• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I just played what I think is the fastest Weekly possible

My team not once came into the objective, all 5 just stayed outside
I got 11 Eliminations before dying, they just let them cap, like you do realize Defend has a meaning behind it

4 minute Hanamura, where the weekly match takes roughly 12-15 minutes...

brian!

Can anyone shine a light as to how in-game metrics affect mmr/rank? I went 8-2 and got placed 55 while my bruh went 7-3 and got placed 61, his stats were better tho

Feel like itd be slightly wack to reward picking characters you can get a good kda with vs. things like map-specific picks and filling roles

duckroll

I keep confusing Route 66 and Hollywood in my mind. I don't know why. Is it because they're both western themed maybe?

Anyway I had a hilarious match earlier where we played against two of the WORST Bastions I've ever seen. After we took Point A in Hollywood and activated the payload, suddenly a Bastion ult'd and flew off from the second storey to attack the point... after the payload was long gone. There was no one there and we turned around and shot him to death.

Later on, I was Winston and standing on the payload like a king, and I heard the Bastion ult chime again. I prepared to jump off, but when I turned around I saw him moving backwards through the alley, away from the payload, only to get ganked to death at a chokepoint by the rest of my team.

As the payload made its way through the inside stage near the end, there was one point where I was stealthing the payload by crouching and just hanging on the side of it without enemies. This is the dumbest strategy ever as Winston because I'm a HUGE APE. But yet.... somehow it worked. They would line up on one side, try to shoot through the payload, and then get killed when my team came from the side. No one thought to just try and move around to shoot me even though I was the only one moving it. Once I sneaked out on the front of the payload, saw the butt of a Torb trying to build a turret, and zapped him to death.

It was the saddest victory ever. Lol.

abundant

Just learned last night how effective a Lucio + Mercy combo is. We won several games, including a complete shut down on Attack Hanamura.

Zemm

Poke's 6 man group keeps getting put against solo queues and 3x duo queues. As you can guess, those matches are a waste of time. He's won 5 since I watched and moved up about 30% of a level.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Poke's 6 man group keeps getting put against solo queues and 3x duo queues. As you can guess, those matches are a waste of time. He's won 5 since I watched and moved up about 30% of a level.

I really do not understand why this is allowed.

Finished my placement rounds this morning. After hearing a lot of the horror stories about competitive here, I found my games today to actually be pretty good, even one of the two we lost. Almost no one was salty or even giving a lot of character "suggestions," people were pointing out threats and calling ults on chat and generally being chill.

Also, I can't believe it took me this long to realize that Junkrat's mine is actually a really good defense against another Junkrat's tire if you can time it decently.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Got the banana skin, banana spray and the "No I do not want a banana" voice line for Winston. I'm ready to face the world now.

X-Frame

As Mercy, if all teammate's are healed up should I be Damage Boosting or using my super accurate Pistol for another damage source?

I'm sure it depends on the situation, but for instance if I'm relatively safe behind a Rein shield or being ignored as my team takes aggro, I'd rather not glide over to a teammate in the thick of things to give them extra damage and putting myself in danger if I can add some DPS myself from the back line or behind a shield.

How often do you all as Mercy swap to your Pistol? I feel like I only do it now when I am the last alive and trying to survive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As Mercy, if all teammate's are healed up should I be Damage Boosting or using my super accurate Pistol for another damage source?

I'm sure it depends on the situation, but for instance if I'm relatively safe behind a Rein shield or being ignored as my team takes aggro, I'd rather not glide over to a teammate in the thick of things to give them extra damage and putting myself in danger if I can add some DPS myself from the back line or behind a shield.

How often do you all as Mercy swap to your Pistol? I feel like I only do it now when I am the last alive and trying to survive.

I barely played mercy, but I feel like pistol is for desperate situation. Damage boost is seriously strong with characters like pharah and soldier.

I only use my pistol as a last resort. Otherwise if there is anyone else alive I'm damage boosting or healing them to make sure they stay alive.

Damage boosted Junkrats or Pharah do a shit ton more damage than my pistol.

Interfectum

The worst feeling as a Mercy on a doomed team is when you rush back into the action and use your ult, only to realize you just revived the Hanzo on your team.

Best feeling is having Hanzo on team and as Lucio I top damage and heals. What the fuck was the guy even doing...

abundant

It depends on the team comp. If there's a Bastion, Soldier 76, Pharah, Junkrat, or Roadhog on your team, damage boosting them will help your team immensely.

vareon

Just got my first ever POTG as Mercy. Killed a critical Reinhart and proceeded to resurrect three teammates. It's worth the victory pose I bought.

I feel like Mercy's gun sometimes give an unexpected line of fire to enemies. Like they don't expect Mercy to drop the staff and started shooting. Of course, good enemies will prioritize killing me, but sometimes there are games where you know none of your opponents target you.

DrArchon

It really depends on who is on your team. If there's a Pharah, Junkrat, or Soldier 76 then I'll always be damage boosting one of them if I don't need to heal anyone, because boosting someone with a splash damage attack is usually a better source of damage than her pistol.

Can anyone shine a light as to how in-game metrics affect mmr/rank? I went 8-2 and got placed 55 while my bruh went 7-3 and got placed 61, his stats were better tho

Feel like itd be slightly wack to reward picking characters you can get a good kda with vs. things like map-specific picks and filling roles
In-game metrics matter, although it's not clear exactly how, and Blizzard probably don't want to be too candid about it.

But people need to understand this is basically an Elo system and two players going 8-2, e.g., does not mean the same thing. Whom you win or lose against—and what the system expects from a matchup—is key. When you get matchmade, look and see which team is the "underdog"; those players have less at stake if they lose and more to gain if they win.

The other thing to remember is that 10 games is a tiny, tiny sample size, and all ranked players probably need to hit 50 or more games before this thing shakes out more or less fairly.

That said, the system still seems grindable to some degree: the amount you can gain or lose seems pretty constrained, and it doesn't look like you can go up or down multiple ranks at a time after being placed.

My guess is Blizzard are subtly tweaking things so most people can build on their initial placement over the course of a season and feel good about themselves. That fits with the rest of their design philosophy on the game while still making things "competitive."

JHall

The feels when you launch Zarya's ult and trap the entire team only for your Mei teammate to put an ice wall up blocking the line of sight...

abundant

The feels when you launch Zarya's ult and trap the entire team only for your Mei teammate to put an ice wall up blocking the line of sight...

Zarya's ult is up their with Lucio and Mercy as one of the most effective ults in the game. I love it when you manage to trap the other team, allowing your own team to rush in and finish them off. So satisfying when the Team Kill message pops up afterwards.

duckroll

It depends on what you mean by your team being healed up. If they're in the middle of a firefight, you want to keep healing on the ones taking damage to top them up and keep the push going. If you're in a defensive position and everyone is at full health and behind a Reinhardt, then damage boost the ones doing the shooting like Pharah or Bastion. Switch to heal immediately if they're taking damage.

The pistol is pretty useless as an additional damage source unless you're really good at moving and aiming, because you generally want to keep Mercy out of sight. You are far more valuable to the team alive and hidden from view than you are doing a bit more damage and then dead when they need a revive or heal. The pistol is very useful if you're caught alone in a corridor and you manage to surprise the enemy before they realize you can shoot back. Otherwise... nah.

Just got my first ever POTG as Mercy. Killed a critical Reinhart and proceeded to resurrect three teammates. It's worth the victory pose I bought.

I feel like Mercy's gun sometimes give an unexpected line of fire to enemies. Like they don't expect Mercy to drop the staff and started shooting. Of course, good enemies will prioritize killing me, but sometimes there are games where you know none of your opponents target you.

Especially if someone isn't paying attention, Mercy's pistol can kill them pretty quickly. It's not a bad weapon, but if I'm with someone who has half decent aim I'd rather damage boost them.

"MEI!" is probably the most shouted thing on my mic, TBH. Had it happen too many times on Temple of Anubis when I was Roadhog.

Anyways, played a couple games last night, won them all. Now MMR 52 :D

I had a PotG on Hanamura where I was pinned by a Reinhart as Reinhart, with their Zennyata ulting on our objective B. I then ult, kill Zenny and Rein, and then Charge through Hanzo's ult to kill him and another.

Felt so good, had around 100 life after the dragon charge lol.

Zarya's ult is up their with Lucio and Mercy as one of the most effective ults in the game. I love it when you manage to trap the other team, allowing your own team to rush in and finish them off. So satisfying when the Team Kill message pops up afterwards.

Yeah, despite the slow charge it's just amazing. I love it on Lijiang Tower. We had 2 Roadhogs, me as Zarya, Lucio, and Pharah. That match was such a stomp.

I swap to pistol to defend myself (if I don't have a teammate to damage boost who can do it for me), or to clean up kills no one else has a bead on. The pistol is surprisingly easy to land headshots with on flankers, too. You can give Tracer, Genji, etc. fits.

Drewfonse

Finished 5-5, 53.

Two of my losses involved us having short handed teams. But, hey, I can take solace in that I can quit the game WITH NO PENALTY in 34 seconds, right? Whoops, nope, if you quit you get a loss. But you're not penalized. Phew. I almost felt like the loss WAS a penalty for some asshole leaving. Glad I got corrected.

i really want to try to learn tracer but i was doing some practice in the training stage and i keep blinking and hitting a wall. i forget that she blinks to where i point the reticle if im going forward. and i get confused after i get there but i have to turn my sensitivity up with her so i can flick the rest and be able to turn 360 real quick.

X-Frame

Thanks everyone re: Mercy.

That is how I have been playing; healing priority but when there is no teammate damage being taken and we are relatively safe I will damage boost the most effective player.

I just wanted to see if I was leaving anything on the table by not using the Pistol more often. I assume it could be useful to help DPS turrets or Bastion of I'm safe because it's so accurate, but otherwise stay safe and do my job!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATaxoqbmhcs

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

Drewfonse

Rude awakening in this game: when you start to think that you're pretty good with a character....and then you run into an opponent who is really good with them. And they torment you on purpose. My Tracer experience last night. It was like, LEAVE ME THE FUCK
ALONE YOU ARE EMBARASSING ME

Defuser

So after 1 whole day of not playing competitive I decided to play 1 match of it....one of my teammates pick Hanzo....fml. I exited before the match started.

Finished 5-5, 53.

Two of my losses involved us having short handed teams. But, hey, I can take solace in that I can quit the game WITH NO PENALTY in 34 seconds, right? Whoops, nope, if you quit you get a loss. But you're not penalized. Phew. I almost felt like the loss WAS a penalty for some asshole leaving. Glad I got corrected.

Yeah, I had two matches where one person left, and we bravely tried to soldier on anyway but ended up losing. And then one match, 3 people on the opposing team left. I felt bad for the other 3 who tried desperately to push the payload. Eventually 2 more left and it was just one Solo Mei who kept charging out of the spawn room into our hail of bullets. I'm sure all the Mei haters on the team were getting a visceral thrill out of the whole thing, even if we were wasting our time having to play the match out.

Rude awakening in this game: when you start to think that you're pretty good with a character....and then you run into an opponent who is really good with them. And they torment you on purpose. My Tracer experience last night. It was like, LEAVE ME THE FUCK

Had that experience in competitive with Zarya. I cleaned house with her in my qualifying matches, and then once I tried some more competitive matches in solo, I ran into Zaryas that made me feel like I had no idea how to play the character.

abundant

What I find somewhat frustrating is when you're trying a new hero, like D.Va or Winston, and you're doing an okay job with them, then you face another team that has a better player using that hero, leaving you to wonder - how the heck are they making this look so easy when I have a harder time doing it?

So after 1 whole day of not playing competitive I decided to play 1 match of it....one of my teammates pick Hanzo....fml. I exited before the match started.

what would you do if you were in a group and someone picks hanzo.

only a game i can think of was i was junkrat and the other team had one on a KOTH stage. after the round (we won) someone posted in the chat "trade junkrat?"

speaking of him. it's hard to spam bomb when you see zarya or genji around. one you don't want to charge up her cannon or make genji deflect and hit your team.

Only time I ever use Mercy's pistol is if someone is chasing me down and there isn't a team-mate close enough for me to fly to or I'm the only one left.

Might as well go down fighting on the off chance I kill them instead of letting them beat the shit out of me freely.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
anyone notice performance drops on pc? the in game fps counter and msi afterburner is showing a solid 60fps for me but something feels off...doesn't feel as smooth.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This is one of those days where I feel like I'm grouped with people that don't know how to play the game. Who don't switch to genji to take out bastions. Who think that going to point A one by one to die off is a good strategy. Who can't seem to aim for anything.

Sigh. Randoms can get frustrating.

mxgt

Banned

lol

Cmon dude, you're worse than he is for bailing.

There is a
small
chance that he's good

Davidion

This is one of those days where I feel like I'm grouped with people that don't know how to play the game. Who don't switch to genji to take out bastions. Who think that going to point A one by one to die off is a good strategy. Who can't seem to aim for anything.

Sigh. Randoms can get frustrating.

I hear you. I feel like it's a fairly rare occurrence where people actually wait around a little bit for other team members to respawn, though I'm sure I'm guilty of my share of rushing.

Character switching definitely doesn't happen much. I usually do it at least once every round switch and one more time mid-round if we lack a specific counter, but the message window rarely reports character changes from teammates.

Not sure if things will be better in comp.

Did they adjust the probability of getting legendaries? I just got my 4th legendary drop in the past 10 lootboxes. Zenyatta's Pharoah, 500 credits, Zarya's Goth :| and Tracer's punk :| :|

Bydobob

I don't get the hate for Hanzo. So easy to just spam arrows and hit the target, and you don't need to play him as a sniper to be effective. His sonic arrow is a great ability to have on the team too.

Karu

Played Durado PS4 offense.

Is the problem known with Torb's turret shooting through walls - seemingly unreachable on the left side when you enter? Incredibly frustrating and petty "tactic"...

Davidion

Did they adjust the probability of getting legendaries? I just got my 4th legendary drop in the past 10 lootboxes. Zenyatta's Pharoah, 500 credits, Zarya's Goth :| and Tracer's punk :| :|

Ahh, I see you've been getting all the lengendaries that I've not gotten in my first 25 loot boxes... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom