• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Hate to break it to you, but at that point Overbuff was comparing your extra long competitive matches against shorter quick play matches. It should be fixed now, though. They announced it on Twitter.

I haven't played competitive yet. Those "recently played" were the 10 quick matches I played during the time Master Overwatch / Overbuff weren't updating PS4 stats.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/SkillAuto/heroes/winston

That means the percentiles should be accurate right? I swear I'm doing good!

Grisby

300 wins for a skin seems like a lot. I'm not into golden stuff so I'll probably just save them for something else (assuming I stick with that mode).

Thought the comp release was next week? Surprised to see it after the patch.

bkw

What makes a bad Mercy anyway? If you're there healing and keeping everyone topped up, that's a pretty decent Mercy no? Is it a matter of how good/bad you are at self preservation and staying alive?

On the flip side, what makes a good Mercy? Resurrect timing? If everyone's healed up, and you have damage boost on someone who deals good damage, that's decent no?

I play Mercy a lot (cause I can't aim). I wonder if I'm good or bad. =D

Tabby

If you get disconnected, come back and end up winning the game but still lose points then what is the incentive for coming back? seriously there's no point.

Okay I lied. I tried to suck it up and give the game a chance. So I lost three straight today and got demoted two levels. I am 5-3 after placement, and I am lower than the rank I started at. Thank you Blizzard.

I have the screenshots and stats. I will make a topic in the official Overwatch forums to complain about this. I might free up some disk space too.

Went 7-3 in placement matches and got rank 53 :-/

Not sure how much competitive I'll play, really. I don't like the longer time commitment to each match. Quick match is a lot more fun to just sit down and do in short bursts.

daily ddos attack probably.

VgXCk.gif

Time to go see how the PS4 patch was handled then.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I picture those groups trying to climb through 60-70 are in for a lot of good/tough matches.

Solo Q is fine in the 43-47 level. Plenty of competent players and willing supports. Most likely the "I don't deserve to be this low, I'm gonna prove I'm good" bracket.

Also plenty of cannon fodder, but in general you're not carrying the likes of trolls, offensive hanzo/torbs (some gaffers in my placements fucked me by picking shit like this), and the bad picks are more rare than you'd think. All in all, it seems to have a balance of decent players so it hasn't been as frustrating as placements.

What makes a bad Mercy anyway? If you're there healing and keeping everyone topped up, that's a pretty decent Mercy no? Is it a matter of how good/bad you are at self preservation and staying alive?

On the flip side, what makes a good Mercy? Resurrect timing? If everyone's healed up, and you have damage boost on someone who deals good damage, that's decent no?

I play Mercy a lot (cause I can't aim). I wonder if I'm good or bad. =D

What makes a good Mercy varies from match to match. I got told I res at bad times earlier today. This as opposed to just letting my team stay dead while the enemy team caps the point, lol. So whatever. Me personally, I focus on keeping tanks alive and if they are good I jump around as needed damage boosting/healing Pharah, 76 and Junkrat, etc. If everyone is healed up I fall back and try to stay protected in case I have to use my ult.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Okay I lied. I tried to suck it up and give the game a chance. So I lost three straight today and got demoted two levels. I am 5-3 after placement, and I am lower than the rank I started at. Thank you Blizzard.

I have the screenshots and stats. I will make a topic in the official Overwatch forums to complain about this. I might free up some disk space too.

I'd wanna quit too if i played with 130-200ms ping. Your frustration is understandable but I can't sympathize from a players perspective. Essentially your experience is tough to enjoy from the start when the game is laggy.

Gator86

Went 7-3 in placement matches and got rank 53 :-/

Not sure how much competitive I'll play, really. I don't like the longer time commitment to each match. Quick match is a lot more fun to just sit down and do in short bursts.

Same to all of this. The longer matches aren't as fun. I just quit out of a game of KOTH because my team was fucking garbage and I couldn't stand to play a game with them that long.

Gurrry

Man.. dropping someones rank because you decide to stay when your entire team quits is some bullshit.

Gotta fix that garbage

Played the ten matches and I think I'm done with competitive. Too many broken pieces to take it seriously and it's not as pick up and play fun as standard.

Currently sitting at 2-12 for w/l in competitive playing mostly mercy, with lucio and d.va mixed in.

Over 9k avg heal with mercy, over 16k heals in one game using both mercy and lucio (we lost), over 12 resurrections per game, 18 in one game averaging 8.5 deaths per game.

Ranked 42

Permanently A

Wow, quick play is really gutted after competitive. Everyone who gave a shit about team comps and communication jumped ship to ranked. Now its a cesspool of hanzos and genjis. Good thing competitive is way better than quick play ever was.

Satch

Banned
Coin flip is such utter bullshit, i cant believe we have to wait for the season to be over before they patch it out

blizzard fucking sucks tbh

TheFatMan

So competitive play is basically Quick Play now....minus the quick part lol

I honestly see 0 difference in the skill level of the people I'm playing with. And crazy as it sounds I still see people leaving matches!

All these "Competitive is so much better" posts are delusional.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I honestly see 0 difference in the skill level of the people I'm playing with. And crazy as it sounds I still see people leaving matches!

Or maybe because through the random nature of a matchmaking system people are simply getting a different experiences?

mbpm1

Played with a good group

But in competitive and ranked we just got matched against groups just a little bit better in everyway and lost like 5 out of 6 games. The level of coordination was inhuman

Frustrating

But on the plus side, at least I now know my laptop keyboard is failing for sure and I need to get a usb one

R0ckman

I'm treating ranked like casual, I'm clearly not at my skill level because I'm mowing down a lot of players. Played with my friend and she dropped from mid 40s to 35. Its BS, and its just so freaking screwed I can't be bothered to care.

Season 1 should be completely scrapped, your rank, EVERYTHING.

What rank are you? That makes a huge difference.

I'd wanna quit too if i played with 130-200ms ping. Your frustration is understandable but I can't sympathize from a players perspective. Essentially your experience is tough to enjoy from the start when the game is laggy.

But I still do well despite the large handicap in ping. I maintained a +55% winrate in quick play by purely doing solo que. I almost always get gold medals. I am not amazing or even great, but I am at least average, which is people who understand all basics of the game and show a level of competency.

I know my limits; I don't get into pissing contests with the other team's duplicate of my hero; I play as smart and as lame as I can. But man, this is completely messed up; I am supposed to have leveled up by now. I just can't get my mind around this; I like the game but with every patch, I have more issues with it.

As for people above in regards to ranked, there are some amazing players out there who do take the game seriously. And there are other players who just tried the new mode as it is some sort of DLC. My best matches were vs high level groups and during an invite from Raider88 something (from the GAF group in EU).

Antiwhippy

I'll say this though, the all random matches i have played i wouldn't say they play it wrong, it's more like the general skill level is... lower? If I'm getting gold elims as mei (good elims too, i know what a trash mei elim is like) something is wrong.

Played with a good group

But in competitive and ranked we just got matched against groups just a little bit better in everyway and lost like 5 out of 6 games. The level of coordination was inhuman

Frustrating

But on the plus side, at least I now know my laptop keyboard is failing for sure and I need to get a usb one

Honestly this is why I play solo. I would get into groups on Discord, but we would be constantly grouped up with full teams as well and in most cases they were just simply better than us. I do much better by myself in terms in winning matches.

That said I'm kinda feeling 'blah' on the game after playing some more today. Comp can be fun, but it takes a lot out of me. I kinda just want to chill with my gaming experiences at the moment.

Permanently A

Coin flip is such utter bullshit, i cant believe we have to wait for the season to be over before they patch it out

blizzard fucking sucks tbh

Yeah the coin is pretty fucked, and I say this having won all my coin flips so far. Its just not fair for the other team. Like we had a very close match, and then we won because we got to attack on Volskaya Industries. Its impossible to defend the first point there.

Antiwhippy

I've managed to win defense on coin flip, but it was fucking close because it gives the attacking team enough time to build up their ults to unleash all at once.

Timer based comps please.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
First time hopping on this week.

Update/patch game. Join a match. It's mid match, already losing first point on Dorado. Enemy pushes right through checkpoint one, onto 2, and they don't get stopped once on their way to 3. They have like 7 minute left and all we're doing is spawning and dying.

I die as a Pharah, then a Roadhog, and then a Mercy twice.

I rage quit to desktop. Terrible way to come back to it.

mbpm1

Honestly this is why I play solo. I would get into groups on Discord, but we would be constantly grouped up with full teams as well and in most cases they were just simply better than us. I do much better by myself in terms in winning matches.

That said I'm kinda feeling 'blah' on the game after playing some more today. Comp can be fun, but it takes a lot out of me. I kinda just want to chill with my gaming experiences at the moment.

I'm so salty

They got more kills on us more quickly so they had ults faster

Then they would do things like full res + reaper Ult wiping us out, and if you tried to go after a squishy a team mate would immediately turn around and kill you.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well let's see how my placement goes on PS4 for competitive

Most likely 1-9, 2-8 going solo from the looks of it

XenoRaven

I know this would never happen, but it would be a great feature if they made it so that your team doesn't get a backfill if you have a "red" team comp flag. That way I don't have to get put in the middle of an impossible match where my team decided to pick all Mei. No thanks. Waste of my time.

Permanently A

Why is playing Mercy so hard, jesus.

I have the opposite experience, I find Mercy very enjoyable and relaxing to play. She's very passive, all you do is hang back, give your team callouts and heal/damage boost the appropriate people. The only time it gets stressful is when everyone is dead and the whole team is counting on you to swoop in with the gamechanging rez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom