widows on console, just miss). Good widows have amazing evasive skills, can be next to impossible to kill it seems.

*It's MUCH easier to kill jumpy opponents. They really need to fix the auto assist on console, the amount of slowdown right before you put your cursor on the enemy is obscene, if they start jumping... yeah good luck. The aim assist is slowing you down, reaction shots are not consistent.

*Tracer's rewind is not a get out of jail free card. I struggle with tracers and genji's on console, the rewind on console is a really good bail out (genji's double jump is equally as good to make people miss). On PC as soon as I saw a tracer do a bad/panic rewind, I was able to punish it by making a quick turn and reaction shot.

There's more but I need more playtime on PC. Can't wait to try out ranked. I'll still play PS4 version as that's where most of my friends are. But the game is better on PC.

fresquito

I just did my sixth positioning game. It was good fun. I find people tend to be more communicative and are more focused on winning. I know that with each automated system, things will not be fair for placement, but you gotta do, what you gotta do to win.

I played D.Va, destroyed two turrets and their Torb, and those were mostly my numbers, besides some damage. I focused my action on making a lot of noise in their backline, to the point where their Torb was obssesed with me, didn't even had time nor will to put more turrets (and was not clever enough to switch), so was their Hanzo, so was their Sym. Basically I forced half their team to turn their backs on my team mates. Statistics? Yeah, crappy statistics, but after the game ended our Lucio told me: You just did what we needed.

Feels good, man.

Sullichin

So, is placement just based on win/loss?

Did two placement matches, both really great games. I think I will prefer the shorter games of casual play most of the time though.

Animator

I think I settled into my rank which will be moving up and down in the 54-60 range unless I find a good team to play with that actually try out tactics. Was going 4 golds for five matches straight yesterday with Reinhard with top kills and everything.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When a player on your team talks about how people should have switched if it's not working when he played Zenyatta for the majority of the game...

Just beat a 2 Torb on Hollywood

Smart Tracer (Me), Genji, Hanzo wrecked their setup

Just need smart players, no communication necessary

We made those 2 Torbs life a living hell
I kept flanking and pissing them off by making them chase me all the way by the saloon area

They left their turrets alone, Genji and Hanzo destroyed, they start their molten cores late on me
I survive for a few, by the time they come back, my team ready for them

If you have a Hanzo that knows what they're doing, he's using that radar arrow as as soon as it comes off CD to help spot such encampments and give the team an opportunity to come up with a plan. The game just requires a little coordination. Not a lot; just a little. A fleeting thing.

eek5

That's good. I will read up more about how it works. Lost my second placement but it was a really close game and my whole team did well.

No one knows exactly how it works. It's a combination of a lot of things. It seems like it factors in some starting MMR points from your quick play along with your individual performance, your relative performance, the enemy skill level and who knows what else

Trickster

Actually got a double legendary chest with an epic as well...It contained red/black emo zarya, only zarya skin I didn't want. Also 500 coins, which is something. Highlight was for soldier, the only character I have not played once, thanks blizzard.

Hopfrog

Hello all,

First post in the thread but been lurking for a while. Figured I would post my competitive impressions. So far, so good. No real assholes encountered yet. Biggest complainer was a guy on my team on Ilios who was upset that we were the only two on the team using microphones. Don't think he was too seasoned yet though - kept asking me how to use Junkrat and was curious when I said that Bastion is easily countered if you can coordinate and know what you are doing. He settled down though after we had an epic comeback after losing the first two rounds.

Finished first ten placement matches and surprisingly went 8-2, thought I would run into a few more unbalanced teams but has been pretty decent so far. Rank 55 - don't know how good or bad that is supposed to be but I am happy with it I guess.

I play on PC if anyone is interested in an add - Hopfrog#11533. I don't have a main, play a little bit of everyone, but my most time spent is on Lucio, love his play-style and skillset.

Blizzard

Banned
Edit: Is there any work on fixing Roadhog's grapple? Everytime I grab a Genji, the motherfucker goes flying to the left, like the chain is making some kind of physics swing that takes him to the opposite place he was in when I catched him. Not only him though. Stairs and scenery makes the thing pretty tricky sometimes.
Genji may go to one side, and Lucio/Tracer can still go behind you I think. :( I was definitely having problems with Lucio post-patch.

I forgot to ask yesterday. Does anyone know whether the competitive servers are 60-tick?

Defuser

I'm beginning to see why Hanzo isn't good in competitive matches. He is terrible, contributes nothing to the team except for a ult. Now everytime I see a Hanzo on my team I know my team is fucked.

People are beginning to smarten up to pick tanks, offensive and support heroes if they want to win. No room for Hanzo, Mei and Zenyatta.

eek5

Hello all,

First post in the thread but been lurking for a while. Figured I would post my competitive impressions. So far, so good. No real assholes encountered yet. Biggest complainer was a guy on my team on Ilios who was upset that we were the only two on the team using microphones. Don't think he was too seasoned yet though - kept asking me how to use Junkrat and was curious when I said that Bastion is easily countered if you can coordinate and know what you are doing. He settled down though after we had an epic comeback after losing the first two rounds.

Finished first ten placement matches and surprisingly went 8-2, thought I would run into a few more unbalanced teams but has been pretty decent so far. Rank 55 - don't know how good or bad that is supposed to be but I am happy with it I guess.

I play on PC if anyone is interested in an add - Hopfrog#11533. I don't have a main, play a little bit of everyone, but my most time spent is on Lucio, love his play-style and skillset.

55 seems to be pretty good, at least relative to the people I regularly play with. You can add me if you want eek#1673

Are you on defense? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
Is there a Soldier? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
Is there a Junkrat? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
Is there a Reaper? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
Is there a Pharah? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
Is there a Roadhog? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
Does your team comp justify a Mei? No? -> don't pick Mei. Yes? ->
The only answer is no.

Going to repeat what I witnessed last night, a player picked Mei to "counter Reaper." When I pointed out how he does like 3x the DPS and can shift out of the freeze, she replied "shut up I know how to play Mei. I can track him."

duckroll

Today I learned that Winston is a really solid counterpick when a somewhat squishy team fails to defend or hold an objective against an offensive team which thinks they have the win locked because they can kill the other team very quickly. Suddenly being able to jump behind their ranks, zap the shit out of their weaker characters, destroy their turrets confuses the hell out of them. Won like 3 games today changing from a support healer to Winston in the final third of the game.

fresquito

When a player on your team talks about how people should have switched if it's not working when he played Zenyatta for the majority of the game...
Depending on the other team composition and whether you had another healer, I think Zenyatta is not that bad of a pick. Unless you're in top competitive play, in which case he is totally suboptimal.

Today I learned that Winston is a really solid counterpick when a somewhat squishy team fails to defend or hold an objective against an offensive team which thinks they have the win locked because they can kill the other team very quickly. Suddenly being able to jump behind their ranks, zap the shit out of their weaker characters, destroy their turrets confuses the hell out of them. Won like 3 games today changing from a support healer to Winston in the final third of the game.
I found that category tank to be pretty misleading to many people. Only real Tanks, in the most basic way, are Rein and Zarya. Road is a mix and both, while Wiston and D.VA are meant to fuck the backline just like Tracer or Genji. Of course, depending on composition of the other team and yours. For reference, Tracer is countered hard by Sym, but Sym can't do anything to Winston or D.Va.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Going to repeat what I witnessed last night, a player picked Mei to "counter Reaper." When I pointed out how he does like 3x the DPS and can shift out of the freeze, she replied "shut up I know how to play Mei. I can track him."
lol
Depending on the other team composition and whether you had another healer, I think Zenyatta is not that bad of a pick. Unless you're in top competitive play, in which case he is totally suboptimal.
It's not like he was using his Discord on anyone the rest of us were shooting or popping his ult so we could push up on them.

Zemm

Fuck people that don't switch from a single character for the whole match when it's clear that character is shit for the map or you're getting blown up repeatedly.

duckroll

Hey that could have been me in any number of matches! I don't berate people for not changing characters if they have a specific strategic idea for the role they want to play, but it's very clear that sometimes a team needs a certain composition to do better. Zenyatta is a support character who with the right combinations can make a huge difference, so I think that it makes sense that if a player has a strategy in mind with that support, but no one is interested in taking up that synergy, it would be frustrating.

The biggest problems with randoms is that there seems to be this unwillingness to communicate. If a player says something regarding tactics and no one replies, and then things go bad, you have to wonder why people are playing a team based game if they don't want to talk at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom