• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Errrrrrrrr.... I dunno. I feel really odd about having an expectation that if something is unbalanced that I'm entitled sympathy points. I would be upset if the game is unbalanced, but that would be directed at the people who dropped, or the shit matchmaking, not at the other team playing normally.

Yeah I completely understand being angry about quitters and the matchmaking not filling spots right away but taking it out on the other team is just so weird. Especially because it can be hard to even notice spots are empty on the other team. And then not trying for a full minute because you're getting mad at me for destroying the teleporter. Ah well.

Apathy

Oh yeah, for some reason I don't think of using traps actively enough as a Junkrat. I've been on the receiving end of it before, where I chase a Junkrat and foolishly run into his trap, but when I play as one I tend to place and forget, instead of using one while I'm in a firefight. Gotta practice that more. >_<

All the time. The cooldown is short. You know ego really hate it? Ulting winstons

Level 25 can't get here soon enough. Just had an absolutely brutal stretch of games with double snipers or just outright refusal to contest an objective. Hoping competitive alleviates this at least a little bit because when it's bad, it's bad.

Level 25 can't get here soon enough. Just had an absolutely brutal stretch of games with double snipers or just outright refusal to contest an objective. Hoping competitive alleviates this at least a little bit because when it's bad, it's bad.

Well unless you get ranked in the 60s I wouldn't expect it to change much.

Low level ranked isn't different. I suggest that you stay away from ranked until you reach level 50 at least. Try ranked when you are as competent as possible with at least one of each hero type. Get in a group when doing placement test and give it your best.

I rushed ranked and got a rating of 33 in solo que; I had quitters on both sides and people refusing to play tank/healer. Ranked solo que is a cesspool at that rating; it is quick play with numbers. No one listens/uses chat, torb/bastion everywhere, people only attack choke points...etc. Ranked is shit overall right now, give it some time unless you don't care about your ratings/rank (you shouldn't if you have a lot of friends to invite you).

Crzy1

Was hoping the competitive mode would make games more competitive, but seems like it's the same as quick play, every match has been lopsided. Used to it by now, was just hoping for less matches that are total shutouts. The game is great when it's close, but the majority of my matches aren't, not as much fun stomping the other team or getting stomped.

oakenhild

0-2 so far in competitive play. Neither of the matches were even close. Not a good experience so far at all.

It's definitely bringing out the worst in people too.

everyone wants to be a critique after the match but didn't bother during. excuse me but youre part of the team too so saying shit team includes you too (y)

Same here, sub 25 has become a nightmare hole. I have no problem playing with newer players or people who just bought the game, I really really don't but dang 2 reapers who are trying to play from far away... and what not.

Also never assumed or thought Zarya was gay, yet everyone has been telling me she is today. -shrug-

This was a first. It was 5v6 for a very short time and then every time I looked at the scoreboard it was 6v6 so I have no idea what he was going on about. He bitched at us for another couple minutes and the rest of his team said he was the one that lost them the game because he was AFK complaining in chat. Sometimes people are so... fascinating.

dzjBQy3.png
I would never have the expectation that someone do that for me, although it would admittedly be nice.

That said, I don't really like being penalized for leavers or people with shitty connections. It's pretty unfair to have a bad experience because other people are inconsiderate, but that doesn't fall on my opponents so much.

Something tells me I should wait a few days to play more ranked when the curb stompers are at a higher level where I won't be matched against them that often.

Same here, sub 25 has become a nightmare hole. I have no problem playing with newer players or people who just bought the game, I really really don't but dang 2 reapers who are trying to play from far away... and what not.

Also never assumed or thought Zarya was gay, yet everyone has been telling me she is today. -shrug-

Someone in my team called bastion/torb a "fucking camper" on the main chat during placement test matching. I knew I was fucked when I read that.

J Range

I tend to avoid Roadhogs as Tracer. Not worth taking on the majority of the time unless someone else is with you and dealing damage at the same time. They're too tanky, it's too risky to get in close and they usually just run off and heal anyway. Never target them for my ult either.

Of all tracers supposed counters roadhog goves me the least problems. Hes just not a quick kill. I try to bait him into firing his hook or gun a few times so i know hes going to need to reload, and then attack, eapecially when hes healing to negate it.

I actively avoid torj turrets, head to head with junkrat, and zayra the most.

ISOM

Lol someone wanted to critique my choice in McCree in ranked. It seems he's useless to some now that he can't kill Tanks in one clip anymore. You can tell the people who can't aim for shit if they think Mccree isn't a viable offensive option anymore.

Done for today. I played the PTR placement matches a few days back, but just got around to doing them this evening for reals and ended up with a 57 rating. Lost the first two matches then won 7 straight and lost the final. Had some pretty good Zarya and Lucio matches (for me) in there, but those are always a byproduct of good teammates.

I was a little apprehensive about the mode since it was pretty terrible in PTR in regards to teammates and whatnot, but it appears to be better so far in the real thing. Hopefully it can stay this way.

Currently 4-1 in placement matches. I'm still playing this game at the pace I like - a few matches each evening. I'm just hoping competitive will be more likely to match me up with teams that want to win the game; I'm not really looking to grind out rating or accumulate rewards. I just want a good match. It seems to be delivering on that - I don't know if the percentage of "good matches" is higher than in Quick Play, but those "good matches" tend to be even tighter and crazier than before.

I managed to be part of a full hold on Temple of Anubis, which was awesome - especially towards the end when they were holding up ultimates and unleashed them all at once (turns out my Sound Barrier and a teammate's Resurrection were more than capable of negating a six-ball of ultimates). And I got to be a part of a great five-round set on Lijiang Tower - well, it was actually a bloodbath at first, until I realized that playing Lucio on a team with Pharah and a bunch of Tanks just wasn't impactful enough. I switched to 76, and it was like a switch flipped. We went from getting rolled to being competitive, and it felt great.

Amusingly, one guy on our team kept typing "ez" into the chat at the end of each round, no matter who won. The first time he did it people got really salty. By the end it had become a running gag, and everybody seemed to leave the match really happy. The Zarya on the losing team got an Epic card and lots of complements in chat (because she was kicking our ass constantly). So while we all like to complain about the shitty people, there are a lot of chill players out there too. Don't lose hope!

Just went 8-2 in placement and got a 52.. No idea how it actually works but I guess I should be happy. It also seems that they don't replace people who don't join at all. An entire match was 6v4 because of it.

Eric WK

my overbuff is not updating for some reason

It's happening for many people. The playoverwatch.com stats aren't updating so sites can't pull from them.

I'm not sure if it's only consoles not getting updated, but it seems like it since competitive stats are updating for PC.

Took two weeks off from the game. Came back yesterday to confirm that it's still crack.

Lucio is too fun. On Ilios Lightouse, just blasted a McCree who was in the middle of High Noon off the side. He might have gotten it off (but too early, didn't kill anyone), but it was still hilarious.

Why are people very dismissive of the notion that matchmaking puts in you in a match with a high probability that you will lose? Do you guys have any proof to backup that statement other than accusing people of being deluded?

I am not trying to stir up anything or call someone out; I just want to discuss it. The phenomena of getting "punished" in a bad group or a very high level lobby seems to be consistent every time after getting good matches. I do have in mind that this is purely a probability based on a vulnerable matchmaking algorithm that matches million of players.

P.S the game didn't save a great PoTG and last push in Hollywood. That was an amazing match (best Reinhardt play I ever did). I blocked 19k damage (not my best) and went apeshit on their whole team. The only thing pissed me off was that level 26 player who just kept going Torb or Pharah; he was in a lobby of people with prestige and shit.

I actually remembered the forced 50 thing because every time I have a streak of good games, I get grouped with either abnormal people, or high level play AND a low level one who always goes torb/bastion/hanzo--it is like a punishment camp every time you do well. I just had that moment with that low level torb, but we won later on. Just before that punishment camp, I was in a very crappy lobby of two bad teams: one went with Torb+rein+pharah, and our team couldn't counter them until I used Pharah to kill torb. Then I switch to Reaper because of an annoying tracer and I cleared their team with the ult (but no one capitalized). Some idiot started complaining about McCree+mercy combo, but I told him that our torb (count how many times I mention torb) dragged us down and refused to switch at the beginning when I told him politely TWICE.

Note that I was practicing in quick play. I don't want to ruin my 3-0 ranked score--not until I get a group and improve more.

lol. told people. and with the torb nerf, she's only going to get worse and worse and worse.

I am starting to hate her seriously big time. I know how to counter her, but I just met one today that kept on attacking near health packs. I almost killed her like seven times and she keeps coming back; I was having a hard time in that match because my team was getting smashed (the first torb match where I told him we don't need torb). I fought her as Soldier-76 and made a mistake of not chasing when she had a pixel left at the start of the match, and she kept on escaping again and again, but I had to watch the payload and push. That Tracer ended up with a 20 kill streak.

50 is average right? Got 56 after placement. Pretty happy with that I guess.

Yeah, you're on the right side of the bell curve.

I'm at the middle, got exactly 50 after my 7-3 run.

I feel if I didn't end up supporting as much I would've been a bit higher, because the matches I got to play Zarya / Bastion / Pharah I was on fire.

Ah well, ready to start working toward those golden guns.

Just went 8-2 in placement and got a 52.. No idea how it actually works but I guess I should be happy. It also seems that they don't replace people who don't join at all. An entire match was 6v4 because of it.

Once a match starts I don't think they let people join in, but if someone leaves at the pick / setup phase it gives them 20 seconds to reconnect or it kicks everyone out.

Grisby

Defending with Tracer on Hanamura is so good. Dudes didn't know what hit them.

God she's powerful against the right teams. She is ze mascot after all I suppose.

solo queue is ??????????????????????????????????????????

One DPS, Torb, Hanzo, Junkrat. Roadcock, Zenyatta.

Three DPS or two with Hanzo, Torb, Bastion, and one scapegoat--healer or tank.

Payload gives you AIDS.

Objectives are for pussies.

Activate ults the moment you can use them; Hanzo's ult is ideal to use at spawn.

duckroll

I've seen Hanzos unleash their ults in corridors as we are all charging towards the payload point (which is much further away). I have no idea why. Some of them are really high level players too, so it can't be inexperience. What the hell are they expecting to hit? Enemies that are trying to potentially spawncamp us? Why would they do that when they're moving the fucking payload and we are defending???????

Ramirez

I said it weeks ago, a great Tracer/Genji on console are basically impossible to kill. Tracer can pump out a fuck ton of damage too fairly easy. Genji just feels like an annoying gnat that you can't swat down, lol.

-MD-

Went 8-2 in my placements, the final match was the worst I've ever been beaten, either the enemy team was incredible or the other 4 people on our team were just awful.

Guess I'm rank 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom