• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wow.

Man, just got absolutely ROCKED on Lijiang Tower (spelling?). Lost 100% to 0% both rounds; barely even got a second of overtime. They were spawn killing us the second 50% of each game. Not one of our teammates got their ult off sucessfully.

Heysoos

Was in a match where we got rocked the first round 100-0. We kept getting destroyed by two Mei. So, we did the sensible thing and went all Mei and a Lucio the next round. Probably the most fun I've had in a long time. Enemy countered late with all Junkrats to cap. We countered with all Pharah. The next round we went all Tracer. I wish I hadn't fucked up my settings on Shadowplay earlier today otherwise I would have had the full match. I'm uploading the little piece that I did get.

1upsuper

Today I tried to use the awesome Roadhog advice I got here last night and I had a blast. He's such a fun character to use and you feel like such a champ when you hook poor bastards out of their hard earned ults. "I've got you in my si--" CAPTAIN HOOK DISAGREES

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What is the best way to play as Winston? I've been thinking of playing as a tank but I wasn't doing so well as him.

I play him as tank/harass. Basically just sit on the point, throw your shield down on cool down and jump around a lot while holding down the trigger. The constant damage might not feel like much but when your team shows up everyone is already at an advantage plus eventually they're gonna be like "SOME ONE KILL THIS MONKEY" and they'll waste a lot of time trying to focus you down when you have a healer/shield going and the constant damage of your tesla gun + team mates real damage will rack up some nasty elim count.

Basically just be absolutely annoying.

With enough gold to complete my Mercy

Symmetra is next :D

Great choice! Valk is way better than Sig due to the blue wings and blond hair if you ask me.

I am also saving up for a symmetra skin, unsure if I wanna get architect for the black colored turrets or if I wanna get Devi for the way it looks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oddly, yes.

I joined a game late on Volskoya Attack, picked Reaper, and proceeded to stealth-cap the second point right after my team got point A. The enemy was too panicked to stop me.

Reaper's stealth skills are unparalleled.

Sneaking a cap is actually one of the best ways to disrupt a good defense because they panic and 2/3 will rush to the point and leave the entraces unguarded

Sneaking a cap is actually one of the best ways to disrupt a good defense because they panic and 2/3 will rush to the point and leave the entraces unguarded

Volskaya B is a double-whammy like that, because it caps fast, uncaps slowly, and is generally locked down for the most part. That and Hanamura are weird, cool maps in that regard.

The brief window to pull off stuff like that, just after capping the first point, leads to some tense situations.

What is the best way to play as Winston? I've been thinking of playing as a tank but I wasn't doing so well as him.

On defense, as a backline killer. Take down supports and squishies from the back. Leap in and out. Gibraltar is probably one of the best maps for him to defend on.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
i'm starting to think the controls on console are just not good.

I had a chance to try out the console version the other night at a friend's house who double dipped and I noticed some differences in feel between the two versions.
Heroes like Genji, Hanzo, Pharah or anyone where you may have to switch between leading your shots and trying to go for point blank hits while moving erratically were much more frustrating to play fluidly.

Having some one get behind you as reinhardt was immensely terrifying.

Solider 76 felt immensely powerful because the aim assist basically felt like his ult was always active if you had your crosshair anywhere near an enemy.
It also felt much easier to track enemies at close range with Reaper, Mei, Symmetra and Tracer.

Despite the fact that it was the same game it felt very different to play with a controller.

I had a chance to try out the console version the other night at a friend's house who double dipped and I noticed some differences in feel between the two versions.
Heroes like Genji, Hanzo, Pharah or anyone where you may have to switch between leading your shots and trying to go for point blank hits while moving erratically were much more frustrating to play fluidly.

Having some one get behind you as reinhardt was immensely terrifying.

Solider 76 felt immensely powerful because the aim assist basically felt like his ult was always active if you had your crosshair anywhere near an enemy.
It also felt much easier to track enemies at close range with Reaper, Mei, Symmetra and Tracer.

Despite the fact that it was the same game it felt very different to play with a controller.

Genji and Windowmaker are the most impacted by console transition. Even Pharah is decent because you can stay in the air so long without most people being unable to hit you.

Nioret

Not sure why Blizzard is so insistent on having pc and console have the same balance updates. They're obviously two different worlds.

eek5

I mean, soimetimes I will stick to one or two people because they flow better with mercy like Pharah, but I for sure won't not go heal an injured teammate.

I always prioritize tanks because if they die it'll take them so long to walk back and they have such a big health pool that really charge up your ult on them since you can heal them so long.

I do ignore teammates though. People that are up on roofs and don't expose themselves or flankers that are too far away from the team. Doesn't really make sense to waste time trying to get to them especially if it'll leave me really exposed.

i'm starting to think the controls on console are just not good.

I do personally think Blizzard didn't do a great job with the analog stick aiming, coming straight out of a play of Doom, which was perfect. Even disabled aim assist in Doom, and it's fast-paced and able to track quite nicely. Overwatch's acceleration just doesn't feel super fine-tuned, and the aim assist sticks a bit too hard sometimes. I've sort of adapted, but I still hope Blizz takes time to revisit it, maybe play some other titles like Doom and find out what makes it tick so well. I tried to bring it up in OT1 but I am not sure it was seen, or if most of GAF is just playing on PC where it's not even an issue.

Mr_Moogle

I'm learning Mcree at the moment and I don't think he needs a nerf. Yeah his weapon is powerful but he's also pretty vulnerable. He doesn't have much in the way of a dodge, he has low health and his ultimate is really hard to use properly.

His good points balance the bad in my opinion.

ExVicis

If you have 30 seconds left and you're on a payload map on the Attack side as Tor, why would you bother staying as Tor? Why goddammit? I'm so frustrated at this. You can't build a new turret in the time it takes to get to get the payload, to the next checkpoint (or in this case the destination) and if you're doing a desperate push you're not gonna b putting a turret down anyway. You're going to be firing your gun at everything that moves trying to get the enemy off so you can push.

If a strategy clearly isn't going to work anymore then why continue trying it? Fuck. This view of Torbjorn's turret being OP basically led to this.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I needed to vent.

scoobs

I'm learning Mcree at the moment and I don't think he needs a nerf. Yeah his weapon is powerful but he's also pretty vulnerable. He doesn't have much in the way of a dodge, he has low health and his ultimate is really hard to use properly.

Fan the Hammer does too much damage and developers agree. He should be able to 1 shot low health heroes with his combo, not tanks. He's a jack of all trades at the moment as an offensive character.

ExVicis

If there's a McCree who can keep his aim fairly on target he can drop any character at all with a FTH, roll, then FTH again. In other words McCree is everyone's counter technically and that's just not right. His full 400 FTH damage is way way too much.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fan the Hammer does too much damage and developers agree. He should be able to 1 shot low health heroes with his combo, not tanks. He's a jack of all trades at the moment as an offensive character.
And the network mechanics behind his stun in combination with tickrate+latency creates some ol' bullshit.

Xeteh

Not sure why Blizzard is so insistent on having pc and console have the same balance updates. They're obviously two different worlds.

They have said the exact opposite. They're balancing PC and console differently.

So the hero you don't know how to play yet feels balanced? Are you not seeing what is wrong with that statement?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So the hero you don't know how to play yet feels balanced? Are you not seeing what is wrong with that statement?

"Ive only started playing yesterday and im level 10 but I think X is OP / fine"

Love those comments :)

We should organize some pick up games using custom servers to test out the high bandwidth option. Probably easiest to organize this over discord, but whatever works.

I prob can't tonight, but maybe tomorrow.

The ol' Tracer blink into a suction BACKWARDS because you're now flashbanged and dead.

Even better. You blink, teleport back because of flashbang. Then you blink again, teleport back because fan killed you. Double whammy.

Owzers

I'm only in a group with one person, do you get matched with groups of more? I just had a couple matches that our team got absolutely destroyed and the other side was playing abnormally great together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom