• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They should work like the Team Fortress 2 turrets.

:3

MoonGred

Do people have such a problem with Engi in TF2 as well? From what I can tell both turrets operate the same way.
I honestly don't get all the salt towards Torb, this is coming from a person who's been mowed down by his turrets multiple times.

Pastry

Banned
Playing against multicomp teams is so fucking annoying and unfun. Just played KOTH against a full Winston team and there was nothing we could do against it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Playing against multicomp teams is so fucking annoying and unfun. Just played KOTH against a full Winston team and there was nothing we could do against it.

You could all have gone D.Va

Rhaknar

WHATT?!!!

BUT IT SAID YOU KILLED THE TIRE???

Is this a tick rate issue or a latency issue? Or a what the hell kind of what

this is some time paradox shit

That you even have to ask if this is tickrate related shows how ridiculously misinformed people are about what tickrates are :/

Grisby

PS4 sounds like heaven, are you telling me I can actually walk around corners without getting one shot in under a second? Are you telling me I can actually enjoy some maps!?
Yes. You can enjoy being the only one to fully reach the end of the map. Because all of the other widowmakers will still be on their leet snipe point.

However, those auto track turrets might take out your corner walking enjoyment.

xezuru

WHATT?!!!

In this case it's neither ticrate or latency, there's a gif out there showing that if you kill a tire right when it spawns but before you control it, a new one spawns, and this loops infinitely until you can kill Junkrat.

Grisby

One thing that Blizz deserves credit for is their sound game. I know when a genji is blocking something or the build up of Mei's ice blaster. Then you have the ult voices.

I don't even have to see the characters to know what's going on a lot of the time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
WHATT?!!!

FIX THE TICK RATES BLIZZARD >:O

/s

Played my first 5 games of retail Overwatch today (took me long enough), and the extended time away from the game has really mellowed me out. Lost my first three games in a row and surprisingly didn't feel like I wanted to fling furniture. It was a nice feeling. Then I managed to win both attack and defense on Hanamura, which is always a nice feeling.

Do people have such a problem with Engi in TF2 as well? From what I can tell both turrets operate the same way.
I honestly don't get all the salt towards Torb, this is coming from a person who's been mowed down by his turrets multiple times.

Torb's turrets lock-on quicker and have a longer range than TF2's turrets. In TF2 unless you're up against a proactive engineer, you can safely spam down the turret from much closer than you can in OW, without edging a corner. With the slower lock-on time, you can even edge the turret out from around a corner and take no damage, even from up close.

Good players can even strafe AROUND or stand ON TOP of the turret and melee it down (with no damage taken)

Durden77

In a perfect world you shouldn't have to move your aim at all after the hook lands but with how pathing can break sometimes you have to try to react. Feels like anyone moving even remotely fast, like Lucio or Tracer/Genji during a blink/dash will end up behind you. If there's any obstruction between you and the hooked target there's a good chance they'll end up beside you.

Gracias friend. I thought it was something along those lines. I just remembered seeing a post a long time ago saying that you mever had to so I wanted to confirm.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just had a super fun game where everyone on both teams agreed to play winston on anubis

It was absolute madness when the ults would start to go off you 100% couldn't tell what was happening.

Duplicates should not be a thing. On average I have about 12 things for every character. Why in the world is the game giving me 3 duplicates a box, and they give you an insignificant amount of credits for most duplicates

Rhaknar

T.Racer is the name of a skin? Does she only say that "here comes teeeee racer" line with that skin then?

BigDug13

Duplicates should not be a thing. On average I have about 12 things for every character. Why in the world is the game giving me 3 duplicates a box, and they give you an insignificant amount of credits for most duplicates

Duplicates should at least give the gold amount as if you opened that color of gold. In other words, instead of dupe legendary skins giving 200, they should give at least 500 like you opened a box and got legendary gold.

Gorillaz

So what? They just fire in a straight line?
No obviously not. The snap/lock on to player is pretty fast personally I would slow it down but at the same time what would be the point of the character at that point since alot of his character is pretty much defined by the turret. It's a catch 20/20.

Blizzard

Banned
A friend of mine tried playing Torb and was getting discouraged because of how easily the turrets die. It's tough for new players to keep them alive and make them useful apparently. :( Any tips?

darklin0

Banned
Torb's turrets are so easy to kill that needing them will be useless.

Only real nerf I would consider for Torb is a slight cooldown for when he rebuild one.

xezuru

Wow that's quite a nasty problem.

It only loops when you continue to kill it right when it spawns, so realistically you'd kill only one tire in that timing or kill the junkrat. But yes, you can theoretically have a decent tire shield in front of your non moving body for some time.

Rhaknar

A friend of mine tried playing Torb and was getting discouraged because of how easily the turrets die. It's tough for new players to keep them alive and make them useful apparently. :( Any tips?

Besides put them in hard to reach places, no. Because there are no tips, because Torb turrets are easy to kill nowadays. I rarely play him now because of that, sometimes on point A of something but then switch when I see how easily they are getting to them.

Turrets without perfect accuracy would make them even more useless. Their damage and survivability are pitiful.
Torb's turrets are so easy to kill that needing them will be useless.

Only real nerf I would consider for Torb is a slight cooldown for when he rebuild one.

The turret skill has a ~6 second cooldown between placing turrets. So he can only ever drop one in a panic.

Kinsei

Banned

Place them in areas that snipers can't easily shoot them. Moving platforms like the elevator near the first point in are also a good spot for them.

Xeteh

Gracias friend. I thought it was something along those lines. I just remembered seeing a post a long time ago saying that you mever had to so I wanted to confirm.

No problem, I've played a ton of Roadhog at this point because he's insanely fun but his hook can be bullshit on both ends. Lucio with amp'd speed is my bane, he always ends up behind me.

Durden77

Torb is getting harder and harder to play as time goes on. When the game first came out, I was wrecking shit with him. He still holds my highest eliminations at 40.

But now, he seems much harder to play. People are finding out where the "spots" for his turrets are, and they're pretty tough to keep up. Plus Torb kind of sucks on his own, but a good Torb should idealy be grabbing scrap, tossing out armor to himself and teamates, and running to his turret to fix it.

I think eventually he's going to be a very tough character to play effectively, where as at first he seemed way too easy.

Also the turrets are fine you guys are just weens.

darklin0

Banned
Turrets without perfect accuracy would make them even more useless. Their damage and survivability are pitiful.

The turret skill has a ~6 second cooldown between placing turrets. So he can only ever drop one in a panic.
Huh, I never realized it. Maybe a slightly longer build time?

Rhaknar

Place them in areas that snipers can't easily shoot them. Moving platforms like the elevator near the first point in are also a good spot for them.

Around corners or inside buildings are good to protect against snipers, but any D.Va can still juat fly in there and just shoot it while laughing at it's puny shots bouncing of her armor

Huh, I never realized it. Maybe a slightly longer build time?

It already takes 6 seconds to get one to level 2. A level 1 turret dies from 1 widow sniper or 2 hanzo snipers. Or 1 helix rocket etc

Woo-Fu

Banned
how about the not automatic lock on part?

If you want to get rid of that then you need to up the DPS considerably. Automatic lock-on is the only reason they're useful vs. the mobility heroes---and that very usefulness is one of the main reasons Torbjorn is picked.

They put out what is basically chip damage but that adds up, requiring those mobility heroes to spend more time running the healthpack route.

Still find it kind of mind-boggling that people have a problem with them. Maybe it is mostly controller players? I only play around 6-8 of the heroes regularly but all of them can handle Torbjorn's turrets.

Then you've got people complaining that he can simply place another turret. Again, SMH. You can take out a tier 2/tier 3 turret but find the tier 1 turret that pops up shortly thereafter a problem? It is merely food for charging your ult. Eat it.

Tell him he is playing the class wrong if he is worried about losing a turret. The turret is a simple DPS buff that you reapply as needed. Drop it down somewhere it will form a crossfire with Torbjorn and/or other teammates. Upgrade it to level 2 if/when there is a lull in the fighting. Then forget about it until you have ult. Use your main weapon to wreck people at medium to short range. If they're shooting at the turret they're not shooting at you, make them understand that is a bad idea. I'm serious, if you can aim Torbjorn's gun you will wreck people. Blow heads off at medium range with primary, give the alt-fire to anybody unwise enough to get in close.

darklin0

Banned
Around corners or inside buildings are good to protect against snipers, but any D.Va can still juat fly in there and just shoot it while laughing at it's puny shots bouncing of her armor
My favorite thing to do is jump in as Winston and electrocute both the Torb and Turret. I drop he shield close enough for it to block the turret and I watch ad the Torb fixes the turret and he dies. Makes me chuckle everytime.

Sometimes they pop Molten Core and I have to jump away. ):

It already takes 6 seconds to get one to level 2. A level 1 turret dies from 1 widow sniper or 2 hanzo snipers. Or 1 helix rocket etc
Then I don't see a viable nerf for the people complaining. They are pretty weak as they stand.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

My personal trick with torb is to put them in door ways or corners where you can keep hammering on them while being completely out of sight.

So like for example when your opponents are making the big push from the 2nd to the 3rd point in el dorado there is that one room on the turn right before you get to the big open plaza with the med kit, you can put it in the corner of the door way and just hide around the corner repairing it constantly safely.

Alternatively put them in positions where they're going to have to run past them and have their backs to it before they can react, like in that nook across the street from the first point in numbani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom