• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Turrets remind me a lot of Reaper, they dont actually kill you, they just finish you off because you were low health from some other engagement. You won't die full health from going around a corner and getting shot by a turret, like you do with snipers for example.

Durden77

No problem, I've played a ton of Roadhog at this point because he's insanely fun but his hook can be bullshit on both ends. Lucio with amp'd speed is my bane, he always ends up behind me.

I've been playing him a lot lately because I've had too much Winston and yes he is insanely fun. But he can also be insanely frustrating. When you hit that hook but don't get the kill, or worse, GET killed yourself....RWAAAAAAARRRRRGGGG.

He's worth it tho. The way he plays is awesome. He's like a wall the other team has to get past. He seems like one of the more situational heroes though, I feel like playing him in some situations (certain stages, attack) isn't the right thing to do. But I do it anyway.

Gorillaz

If you want to get rid of that then you need to up the DPS considerably. Automatic lock-on is the only reason they're useful vs. the mobility heroes---and that very usefulness is one of the main reasons Torbjorn is picked.

They put out what is basically chip damage but that adds up, requiring those mobility heroes to spend more time running the healthpack route.

Still find it kind of mind-boggling that people have a problem with them. Maybe it is mostly controller players?

The bolded is honestly the biggest breakdown for alot of stuff in the thread I think. The game is a different beast on consoles then it is on PC. Maybe there is something lost in translation for alot of people here......

People fear a widow on PC, nobody actually fears a widow on console. Certain characters will just flow different on one side then the others. I actually don't actually think Blizz considered that in some cases.

Yeah, killing Junkrat does not stop the tire. I found this out the hard way.

Edit: Oh it said you killed the tire. That's really odd.

Yeah - I know it's my own fault if I don't kill Junkrat, but it said I killed the tire.

Junkrat clearly defies laws of physics.

A friend of mine tried playing Torb and was getting discouraged because of how easily the turrets die. It's tough for new players to keep them alive and make them useful apparently. :( Any tips?
Don't go for max coverage. For example, a good turret placement is not one with 100% coverage of an objective.

It's not worth them getting destroyed so easily. Their job is to finish off kills, not completely kill people on their own.

Instead, put them in a place with a focused area of fire, with decent cover, making them harder to kill. Then make up for the lack of turret coverage by moving around yourself and dealing with enemies. Torb's gun is great, and the shotgun mode is particularly stupendous.

Also, if it goes down, just put up a new one. If you can fix it, fine, but don't worry if it is being destroyed.

EDIT: This is how to effectively use a turret: https://gfycat.com/AptBadDuiker

Torb: ABF. Always Be Flanking

Yeah, killing Junkrat does not stop the tire. I found this out the hard way.

Edit: Oh it said you killed the tire. That's really odd.

WHATT?!!!

BUT IT SAID YOU KILLED THE TIRE???

Is this a tick rate issue or a latency issue? Or a what the hell kind of what

this is some time paradox shit

It's actually a weird design issue.

When Junkrat uses his tire, the one it spawns isn't the one that rolls. You can notice this by playing as Junkrat, and when you put down the tire it will 'blink' before it starts moving. So in reality, there are two tires-The one he spawns to do the animation of him launching it, and the one that actually rolls around.

I always wondered why the tire would 'blink' out of existence before actually starting to roll, and this confirms it~

What happens there is that Genji kills the one used for the animation of Junkrat launching it before it 'blinked' into the real tire.

A friend of mine tried playing Torb and was getting discouraged because of how easily the turrets die. It's tough for new players to keep them alive and make them useful apparently. :( Any tips?

I throw it down near my team or behind them to cover us while we hold a choke point. If the enemy is focused on you and not the turret, you'll get good damage output behind what your rivet gun can do (which is a lot, right click decimates tanks). Don't be afraid to move it to another location if you think it'll have good coverage and theres a bit of downtime to get it set up.

I've had times where the whole enemy team is on the point and its just me and another teammate to hold them off. If you drop a level 1 and run in, as long as they focus you and not the turret, thats good damage you can put out, even with a level one. Sometimes that distraction is enough to get reinforcements to the point, and you can fall back or re-spawn and go re-set your turret or upgrade it. Ideally though you could just molten core a level 2 and win the defense every time :p

Go for headshots, that rivet gun does good damage. And again, that right click is NASTY up close

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Torb himself is the real danger. Motherfucker can snipe with his rivet gun or shotgun you in the face up close, and has decent health.

Hard to think of something more satisfying than charging a Gengi / Bastion / Reaper after popping their ult. Maybe environmental kills with Lucio / Pharah

Rhaknar

Fighting against multiple Reinhardts is a fucking pain in the ass.

Ironically one of Reinhardt's biggest counters (besides the obvious Symmetra) is another Reinhardt, because the charge goes through the shield

Zaventem

Gotta move the turret around because keeping it in the same spot makes it vulnerable and know when to fold to a different character.

Gremlin D.Va is the real queen of Overwatch.

CkizOS4WEAABFJg.jpg:large

Gotta move the turret around because keeping it in the same spot makes it vulnerable and know when to fold to a different character.
Actually this is key and why I always remind people that it's ok to let your turret get destroyed.

Put it up somewhere new. It's a real amateur move to put it back up in the same place where they'll look for it.

NightOnyx

This is officially the most intense game I have ever played, all 3 points went to 99% 99% overtime so the whole match ended up lasting just over 25 minutes.

It was absolute insanity.

My friend got silver with 70 eliminations and apparently gold said he had 85 elims.

Damn, a 25 minute match. I've never had one last anywhere near that long. That must have felt great to win.

Rad-

There are always people with magical versions of a game with issues :)

This is what it's like for everyone I know: https://youtu.be/0MgzgK2Eky8

Yep this is slowly taking me away from the game. Winston is one of the heroes that gets it the worst. There has been dozens of times when I jumped away from danger long ago and then I die and in the kill cam I never even started the jump. Widowmaker is another because I swear I sometimes have my crosshair directly in the enemy's head and I still land no hit.

Rhaknar

Gremlin D.Va is the real queen of Overwatch.

CkizOS4WEAABFJg.jpg:large

Actually this is key and why I always remind people that it's ok to let your turret get destroyed.

Put it up somewhere new. It's a real amateur move to put it back up in the same place where they'll look for it.

Same for snipers actually

Owzers

Bastions ruined my fun, two of them and our two genji's running around couldn't quite do it.

We had a fun weird game in Hollywood defense against 5ish D.va's and a Lucio i think, I'm trying to get better at aiming with Hanzo but it's still not great, luckily they are large targets.

Have a rein, stand behind the shield and shoot out the turrets.

Done.

It seriously does pretty petty damage against his shield.

Presumably all of the Toblerones will be firing at a Reinhardt at the gates, plus their turrets. Though, if that's true then a D.va and Reaper flanking them, or a Bastion set-up behind the shield, could do decent damage to them, I think. Other characters would support the push, snipers or Pharah + support. Take out half of them and they'd never have enough time to set back up before you could demolish the rest.

Gimmick builds like that are really tough to beat without teamwork. I've only faced an Toblerone gimmick build once, and it wasn't pretty.

Xamdou

So I bought the collector's edition of Overwatch on Xbox one, if I buy the regular game of Overwatch on the PC, will the 5 Origin Skins and digital goodies of the C.E carry over?

Rokal

Completely sick of all the 3-5 Torbjorn games on defense as assault. I've run into over a dozen today on PS4, and they're always boring slogs. PUBs don't have the coordination to deal with this completely boring strategy.

Rhaknar

Anyone have that video of what it feels like playing Reinhardt around?

BigDug13

Have a rein, stand behind the shield and shoot out the turrets.

Done.

It seriously does pretty petty damage against his shield.

Each Torb does 100 dps in non-shotgun mode, even more in shotgun mode. 600 dps plus 6 turrets of damage. That shield isn't magic. And guaranteed one of those Torbs have molten core for double dps on turret and Torb.

The turrets themselves might not do that much damage but Torbs are a fairly damaging class on their own without turret.

Each death drops scrap for all 6 torbs. They have so much armor laying around, they basically keep healing themselves for 75. It's a tough break up without ults.

B.O.O.M

lol DVa Ults on the bridge thing at the very start of the Overwatch HQ map. I was on the slope near the first objective point for the payload...and I still died. I mean wtf?! What's the range of this thing?

And whatda ya know..Soldier is actually a lot of fun!

lol DVa Ults on the bridge thing at the very start of the Overwatch HQ map. I was on the slope near the first objective point for the payload...and I still died. I mean wtf?! What's the range of this thing?

Self-Destruct has a huge radius, but if you're behind any wall you're perfectly safe. The same is true for enemies.

So boosting it in (protip: you can activate it after boosting) to surprise the enemy is the best deployment method.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Each Torb does 100 dps in non-shotgun mode, even more in shotgun mode. 600 dps plus 6 turrets of damage. That shield isn't magic.

And the people behind your shield should be able to do even more damage, plus buy enough time to scatter to various spots to take out turrets and torbs from the backline. Hell, have a widow or two just behind your shield should be able to take care of it in 2 shield cycles, and that's assuming that the flankers who are pretty good with turrets (d.va, genji) aren't pulling their own weight.

Durden77

Soldier is a hell of a lot of fun. He's my goto offense guy and I've been playing him more and more. Surprised on how fun they've made a character who is seemingly so basic.

And his ultimate is one of the most fun and satisfying in the game. I'VE GOT YOU IN MY SIGHTS.

BigDug13

And the people behind your shield should be able to do even more damage, plus buy enough time to scatter to various spots to take out turrets and torbs from the backline. Hell, have a widow or two just behind your shield should be able to take care of it in 2 shield cycles, and that's assuming that the flankers who are pretty good with turrets (d.va, genji) aren't pulling their own weight.

It requires tight coordination against a stacked class that could be fully PUG level with zero coordination. It's tough.

What happens if Rein and D.Va charge at the same time towards each other head on? D.Va still gets pinned?

Rein wins and pins. If Rein charges another charging Rein, they stun eachother.

D.va's boost isn't really an attack, more of a mobility thing. It deals 50-ish damage, but merely bumps them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It requires tight coordination against a stacked class that could be fully PUG level with zero coordination. It's tough.

Eh, thems the breaks I guess, but I generally find that people nowadays tend to know what to swtich into even on pubs.

Rein wins and pins. If Rein charges another charging Rein, they stun eachother.

D.va's boost isn't really an attack, more of a mobility thing. It deals 50-ish damage, but merely bumps them.

Bumps people off cliffs pretty well though!

kagamin

Had my best round with Junkrat on defense just a few minutes ago, 17 killstreak and didn't die a single time, probably could've gone higher if I let them take the point but nope I killed them in cold blood. :p

Grief.exe

No problem, I've played a ton of Roadhog at this point because he's insanely fun but his hook can be bullshit on both ends. Lucio with amp'd speed is my bane, he always ends up behind me.

I've been playing him a lot lately because I've had too much Winston and yes he is insanely fun. But he can also be insanely frustrating. When you hit that hook but don't get the kill, or worse, GET killed yourself....RWAAAAAAARRRRRGGGG.

He's worth it tho. The way he plays is awesome. He's like a wall the other team has to get past. He seems like one of the more situational heroes though, I feel like playing him in some situations (certain stages, attack) isn't the right thing to do. But I do it anyway.

One of the best parts of Roadhog is you can instantly shut down some of the most powerful ults in the game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ROUTE 66, ROUTE 66, LIJIANG TOWER, LIJIANG TOWER, WATCHPOINT: GIBRALTOR, WATCHPOINT: GIBRALTOR

There's other maps in the game blizzard, goddam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom