• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as versatile though. It's very situational when it comes to taking out groups. Hell, i frequently survive it as roadhog.
That's fair.
Somewhat off topic, but I could never understand why people can have a backlog of videogames. Especially for those who buy games out of habit, but will otherwise never play them.
I buy games usually when they're on sale or preorder discount. It's nice to have a catalog of games I can play whenever I want.

Not as versatile though. It's very situational when it comes to taking out groups. Hell, i frequently survive it as roadhog.

Killing roadhog with pulse bomb is the best. All you need to do is empty a clip on him, often not even a full clip due to headshots, and stick him which is incredibly easy.

The math breaks down as such. You only need to do 200 damage, because pulse bomb does 400. Tracer does 240 damage per a clip, not counting headshots. It takes 1 second to empty the clip, so less than 1 second to deal 200 damage.

If he somehow manages to heal enough to survive, you've got more than enough time to reload and negate all that healing. The best part is that roadhogs tend to run into other players once stuck. And most other characters will die from the blast. I get so many double + triple kills off sticking roadhog. It's the most fun.

I think roadhog is supposed to be strong against Tracer and to some extent he is. But at the same time a good tracer dances out of LMB range and within RMB range and builds ult so fast. And her ult really eats roadhog hard.

Genji is way more of a pest than tracer.

At least tracer doesn't have an ult that can regularly wipe out teams.
"Yus".

When I get solo rekt by a Genji its not that bad, he outplayed me, but when there are 2 or more of them and your hearing his dragonblade go off every 30 seconds it gets really old. Unless you have something that stuns him or a shield you're basically fucked.

Played a team who initially went out as 5 genjis and a mercy who where annoying but couldn't move the payload, two jumped off onto reaper and rein while the last 3 genjis chained their ults. Basically went from OT deadlocked on their doorstep to pushing the payload to the last point nearly uncontested. We only held them off by running double meis and double winstons.

Blues1990

I have a backlog because there are a lot of games I was looking forward to and bought but don't have the time to play as I work full time and have other responsibilities and commitments outside of work hours.
I get that, but I find it much more manageable to just stick with one game & play it to 90%-100% completion, and then I go out and buy something that I can sink my teeth in. In the case for Splatoon & Overwatch, I just play them in short bursts, so that I won't get burned-out from playing them.

Genji is just as big of a cunt TBH. Yeah he doesn't have recall to gain his health back but a good Genji will sneak up on you with a few shuriken, get your attention, wait for you to react and fire a few shots, reflect, then dash through you/melee, then throw a finishing shuriken, all the while bouncing around like an idiot.

Play more than one and it's basically non stop dragon blades after a minute or two if your tank allows itself to be their ult battery. It's sooooo annoying if you don't jump on Mei/McCree/Junkrat/Winston right away. If you aren't one of those characters you might as well ignore them unless you are out of their dash distance/they've already used reflect.

When I have a good team on defense, I always pick Genji to do exactly what you said. He's a really awesome character, though it's a bit hard to hit the enemies with the shuriken using a controller.

And when I see a Winston/Mei/Zarya closing up on me I just run away lol. McCree and Junkrat are actually ok since you can deflect their attacks, although Junkrat steel trap can be really annoying.

I can at least respect a good Genji since he's not an easy character.

This. A needed around 10 hours with him and playing against other Genjis using different characters to finally understand how to play him in an effective way. I sucked so much in the beginning...

Genji is way more of a pest than tracer.

At least tracer doesn't have an ult that can regularly wipe out teams.

I think his ultra is one of the hardest to pull it off, since basically all the enemy team are looking for you when you draw your sword. You also have to pick your targets very carefully.

performance for this placement somehow worst than PTR. PTR it was at least 5-5. this? 2-8 LOL RIP RIP RIP. rank 41. i'm going to shower. wash this filth off and rank up now.

Welcome to the club. At least you got 40+. Ranking up is a bitch though; I just won a quarter point after three straight wins. You probably lose a whole point when you lose a match.

When I have a good team on defense, I always pick Genji to do exactly what you said. He's a really awesome character, though it's a bit hard to hit the enemies with the shuriken using a controller.

And when I see a Winston/Mei/Zarya closing up on me I just run away lol. McCree and Junkrat are actually ok since you can deflect their attacks, although Junkrat steel trap can be really annoying.

This. A needed around 10 hours with him and playing against other Genjis using different characters to finally understand how to play him in an effective way. I sucked so much in the beginning...

I think his ultra is one of the hardest to pull it off, since basically all the enemy team are looking for you when you draw your sword. You also have to pick your targets very carefully.

You also have to be on point with your aim, combos and canceling the sheathing animation. Not getting that projectile throw>dash>melee combo can get you killed or stop your momentum.

My biggest issue with Genji is getting used to his deflect and mobility. I am not sharp with his combos too because I barely played him (now is the time to ruin my quick play stats).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Killing roadhog with pulse bomb is the best. All you need to do is empty a clip on him, often not even a full clip due to headshots, and stick him which is incredibly easy.

The math breaks down as such. You only need to do 200 damage, because pulse bomb does 400. Tracer does 240 damage per a clip, not counting headshots. It takes 1 second to empty the clip, so less than 1 second to deal 200 damage.

If he somehow manages to heal enough to survive, you've got more than enough time to reload and negate all that healing. The best part is that roadhogs tend to run into other players once stuck. And most other characters will die from the blast. I get so many double + triple kills off sticking roadhog. It's the most fun.

I think roadhog is supposed to be strong against Tracer and to some extent he is. But at the same time a good tracer dances out of LMB range and within RMB range and builds ult so fast. And her ult really eats roadhog hard.

I mean her ult is meant to eat most people hard, but in my experience it depends on which character out flanks the other, because roadhog very rarely should stick to groups all the time. If roadhog gets the drop on her she rarely gets a chance to do the lmb plus pulse bomb combo.

He's like a defensive flanker.

I mean her ult is meant to eat most people hard, but in my experience it depends on which character or flanks the other, because roadhog very rarely should stick to groups all the time. If roadhog gets the drop on her she rarely gets a chance to do the lmb plus pulse bomb combo.

Does that make Roadhog a viable solo tank in the team?

A good Roadhog is also really annoying lmao. Seems like they never fucking die unless you gang up on him and don't let him run behind the wall he's hooking you out of.

ramyeon

I tend to avoid Roadhogs as Tracer. Not worth taking on the majority of the time unless someone else is with you and dealing damage at the same time. They're too tanky, it's too risky to get in close and they usually just run off and heal anyway. Never target them for my ult either.

I tend to avoid Roadhogs as Tracer. Not worth taking on the majority of the time unless someone else is with you and dealing damage at the same time. They're too tanky, it's too risky to get in close and they usually just run off and heal anyway. Never target them for my ult either.
I just wait until I see them use the hook and then divebomb them. They are ult batteries.

Yeah, Tracers are getting better lately, at least from my experience. Used to be able to reliably fry them as Symmetra when they tried to sneak around a flank, but the slippery little devils are getting better at saving their dashes and actually accurately hitting me while I desperately try to run at them. At least Genjis are still easy pickings. Poor little dears always trying to reflect my death beam.

I'm a PC player and I still don't really know how to deal with Tracers. Any tips?

I play a lot of Tracer and I fucking haaaate Junkrat traps. Also yeah, flashbangs bad.

edit: Messing with this new mouse plus looking over my Overbuff stats made my realize that my aim is terrible. I've been playing at a fairly high sensitivity, like 1800/2000 DPI with 12 sens. I've read that moving to a lower DPI/sens has really helped some people's aim. Worth giving it a shot? It feels really unnatrual.

duckroll

Oh yeah, for some reason I don't think of using traps actively enough as a Junkrat. I've been on the receiving end of it before, where I chase a Junkrat and foolishly run into his trap, but when I play as one I tend to place and forget, instead of using one while I'm in a firefight. Gotta practice that more. >_<

This was a first. It was 5v6 for a very short time and then every time I looked at the scoreboard it was 6v6 so I have no idea what he was going on about. He bitched at us for another couple minutes and the rest of his team said he was the one that lost them the game because he was AFK complaining in chat. Sometimes people are so... fascinating.

dzjBQy3.png

Veelk

Banned
This was a first. It was 5v6 for a very short time and then every time I looked at the scoreboard it was 6v6 so I have no idea what he was going on about. He bitched at us for another couple minutes and the rest of his team said he was the one that lost them the game because he was AFK complaining in chat. Sometimes people are so... fascinating.

dzjBQy3.png

Well, I'm not gonna say he doesn't entirely not have a point.

Sometimes, when playing Halo, if the team wasn't balanced, sometimes I would get into a warthog or mongoose, run up to the enemy who was carrying our flag, and I honked at him until he got on. Then I drove him to our base and let him score.

I thought this wouldn't be recooperated, but a long time later, when I was in the same situation, someone else did the same for me.

It's nice to sometimes have an honor system, because the point of any game is to have fun. Completely dominating a game isn't as fun as a close match, so I can get grey's assertion that letting the other team keep their teleportor as a handicap.

Jintor

Oh yeah, for some reason I don't think of using traps actively enough as a Junkrat. I've been on the receiving end of it before, where I chase a Junkrat and foolishly run into his trap, but when I play as one I tend to place and forget, instead of using one while I'm in a firefight. Gotta practice that more. >_<

Ratty's mine especially is almost always more useful as a bomb to the face than as a planned trap since the recharge is so fast.

This is kinda true with all abilities tbh

Canucked

Been using Lucio just for some variety in play but I keep messing up speed vs healing. I don't know why I automatically hit that button when I just want to boost. I have to switch them or something.

Well, I'm not gonna say he doesn't entirely not have a point.

Sometimes, when playing Halo, if the team wasn't balanced, sometimes I would get into a warthog or mongoose, run up to the enemy who was carrying our flag, and I honked at him until he got on. Then I drove him to our base and let him score.

I thought this wouldn't be recooperated, but a long time later, when I was in the same situation, someone else did the same for me.

It's nice to sometimes have an honor system, because the point of any game is to have fun. Completely dominating a game isn't as fun as a close match, so I can get grey's assertion that letting the other team keep their teleportor as a handicap.

I don't disagree with the thought. I too do similar things in something like Halo. But it wasn't 4v6 most of the game. 5v6 for a bit at the start then 6v6 but he spent half the game complaining in chat. It was just bizarre.

I mean her ult is meant to eat most people hard, but in my experience it depends on which character out flanks the other, because roadhog very rarely should stick to groups all the time. If roadhog gets the drop on her she rarely gets a chance to do the lmb plus pulse bomb combo.

I know what you mean. He can cover some flank routes. But that isn't always a viable tactic and you actually need to be close to characters to effectively stop them from assassinating them. Roadhog himself is very slow, so if you're covering one flank and a genji or pharah just simply goes a different route, you can't stop them from tearing your healers and softer characters to bits. So roadhog tends to group up, at least at times, to effectively use his chain as a disruption tool. If he had mobility, that'd be a different story.

awkward POTM of Roadhog (me). when you hoook a soldier, kill him, then ult and just spray bullets at no one but randomly lands one on the mei next to you but rest of bullets wasted.

duckroll

Errrrrrrrr.... I dunno. I feel really odd about having an expectation that if something is unbalanced that I'm entitled sympathy points. I would be upset if the game is unbalanced, but that would be directed at the people who dropped, or the shit matchmaking, not at the other team playing normally.

ramyeon

That kind of handicap is nice and all but it's not a written law and people shouldn't be expecting it or complaining when it doesn't happen.

I'm a PC player and I still don't really know how to deal with Tracers. Any tips?

Since aiming is easier/faster on PC, I would probably use Soldier 76. Put a biotic field down to keep healing, and fight her without moving from that area.

When I play Tracer on PS4 that's generally what Soldiers do, and they're pretty troublesome to kill. I imagine that they would be even harder on PC.

X-Frame

I think it's safe to say that my "main" for PS4 Competitive will be Zarya. No other character seems to mesh with me as much as her, though I still have plenty to learn and improve.

Excelling at Zarya really seems to be the Art of Disengaging. I will be managing my shields, Barrier, and Energy and notice that I am the last person standing quite often, especially in KOTH, but only if I back off and not over-reach to allow my shields to recharge and Barrier to get off cool down before pushing again.

Otherwise it's rinse/repeat until she is wielding a Death Star laser and mini-nukes
that are currently bugged for higher than intended consistent damage!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I know what you mean. He can cover some flank routes. But that isn't always a viable tactic and you actually need to be close to characters to effectively stop them from assassinating them. Roadhog himself is very slow, so if you're covering one flank and a genji or pharah just simply goes a different route, you can't stop them from tearing your healers and softer characters to bits. So roadhog tends to group up, at least at times, to effectively use his chain as a disruption tool. If he had mobility, that'd be a different story.

Yep definitely, he shouldn't stick to people all the time but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't group up. On defense i usually move back and forth between the backlines and the flanks just to catch people out.

XenoRaven

Man it sure was a good idea to break up pub teams with any semblance of teamwork immediately after they get one or two wins. The game should just flash a big sign in front of you before you queue for matchmaking that says "QUEUE AS A PREMADE OR ABANDON ALL HOPE".

Good team. Picked up two wins. Half the enemy team leaves, team broken up, get put on a team that wants to run Widow and Hanzo on Numbani. Team can barely get past the first bus because of a Torb, a McCree, and a Mercy.

The one bright spot was that in the game where my team was good, there was a McCree who kept hiding in the room on the left by the point on King's Row and just pressing two buttons so he could pretend he was awesome, so I switched to Roadhog and just hunted him down. He quit right before we scored the payload. Sad story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom