• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

man this thread moves fast

kind of a general question: anyone know what goes into mmr calculations in this game? I'm used to mobas and it being strictly w/l, but overwatch doesnt seem like it works that way. Also, blizz has this moba called heroes of the storm where the mmr/rank don't really correlate well, how is everyone feeling the skill -> rank correlation so far?

I know competitive came out so everything is settling so the landscape prob isnt indicative of much yet, but this game is huge and there is such a large sample, I'm sure there are some interesting numbers out there.

I guess there's no way of knowing w/o some sort of match aggregator or mmr projection (heroes has a semi-accurate third-party one at hotslogs.com), but the idea that there is an mmr system that doesnt go just w/l is really interesting to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
From observing the posts in here and elsewhere I think it's a combination of W/L and performance. Blizzard has stated that they have a rough idea of how people should be performing at what level and how this fits in the overall spread of players so I wouldn't be surprised if it's baked into the calculations.

Give it time. On PC I'm experiencing a lot more team work in Competitive, never heard so much voice communication either.

Yeah. I can't go back to quick play. Even when people aren't talking they are using the built in prompts and chat a lot more than they do in quick play. And it's been my experience thus far that people are much more flexible in swapping characters to help with team comp. I haven't been in a game yet where we haven't had a healer and a tank and in a lot of cases we've had two of each. It's great.

R0ckman

Yeah. I can't go back to quick play. Even when people aren't talking they are using the built in prompts and chat a lot more than they do in quick play. And it's been my experience thus far that people are much more flexible in swapping characters to help with team comp. I haven't been in a game yet where we haven't had a healer and a tank and in a lot of cases we've had two of each. It's great.

Exact opposite experience for all my placement matches, went back to quick play and people are actually trying on both sides.

man this thread moves fast

kind of a general question: anyone know what goes into mmr calculations in this game? I'm used to mobas and it being strictly w/l, but overwatch doesnt seem like it works that way. Also, blizz has this moba called heroes of the storm where the mmr/rank don't really correlate well, how is everyone feeling the skill -> rank correlation so far?

I know competitive came out so everything is settling so the landscape prob isnt indicative of much yet, but this game is huge and there is such a large sample, I'm sure there are some interesting numbers out there.

I guess there's no way of knowing w/o some sort of match aggregator or mmr projection (heroes has a semi-accurate third-party one at hotslogs.com), but the idea that there is an mmr system that doesnt go just w/l is really interesting to me.

I feel that It doesn't matter how they calculate MMR. The system just gives up trying to get a good match super fast and just gives you anything.

Exact opposite experience for all my placement matches, went back to quick play and people are actually trying on both sides.

Get out of placement before you talk. I don't say that condescendingly, but to say that my experience got much better outside of placement. But of course ymmv.

Your post placement rank isn't only determined by how your team does, but your individual performance. So don't get too discouraged if you are losing in placement. Just focus on playing your best.

This is ranked; my last placement match.

284A75928900F026D7F2486A124EA0BC68461C95

Then how are you 4-1?

Come on now. You carrying the whole team of Hanzo's and Genji's?

And Torbs. The other teams are bad too; I am smashing them with Reinhardt. I remember flanking a whole team from the right in Hollywood before their spawn, and then I ult and wipe out their whole team. I even lash out at my team when they "ez" and starting spouting nonsense when they didn't do shit.

Even when I keep nagging them to pick proper team comps, they still suck and go TDM or get stuck at choke points. They have no idea about positioning, and pressuring the other team when they have the payload.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I figured out why zenyatta actually sucks.
Everyone knows you're made of shit and can't get away so naturally they all try and score a free elimination.

Tracer is technically as squishy but no one can hit her so people ignore her.

When you hone in on a zenyatta there is nothing he can do about it except scream at his team.

Everyone knows you're made of shit and can't get away so naturally they all try and score a free elimination.

When you hone in on a zenyatta there is nothing he can do about it except scream at his team.

Yep.

I play healer and tank pretty much exclusively and I would never pick Zen under any circumstances.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

It's kill or be killed as Zenyatta. At higher levels of play, EVERYONE has more HP than you and more escapes than you.

Like I don't know how he got past beta like this and no one said, 'hey maybe we should look at Zenyatta'

R0ckman

Get out of placement before you talk. I don't say that condescendingly, but to say that my experience got much better outside of placement. But of course ymmv.

Your post placement rank isn't only determined by how your team does, but your individual performance. So don't get too discouraged if you are losing in placement. Just focus on playing your best.

Actually got screwed from placement played while KotH was bugged most of my games were koth, mostly played healer cause no one else would, got 38 and the matches have been hell since.

It's kill or be killed as Zenyatta. At higher levels of play, EVERYONE has more HP than you and more escapes than you.

Like I don't know how he got past beta like this and no one said, 'hey maybe we should look at Zenyatta'

they did, they reduced his hp cuz he was too powerfull

Oh. I apologize guys. I see you got screwed in rank. 30's is pretty shit tier. I got 57 out of qualifying (was fortunate enough to win all KOTH matches there and didn't play comp until the bug got fixed) and obviously to player base is going to be completely different. Disregard my comments and please accept my sincerest condolences. I don't know if I could play with those people. RIP.

Welp, I just had my best game with Reinhardt and the game glitched, freezing my stats at the beginning of the game, recording none of it.

Can't log in on Xbox got the message they are looking into things on console. But am I supposed to actually play something else for a little while now?

Zemm

Do people think we'll ever be allowed 3rd party matchmaking like cevo/faceit/esea? I'm going to guess no and what we have now is what we'll be stuck with which for me just isn't good enough.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Yeah, the most frustrating part about zenyatta is you never feel like you have agency in a situation where you're being attacked.

The most defensive thing you're allowed to do is either get 3 headshots in a row before they can hit you twice, or waste your ult to save yourself.

Dying as zenyatta either means you didn't hug the corner hard enough or they spotted you out of the corner of their eye and your team mates didn't spot him back.

Forced to go Mercy (who I am flatly bad with) because no one else in solo queue would take her. Somehow, we hold them before the second point on Hollywood defense.

On attack, I'm forced to be Mercy again. Nothing is working. With 20 seconds left, I say fuck this, switch to Zarya, push to the finish.

Luckily, someone switched to Lucio. But healing just isn't for me.

R0ckman

Oh. I apologize guys. I see you got screwed in rank. 30's is pretty shit tier. I got 57 out of qualifying (was fortunate enough to win all KOTH matches there and didn't play comp until the bug got fixed) and obviously to player base is going to be completely different. Disregard my comments and please accept my sincerest condolences. I don't know if I could play with those people. RIP.

Don't apologize, did not take offense to your support.

Honestly I feel like comp was rushed out. I have no idea why my placement matcges were so awful. Not ANY of them did anyone communicate.

Don't apologize, did not take offense to your support.

Honestly I feel like comp was rushed out. I have no idea why my placement matcges were so awful. Not ANY of them did anyone communicate.

Yeah. Placement was rough at times. Individual performance needs to be weighed more heavily in Season 2.

Ken

when i was doing placement matches i was wondering why no one talked when everyone said people were super chatty

turns out i had team voice chat turned off since launch oops

Zemm

when i was doing placement matches i was wondering why no one talked when everyone said people were super chatty

turns out i had team voice chat turned off since launch oops

I had it on and in my 30+ games I've had one where people actually talked. No one talks, like at all.

p3n

Three 5-player-premade stomps in a row. Level 25-80 solos against full teams of stars and double stars. How hard can it be to implement some basic group matchmaking?

Prelude.

Would Mr. Zen Monk benefit from not only a health boost, but as well with more mobility options?
Yes, but I think his biggest issue right now is the way his orbs work. They should increase the timeout limit to, ideally, 10 seconds, 3 are way too low to do anything useful and it forces him to constantly peek at enemies when he has no health and mobility.
His role is concepually a bit weird, he's kind of a sniper so he can stay away from the enemy in the back lines, but the line of sight mechanic makes him follow people and enemies to keep the orbs on and the bad health/mobility works against that. Additionally, his ult positions him right in the center of the team, and inevitably exposes him to the enemy as soon as he's done. He's just not efficient at all. In my opinion they should rethink his orbs and increase his mobility so he can actually get the fuck out when he needs to.

Zemm

haha you really do get the worst team comps. I thought mine were bad but those are another level of dumpster picks.

SeanR1221

I'm confused about how these ranked matches work. Sometimes we win and our side doesn't get a point? Or the payload doesn't have to go nearly as far? It's not even overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom