• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riverboat is the shit. I pulled a Gambler out of a random box, and I'm starting to come around to liking it about as much as Riverboat. He has all of these cool gold touches.

Question: for competitive, are the placement matches forced solo? Can you enter them with a group?

you can do group during placements

spiritfox

I'm referring to the sub-maps in KotH maps. I just mean that you could play best of five, where the first three rounds cycle through the three sub-maps, then rounds four/five randomly choose from the three.

The sub-maps are actually all part of the same map. It's how the game can load the levels so fast. They can separate out the points into smaller maps but that takes extra work, plus the load will be longer.

http://imgur.com/a/aLHnb

I'm referring to the sub-maps in KotH maps. I just mean that you could play best of five, where the first three rounds cycle through the three sub-maps, then rounds four/five randomly choose from the three.

that's how the comp match for koth is. you play all three maps for the area. don't want 5 rounds though lol.

also now that Pharmercy is this week's brawl. next week better be an apocalypse where you're roadhog and junkrat.

RemiLP

Ranked should have been level 50, 25 is far too low for most people to understand every hero and all the maps/modes properly.

Why not?

If they suck, they will get a low rank, and stay there untill they get better, and will play against other people who suck.

The people who are good at the game will get a higher rank, and play against other people who are good.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Here's something I'm interested in: How many heroes have you played more than an hour with? And how many have you played more than four hours with?

Bastion - 20
Reaper - 19
Torbjorn - 13
Junkrat - 11

Roadhog - 9
Mei - 8
Pharah - 6
Mcree - 5
Soldier:76 - 4

So a total of 9 players that I have invested time in, aka "cooking stage"

Under 4 hours

D.Va, Symmetra, Widowmaker, Hanzo, Tracer - 3
Winston, Genji - 2
Reinhardt - 1

Still learning and use sparingly if required, so 8 here on the "simmer" stage

Everyone else 50 minutes and below, Zarya the lowest @25minutes
Still in "preparation stage"

As you can see I'm very Defense oriented player, trying to 50/50 on Offensive and Defensive heroes

Total Time played - 119 Hours
455 Wins to 395 Losses, 850 Games played so far

DrArchon

Can we go back to a weekly brawl that lets me pick whatever hero I want, or at least has every hero available?. Limiting heroes is fucking lame. Arcade mode was a blast because everyone was there and was stupid powerful, but for the past couple it's just been a handful of heroes allowed. I'm getting real sick of it.

Can we go back to a weekly brawl that lets me pick whatever hero I want, or at least has every hero available?. Limiting heroes is fucking lame. Arcade mode was a blast because everyone was there and was stupid powerful, but for the past couple it's just been a handful of heroes allowed. I'm getting real sick of it.

but they'd have to figure out what else to do with all heroes. all i can think of is limit the brawl to only KOTH matches then.

Forkball

Competitive diary:

Sit in skirmish forever
Get filled into a match, only to be disconnected seconds later
Get into a match
Get bodied in worst Overwatch match I've ever played
Sit in skirmish forever
Connect to a match, random dude disconnects which nods the match
Sit in skirmish forever
Get carried by Reinhardt

X-Frame

I'm incredibly curious to see how Ranked will be on PS4 or Xbox. Nobody talks as is and there is no chat window so I wonder if suddenly people will switch on their mics. I will be at least.

ragevvorks

Neo Member
Competitive mode.. more like My-team-is-ALL-dumb-I-only-play-Bastion-on-Attack-when-the-enemy-team-has-a-Tracer-and-Genji mode. Two games in a row I get solo-queue matched with the same kid who starts whining about his team as soon as the doors open.

On the other hand, 1 more game until I see my rank and either be forever stuck with the likes of that dude or play potentially balanced games.. let's see! Also - comp games take a loooooong time to finish, beware if you queue during your work lunch breaks.

GraveRobberX

Well they have to keep it fresh

I enjoyed the Arcade chaos, even the Random choice
They just want to try stuff out for shits n giggles

At least amazingly no one quits the Weekly, which is hilarious cause stats don't count at all, win or loss not a big priority there, just go ham on what's presented

Soldier:76 did lose its appeal quick, but the matches were hilarious

This week you should see the chaos taking place in the sky
When can you Mercy and pull out your pistol and pick off Pharah mid fucking flight

As someone else said next week needs to be Roadhog and Junkrat Mercenaries R' Us
Boost up the chaos, Ultimate fill up 100%, health doubled

I don't understand why they don't let the weekly brawl be utter chaos
I would love it if the ramped up everything to 11 and made you play KOTH maps, just pur carnage
Ultimates going off every few seconds

ExVicis

Man someday I'll get a team where people learn that flankers attack the main body of the team from the sides or behind instead of attacking head-on.

duckroll

Ranked should have been level 50, 25 is far too low for most people to understand every hero and all the maps/modes properly.

Nonsense. If a player is 25 and doesn't understand the game, that player has no initiative. It won't matter if the player is 50 or 75. You can keep playing and get there and still only know one hero and require your team to carry you.

GraveRobberX

Getting only one token for a win in competitive is way too small considering a golden gun costs 300

They should do is 2:1 or 3:1

Win nets you 2-3 coins, so 150-200 games
Even with a loss if you were not to win 1 out of the 300 games played, at least you will reach there

They're just adding a huge grind which shouldn't be this artificial
I mean seriously its a weapon skin

I know Overwatch is being slow burn due to them thinking this is the next e-sport hotness, but does this game have the longevity public wise
Just as the Fall starts and game releases creep in, this game will start losing its player base and pool of players

I get seasons are there to plateau and just reset, but game needs to be rewarding to keep its hook in you
Soon duplicate boxes are going to be in abundance for some people
They need to keep adding stuff at a good pace to keep players chasing

Destiny started that way, then put in lull stages where the player base peeled off due to content shortage or no infusement of items to chase

Onemic

So in Ranked, you gain currency whether you win or lose, right?

Only for wins I think.

Regardless though, with how much weapons cost, it will take a really long time to get 300. Each competitive match can take up to 30 min alone. I dont see how anyone will have enough to buy these guns unless they do nothing but play OW competitive mode 6+ hours a day.

Even with a loss if you were not to win 1 out of the 300 games played, at least you will reach there

I know Overwatch is being slow burn due to them thinking this is the next e-sport hotness, but does this game have the longevity public wise
Just as the Fall starts and game releases creep in, this game will start losing its player base and pool of players

I get seasons are there to plateau and just reset, but game needs to be rewarding to keep its hook in you

Destiny started that way, then put in lull stages where the player base peeled off due to content shortage or no infusement of items to chase

Ya I agree. Im guessing they're not gonna release new content till the beginning of next season though.

R0ckman

Out of 3 of my solo queue competetive games the only communication was the following (removing my strategic advice, was mostly healer in my games):

"Comon guys, we can do better than that."

"Our Zarya is useless, pick something else."

Mic user who only used mic when too late in a KotH match: "Attack from all sides..."(mumbling)

LiK

Only for wins I think.

Regardless though, with how much weapons cost, it will take a really long time to get 300. Each competitive match can take up to 30 min alone. I dont see how anyone will have enough to buy these guns unless they do nothing but play OW competitive mode 6+ hours a day.

I think it's just from wins, which sucks for me because that means I'll never be good enough to get a gold weapon :(

Yeesh, they should at least give a smaller portion of gold for losing teams.

X-Frame

Can someone clarify the voice chat settings in this game -- Team Chat Auto-Join vs. ON? Is it that the former is that I join to listen and speak but the former is I join only to listen and then have to select something to speak?

Also, Team Chat vs. Group Chat ON or Auto Join, what should I have them set at in order to be able to speak to my team AND my group (so long as I'm not in party chat).

I'm on PS4.

Something weird is happening in my quick games. People are chatting, being friendly and having fun. Almost like all the angry dicks just upped and left for somewhere. It can't last.

rmrivera

I think you should get 3 points per win if you get a shutout, 2 if they get on the board and 1 if you win in sudden death.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Some of these game modes are stupid.

On Kings Row for example. We stomp the enemy team and capture point 3 with like 6 minutes left on the clock. We switch sides, they struggle but in the end capture point three with one minute left on the clock. So they needed 5 minutes longer than us but yet it counted the same? And then we go to the knockout round, they get to start on attack, capute the first point and it's over? Wtf, why don't we get a chance on attack to see if we could've captured the point faster than they did?

Symphonic

2/8, ugh. I feel like I played pretty well across all games, got my top all time scores on a couple of characters and got gold medals for objective time almost every match.

I don't mind that most of the teams weren't perfect, but FFS they wouldn't even respond on chat. I would say "Hey! Let's do great!" and constantly ask people to get to the point or for our sniper to take out turrets, etc. and they couldn't even be bothered to give any sort of indication that their chat was even on. I don't get it.

Anyways, got placed at 36. I plowed through my first couple games and am on my way up; really curious if stats go towards placement at all.

DrArchon

You only get 1 token for a win tho lol

The system is WAY too grindy right now.

The system seems impossibly grindy for someone that can't/won't play all day. I mean, I get a couple of matches in every day, and I'll win roughly half of those if matchmaking is doing its job right, and I just can't see how I can make even close to 300 points in 1.5 months. I'd need to make Overwatch my #1 commitment in life and that's never gonna happen.

It sucks because I wanted golden Zenyatta orbs to go with his Ra costume, but I'll never get to live that dream.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The system seems impossibly grindy for someone that can't/won't play all day. I mean, I get a couple of matches in every day, and I'll win roughly half of those if matchmaking is doing its job right, and I just can't see how I can make even close to 300 points in 1.5 months. I'd need to make Overwatch my #1 commitment in life and that's never gonna happen.

It sucks because I wanted golden Zenyatta orbs to go with his Ra costume, but I'll never get to live that dream.

I mean his orbs are pretty much golden already.

GraveRobberX

I mean his orbs are pretty much golden already.

Yeah but they wants Dem' Shiny Zenyatta Balls Doe

By the way Genji Gold Weapon of ninja stars are puny, hopefully his slice & dice sword gets the freebee overlay
Be stupid to spend double amount...

R0ckman

2/8, ugh. I feel like I played pretty well across all games, got my top all time scores on a couple of characters and got gold medals for objective time almost every match.

I don't mind that most of the teams weren't perfect, but FFS they wouldn't even respond on chat. I would say "Hey! Let's do great!" and constantly ask people to get to the point or for our sniper to take out turrets, etc. and they couldn't even be bothered to give any sort of indication that their chat was even on. I don't get it.

Anyways, got placed at 36. I plowed through my first couple games and am on my way up; really curious if stats go towards placement at all.

How do you feel you do normally? It seems clear the placement MM ****ed you.

ExVicis

I think people never bother to check it or just turn that crap off because it's either I get angry childish responses when I ask someone to do something or dead silence.

Tabby

Twas a close game, lost the first two points 99/98 to 100 and came back to win the match 3-2. When you play so well the other team starts calling you names lol. I agree, I should not be 42.

5vtS0Be.png

On Kings Row for example. We stomp the enemy team and capture point 3 with like 6 minutes left on the clock. We switch sides, they struggle but in the end capture point three with one minute left on the clock. So they needed 5 minutes longer than us but yet it counted the same? And then we go to the knockout round, they get to start on attack, capute the first point and it's over? Wtf, why don't we get a chance on attack to see if we could've captured the point faster than they did?

Overtime rules are the worst and they need to implement stopwatch rules. We did a payload map and finished around 4 minutes ahead of the opposing team. Overtime comes around and we get placed on Attack. The payload needs to get pushed to the second checkpoint but we lose because there's hardly any time on the clock in OT.

Edit: Map was Gibraltar

Wow really? I went 3-7 and i got 48.

I have no idea how placements work

They said your MMR is more than just your W/L ratio. They factor in a map's tendency to favor attackers or defenders, your character performance, and your overall team performance too.

Nonsense. If a player is 25 and doesn't understand the game, that player has no initiative. It won't matter if the player is 50 or 75. You can keep playing and get there and still only know one hero and require your team to carry you.

Yep. I stopped playing at 25 until competitive came out and I was still carrying my team one match last night, despite being the lowest level. Doesn't matter if you're 25 or 75, if you suck you suck. Some people just play more.

In payload, the only thing time matters for now is if you make it through the points. The time is only used for sudden death to determine how much time you have for that last point.

They changed it because people would leave if they took longer to get through the points than the other team.

So if you stop them at point 2 but make it to point 3 on your team, you've won.

R0ckman

Twas a close game, lost the first two points 99/98 to 100 and came back to win the match 3-2. When you play so well the other team starts calling you names lol. I agree, I should not be 42.

5vtS0Be.png

How did you end up in 42 if this is the result? I'm sorry, competetive is shit. Its exactly what I thought, longer "quick match" games.

My last match people were not sure what a star was and we had no tank or healer, no one commented. I just left (this was before the match started).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom