• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonic

Does anyone feel Zenyatta needs to be reworked? The more I play him the more Im wondering why I am not just playing with Mercy or Lucio. Seems to be that if you want to support, your better off with those 2 in pretty much every situation.

Easily receives the most frequent requests for a buff. Blizz said they're working on it.

Currently sitting at 1-6 in Xbox competitive ranking and I'm losing my shit. I really wish there was a way to know if I'm doing poorly relative to others or what but I can't believe these numbers are hurting anybody. Stats below from a payload game today where we lost.

screenshot.png

abundant

Friends sometimes, but mostly randoms. It's just pure luck of the draw which side you're on, but it's very rarely balanced. Maybe once or twice a day over the course of several hours.

Solo play on consoles is complete trash. Unless you're paired up with a group, your best bet is for Competitive Mode to work out.

Currently sitting at 1-6 in Xbox competitive ranking and I'm losing my shit. I really wish there was a way to know if I'm doing poorly relative to others or what but I can't believe these numbers are hurting anybody. Stats below from a payload game today where we lost.
How the hell did your team lose the match? Those are same damn good stats for a Mercy.

Do you guys think that the POTG should vary in length? I had one earlier with Roadhog where I got 5 kills to win the game in overtime on Gibraltar, but it only showed 3 of the kills. It would be nice if it showed the whole thing. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice.

Rixxan

Do you guys think that the POTG should vary in length? I had one earlier with Roadhog where I got 5 kills to win the game in overtime on Gibraltar, but it only showed 3 of the kills. It would be nice if it showed the whole thing. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice.

without a doubt, there should be a min and max range to allow for more awesome burst kills, and more methodical plays

Potg shouldn't focus on one character but something that stands out with a group You know how zarya it's and people kill them after. That's if there's more than one person. I doubt potg can be fixed. But I wouldn't mind it.show third person view

without a doubt, there should be a min and max range to allow for more awesome burst kills, and more methodical plays
Yeah, like, I don't need to see a Mercy walk around for ten seconds to revive at the very end, it should just show the revive.

Although I'm guessing they want to fine tune how the game chooses the play, because right now it's real iffy. I had a game the other day where I cleared the payload with a soldier ult by taking out 3 guys, including the annoying Tracer, and the play goes to a Winston that knocked one guy off the map. It gets annoying, but not a huge deal.

Repo Man

Even if they fixed it, rage quitters on the other team will prevent you from leveling up when you win. I don't know how the heck are they going to fix that.

I like to think and hope that a bit of time and patience will fix that. The more people will rage quit, the more I see said quitters get punished for doing it, maybe even get banned if they do it repeatedly or they'll simply end up at the bottom of the barrel. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic though.

zoukka

Still salty about placement matches. They put me in 40 and now I'm 47. I climbed seven ranks in not many games... fuck where I would be if the placements weren't so stupid.

Welp, competitive solo is managing to sap my goodwill for Overwatch. As a tank main I get shit for medals if my team's not doing well too, and I feel helpless -and- like I'm not excelling at all. :l Like what do you even do when your team's basically just rolling into the death grinder, not grouping at all, when you're Rein or Winston? Not shit, that's what. If I lead, no one follows, and I get crushed 6v1 or just hover ineffectively out of my own attack range. If I don't lead, then what am I good for as a tank, and people just run into the crowd without waiting for me.

I just don't know how to excel as Reinhardt or Winston in competitive.

Can someone please help me here? I really need advice on how to do better with Rein/Winston in competitive.

I like to think and hope that a bit of time and patience will fix that. The more people will rage quit, the more I see said quitters get punished for doing it, maybe even get banned if they do it repeatedly or they'll simply end up at the bottom of the barrel. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic though.

Blizzard has a very punishing perma-ban system that has a nasty usermap profile tracking. But I doubt they will perma-ban rage-quitters, even the more obvious ones who get reported on daily basis--we have to keep disconnects in mind.

Actually, I have an idea. Group up rage quitters together and never let them play with normal humans.

And oh, griefers should get perma-banned. There is no reason to deliberately turn into a complete bitch and go AFK because the flankers slots were taken before you.

Can someone please help me here? I really need advice on how to do better with Rein/Winston in competitive.

Practice in quick play and watch some high level replays.

For Reinhardt, don't get too defensive and keep an eye on your surroundings i.e watch out for Reapers/backline flankers, flying Pharahs and Bastion. Don't go sucide-charging when you are holding a choke point or when the whole team is on the other side. Also, learn which ults you can deal with/block and practice your charge and firestrike accuracy. As for your ult, don't waste it; spam the group up/ult ready message, and coordinate that with your teammates. And yes you can go apeshit with Reinhardt's hammer and try to take weak characters.

People in competitive are very familiar with Reinhardt countering, so I advice you to try and counter Reinhardt too instead of playing him; think of how to bypass his shield and bait his charage/firestrike.

Winston is a bit tricky. You need to play him a bit like a flanker--you should use his dash as much as possible as it recovers fast and does 50 damage. Try to position yourself somewhere in which you can dash to health packs or back to teammates, and remember that Winston is NOT a sufficient tank for the team--he is ideal for KoTH and against certain matchups. Remember that he isn't a defensive, shield-spamming character; get aggressive with his dash and chase flying pharahs and snipers (but be careful and sneaky about it).

Winston can easily be smoked in competitive because people anticipate his dash in, and they won't run away when you ult. They also know how to counter you with Roadhog. I suggest that you use Winston with another tank on KoTH maps.

zoukka

Well there's nothing you can do to uncoordinated teams, no matter what role you play. With Rein you want to shield your team whenever possible and engage when you feel you can safely pop ult and go ham on the opposing team. Use charge when it's safe (don't charge into the enemy team alone) and use firsestrike always when it's ready, that will build your ult fast.

With Winston your job is to jump enemy healers and snipers/builders and shield your team. You can also shield yourself when you jump the weak enemy heroes. Always use leap when it's ready, in and out you go.

Repo Man

Blizzard has a very punishing perma-ban system that has a nasty usermap profile tracking. But I doubt they will perma-ban rage-quitters, even the more obvious ones who get reported on daily basis--we have to keep disconnects in mind.

Blizzard did say that repeat offenders who keep ditching games over and over again would get banned from competitive play so we can but hope blizzard puts their money where their mouth is.

Blizzard did say that repeat offenders who keep ditching games over and over again would get banned from competitive play so we can but hope blizzard puts their money where their mouth is.

Only for the season though. But that is good enough; they playerbase will start to get cleaner soon (hopefully).

duckroll

It's a team game, scoring is very much centered around how well a character's role is contributing to helping the team at large. So if your team sucks, well, I don't know what to say. Reinhardt in particular is impossible to really do well solo if you have a bad team. My recommendation would be to avoid competitive until you can get a group of at least 4 people you know.

Winston I've found can be pretty useful even if your team sucks at coordination. If the problem is that everyone is soloing and playing semi-TDM rather than zoning into on the objective together, what you can do to take advantage of that is to watch for patterns (ie: which enemies are being drawn away from the objective by each of your teammates) and then leap right into the weak spots, throw down the shield, zap zap zap, and then use your tank HP to try and hold the objective while everyone else draws enemy fire. Sometimes the presence of Winston successfully holding a point is enough of a visual cue to draw your team to you, even if they were previously uncoordinated. Psychology is interesting.

Repo Man

Only for the season though. But that is good enough; they playerbase will start to get cleaner soon (hopefully).

Banned for the season iirc. I thought it was automatic once you left a certain threshold though.

Yeah sorry thats what I meant, banned from the current season. I kinda look forward to the first salty posts on the games forums where someone goes onto a full meltdown because they thought they could just keep ragequitting with no penalty whatsoever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Doesn't make sense with the character concept. He's a sniper/healer, so being squishy makes sense. If you give him 300 health, are you going to nerf the damage and discord debuff as well? If you do then he's even more useless. If you don't then he's too OP.

It's obvious this "sniper/healer" concept just isn't working. Zenyatta is only worth choosing over Lucio and Mercy for people who really like Zenyatta.

Overwatch Honors Fan Who Passed Away One Day Before The Game Came Out

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-honors-...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Hongyu Wu was a 20 year-old university student who passed away the day before Overwatch, a game he was eagerly anticipating, came out. He was reportedly trying to catch a thief who stole his friend’s motorbike. As part of a recent Overwatch patch, Blizzard paid him tribute.

On the Control Center portion of Lijang Tower, you’ll notice that the astronaut space suit display case has changed. As noted by Rebirdhk, the name “宏宇” (Hongyu) has been added to the red side. Behind it, you’ll find the phrase “英雄不朽” aka “heroes never die.”

I'm thinking Symmetra is not so great for competitive. I have a near 80 win rate with her in quick play because teams are just disorganized but when people are coordinating ults and flanking, Symmetra crumbles. Couldn't even keep up a teleporter in Numbani because this Tracer was running around unchallenged behind the first point.

Yeah, I'm unfortunately finding out the same. In about 10% of games on Quick play when I played Symmetra, the team would just blow through the first objective/payload checkpoint and I quickly realized that this just wasn't a Symmetra match and switched. In competitive that's pretty much 80-85%.

I dunno, competitive is kinda sucking the joy out of this game for me, as somebody who normally plays solo. Down to 48 now from a start of 54, after going on a run where I refused to quit until I finally got a win. Finally did... and my level slid up what looked like a hair's width. After dropping down a whole level with every single loss, seeing what I get for a win is making me realize I need to find a group or just resign myself to wallowing at the bottom of the rankings for the rest of this season.

pigeon

Banned
300's too high. Just bump him up to 200 esp since he no self healing on his base HP like Mercy and Lucio do.

He does, actually, it's just in the form of having shield HP. But I would still probably give him more hit points.

I think it would be entertaining to have Zenyatta's HP be 1 health, 174 shields.

Ultimately Zenyatta's healing is too slow for how cumbersome it is. The only advantage he has is high healing range, but he can't really apply that advantage because of the LOS problem and fear of snipers.

I might cut the natural healing down to 20/sec or so but give the ally with the orb some lifesteal.

Zeliard

Rein can be highly rewarding in general but difficult and frustrating to play in an uncoordinated team, but you can still try to do work with him in some cases.

But mainly, I would simply not pick him if the others on your team aren't picking heroes who are likely to sit behind his shield and shoot through it. If your team picks a bunch of flankers, I would go with someone like Zarya instead as your solo tank, even if it's on a payload map. There's a small exception to this, which is that if your flankers are actually good, they can distract and harrass the enemy heavily while you continue to push forward and offer up your own significant distraction. Hard to know that at the start when playing with randoms, though.

If you think your team might be up for it, ask someone to go Soldier 76 or McCree or someone similar who can help you push while sitting behind your shield. McCree can help out to some extent if flankers are giving you trouble, and S76 can lay down continuous fire and take some of the focus off of you.

duckroll

Okay going back to the Zenyatta vs Mercy/Lucio thing for a moment, thinking about it for a moment, I've come up with this conclusion:

For my personally, when deciding what character to play on a map if I feel like playing a support character and there isn't one at the moment, my considerations will be based on the game type and the general group composition. Analyzing my last bunch of picks, I've concluded that I pick Mercy when I feel that I'm working with a team that I can really trust with a solid balance between tanks and flankers.

I pick Lucio when I'm less confident or when the team balance is off such that I feel there is a larger coverage needed because it might be a team made up entirely of attacking characters who could be anywhere at a time. Or when it's a KOTH map. Then that goes without saying.

I only pick Zenyatta when: a) it is an attacking payload map, AND b) there is at least one tank, preferably two, and it is a map where there are chokepoints which can be pushed through successfully with a good use of transcendence.

pigeon

Banned
Okay going back to the Zenyatta vs Mercy/Lucio thing for a moment, thinking about it for a moment, I've come up with this conclusion:

For my personally, when deciding what character to play on a map if I feel like playing a support character and there isn't one at the moment, my considerations will be based on the game type and the general group composition. Analyzing my last bunch of picks, I've concluded that I pick Mercy when I feel that I'm working with a team that I can really trust with a solid balance between tanks and flankers.

I pick Lucio when I'm less confident or when the team balance is off such that I feel there is a larger coverage needed because it might be a team made up entirely of attacking characters who could be anywhere at a time. Or when it's a KOTH map. Then that goes without saying.

I only pick Zenyatta when: a) it is an attacking payload map, AND b) there is at least one tank, preferably two, and it is a map where there are chokepoints which can be pushed through successfully with a good use of transcendence.

My Mercy/Lucio picking strategy is a little different than yours (I think Mercy is a lot stronger on defense than offense), but in general I agree. In any given situation you can easily see whether Mercy or Lucio would be a better healing pick. It's hard to see the situation where you're like "oh, Zenyatta is clearly the best pick here." Unless you think your team is too low-damage but you're still going to pick a healer.

Frostburn

Zenyatta also works amazing well on Attack if you have a Lucio or Mercy already, by himself he isn't enough to carry the healing needed in team fights but can be a REALLY great secondary support to both keep crucial targets and the other healer alive as well as shut down their heavy hitters and tanks with his debuff.

My good friend tries to pick him on KoTH maps though...

duckroll

Mercy is definitely stronger on defense than offense. I agree. I was just saying that in a given situation if I expect the team to be "in formation" so to speak, Mercy is definitely the best pick. But Lucio works wonders if they're going to be more spread out, whether on attack of defense (KotH is the best example).

Zenyatta is almost like a prestige pick of sorts, where I feel it is SUPER satisfying when you pick him and the match works out, in the narrow situation I highlighted. It just feels good. But it's pretty much never the best logical pick. But that can be said about Mei as well.

My good friend tries to pick him on KoTH maps though...

LOL. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom